What's new

A Current Affair and ABC Lateline on Fair Work

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
Re: A Current Affair on Fair Work

Over the years, I've done a bunch of volunteer work for environmental groups, political activism, and social services. Here's a little of what I've learned:

1. I tell the organisers when I'm going to turn up and leave - they are always grateful

2. So long as I am "presentable" (depending on what I'm doing) there's no dress code

3. So long as "the message" is delivered, there's no particular patter required, just full honesty about who I am representing and what we are trying to achieve

4. While interested in what has been achieved, there is little regard to any sort of "quota", just a request for "best effort"

5. So, I give it my best efforts but if there's little, if any, tangible results, no worries, "better luck next time" is the general mood

6. More than a couple of times myself and others have been told to take a break or go home and see loved ones - the "cause" is not as important as the personal lives of those involved or, rather, its better to have volunteers in for the long haul rather than letting them burn out over the short term​

. . . and so on. Does that sound like being a staff member at an org?

Zhent

Leakus Maximus
Regarding the 'new company registration' mentioned, I had a poke on ASIC and found the document/company mentioned (though not by name).

It is 'CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY AUSTRALIA' . The difference is apparently they have dropped 'limited' from the name.

ACN: 151 052 274

Date Number Pages Description
23/05/2011 027562187 43 218 Constitution of Company
23/05/2011 027562186 41 252 Evidence of Eligibility
19/05/2011 027562184 2 432A Application to Approve Name Without The Word 'Limited' - New
19/05/2011 027562185 11 202 Application For Registration

http://www2.search.asic.gov.au/cgi-bin/gns030c?acn=151_052_274&juris=9&hdtext=ACN&srchsrc=1

Not sure if thats a permalink, if not go to http://asic.gov.au and search 'Church of Scientology Australia' in the box on the right.

Edit: A sneak peak at the report:

abc1september1322370502.jpg

abc1september1322370503.jpg

abc1september13223705.jpg

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
Christian Churchgoers Beware

ACA just had a program on air about the upcoming findings from the Fair Work Ombudsman.

Yay Dean! :happydance:

There's no video on their website, but perhaps they will upload one soon.

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/video/

The Cof$ really has it coming to them on this issue of how it treats its people. This is for two reasons though:

1) They treat their staff like shit, especially the Sea Org. They live in really shitty conditions, they work rediculous hours, they are only volunteers in the sense that that, with the exception of Int and other Sea Org installations, they can simply walk away. In fact, there are all manner of psychological holds on them ... there is the guilt trip instilled on those who are "selfish" enough to walk and disconnection from family and friends. Then there is the matter of housemates. When I was in San Fran I got to visit with a house of Cof$ staff ... actually an apartment with lots of staffers living there, and moonlighting on the side at shitty little jobs just so they could afford their daily rations of stinkerettes, stale coffee, and nuclear noodles (you know, the dried ones that you nuke in water in the microwave.) Scientology staffers generally live in these situations, and, in the event of deciding to leave staff, there is the matter of finding new quarters and quickly. Then, with the Sea Org ... a great deal of the work that the sea ogres do has nothing to do with doing anything religious ... that would include paper shuffling, cleaning, waiting tables, duplicating tapes, cd's and dvd's, getting staged events on camera, etc. As a policy decision, the Australian govt. or any other national govt. could easily decide that there is no legitimate exemption from the minimum wage laws for these sorts of activity. Being an EO, recruiting others, redging, auditing, and perhaps a few other activities are legitimately exempted. They owe a lot of back pay to a lot of people. They might just fold up their tent and seek their fortunes elsewhere rather than comply and pay back wages. Most certainly, they have it coming on that count.

2) There is another count on which the "Cof$" has it coming ... they are corporate, having traded the rights of a religious assembly in exchange for the privilege of being a 501(c)(3) not for profit religious corporation. Furthermore, they behave like a corporate entity would, constantly fighting in court rather than just settling fairly when they know they are in the wrong, constantly litigating to fight the stench of bad PR, which, of late, is giving them worse PR everytime they try to stifle what is just free speech. As a corporate entity, they were given an "exemption" from the IRS such that there is no corporate income tax. HOWEVER ... part of the agreement with the IRS, google it, is that they require Social Security Numbers from their people. That is, Scientology "employs" in the legal sense of the word, making it an "employer." That means that they actually hold out taxes from the meagre earnings of their people. Their people are below the level of paying any federal, state, or local income tax, but FICA is held out, so is medicare. But since they are legally "employed", to NOT pay their people minimum "wage" (wage is a legal term as well, that applies to "employment" ... i.e., covered by Social Security)is, in the tax codes, EXPRESLY STATED AS A PRIVILEGE ... that is, there is a SPECIFIC EXEMPTION for RELIGIOUS workers. As per 1) above, the Cof$ abused that privilege and it deserves to have that privilege revoked. As far as having it coming to them ... this is a bit of poetic and ironic justice BECAUSE ... Scientology is a Godless religion. In a sense the philosophy exhaults man to godhood and seeks to overthrow the throne of the Creator of the Universe as far as His place in your life. Let's face it, we are not God nor are we even gods. People are flawed, and, when you have a religious organization that man as God or gods you start getting that stench of mankind ... where absent allegience to the Creator of the Universe that stench only grows, and the most cunning, corrupt, and ruthless ascend to power, because they are of their spiritual father, and guess who that is.

Anyways, a bit long winded, but here it is ... Scientology, which as both the Cof$ as well as the applied religious philosophy, having put man on the throne, could only POSSIBLY bow down to a God of man made POWER, which is government, a creation of corrupt mankind. They made government their master, and are now beginning to reap the consequences of this.

Now I am not sure as to specifics, but, and correct me if I am wrong ... painting with the broad brush, the codes governing this both here in the US as well as Australia are pretty similar and do pretty much the same things. Law is increasingly internationalised and "harmonized" and this is deliberate, done thru the Uniform Commercial Code, published by Unidroit corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Vatican. Increasingly the people within the legal community examine the court cases and prescidents set in other countries. So if Australia succeeds in this attack, the US and the UK may also follow suit.

Here is the warning:

Legitimate Christian churches need to take heed, because here is government intervening in the affairs of a church whereas in the past there was more of a hands off policy when it came to religion. Now, the average Christian pastor would probably comment that with his church, there is nothing to fear because they don't engage in abusive behavior like that. But that isn't the point ... the point is if a church is incorporated, it has specific legal vulnerabilities because it exchanged right for privilege. In doing so, it has become servant to Caesar. The Lord tells us that you can't serve two masters. It would be one thing if govt. was rigidly adhering to the rule of law based upon Biblical principals, but those days are long since gone, and, increasingly, there is a conflict of interest in attempting to serve God while you have made, in a legal sense, Caesar your master. If Caesar is master (over a church) and Caesar refuses to be bound the rule of law based upon Biblical principals, Caesar will continue to abuse power until at some point every sermon will have to be approved by some govt. agent, and, as long as a church continues to "employ" people rather than just hire without legally "employing" then at some point it would be impossible to bring on a new "employee" unless said prospective person pass a DHS background check. It will come to that if nobody says no to it. Already, Christian pastors have been recruited by FEMA to preach on Romans 13 if they round people and put them on busses for a natural disaster, which means that there is a possibility they may be used in a situation of rounding up dissidents.

Back in the days of the early Church, the time of the book of Acts. Christians were routinely persecuted. Why? From some teaching I have heard on the subject, the Romans were very tolerant of ANY religion as long as they put Caesar above their god. The early Church of those days couldn't do that and wouldn't do that, they knew that Caesar could not be placed above the throne of God and were willing to die for that principal. But today, here in America and I am guessing Australia as well, the Church has pretty much fallen asleep on watch and will go along with whatever the govt. requires. The Christian Church should take heed of what is happening to the Cof$ in Australia ... not because the Cof$ had it coming, which they did, but because the exercise of power of the govt. over the Cof$ will have done nothing but whet the appetite of the beast, and, as a corporate entity that has made Caesar its master, may find itself on the dinner plate of that same beast.

Pete

Cherished

Silver Meritorious Patron
Pete,

The Australian government has never been loathe to require religious organisations, incorporated or not, to comply with various laws, including labour and tax laws. This country is quite different from the USA in that respect. Yes, they do grant concessions re taxation, but that's due to the expectation that religious organisations meet public needs of various kinds, including (for most of them) social inclusion.

Still, it is mighty nice to see our government stepping up. I certainly hope that the final report meets my expectations!

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
Pete,

The Australian government has never been loathe to require religious organisations, incorporated or not, to comply with various laws, including labour and tax laws. This country is quite different from the USA in that respect. Yes, they do grant concessions re taxation, but that's due to the expectation that religious organisations meet public needs of various kinds, including (for most of them) social inclusion.

Still, it is mighty nice to see our government stepping up. I certainly hope that the final report meets my expectations!

The point I was trying to make regarding my post is this is a double edged sword, and that govt. stepping up not only cuts the balls off of the Cof$, but further empowers the govt. in the area of regulating churches that are incorporated. As a nation moves into tyranny, govt. cracks down on churches that want to remain independent while tolerating only certain govt. approved churches. The communist party in the Soviet Union had a deal going with the Eastern Orthodox Church while persecuting small independent churches. If you went to confession you were talking with the Cheka, later known as the NKVD and the KGB, aka the committee for state security ... the motto being "the sword and shield of the communist party."
When government becomes God it doesn't want any rivals.

Here in the US, no church has gone further out of its way to make government its God. They rest their legitimacy on being recognized as a religion by the IRS. Since when does a church need to be recognized by a bill collector to be legitimate? Therefore it is only fitting that they are forced to pay back wages/minimum wages, they are the ones that stuck their foot in the bear trap and have nobody to blame but themselves. And in doing so, they have served their true spiritual master who is using them to sharpen his sword to go after Christian churches that have saddled themselves with the same legal vulnerability.

Pete

Happy Days

Wonderful wonderful ...

Thanks Deano you were great on ACA but of course the CoS won't see it like that... even though they recently body routed you up into the ACT Org... and now look what's happened :biggrin: big hugs to you and Sir Facer ...

ABC Lateline was just great and the gates have now opened for claims against the CoS Australia and I hope FWO are ready.

Also what a 'conflict of interest' for OSA ANZO ... they too don't get paid, they too are getting older with no retirement plan and have little or no options if they wish to leave their employment due to money constraints etc.

So does OSA ANZO fight tooth and nail for the cause and give up potential income (pay) for themselves or do they hope like hell it goes the ex's way and the CoS fail in their legal battle and a big fat pay cheque is coming their way and their financial future is looking so much brighter ... what a moral dilemma :biggrin:

More disagreement checks for Vicki Dunstun on this one for sure ... hey Vick :yes:

Or will OSA ANZO be bypassed on this hot hot flap and OSA terminals from other countries come in and fight for the cause .... because at the end of the day they will end up with the same 'no pay scenario' at their orgs when we are successful here in Oz.

Will Int Mgt bail out the Aussie CoS???? :roflmao::roflmao:

So many questions :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

jenni with an eye

Great job Dean :dance:

Excellent reports by both ACA and Lateline. :dance:

Thanks Zhent for getting these up so quickly. :dance:

'Volunteers'....:whistling:

Yep... I wonder when the last 'volunteeer' was 'allowed' to spend a day with his/her family....or when the last 'volunteer' was 'allowed' to spend public holidays with family and friends and not working their arse off in the church of scientology.

Yep...I also wonder when the last 'volunteer' was not bullied and berated for not being upstat.

Yep...'volunteers'...so that explains why the sign in Melbourne org says 'now hiring'..

Yep...that explains everything...:hysterical:

:scnsucks::scnsucks::scnsucks:

:smoking:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Some other media:

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...nfair-pay-claims/story-e6frfku0-1226136433924
Scientology hits back over unfair pay claims

THE Church of Scientology is disputing that it unfairly pays its workers and is upset that a draft report has been released.

A final report by the Fair Work Ombudsman is due for release later this week, but a draft report has found some workers were paid as little as $10 a week by the church despite it earning more than $17 million in 2009.

It contains allegations of false imprisonment and forced labour.

"The allegations ... may potentially be a breach of the provisions of the Criminal Code Act 1995 dealing with slavery ... the Fair Work Ombudsman will refer the witnesses' allegations to the relevant authority for further investigation," ABC Television quoted the draft report as saying.

It also found the church had incorrectly classified as volunteers or voluntary workers people who were entitled to be classified as employees, which could mean it is forced to backpay people if the final statement of findings reflects the draft report.

The church has released a statement saying religious and community work is undertaken by volunteers and those doing religious service.

"This is no different to many other charities and religions in Australia, which rely upon the generosity of their volunteer workers and ours do so freely, wishing to help their Church and community," the church said.

It also said it was wrong to say that the church had applied to the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) to register a new company name, two days after it received the draft findings.

It said the NSW Office of Fair Trading had instructed it to transfer its registration to ASIC in late 2009.

"The transition required a great deal of work by volunteers Church of Scientology staff and was only completed in May 2011 and the filing was entirely coincidental," the church said.

"The suggestion that the change in registration was designed to circumvent any negative findings against the church by the Fair Work Ombudsman is outrageous, wrong and defamatory."

The church also said the draft report was supposed to remain confidential.

"It is quite unfair for any analysis of such draft finding to take place when they are not the final decision of the regulatory authority."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...ms/story-e6frfku0-1226136433924#ixzz1XsR3wVex

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...r-work-ombudsman/story-e6frg6nf-1226136281876

Scientologists face low-pay accusations from Fair Work Ombudsman
THE Church of Scientology has been accused of underpaying workers to the extent that it may face criminal charges, according to a draft report by the Fair Work Ombudsman.

Following allegations of Scientology employees working excessively long hours for little pay last year, the Fair Work Ombudsman launched an investigation into the organisation's practices.

According to the draft report from the ombudsman, obtained by the ABC's Lateline program, some work practices may have been in breach of criminal laws.

"The allegations . . . may potentially be a breach of the provisions of the Criminal Code Act 1995 . . . the Fair Work Ombudsman will refer the witnesses' allegations to the relevant authority for further investigation," the draft report stated.

Allegations aired on the ABC a year earlier included one woman saying that she was asked to work 72 hours without sleep while trying to organise "auditor training" for someone overseas.She was aged 15 at the time.

While the church argues its religious work is done by volunteers, the draft report found "it is likely the Church of Scientology has incorrectly classified as volunteers or voluntary workers people who are entitled to be classified as employees".

The report also found staff of Scientology's elite Sea Org worked up to seven days a week for as little as $10 a week.

While the church had argued that this group of people were not covered by the Fair Work Act as they were part of a Holy Order, the draft report found: "This is not a persuasive view and is not consistent with the law."

In a statement, the Church of Scientology labelled the release of the draft report to Lateline as "outrageous".

"It is quite unfair, outrageous and highly unethical for any analysis of such draft findings to take place when they are not the final decision of the regulatory authority."

ACA: http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/investigations/8298149/scientology-fair-work-scandal

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/vol...gy-low-pay-probe/story-e6frg12c-1226136476712

Petey C

Re: A Current Affair on Fair Work

There were no actual links to docs, they just set forth the Co$ response in full:

"It is inappropriate for the Church to make comment on the claims of former volunteers and religious ministers of the Church of Scientology, given that they have filed formal complaints with the Fair Work Ombudsman and that investigation is now in progress. This should be allowed to run its course.

The Fair Work Ombudsman has not handed down any findings and has requested all parties keep confidential the interim findings.

All religious work for the Church of Scientology is done by volunteers and their period of religious service helping others and engaging in community work such drug education; literacy and numeracy programs; health; human rights promotion and disaster relief is also a manifestation of their religious beliefs.

This is no different to many other charities and religions in Australia, which rely upon the generosity of their volunteer workers and ours do so freely, wishing to help their Church and community.

The Church of Scientology was declared a bona fide religion by the High Court of Australia in 1983."

:puke:

Petey C

The point I was trying to make regarding my post is this is a double edged sword, and that govt. stepping up not only cuts the balls off of the Cof$, but further empowers the govt. in the area of regulating churches that are incorporated. As a nation moves into tyranny, govt. cracks down on churches that want to remain independent while tolerating only certain govt. approved churches. The communist party in the Soviet Union had a deal going with the Eastern Orthodox Church while persecuting small independent churches. If you went to confession you were talking with the Cheka, later known as the NKVD and the KGB, aka the committee for state security ... the motto being "the sword and shield of the communist party."
When government becomes God it doesn't want any rivals.

Here in the US, no church has gone further out of its way to make government its God. They rest their legitimacy on being recognized as a religion by the IRS. Since when does a church need to be recognized by a bill collector to be legitimate? Therefore it is only fitting that they are forced to pay back wages/minimum wages, they are the ones that stuck their foot in the bear trap and have nobody to blame but themselves. And in doing so, they have served their true spiritual master who is using them to sharpen his sword to go after Christian churches that have saddled themselves with the same legal vulnerability.

Pete

CoS allies itself with other religions and churches precisely because it makes it hard to get to CoS, whose practices are considerably worse wrt its staff and public than most other churches/religions (except for the equally wacky). CoS's decision to church up was probably driven by tax exemption but also protection under govt laws to keep church and state separate, and one consequence of this is protection from other churches/religions when they herd together to ward off unwelcome intrusion.

As Cherished implies, though, all organisations and persons within a nation have a duty to observe the laws of the land. IMO that's a good thing, not a bad thing. Particularly when they get such huge economic benefits from tax concessions. It doesn't at all mean that the State is interfering in religion; the State in this case is only protecting the human rights of its citizens and insisting they are adhered to.

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
CoS allies itself with other religions and churches precisely because it makes it hard to get to CoS, whose practices are considerably worse wrt its staff and public than most other churches/religions (except for the equally wacky). CoS's decision to church up was probably driven by tax exemption but also protection under govt laws to keep church and state separate, and one consequence of this is protection from other churches/religions when they herd together to ward off unwelcome intrusion.

As Cherished implies, though, all organisations and persons within a nation have a duty to observe the laws of the land. IMO that's a good thing, not a bad thing. Particularly when they get such huge economic benefits from tax concessions. It doesn't at all mean that the State is interfering in religion; the State in this case is only protecting the human rights of its citizens and insisting they are adhered to.

The "law of the land" as you use that expression is bogus. "The law of the land" is common law. By going the corporate route, the Cof$ has put itself under an entirely different system known as "equity" or "equity law". It is an entirely different system of things. Most of what is known as "statutory law" falls under that. Once you volunteer yourself over into that system, you are then subject to such things as the income tax, gun restrictions, laws prohibiting such things as marijuana, etc. The problem is that not only did Scientology volunteer itself over into that system, so did virtually all Christian churches as well have done so.

The govt. has an agenda. The Australian govt. is part of the same system, with slight variations, as the rest of the English speaking world. That includes the US, Canada, Great Britian, Australia, New Zealand, and some others. We are all pretty much on the same page agenda wise, all bankrupt and in receivership to the same banking families that call the shots. The US, in exchange for having the world reserve currency, has the burden of being the main military might for this juggernaut. Other countries are further down the road internally towards total govt./command and control tyranny, on such issues as socialized medicine, the total surveilance society (look at what they did in London), going into a bankrupt austerity program, gun grabbing, etc. There are those exposing the beast system in all these countries. I would say at the tip of the spear is Alex Jones and his organization. Exposing these b'tards is not enough tho.

An independent church that operates on right and speaks out against these things is NOT something that they want. A people that are Christian, believe in God, and have a strong faith also runs counter to their agenda. So make no mistake ... any ground gained by the globalists in giving the Cof$ the beatdown it so richly deserves can and WILL be used against other churches, as long as they have their foot in the same bear trap that the Cof$ put itself into, i.e., church incorporation. And for Freethinker ... feel free to chime in here, I'm sure you know exactly what I am talking about.

Pete