What's new

Anonymous' Battle Against the Westboro Baptist Church

Anonycat

Crusader
(full article: http://www.vice.com/read/anonymous-battle-against-the-westboro-baptist-church )

UPDATE: Twitter has reactivated the @YourAnonNews account. We'll let you know what happens next.

Over the past few days, Anonymous has been beating their virtual war-drums in the general direction of the Westboro Baptist Church. You probably already know exactly who the Westboro Baptist Church is, but if not, we made a documentary on it that you can watch here. They’re that group of extremist Christians who are famous for vile hate speech slogans like “God Hates Fags” that have earned them the ire of pretty much every rational human being on the planet.

After the unspeakably depressing mass murder at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut last Friday, Westboro drove its flag of awfulness even deeper into the cortex of basic civility, by announcing that they would be protesting the vigils for the victims of the Connecticut shootings in order “to sing praise to God for the glory of his work in executing his judgment." Executing his judgment against innocent children at the hands of an assault rifle wielding insane person? Holy shit, right? Well, certain members of Anonymous felt like that too, so they proceeded to launch a virtual offensive against the church, which led to the public service announcement embedded below and the release of personal information on Westboro Church leaders. As the robotic Anonymous voice says in the video: "We have seen your depraved methods of disseminating your message of hate throughout the United States of America... your hatred supersedes your faith... Since your one-dimensional thought protocol will conform not to any modern logic, we will not debate, argue, or attempt to reason with you."

[video=youtube;eB3wSK0Xi58]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB3wSK0Xi58&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Purple Rain

Crusader
(full article: http://www.vice.com/read/anonymous-battle-against-the-westboro-baptist-church )

UPDATE: Twitter has reactivated the @YourAnonNews account. We'll let you know what happens next.

Over the past few days, Anonymous has been beating their virtual war-drums in the general direction of the Westboro Baptist Church. You probably already know exactly who the Westboro Baptist Church is, but if not, we made a documentary on it that you can watch here. They’re that group of extremist Christians who are famous for vile hate speech slogans like “God Hates Fags” that have earned them the ire of pretty much every rational human being on the planet.

After the unspeakably depressing mass murder at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut last Friday, Westboro drove its flag of awfulness even deeper into the cortex of basic civility, by announcing that they would be protesting the vigils for the victims of the Connecticut shootings in order “to sing praise to God for the glory of his work in executing his judgment." Executing his judgment against innocent children at the hands of an assault rifle wielding insane person? Holy shit, right? Well, certain members of Anonymous felt like that too, so they proceeded to launch a virtual offensive against the church, which led to the public service announcement embedded below and the release of personal information on Westboro Church leaders. As the robotic Anonymous voice says in the video: "We have seen your depraved methods of disseminating your message of hate throughout the United States of America... your hatred supersedes your faith... Since your one-dimensional thought protocol will conform not to any modern logic, we will not debate, argue, or attempt to reason with you."

[video=youtube;eB3wSK0Xi58]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB3wSK0Xi58&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Yeah, I saw that. I think what Anonymous is doing is great but I didn't like that particular video at all.

I wasn't thrilled about the "desecrating the name of God" and "sacred scripture" and "abuse the holy bible" bits. Many Anons are unbelievers who take pride in desecrating the name of God. So I don't know - it seemed disingenuous or unrepresentative to me.

But mostly I thought that bit about Joshua was uncalled for. The woman is awful but why take it out on her son, let alone the judgement about "loose" morals, particularly with the sort of things posted on 4chan.