What's new

Australians in Scientology

Carmel

Crusader
I must be the odd man out. I knew that Mystery Sandwich had the occasional run in with Phyll, but I never had a problem with her at any time. Except of course, the time when she and Jan Mullane conspired and succeeded in trapping me into signing a Sea Org billion year contract.

Phyll, BTW, was a full commander and the last I had heard, from a posting on OCMB, she was shipped off from FSO, or more accurately dumped, in a retirement home in southern Florida, without any scientology materials or contact with the CofS.

Regards, David.

Not quite, Phyll recruited me for syd day staff when she was CO there. Then she looked after me the whole time she stayed at Syd Day and later on when she was CO ANZO... It was her idea that got the Cont TTC going and she made sure I got paid the equivilent of what I was earning in my wog job so I could supervise the Cont TTC full time.

If anything, she would go out of her way to make sure I was doing fine

Well, when it came to Phyll, it obviously paid being a charming pretty boy. :coolwink:

Sadly, being a timid Kiwi chick certainly had its consequences. :hide:

ULRC/S

Patron with Honors
I never had any problems with Phyll, and I would never consider myself to be a pretty boy.

But she sure was one "on purpose" lady, like her or not. One story I heard was that in the early 70's when the 2 hour blinkless TR0 requirement came out (new newcomers, you think you got it hard?) she was ordered to TRs.

Her attitude was apparently "Fuck this Dev-T" and she just sat down for two hours, did it perfectly, said "OK?" and went back on post!

Change of subject. Anyone have recent info on Virginia Stewart? She is/was ANZO PR but recently that seems to have been covered/footbulleted by others?

Regards, Allen

DartSmohen

Silver Meritorious Patron
Ummmm no Nettie married one of the Allcocks and she still is in - means I am Marion - how are ya? Guess I must know you then.

Ozzie:yes:

Yes, you do.

I remember you in the Stables. You used to "model" turquoise underwear and had long blond hair.

Dart:yes: :clap:

ozzie

Patron with Honors
Yes, you do.

I remember you in the Stables. You used to "model" turquoise underwear and had long blond hair.

Dart:yes: :clap:

Oh my!!!! :ohmy: I certainly don't remember modeling underwear at any time - but yes I have long blonde hair then and now.

Hmmmmm now I'm really curious as to who you are!
How bout a clue?

Ozzie

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Oh my!!!! :ohmy: I certainly don't remember modeling underwear at any time - but yes I have long blonde hair then and now.

Hmmmmm now I'm really curious as to who you are!
How bout a clue?

Ozzie

Maybe you were "modelling it" in the privacy of your room.

Some of us know who Dart is. I'm sure he will reveal himself to you by PM.

He might say who he is too. :)

Paul

ozzie

Patron with Honors
HAHA! Yep he did!

As far as modeling underwear - sure don't remember it - not in front of any dudes anyway.

Now I'm stuck on trying to remember my turquoise underwear..........

:confused2:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
HAHA! Yep he did!

As far as modeling underwear - sure don't remember it - not in front of any dudes anyway.

Now I'm stuck on trying to remember my turquoise underwear..........

:confused2:

He didn't say it was YOUR turquoise underwear you were wearing. Maybe it was his.

Paul

Human Again

About 2 cents worth.

I remember Phyll Stevens on tour in AK. She was scary.
Steve Stevens, (earlier with John Parselle but later with his own minions including Fleur) .....They had worked out how to suck money out of people like a high pressure vacuum cleaner. Steve S. and John Parselle seemed to have "in people" and "out people".

The cool and the uncool. The uncool were regarded with contempt even as they coughed up their dollars (or as they left the Reg office).

That is what has been in my mind as I read this thread and other threads.
The ego rubbing that came from being in someone's "in group".
And the fact that whoever we personally like, or wanted to like us, that person may have been an absolute C*** to others that they thought were worthy only of contempt.
Seems to be a common thing in the cult. Although there were some who were genuinely above that sort of thing.

Oh yeah, and I have seen this in other groups too, as soon as it became aparent I absconded, the smell of "cult" being like mortien to a mozzie.

And this was with staff, public and crew. Me, well, I've never ever managed to be one of the cool ones. Guess I am just too sincere. LOL!

Carmel

Crusader
Oh yeah, and I have seen this in other groups too, as soon as it became aparent I absconded, the smell of "cult" being like mortien to a mozzie.

And this was with staff, public and crew. Me, well, I've never ever managed to be one of the cool ones. Guess I am just too sincere. LOL!

It's funny/sad how we can sometimes get the wrong idea......when you and I first met on chat some months back (and we found out who eachother was), I wasn't sure if you'd wanna talk to me particularly or not, considering that I thought you were part of the 'cool' group, and that I wasn't. That false concept I had, got blown outta the water though, in very short order :duh:

I don't think I ever really considered that there was a "cool group" in real terms, but certainly many in the Tours Org thought they were cool, and seemed to find it difficult to 'stoop' to our level. There were exceptions of course - you being one, and Steve Rule being another for example.

All good now, but dear oh dear! After those first couple of years for me, with us lot on staff (when we were all young and broke, and an inclusive lot), things changed and there was nothing cool about anything much anymore - it was just a battle to survive it seemed. :melodramatic:

Human Again

It's funny/sad how we can sometimes get the wrong idea......when you and I first met on chat some months back (and we found out who eachother was), I wasn't sure if you'd wanna talk to me particularly or not, considering that I thought you were part of the 'cool' group, and that I wasn't. That false concept I had, got blown outta the water though, in very short order :duh:

I don't think I ever really considered that there was a "cool group" in real terms, but certainly many in the Tours Org thought they were cool, and seemed to find it difficult to 'stoop' to our level. There were exceptions of course - you being one, and Steve Rule being another for example.

All good now, but dear oh dear! After those first couple of years for me, with us lot on staff (when we were all young and broke, and an inclusive lot), things changed and there was nothing cool about anything much anymore - it was just a battle to survive it seemed. :melodramatic:

LOL!! Oh Carmel, you were always "cool" in my eyes and you still are! :bighug:

Tours was very elitist and you're right about Steve Rule - he was one sincere sweetheart. Sue Bloomberg - McIntosh was "cool" all the Bloomberg's were "cool" as was anyone with the surname Stevens or Denness. - and funny, other than Steve and myself everyone was so tall!

Other not so cool people were Michelle (who became Dunstan) Johnny Dunstan himself, who always had that "over my head" look when one of the cool guys took a pot shot at him, Sue's husband ( name escapes me right now but he was a very nice man). You know what... I can't think of anyone joining Tours after me. Funny that.

All that elitism had a purpose - enough "ethics presence" and you'd say "hand over your money" and they would. :omg:

mysterysandwich

Patron with Honors
Why I love AUstralians

In my Canadian High School yearbook (circa 1969), I wrote under “future plans” that I am going to Australia.

True.

So I am not an Australian. Or at least not by birth.

But in 1972, one could walk off a ship at any port in Australia, have their passport stamped-good for one year-then have it stamped again twelve months later, and twelve months later again. After the second or third time, you got an automatic permanent residency visa, good for life, provided you didn’t leave the country at any time for a period of more than 3 consecutive years.

Well, that’s how I entered the country and managed to stay on-for a period of nearly 7 years.

And though I reckon I can claim the privilege of citizenship now in my heart, alas, I failed to seek to make that status official while it was still possible for me to do so. Sadly, I allowed my permanent residency visa to expire AND didn’t act to obtain dual citizenship while that visa was still valid. Those things rank right up there as two of my biggest regrets.

So I was little more than a kid at the time of my arrival in Sydney-just 20 years old in July of ’72. I had been on my own for some time by then, having sailed for the South Pacific out of Vancouver some 6 months earlier, in the dead of winter. Had bummed around in Hawaii and Fiji for a bit, then hitch-hiked and worked all over New Zealand. But it was winter in the southern hemispheres by this time and I had had enough of the cold and wet in Wellington.

Thumbed some rides back up to Auckland where I managed to get a berthing on a ship headed to Sydney. We pulled out of port shortly after dark in the evening and I was on my way on the final leg of my journey.

The tale of my trip up to that point is a whole story in itself, but I’ll leave that for another thread.

My Scio track for the most part both begins and plays out in Sydney. And a pretty intense time that was. Basically, I walked into the Org there off the street, of my own volition, no more than a few days after arriving in Sydney. Never heard of Scientology before, bought Dianetics, read it, and two days later was asking to do a course. Called home to Canada to have all my reserve funds sent to me so I could buy the training package, did my Levels, joined staff and stayed on as an auditor in Sydney Org for over 6 years. I estimate I audited around 12,000 hours while there, in total. And that’s another story in itself too. But also one for another thread.J

I'd like to say why I love Australians(!)

Now this could be a long post. Ahem.
So….more to follow. But for now, I think a friend of mine said it best.

He says, “You know how when you are on a flight and the plane hits some major turbulence? You can always tell who on board are the Australians and who are not-especially when the turbulence is exceptionally rough. Everyone else is gasping and there’s the odd scream here and there, and even some crying, but it’s the Australians who are all going “YEE HAA!! !” :happydance:

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Heh. by the time I wanted to emigrate, the friggin Ozzies had a bunch of numerical quota things I couldn't possibly hit.

But, I still like Ozzies. I'd let one sleeep in my water-heater-closet any day, if they promised to change socks once a week.

Zinj

Tim Skog

Heh. by the time I wanted to emigrate, the friggin Ozzies had a bunch of numerical quota things I couldn't possibly hit.

But, I still like Ozzies. I'd let one sleeep in my water-heater-closet any day, if they promised to change socks once a week.

Zinj

Do they wear socks?

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Anybody have stories about Linnah or Kevin McPherrin back in the 70's at Sydney Org?
I liked them both VERY much.

Linnah was the my Course Supe and made study an adventure and pleasure.

Kevin was "cool" (as in very with-it) to these eyes and made life interesting.
I can't recall much else about him right now except for the infamous "illegal-importation" of a Porsche (or was it a TransAM?) incident and its unfortunate consequences.

Why do you ask?

mysterysandwich

Patron with Honors
I have stories about Kevin and Linnah for ya

Anybody have stories about Linnah or Kevin McPherrin back in the 70's at Sydney Org?

I have a few :)
Summer of ’72. Well, summer in Sydney, that is. That’s when they arrived at the org there.
First thing I remember hearing about Linnah and Kevin was that a couple from the US were on their way to Sydney to take the course, so we were all excited at the prospect of these two showing up.

Both young college grads from Chicago and recently married, Kevin and Linnah had flown to Japan, planning to make their way down through South East Asia to Australia. At some point in their journey (I seem to recall) they found the book Dianetics, liked what they read, and arranged to do the course in Sydney, their intended destination.

That journey was an adventure in itself! They were such a cool couple!

Linnah arrived first actually, having hitch-hiked across Australia all the way from Perth, even managing to snag a flight in a private plane at one point. Quite a feat for a young woman alone (and pregnant!)

Kevin was still in Kupang, in Portuguese Timor, trying to sell their boat-a diesel-powered fishing vessel they bought in Singapore and sailed in (or rather, had motored in) all the way south and east through Indonesia along the Sumatran and Javanese coasts, to Bali and beyond.

They were the proverbial hippie couple. Both tanned, young and striking. Attractive, though not in a conventional sense.

Linnah was sort of a cross between a sun-bleached blonde girl-next-door and…..well, a native American or cave woman. Darryll Hannah comes to mind especially in her role in Clan of the Cave Bear. Linnah was virtually silent-very, very soft-spoken when she spoke at all. And her mode of dress was primarily arcadian. She preferred rustic adornment such as a short leather strip beaded at the end in her hair, a feather or feathers, a handmade leather, beaded pouch, that sort of thing. Though blonde, her hair was quite thick, bordering on curly, uncut and long, parted in the middle. There was nothing “Chicago” about her at all. She was not coy or seductive in any way. Just very basic, straight, sincere, and completely unsophisticated. Capable and enduring.

She rarely, if ever, wore pants. It was a dress or shorts. And she looked like she would much prefer to go barefoot at every opportunity if she could. If not that, then sandals.
I don’t know how she did it, but somehow she managed to stay perpetually tanned.

She looked like she could be quite comfortable in the absence of modern conveniences of any kind whatsoever. While pregnant, for instance, she carried the baby high and it showed no more than a round, volleyball-sized bump. You read these stories of native women leaving to go into the forest alone to give birth, then reappearing later in the day, babe in arms, quite prepared to return directly to their work. That was Linnah.

I remember Kevin the day he arrived also. He had extremely long hair, down to his waist. Fairly tall, with a big, quite distinctive nose that on anyone else would look obtrusive but on him, not.
Kevin was a swimmer in college and had the broad chest and shoulders and narrow waist and hips to show for it.
Kevin was like a cool version of the Fonze. Seriously. His laugh, his body motions…. his “look” was just cool, but somehow unaffected. There was just something about him you could not dislike.

Later on he cut his hair but it was still shoulder-length. And he was an artist of sorts. (more on that later).

A very physical guy. Big arms, always kept himself in good shape.

His is a classic rags to riches story. More on that later too.
Yeah. I have a ton of stories about them.

Very interesting lives.
Kevin later was to become quite instrumental in the exposing in court of some of the more unsavory aspects of the organization. But that was some years later.

Want to hear more?:)

RogerB

Crusader
Not Early enough My Dear

Its called a lag or lag time Alanzo! :)

Its a business term.

As I was one of the original founders (slightly late on the chain) of the Sydney Org - you need to get the other original Oz Techies who were willing to admit to the fact they occupied a whore house about 1/2 a block from Kings Cross.

Yes the original Sydney Org was a just vacated Whore House - that was in 1961 - :)

Alan

Nah . . . the original Sydney Org was in 110 Bathurst Street. HCO was set up there in around February/March 1960, and the HASI formally installed in April. I forget the name of the ol' gal who was the HCO Sec. but the first two HASI tech execs were Ross Turnbull and Ivis Lampert (later Bolger) These guys came up from Melbourne while I (with Carola and Saima below) were in Melbourne doing our HPA.

Cable Hill, Carola Veber, Saima Illison (later married Peter Gallop) and myself were the gang who began the center (late 1958 early 1959) that morphed into the org. The original location of the activity was Palings Studios (down by Martin Place and George St.)

RogerB

Last edited:

ULRC/S

Patron with Honors
I knew the McPherrin's but never directly worked with them as I was Fdn (evening/WE) staff and they were Day staff. But they used to throw HUGE fancy dress parties, with the theme:

"Come in your favorite valence"

WOW, did that ever get some action, there were princesses, warriors, insects, etc etc etc - all 100% "in valence".

And one party was suddenly changed in venue, I later found out because their big waterbed had sprung a major leak and flooded the apartment below, and they had to change apartments rapidly...

Great fun!

Regards, Allen