ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Basics Books Bonza Buggerup

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by scooter, Nov 1, 2008.

1. scooter

scooter Gold Meritorious Patron

No apology neccesary, my friend.

Here's some more titbits:

Canada Bay Library service (which includes Concord Library) have NO Hubbard books in them at all

Gosford Shire Libraries (north of Sydney - Ceedia country): 8 branches plus a few mobile libraries, 4 Hubbard books, no Basics editions.

Eastern Regional Libraries (in the East Melbourne area where I live) - 13 branches plus several mobile branches, 19 Hubbard books, 2 Basics editions (both are copies of Fundamental of Thought)

2. QRES

QRES Patron

Hi I thought I would stop by I was talking to somebody over on WWP and said you guys where looking for the Video tour of the US print shop (davey says there is another one at something era productions in northern europe i forget what country)

I heard a radio broadcast on the date in this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvV9OnqZZi8

and kinda took it from there (this is my second of three videos I did on the books.

Somebody was looking for where the video of the tour was. I remember I had to sift thru DM talking for all 18 segments of his speach to find it in the last 10 min. In his big sales pitch for the Basics. (if you are still looking for that info)

We also found out that it is NOT quite the TOP OF THE LINE set up he claims it is in the video. A person I was working with on the project said they talked to a P.o.D. publisher who thought it was more of a middle of the line set up.

We also did some research into the cost of the books had they not been printed in house and came up with a number of about $2.50 each and added a $1 ea for shipping cost of the 18. The real savings however comes in the cost of the CDs and DVDs. In any qnty. over 1,000 a DVD is going to come shrinkwrapped and in a case with a full color jacket and label on the face for about $1(or less) each. CD's are going to run about half that last I checked. That is paying a company to produce them for you. They seem to be getting theirs done for with out the cost of labor, taxes etc...

I have a feeling I am posting to much info but The people I worked on this project with seem to have left chanology (haven't heard from them in a month or two) and don't want the info to vanish.

3. Thrak

Thrak Gold Meritorious Patron

Welcome to the board and post all you have.

4. TheSneakster

TheSneakster Guest

I was the one who originally asked for that video and I think you very very much. :happydance:

I also want to complement you on the your quality research and thank you for that as well. :coolwink:

Michael "The Sneakster" Hobson
    I am *not* anonymous

5. QRES

QRES Patron

Thanks but Most of it was done by someone who is long gone and am not sure I even know how to contact anymore. I only heard the radio and then with a google search found the blog for librarians and remembered how someone I once knew had told me about a scam somebody he knew was doing... I had some info about printing books on demand and DVD's especially. The REAL WORK with the data base to search for the books by country was that other person. (the interenet scares me)

6. QRES

QRES Patron

Oh BTW:

I was thinking about this video recently anyway because I was wondering if they where going to be trying anything similar to this with the new (old) LRH fiction series (yeah I know it is all fiction, unless you are freezone then they are tru fax.)

I have heard that some teachers have been sent some of the new books from a library association that when contacted said they do not send out books to schools. There is like 100k+ libraries in the country (including school libraries) and was thinking that they could not send out the SCN books because they claim to be religious.

Nice to meet you M"sneekster"H... I am not Anon. either :)

They are also telling a one sided version of the LRH biography in each of those books about him being an explorer, humanitarian etc...

7. TheSneakster

TheSneakster Guest

After reading the Publisher's Weekly article more closely, I discovered what they are using to bind those books with: a Wohlenberg City 6000 automated binding machine which would seem to be the 6000 copy per hour version of this Wohlenberg City 4000 that does between 1000 and 4000 copies per hour. :ohmy:

Holy crap! :omg:

I am *not* anonymous

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2008
  8. TheSneakster

TheSneakster Guest

BTW,

Wherever did you get this nonsensical idea? :confused2:

First of all, there isn't any monolithic "Freezone". The independent Scientology movement has numerous subgroups, the majority of which have no association with the "Freezone" as established by Capt. Bill Robertson with his Galactic Confederacy Sector Nine or Elron Elray stuff. :melodramatic:

Scientologists outside the C of $ aren't a bunch of cybernetic organisms with some kind of hive mind like the Borg or the Cylons and don't all monolithically believe much of anything, goddamnit. :angry:

As a general rule, that is the very reason why we are no longer welcome over there at C of $!!! :duh:

I respectfully request that you refrain from tossing that kind of degrading and insulting propaganda around - that is, unless you purposefully intend to alienate most of the ex-Churchie independent Scientologists around here. :grouch:

I am *not* anonymous

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2008
  9. Carmel

Carmel Crusader

Well, a bloody bonza buggerup indeed!

Good thread Scoots, and thanks for the data all - certainly stuff that those still within the CofS need to know! :thumbsup:

10. TheSneakster

TheSneakster Guest

OK, I have now determined the location of the Scientology in-house printing and binding facility for United States:

Bridge Publications, Inc.
    West Coast Distribution Center
    5999 Bandini Blvd.
    City of Commerce, CA 90040
    (323) 726-7416

Address was obtained from this official BPI page.

The fact that that location is not only the distribution center but the printing and bindery plant was determined from this Publisher's Weekly article which Div6 dug up.

Have a peek at that place in Google Maps.

Article says the whole facility is 120,000 square feet with one third of that (40,000 square feet) being used for manufacturing.

I am *not* anonymous

11. QRES

QRES Patron

SORRRY SORRY !

I was thinking that most people here have heard negative things about Scn. and kinda got used to it. But was trying to say "what ever floats your boat" (as long as the boat ain't the Freewinds) even though I am of my own opinion.

I know there are several types of Scn's outside of CoS

12. byte301

byte301 Crusader

Zander, if you have any money on account I would check on it. I have heard from a couple of people that the cult is buying the basics out of peoples accounts without their permission to get the book sales stats up. They have been busted on this a few times I hear. That might be why they think you've bought books you haven't.

If you plan on getting a refund you should probably dig out your receipts and call the orgs you have money in and check. If I recall they told one person the money had been sitting inactive too long and the account expired or some bullshit like that.

13. Veda

Veda Sponsor

Scientology Inc. uses fronts and front groups to misleadingly lead people toward Scientology Inc., and the (Scientology [sneaky tactics & PR-tech-utilizing] "Free Zone" has sought to repeat the pattern (of sneaky leading) by attempting to identify groups such as Knowledgism and Meta-psychology as part of the "Freezone."

The "Free Zone" seeks to create the impression that there are lots of people who think of themselves as Scientologists, when most people leaving Scientology Inc. don't wish to be identified with the name, "Scientology," or even with the name "Free Zone."

Thus is the illusion created of a vast "Free Zone" which is as vague and undefinable as it is vast - kind of like Scientology.

Too much like Scientology - but wait, it IS Scientology. But wait, it isn't. But wait, 'think for yourself', and 'What's true for you'. But wait, it's about 'LRH tech!' and "LRH tech being in" and "tech is out in Orgs." But wait - hush! - Remember PR tech and the "acceptable truth" datum...

It's advantageous for Scientology Inc. to create confusion about Scientology Inc. while also instilling certainties about Scientology Inc. The Scientology Freezone - too often - attempts to do much the same.

This is one reason why people sometimes become fed up with the "Free Zone."

On this Message Board - there's a separate section for "Independent Field."

The "Independent Field," these days, means NOT Scientology.

This bugs some of the Zoners, as it throws a monkey wrench in their attempt to confuse, and then create follow-up certainties within that confusion.

Some people pass through the Scientology Freezone on their way out of Scientology, and it can serve a useful purpose in that regard, but it is what it is: Scientology lite.

And, anyway, this thread is about Scientology Inc.'s use of fraud re. its 'basic books' project - not about the Scientology/Xenu Freezone.

And this post, and any discussion re. it, probably belongs in the Freezone section.

14. scooter

Thanks Veda and thanks everyone else who's contributed so far.

One question - anyone ever heard of librarian message boards or how to get onto them? I'm currently trying to find this as I'd love to get their data on this.

15. byte301

byte301 Crusader

scooter, I don't know about message boards but most libraries have a "chat with a librarian" link. I think you might be able to ask your question there. You could try several of them. If they can't answer your questions they could direct you to someplace that could I bet.

Also, I just like to say well done to you for finding out the truth about $cientology. The internet is useful only when a person has the guts to use it. You did and your story made my day.:p

16. scooter

Crocodile Dundee won't ever go Clear at this rate!!!!

Stats from Northern Territory in Oz:

35 public libraries.

8 copies of Basics books between them.

4 copies of Dianetics, 2 of Way to Happiness and 2 of Fundamentals of Thought.

So what happened to the other - lets see - 35 libraries times 18 books a set minus 8 copies actually there = 622 books!!!

Crocodiles eat them?

17. scooter

byte301 thanks for the tip - I'm used to chatting to librarians over the counter or via a telephone. I'll try that tomorrow when the libraries are opened again.

I did find a librarian message board in the US but it's down for the next 6-8 hours

18. Sir Facer

Sir Facer Patron with Honors

Bookstore Officer reporting!!!!

Hey Scooter,

Well I was on staff as the BSO (Book Store Officer or bullshit officer) just last year and was on the Basics Books & lectures projects, and honestly we would just sit and reg all day & night long For donations and you know what mate, I have no Idea where all the money was going too, cause all the staff are so being:whipped: by the CLO Sea Org that run the Org you are too busy working on the next sale. And they pay was still shit so it aint going to the staff either. Yes rather news slot worthy eh:old:

I only really saw the individual books & lectures getting delivered. I did post some overseas to individuals & posted some to ANZO public in other states, but never did I ever see any of the library donated packages get taken to one library:omg:
    Wow ever heard of 130 million dollar quotas before from a religous movement, how BIG THINK is that:coolwink:

19. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

Love it! This is copypasta from that Google Maps page - I didn't edit it beyond the color change for emphasis:

Paul

20. EastAnon

EastAnon Patron with Honors

WOW, you can even SEE the books in that picture! Look at the top!