ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Basics Books Bonza Buggerup

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by scooter, Nov 1, 2008.

1. I wonder if a group like Annonymous or some other group would do a matching library campaign. For every set of Basic Books in a library get two copies of Scandal of Scientology, Madman or Messiah, Bare-faced Messiah, and A Piece of Blue Sky.

Tha Anabaptist Jacques

2. EP - Ethics Particle

EP - Ethics Particle Gold Meritorious Patron

Yes! And...

With a copy or two of John Duignan's The Complex too! :yes: :thumbsup:

3. AnonLover

AnonLover Patron Meritorious

wow great thread here! i was planning on doing a 6 months update to my previous HG2AG blog article & google doc of worldcat stats thats been quoted in earlier posts. However, i never did manage to get a copy of the "big white brochure" that's supposedly in most orgs promoting the library campaign. I'd still love to get my hands on that if anybody happens to have one :thumbsup:

4. degraded being

degraded being Sponsor

I found "messiah or madman" in the library one day and started to read............That's where my research started. It was years ago.

I will be donating books to libraries. I think people will be asking for them and I believe that people won't go past books about the evils of the cult when they see them on shelves. Letting library staff know that they may be stolen only increases the desire to find out more.

5. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

Part of a recent email sent out from the Freewinds. (I am posting this for someone else)

To: ****
    Subject: - From:ELYELLE PAN
    Date: ****

I have just been informed by the Commanding Officer of New Era Publications in Denmark that after exhaustive new surveys done around Europe, various data came up that some more Basics Sets of Books are needed, either because the Libararies are asking for more than one, or because the Libraries want sets in additional languages or because some additional libraries came up that need the basics that were not on our original list.

So if you can also talk about this to your friends and help close 6 Libraries, you can fax me their credit card details. The cost per library is $450 dollars and nothing else needs to be paid (ie no shipping nor taxes as we will handle this). In the fax we need the details of the credit card as follow:
    Name exactly as it appears on the card, Number of the card, expiration date, the last 3 digits of the security number at the back of the card and the amount and signed authorization. You get this faxed to me at ******** and make sure you list yourself as the bookseller and you will get a commission as well (10% commission).
    Have a great event and lets FSM for your future OT home! Any donations sent to the Ship be it for services, accomodations, books or DVDs helps finance the completion of the projects that are moving full speed ahead to complete the preparations for the release of New OT IX & X!
    ML, Elyelle

6. dchoiceisalwaysrs

dchoiceisalwaysrs Gold Meritorious Patron

NEW.....New OT IX and X ? what happened to the old ones?.:duh:

Will those be put in the public libraries also?

7. EastAnon

EastAnon Patron with Honors

FTS, here is another version of your email:

Dear Scientologist,

You should now have seen the IAS event and the message from the Chairman of the Board RTC regarding flooding the planet with the Basics.

There has been an overwhelming response from the Libraries around the world on receipt of their set of LRH Books. Libraries are asking us for additional sets and often need more in other languages! The result of this is an additional 19,637 library sets are needed for the following areas:

ICELAND 4
    IRELAND 6
    BULGARIA 17
    ROMANIA 19
    ESTONIA 20
    LATVIA 20
    LITHUANIA 20
    NORWAY 23
    ALBANIA 25
    KYRGYZSTAN 30
    SWEDEN 33
    GEORGIA 37
    GREECE 40
    SLOVAKIA 41
    MALTA 59
    FINLAND 64
    ISRAEL 64
    CZECH REPUBLIC 68
    SWITZERLAND 85
    WALES 125
    PORTUGAL 149
    CROATIA 167
    KAZAKHSTAN 212
    AFRICA 250
    SPAIN 380
    HUNGARY 389
    ENGLAND 909
    UNITED STATES 2000
    ITALY 2251

INDIA 4208
    RUSSIA 7980

I know you may have already contributed to donations for Libraries, however we must fill the demand and it will take a further team effort to make it happen. These are demanding times that will pay off in unprecedented expansion and will give us a clear planet!

LRH says: “Somehow, despite our condition and the degraded environment
    we're in, we've got to keep the dedication and the guts to carry
    through no matter what comes. And carry through. And that's
    our future.” - L. RON HUBBARD HCO PL 13 July 1963.

Each Library set is $450
    We are asking you to donate 10 library sets
    ($4,500)
    Please fax your credit card authorization and details of the credit card to Book Store Officer Flag Ship Service Organization 1 727 445-4339, or call me at 1 727 445 4309.

ARC,

Malia McElveen

Some countries don't even have that many libraries. And besides that, every library throws these sets away or recycles them.

8. Björkist

Björkist Silver Meritorious Patron

Hmmm, there are two sets of Basics at my downtown library. One donated by an individual and one, most likley, donated by the CofS.

If what you say is true (bwahahahahaha) I guess my library is the one solitary library on Planet Earth that didn't throw away or recycle it/them.

It must be nice to have the such resources of time, money and interest to fly around the world to every single library on Planet Earth inspecting, alien probe style, to see if they have the new Scientology books.

But, to use your infinitely wise and immortal words, "Dox or STFU."

9. EastAnon

EastAnon Patron with Honors

Björkist, if you had actually read this thread you would have found your dox.

Besides that, it is no longer needed to fly to every single library. They invented something called Internet that lets you search through quite some libraries worldwide to see their collection.

Did i hit a nerve in the other thread?

10. Veda

Veda Sponsor

Hey dude,

Why would someone who calls himself (on ESMB) the "psychedelic thetan," and promotes (on ESMB) substances such as the hallucinogen Salvia Divinorum, care about someone (on ESMB) writing that public libraries are throwing away their sets of 'Basics'?

11. AnonLover

AnonLover Patron Meritorious

my goodness is that sum tasty email leaks i see!!! :happydance:

can i has confirmation this was a US email chain letter, and thats $450 US dollars per set their groveling for? tia!

12. Good twin

Good twin Floater

Yep. I got the same email.:yes:

13. Carmel

Carmel Crusader

That's interesting! What's the name of your downtown library?

14. Rae

Rae Patron with Honors

Point of Interest...

I have a cousin who is a librarian. I wrote and asked her about book donations and how the whole thing works. This was her reply
    "As for library book donations, some branches take them and some don't. It is best to call the branch you want to bring them to first and ask if they accept them. Telling them the books are new might help, but it really depends on the branch. If they will accept them, basically, they will take what you have and assess it later. Probably the librarians will do this, but it just depends on who is in charge of donations at that branch. If they see a need for it in their library, they will add it to the collection (i.e. they will add it if they think it will enhance their collection. They won't necessarily add it just because they don't own it yet). If they don't add it, it will probably go into a book sale, or...prepare yourself...be recycled. You could just ask them point blank if they will add the books to the collection, but they may not answer because they have to do a lot of research before they decide that. If you send unsolicited donations, they will pretty much go through the same procedure. However, definitely be aware that they may not be accepted. So, if you ask first, at least you will not be dooming the books to the trash bin!" Love, Rae

15. feline

feline Patron Meritorious

To support Rae-

I have recently cleaned out my personal library of books that I no longer needed or wanted. I called my local library who told me that they would take books in good condition but would accept anything I brought in. Any book that they did not think they could use would be sold at a book fair organized by the library and the money would go to their operating fund. Any book in disrepair would be recycled.

My local library has NO book by L Ron Hubbard. Not a one. :yes:

16. Björkist

[​IMG]

You didn't hit anything. What you did do, ON THIS THREAD, was make the ridiculous statement that, "every library throws these sets away or recycles them" to which I was responding.

Now you are indirectly claiming that you searched the online catalog of every single library on Earth and that every single one left a message that they threw away or recylced their Scientology books.

The same reason you are trying to link arbitraries together such as my support of the right to utilize plant life responsibly, my ESMB "title", and the fact that EastAnon made a sweeping generality about every single library on Planet Earth.

What do those three items, in actuality (not in your paranoid mind) have anything to do with one another?

And to clarify, I actually don't care what libraries do with their own books. But I won't hesitate to point out a ridiculous (dumbass) statement like, "And besides that, every library throws these sets away or recycles them." when I see it.

1. He or she speaks only in very broad generalities. “They say...” “Everybody thinks...” “Everyone knows...” and such expressions are in continual use, particularly when imparting rumor. When asked, “Who is everybody...” it normally turns out to be one source and from this source the antisocial person has manufactured what he or she pretends is the whole opinion of the whole society.

http://denverlibrary.org/catalogs/index.html

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  17. scooter

scooter Gold Meritorious Patron

So, in Denver Public LIbrary SYSTEM (where there is the main library, 22 branch libraries and one mobile bookmobile) there is a total of 35 Basics editions (18 English and 17 Spanish).

So, generalities, Bjorkist?

Your local branch does NOT have two full sets of basics, it had exactly what is listed above.

Your area has a much better percentage than any other I've explored, but it's not even ten percent of what the Co$ PROMISED it would do - A FULL SET OF BASICS IN EVERY LIBRARY IN THE COUNTRY!

Get your specifics straight please.

18. Björkist

I never said anything about my "local branch". What I did do was provide a link to Ceedia (in response to her question) to the Denver Public Library webiste which clearly displays that not "every library throws these sets away or recycles them" As EastAnon stupidly claimed.

And Denver Public Library...the main branch (which I physically visit about every other week) has 2 sets of English Basics on the shelf. Regardless of what the CofS promised you.

For your benefit (or for me just to prove you are crashingly wrong), I will photograph them next time I am there and post it for you.

Get your shit straight, please.

19. scooter

scooter Gold Meritorious Patron

That is not what their online catalogue says - it says one full English set and most of one Spanish set.

I checked :D

20. Björkist

Well, you obviously didn't check well enough.

If you search for specific book title and then click on the specific record, it shows how many, what location and their status:

Fundamentals Of Thought: http://catalog.denverlibrary.org/cgi-bin/cw_cgi?fullRecord+7368+10+624231707+1+0

The Creation of Human Ability: http://catalog.denverlibrary.org/cgi-bin/cw_cgi?fullRecord+3626+10+624231771+1+0

Advanced Procedure & Axioms: http://catalog.denverlibrary.org/cgi-bin/cw_cgi?fullRecord+23771+10+624231715+2+0

And on and on and on...

So much for every library throwing them away or recycling them, eh?