ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Belgium: Church of Scientology fraud and extortion trial begins in Brussels

Discussion in 'France and Belgium' started by mnql1, May 21, 2015.

1. TheOriginalBigBlue

TheOriginalBigBlue Gold Meritorious Patron

The policy of using an "acceptable truth" in the name of religion didn't start with LRH.

http://www.solitarytrees.net/racism/lying.htm

http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Qur'an,_Hadith_and_Scholars:Lying_and_Deception

The Arabic word tawriyah [translated here as deliberate ambiguity] means to conceal something.
    Allah says (interpretation of the meaning): [Quotes al-Ma'idah 5:31 & al-A’raaf 7:26]
    With regard to the meaning in sharee’ah (religious) terminology, it refers to someone who says something that may appear to have one meaning to the listener but the speaker intends something different that may be understood from these words. For example, he says, “I do not have a dirham in my pocket,” and that is understood to mean that he does not have any money at all, when what he means is that he does not have a dirham but he may have a dinar, for example. This is called ambiguity or dissembling.
    Deliberate ambiguity is regarded as a legitimate solution for avoiding difficult situations that a person may find himself in when someone asks him about something, and he does not want to tell the truth on the one hand, and does not want to lie, on the other.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  2. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket Gold Meritorious Patron

Horny little devil, isn't he?

Helena

3. lotus

lotus stubborn rebel sheep!

Is it so obvious ???? :unsure:

:lol::lol::lol:

ESMB is my daily humble pie eating :biggrin:

Sometimes I re-read my posts and don't get any idea of what it means :duh:

(it's either I am too excited or tired) :biggrin:

Hey thank's for the english lesson - especially those satyrs :biggrin:
    Freaking BT's :ohmy:

4. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

The Suicide Memo
    The judge at the Belgian trial of Scientology pressed one defendant to explain why she got a vulnerable member to sign a suicide disclaimer.

Jonny Jacobsen Brussels 17 Nov. 2015

https://www.byline.com/project/28/article/598

5. Free to shine

Shut down Scientology in Belgium: prosecutor

Jonny Jacobsen Brussels 25 Nov. 2015

https://www.byline.com/project/28/article/617

6. Techless

Techless Patron Meritorious

Wow! been reading through the ongoing J Jacobs court proceedings/updates - trying to pay extra attention to all the details, etc (at this hour and already prepped for T-Day holiday proceedings tomorrow) and:

Quite the same old, same old BS from scn 'defense' tactics, as we all expect, but have noticed myself, and particularly this time:

1) the amazing tactics of defense side (mainly the defendants themselves) either responding to questions by:
    a) claiming "I don't remember"
    b) trying to avoid a direct answer (and making judge go "HHmm") even more so
    c) denying anything by claiming 'higher' powers 'make the decisions', "I'm just following orders" - bla, bla)
    d) bla, bla ad nauseum

(more I should expound upon here but trying to get idea out before my complete OCD starts kicking in)

I easily noticed:

Every defendant could quickly be shown (from my experience/understanding now) to be:

1-brainwashed
    2-acting as advised
    3-playing dumb
    4-just lying.

Seems the eternal questions and answers to this may always be hidden behind the religious cloaking/scam (which still appears to work to whatever degree) and it scares me.

It also gives hope that the TRUTH is getting dug up better now than prior.

I guess my whole point is (so I don't get too axed on this):

I'm so very happy to see this going on. (especially abroad, as apparently in my country- USA- all this crap/criminal activity/scamming) is all fine with the 'laws' (choke) here. I've been needing a better 'hope blast' from all the media mish-mash that just never seems to quite hit the hard target we're all praying for.

Yet: I am LOVING this! Belgium, I've always had the idea, are a courteous, softer spoken, decent kinda folks (certain there are exceptions too). The attempts at 'transparency' seem to be playing in the right direction - and against the criminal org.

Sorry, just had to babble in here as I don't often - and often cannot type without major problems, but so wish I could say more in depth, which I often wish/like to get into more but cannot. (PMs and phone calls always better option for me if I can be of any help).

So now that I've proven to ESMB that I AM as mental as anyone else:

God Bless all youz guys and happiest of T-day and holiday stuff all the loving folks/family do across the whole world!

Really GOOD news on the demise of scn is always a most welcome thing!!!

7. Free to shine

Techless, you sum it up so well! :)

8. Techless

Techless Patron Meritorious

Thx FTS! Wish I could do more towards this end, but really just wanted to get on this bandwagon (Belgium) cause it has been such a treat to see the legal system actually kinda 'work' here.

Best

TL

9. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

Attached Files:

10. CommunicatorIC

Attached Files:

11. CommunicatorIC

30 Nov. 2015 update from Jonny Jacobsen on Byline.

A FLAWED INVESTIGATION

https://www.byline.com/project/37/article/633

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

The investigation into Scientology in Belgium was flawed from the start and the prosecutor's indictment only compounded the problem, said the Church's counsel

On Monday morning, Day Eight of the Belgian trial of Scientology, Maître Pascal Vanderveeren was the first lawyer in court ahead of the day’s hearing.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

[The prosecutor] had also spoken of the policy of Fair Game (an often-cited policy letter that authorized Scientologists to take off their gloves and go after their enemies using any tactics they feel necessary). “This text – ‘Fair Game’ – no longer exists,” said Mtr. Vanderveeren. “Poor interpretation by the prosecutor.”

12. CommunicatorIC

Will Belgium Follow Russia’s Example and Ban Scientology?

Will Belgium Follow Russia’s Example and Ban Scientology?

Sputnik News: Will Belgium Follow Russia’s Example and Ban Scientology?

http://sputniknews.com/europe/20151212/1031623951/will-belgium-ban-scientology.html

00:37 12.12.2015(updated 00:38 12.12.2015)

A nearly two-month trial of the Church of Scientology’s branch in Belgium is coming to a close, with a final verdict on whether the controversial organization will be banned in the country to be announced early next year.

The Church's branch in Belgium is no stranger to fighting fraud and extortion allegations in court. It already survived two major investigations there; one was launched by Belgian authorities in 1997 following former members' accusations of the Church's illegal practices. Another inquiry was triggered in 2008 by an employment agency claiming that the Church had made fake job offers in order to recruit new members.

The most recent charges against eleven members of the church and two affiliated bodies include allegations of running a criminal organization and violating privacy rights. If the Church is convicted of the offences, it could face a total ban in the European nation.

The church's officials claim they represent a peaceful religion and deny all accusations. They argue the charges are meant to defame the Church's reputation.

"You can't explain an investigation this long and of such relentlessness against people who were only trying to peacefully practice their religion in Belgium," the spokesman for the group in Brussels, Eric Roux, told Agence France-Presse.

Federal prosecutor Christophe Caliman has asked the court to completely dissolve the Belgian branch and to levy a fine against it. The court heard final arguments on Friday, with a verdict expected in February.

The church is known internationally for celebrity members that include Tom Cruise and John Travolta. But public opinion on Scientology is not unanimous. While some insist it is a dangerous cult and a criminal enterprise, others say it is harmless and all about spiritual harmony.

Scientology was created by American science fiction author L. Ron Hubbard in the 1950s. It has been granted tax-exempt religious status in many countries including the US.

A Moscow court in November banned the local branch of the Church, backing the Russian Justice Ministry's claim that the organization's activity did not comply with federal laws on freedom of religion.

13. CommunicatorIC

Scientology faces ban in Belgium amid fraud allegations

Scientology faces ban in Belgium amid fraud allegations.

news.com.au: Scientology faces ban in Belgium amid fraud allegations

http://www.news.com.au/world/europe...s/news-story/c8433d3f797edff382cfd35608e09d2b

A COURTROOM in Belgium heard final arguments on Friday in the trial of the Belgian branch of the controversial Church of Scientology over fraud and extortion allegations it vehemently denies.

Eleven members of the church and two affiliated bodies have been charged with fraud, extortion, running a criminal organisation and violating the right to privacy.

Lawyers said the verdict, which could see the Scientology church banned in Belgium, would land early next year, most likely in February.

In closing the seven-week trial, Scientology’s defence team said the charges were nothing more than an attempt to blacken its reputation.

“You can’t explain an investigation this long and of such relentlessness against people who were only trying to peacefully practice their religion in Belgium,” Eric Roux, the spokesman for the group in Brussels told AFP.

The Belgian authorities launched a first investigation in 1997 after several former members complained about its practices.

A second probe followed in 2008 when an employment agency charged that the church had made bogus job offers so as to draw in and recruit new members.

Federal prosecutor Christophe Caliman asked the court earlier in the trial to completely dissolve the Belgian branch of the Church of Scientology and for it to face a fine.

He did not ask for its assets to be confiscated, leaving that to the judge’s discretion.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * *

14. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

Re: Scientology faces ban in Belgium amid fraud allegations

I would say to Eric Roux that it's impossible to practice the scientology "religion" peacefully when scientology is at war with the whole world. :duh:

Scientologists are not peaceful people. :no:

And even if Scientology were a genuine religion you don't have a free pass to commit fraud and extortion. :no:

If Belgium follows through and bans scientology it will be doing a great service for it's citizens. :thumbsup:

15. Jump

Jump Operating teatime

Re: Will Belgium Follow Russia’s Example and Ban Scientology?

Just to fix it for him...

"You can't explain an investigation this long into fraud, extortion and practicing medicine without a licence [STRIKE]and of such relentlessness[/STRIKE] which has been obstructed and delayed by cultic legal tactics for so long against people who were [STRIKE]only trying to peacefully practice their religion[/STRIKE] just trying to defraud, extort and practice medicine without a licence in Belgium on this planet,"
    the spokesman for the group in Brussels, Eric Roux, told Agence France-Presse.

16. CommunicatorIC

Date Set For Belgian Scientology Ruling

Date Set For Belgian Scientology Ruling.

From Jonny Jacobsen at Byline.

Date Set For Belgian Scientology Ruling

https://www.byline.com/column/9/article/659

Judgment in the Belgian trial of Scientology will be delivered in three months' time, the judge announced Friday.

Scientology’s Belgian church and 12 individuals on trial on charges ranging from extortion to the illegal practice of medicine will learn their fate on March 11.

President of the court Yves Régimont announced the date after the final day of legal arguments Friday at the Palais de Justice in Brussels.

You can find extended coverage of the trial over at the Exclusive section of my site: I'll be adding to it over the coming weeks and hope to have a comprehensive account of the trial completed before the March 11 ruling.

17. Free to shine

Fighting the good fight

https://www.byline.com/project/28/article/805

18. Free to shine

Jonny has been posting articles on this trial, I haven't copied them all. You can find them via this link for the latest one.

https://www.byline.com/project/28/article/877

19. ThetanExterior

ThetanExterior Gold Meritorious Patron

The judge raised the case of another job applicant who had been handled by Madame P. She had been told that she would earn 1,200-1,300 euros net. She had signed a church membership form after being told that it was a job contract.

“Mme P. should never have said this,” said Myriam. “We have corrected her on that. Apparently that happened at the beginning but not after that.”

“There were 161 people who were approached in the same way!” the judge retorted.

LOL. It's funny seeing scientology try to lie its way out of this.:yes:

20. John McGhee

John McGhee Patron