ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Featured Bill Frank's story about brainwashing (thread merge)

Discussion in 'Stories From Inside Scientology' started by gwells, Feb 26, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent Silver Meritorious Patron

Hello Bill,
    You've had many gracious welcomes here and now mine is among them.

Your original post is really counter to the lynchpin of what is holding, I'd say, most of the active or semi-active scientologists in the church and making them pay the big bucks. With any luck it will cause many more blows!

It would be of much value to link the continuity of the diminutive one's behavior stemming from 30 years ago to present. More about your imprisonment at Int, violations of human rights and if there were, specifically, any physical attacks to yourself or others may help to do this.

There are lots of subjects to address and hopefully you will start many other threads as well or jump into existing ones.

This thread has well over 7000 hits so far. That should tell you something! There are many lurkers out there as well as members. This board is an amazing wealth of information, history, insights and stories of the church and its operations. Your posts will add to that wealth. I hope you will benefit from its healing as well as from contributing to it.

2. Sindy

Sindy Crusader

:thumbsup::thumbsup: No doubt!!! :goodposting::goodposting:

3. Sindy

Sindy Crusader

:goodposting: ( LOL..."The Diminutive One" ) BTW, how do you check hits to a thread?

4. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent Silver Meritorious Patron

Hi Synthia! It is the number you see right after the name of the thread. Next number is number of replies.

5. Sindy

Sindy Crusader

:ohmy: Oh!!! That's what those numbers mean. :giggle: Thank you and hello!

6. AlphOhm

AlphOhm Traveler of time/space

:welcome: Bill, thank you for your information !

7. afaceinthecrowd

afaceinthecrowd Gold Meritorious Patron

When I left the SO I immersed myself in the "Wog" world. I didn't want to be around Scns or dependant on Scns or readily accessible to Scns. I had real world work skills and experience, a college education and didn't have to work for an Scn "selling laser prints".

I raised and well educated children...outside of Scn...built a business and am now retired. Up until coming to this Board, all of my friends were "wogs" and up until two years ago or so I had not the sightest interest in what was going on with Scn or in being in contact with exes. My focus and energy was on my family, friends, business and living a life.

Now I know I'm no Bill Franks, but, I do understand how someone that knew El Ron, Mary Sue and Da Monster can walk away, build a life and in their later years come back around to reflecting and revisiting their past, and the path they have walked.

Face:)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  8. chuckbeatty

chuckbeatty Patron with Honors

Agreed. And Hubbard gives a lot of options, if you lay out all his repair lists, for what could cause upsets.

Miscommunication, wrong indications, etc.

The first sit down with the auditor step of the Introspection Rundown is something I experienced firsthand, and the auditor digs up from your life, moments which caused you to introvert, and indicates those moments to you.

While on the Int RPF, and while in progress wanting to officially route out of the Sea Org, in 1997, I had the first steps of the Introspection Rundown run on me, and we ran as the very first incident, the incident when I was sitting in the Office of Special Affairs 10th floor conference room, on video camera, with Jeannie Gavigon Reynolds, Kirsten Caetano, Uwe Stuckenbrock, and Glen Stilo, with this mea culpa legal doc admission of my unseemly past deeds, concocted by Jeannie Gavigon Reynolds, for me to sign.

It was the wrong indication predicament of my life, and I admit that running this incident as the first and MOST intense wrong indication of my life, on the Introspection Rundown, delivered by Rich Gilbert (CLass 8 CST staffer on the Int RPF) and Bruce Hines Class 9 from Snr C/S Int Office, on the RPF himself, this was Feb 1997 out at the Happy Valley RPF, well that tiny correct indication, DID undo a lot of the hurt of that ridiculously wrong indication OSA moment.

So talking to fellow human beings by someone who understands, DOES relieve the predicaments.

Really Hubbard's tech is unregulated talk therapy, with all sorts of angles on how to help the patient (parishioner) unravel the hurt they've lived.

It's not something I any more recommend, but because it is now living under the guise of a religion, this psychotherapy that Scientology does DO, has to be dissected by the psychotherapy people.

That in the US, they let Dianetics and Scientology go on and on, and on, and the fact that people DO (even I will admit, as I said in this incident when I did the first steps of the Introspection Rundown) did have some subjective relief, from Hubbard's mental therapy detailed procedures.

I mean the whole layout of LRH's detailed technical questions, grouped in "rundowns", with rudiments before almost all sessions (a few exceptions, when the patient/parishioner is really mentally in anguish, the ruds are dispensed with, as is the case with the Introspection Rundown).

I think Scientology's therapy procedures warrant peer research and dissection.

Scientology has the pass from US authorities on it's religion status.

I think the cult aspects of Scientology are mainly the administrative and member control policies that are MOST deserving of wholesale reform.

And after that, the tech therapy of Scientology has to be peer reviewed and dissected, for it is in the tech, that the staunch followers of Scientology, witness the resurgence of the "independents" who are quite happy with their application of this therapy to one another.

The LIC repair list, is quite an amazing repair list. When I studied it in detail on the RPF, I squirreled and self audited it secretly on myself, just reading and thinking answers to the questions, on myself, and I popped off all sorts of thoughts that unraveled all sorts of the crap predicaments I was experiencings AS a Sea Org members caught up where I was at that time.

So the actual concepts that the tech therapy questions in Hubbard's Scientology DO provoke mental responses, and DO seem to have some beneficial effects.

It is, I believe a more complex bigger problem, the interaction of the admin rule system, the pecking order which is itself an accumulation of Hubbard's years and years of years of policy rules, and then the normal human imperfections of the members, trapping their fellow members, due to the member's own personal flaws.

How much of Hubbard's tech is helpful needs to be seperated out.

The independents, I believe, are proof that the admin rules that slavishy can be used to dominate and control, are dispensed with, by the independents to their group benefit.

But this thread, on this tech admission by LRH, to get technical, would mean read pages 21-27 of the "Book of Case Remedies" and look at what LRH did AFTER 1981-1982 when LRH "came back on the lines" and started issuing orders to the Int people about what to do with their existing scene as reported by them to LRH.

The LRH 1982 focus went to "false purpose security checking", and the RPF has since that time to now, been overt digging, evil purpose locating, prior confusion locating, UNTIL the RPF member changed their "viewpoint", and THAT for sure is another form of mental control in itself! The Truth Rundown truly almost inevitably can result in mental therapy brainwashing. The Truth Rundown needs to be researched, we need the Truth Rundown issues in the public domain to study and expose it.

LRH was responsible for this swing to False Purpose Rundown and Truth Rundown, which arguably as they are being applied on the RPF, are brainwashing if they don't let the RPF members OUT of the Catch 22 situation, and I lived that Catch 22 on the RPF, finally exiting putting on a face that would allow me out of that charade. The RPF is the ultimate mind dodging game, if one is upset validly with Scientology's and the Sea Org's actual faults.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  9. GLH

GLH Patron

Thanks Bill for joining and friending me. Roger B good point on ARCX. I would liken this to Libya where Qaddafi is killing people and people are upset. It makes no difference to "remove the arcx" he is still killing people to subjugate them but maybe that is the whole point.
    I do wish David Mayo could join or Julie and others but they are probably legally gagged. (Rinder should know something about that).

10. TG1

TG1 Angelic Poster

I'll throw this out there -- not because I know this is true -- but because I've read it in various places. Perhaps others who have direct knowledge will correct it if it's wrong or will confirm it if it's right.

I've read / heard the Mayos got around $5 million as a settlement/gag fee, needed and used mainly to pay legal bills, which had mounted considerably.

Right? Wrong? Dox? Plox?

TG1

11. Infinite

Infinite Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller

http://www.lermanet.com/scientologyscandals/silence.htm - guestimates $2.5 million.

12. Bad Robot

Bad Robot New Member

A little background info

I have no idea if anyone would be interested in knowing how this story of Brainwashing from Bill started out but I thought I'd tell it anyway.
    I recently found Bill on FB. He and I were pretty good friends at AOLA back in the 60's and early '70's. Before he became a hard ass SO officer.http://www.forum.exscn.net/images/smilies/yes.gif I friended him and started a dialog. Mainly I wanted to thank him for having my, then husband, Jack Pearlman, declared back in '73. That ended my years of resentment towards Bill and re-habed what had once been a good friendship.
    About a year ago I started reading about the current COS online. Up till then I hadn't been interested in looking at what was going on. It had been so many years and I still had a huge ARCX I was willingly and knowingly holding onto. Anyway, once I learned about the hideous, degraded mess that the COS had become and blew a ton of charge, I realized that I felt grateful to Bill for getting Jack declared and myself leaving with him. Who knows where we'd be now in regard to the "church." I'd like to think we would have gotten out sooner rather than later but I'll never know. Heber and Gretchen Wedow Schwartz did try to recover us at one point but we weren't having it..thank God! Ah geeze...I have a habit of digressing like this..sorry.
    As I mentioned earlier, Bill and I started a dialog on FB. Later joined by my former brother-in-law, Murray Pearlman. At some point Bill told us his story. Another of Bill's FB friend"s, Scott saw it and encouraged Bill to let the story be published. Greg Wells kindly published it here for Bill.
    As so many have already posted here, I too believe it's essential to the healing process to get the pieces of the puzzle put together. I have not admitted this anywhere else but I will now, in case it helps someone. After I left Scn. I became chronically, and seriously depressed. At one point, in 1995 I tried and almost was successful at committing suicide. What was truly frighting to me about that was that I didn't think there was any help out there for me. I wouldn't have been caught dead going to a psychiatrist. Probably still wouldn't. It has been only recently that I realized the direct line to my chronic depression was Scientology and what ended up happening in the end.http://www.forum.exscn.net/images/smilies/duh.gif
    I won't go into another long winded explanation but suffice to say that I feel that the depression has lifted. If it ever happens again, at least I know what the trigger is. It's a total BS trigger where I make myself wrong and the "church" right and I recognize it as such now. So you see Bill, your info is valuable on more than one level.
    I don't know how much Bill will want to be involved on this board but I sure do thank and admire him for what he has given so far.
    I am still "looking." Marcy Pearlman Sorensen

13. GLH

GLH Patron

I don't know the amount but to cover legal fees but it couldn't possibly be enough to cover the terrorist actions done to them and the staff at ACC. That was truly horrible and uncalled for but I am thinking in a civil manner. That is not what the CoS is about.

14. TG1

TG1 Angelic Poster

Thanks, Infinite.

There's so much information already revealed about the events of "early days" that's been outed by others who've already spoken out that it seems to me there's little left to be revealed.

Perhaps what we need most are research librarians and wikis.

Thanks again.

TG1

15. gwells

gwells New Member

Mayo money

I would imagine if there was a settlement some of those legal expenses were either pro bono (donated) or by "winning" or I should say settling the legal fees were part of the overall deal...Mayo getting some money (the more the better as far as I'm concerned..which is quite possible)...He'll be back gag or no gag...be patient

gwells

16. chuckbeatty

chuckbeatty Patron with Honors

Professor Kent has still to come out with his RPF book, and I believe the missing key piece of "tech" is the Truth Rundown.

We don't yet have the Truth Rundown Hubbard advices/orders and the final pilot issues, in the public domain.

Although, we do have Dan Koon and Russ Williams, who are two ex Sea Org member who were long term staffers in the Senior C/S Int Office subunit called LRH's Tech Research and Compilations (and piloting) Unit, at the Int Base.

The two, Dan and Russ, will be able to tell the details of the writing and piloting of the Truth Rundown issues, and I'll email Professor Kent of this and their contact info so he can interview them.

A lot has happened to help expose the tech trends in recent decades, Dan's written admirably, and I believe on this point of the Truth Rundown, Dan and Russ I hope will give the history.

Missing from the Kent RPF writings he's done so far, are details of the Truth Rundown procedure, which along with the "viewpoint shift" requirements to graduate the RPF, translates into brainwashing, when the whole atmosphere of what is acceptable "viewpoint shifts" exists. And what is acceptable "viewoint shifts" in order to graduate, is ABSOLUTELY part of the RPF politics game of getting back into good standing to be allowed to graduate from the RPF.

Thanks for these links!

The battle of this whole larger discussion of how Scientology tech could be brainwashing, comes down to a lot of important details that official Scientology is expert at sidestepping.

It is up to outside ex members and interested public, and scholars, thank god for Stephen Kent, to deal with what Scientology internally refuses to deal with.

17. Infinite

Infinite Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller

Well said. Once again, in your own inimitable manner, you've nailed it. Basically, if one accepts the idea that "blows" are due to "ARC-X" you are confusing "blow" for "escape" and giving the illusory concept of "ARC" credibility where none exists. Coming to ones' senses, escaping the cult, acknowledging the futility of the tech, and getting on with life is, albeit difficult, the practical application of sanity.

The simple fact is that Hubbard allegedly admitting one lie, does not, in any way, shape, or form, validate any of the other lies.

18. GLH

GLH Patron

Thanks for posting that Marcy. I personally have gained from the different stories here of ESMB. You are so right about the depression caused or triggered from Cos it is truly damning and debilitating. I find the stories from Bill Franks and Dart Smohen so enlightening along with others. There is a real comforting that comes from it. I guess that is why the CoS had to kill Cult Awareness Network.
    Thanks

19. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

You clearly succeeded. I take it the above is your success story. :)

20. Div6

Div6 Crusader

Welcome!

Thanks for posting this Marcy, and welcome to ESMB. Yes, I believe truth and 'context' is VITAL to the healing process. And that is why further insights from Bill would be of such great value.

By the way, to insert smiley here on ESMB, you just have to click on the one you want in the menu to the right of the text box. That will insert the code that renders the appropriate smiley. :coolwink:

Love to hear your full story sometime....:drama: