What's new

Catholic dot Org on it!

Anonycat

Crusader
http://www.catholic.org/international/international_story.php?id=34905&page=2

More Heavy Seas Threaten the Future of Scientology

WASHINGTON, D.C. (Catholic Online) – The last few weeks have not been kind to Scientology. On November 5, 2009, Marc Headley’s tell-all book about Scientology, “Blown for Good,” was released.

Then on Tuesday, November 17, Independent Senator Nick Xenophon addressed the Australian Parliament, stating that "Scientology is not a religious organization; it is a criminal organization that hides behind its so-called religious belief."

After referring to Scientology during an interview on the Seven Network’s “Today Tonight” and questioning their tax-exempt status, the senator from South Australia reported that he had been contacted by a number of ex-Scientologists. The network had prepared more than two dozen stories about the group.

“There are allegations,” Xenophon told Parliament, “of false imprisonment, coerced abortions, embezzlement of church funds, physical violence, intimidation, blackmail and the widespread and deliberate abuse of information obtained by the organization.

“It is alleged that information about suspicious deaths and child abuse has been destroyed, and one follower has admitted he was coerced by the organization into perjuring himself during investigations into the deaths of his two daughters.”

What we are seeing is a worldwide pattern of abuse and criminality. On the body of evidence this is not happening by accident; it is happening by design…”

He cited specific cases, one of which involved Aaron Saxton who was born into Scientology and raised to high levels of leadership in Australia and the U.S. Over the years he was instructed to keep silent about his being raped by another man in the organization as well as other observed criminal activity. He indicated that he had participated in illegal confinement and torture, diversion of funds, along with child-abuse and murder cover-ups.

Other stories included by Xenophon in his address documented physical abuse, mental abuse, blackmail, and mind control tactics. He called upon Parliament to establish a formal inquiry into Scientology and its tax-exempt status.

“Religious freedom,” he concluded, “did not mean the Catholic or Anglican Churches were not held accountable for crimes and abuses committed by their priests, nuns and officials— albeit belatedly.

“Ultimately, this is not about religious freedom. In Australia there are no limits on what you can believe. But there are limits on how you can behave. It is called the law, and no-one is above it.”

Protesters gathered outside of Scientology’s Sydney headquarters, stirred by Xenophon’s speech. At the same time, Australian Prime Minister Rudd stated, after the Senator’s address, that he is concerned about Scientology and wants to proceed, albeit carefully, in seeking further action.

Marc Headley has also taken Scientology head-on in a bold insider memoir entitled “Blown for Good.” Headley provides vivid accountings of activities within Scientology that confirm the Australian Senator’s concerns.

Detailing his life inside Scientology, Headley describes many of his experiences, particularly during 15 years at their International Headquarters, a Hemet, California desert compound called Gold Base. He worked long hours at the 500 acre guarded facility, which is also called Int Base, or International Base and was a member of the Church’s paramilitary group called Sea Organzation, or Sea Org.

“Blown” is the Scientology term for someone who leaves the group without authorization. A number of comments left on the Amazon.com website were from those who indicated they were ex-Scientologists and confirmed the author’s accounts.

Headley left Scientology in 2005 in a manner that sounds like a Hollywood action movie. Fleeing Gold Base on a motorcycle, he was chased by base security guards and eventually crashed. Riverside County police helped him escape from the guards when they came upon a shouting match between Headley and his pursuers.

His wife’s subsequent escape, while being watched day and night back as Gold Base also contains the same level of suspense and intrigue.

The forward for the book was written by another former Scientologist Mark “Marty” Rathbun, who is, ironically, still very enthusiastic about L. Ron Hubbard’s teachings.

In describing his relationship with the author, Rathbun writes, “While Marc Headley and I were stationed at the same international headquarters property of the Church of Scientology’s elite Sea Organization for nearly fifteen years, his views of some of Scientology founder Hubbard’s writings and my views differed greatly. I never had time to write or send the note because I could not put the manuscript down. I was gripped by Marc’s personal story.”

Despite the alarming number of allegations, Scientology continues to grow. According to spokesman Tommy Davis, the “church” has grown ...

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Despite the alarming number of allegations, Scientology continues to grow. According to spokesman Tommy Davis, the “church” has grown ...

Now, why would I NOT believe Tommy Davis?

Lynn Fountain Campbell

Silver Meritorious Patron
http://www.catholic.org/international/international_story.php?id=34905&page=2

More Heavy Seas Threaten the Future of Scientology

WASHINGTON, D.C. (Catholic Online) – The last few weeks have not been kind to Scientology. On November 5, 2009, Marc Headley’s tell-all book about Scientology, “Blown for Good,” was released.

Then on Tuesday, November 17, Independent Senator Nick Xenophon addressed the Australian Parliament, stating that "Scientology is not a religious organization; it is a criminal organization that hides behind its so-called religious belief."

After referring to Scientology during an interview on the Seven Network’s “Today Tonight” and questioning their tax-exempt status, the senator from South Australia reported that he had been contacted by a number of ex-Scientologists. The network had prepared more than two dozen stories about the group.

“There are allegations,” Xenophon told Parliament, “of false imprisonment, coerced abortions, embezzlement of church funds, physical violence, intimidation, blackmail and the widespread and deliberate abuse of information obtained by the organization.

“It is alleged that information about suspicious deaths and child abuse has been destroyed, and one follower has admitted he was coerced by the organization into perjuring himself during investigations into the deaths of his two daughters.”

What we are seeing is a worldwide pattern of abuse and criminality. On the body of evidence this is not happening by accident; it is happening by design…”

He cited specific cases, one of which involved Aaron Saxton who was born into Scientology and raised to high levels of leadership in Australia and the U.S. Over the years he was instructed to keep silent about his being raped by another man in the organization as well as other observed criminal activity. He indicated that he had participated in illegal confinement and torture, diversion of funds, along with child-abuse and murder cover-ups.

Other stories included by Xenophon in his address documented physical abuse, mental abuse, blackmail, and mind control tactics. He called upon Parliament to establish a formal inquiry into Scientology and its tax-exempt status.

“Religious freedom,” he concluded, “did not mean the Catholic or Anglican Churches were not held accountable for crimes and abuses committed by their priests, nuns and officials— albeit belatedly.

“Ultimately, this is not about religious freedom. In Australia there are no limits on what you can believe. But there are limits on how you can behave. It is called the law, and no-one is above it.”

Protesters gathered outside of Scientology’s Sydney headquarters, stirred by Xenophon’s speech. At the same time, Australian Prime Minister Rudd stated, after the Senator’s address, that he is concerned about Scientology and wants to proceed, albeit carefully, in seeking further action.

Marc Headley has also taken Scientology head-on in a bold insider memoir entitled “Blown for Good.” Headley provides vivid accountings of activities within Scientology that confirm the Australian Senator’s concerns.

Detailing his life inside Scientology, Headley describes many of his experiences, particularly during 15 years at their International Headquarters, a Hemet, California desert compound called Gold Base. He worked long hours at the 500 acre guarded facility, which is also called Int Base, or International Base and was a member of the Church’s paramilitary group called Sea Organzation, or Sea Org.

“Blown” is the Scientology term for someone who leaves the group without authorization. A number of comments left on the Amazon.com website were from those who indicated they were ex-Scientologists and confirmed the author’s accounts.

Headley left Scientology in 2005 in a manner that sounds like a Hollywood action movie. Fleeing Gold Base on a motorcycle, he was chased by base security guards and eventually crashed. Riverside County police helped him escape from the guards when they came upon a shouting match between Headley and his pursuers.

His wife’s subsequent escape, while being watched day and night back as Gold Base also contains the same level of suspense and intrigue.

The forward for the book was written by another former Scientologist Mark “Marty” Rathbun, who is, ironically, still very enthusiastic about L. Ron Hubbard’s teachings.

In describing his relationship with the author, Rathbun writes, “While Marc Headley and I were stationed at the same international headquarters property of the Church of Scientology’s elite Sea Organization for nearly fifteen years, his views of some of Scientology founder Hubbard’s writings and my views differed greatly. I never had time to write or send the note because I could not put the manuscript down. I was gripped by Marc’s personal story.”

Digg it!

http://digg.com/d31AoD1

Lynn

skydog

Patron Meritorious
[

Excuse me Tommy Davis, but no one believes you. I know you have read Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland" because it is part of the "tech" used in the communications course. All I can say is there must be rocks in the rabbit hole because most scientologists seem to be hiding under them these days.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

byte301

Crusader
LOL, Pot-Kettle-Black. Catholics are much bigger cult!

They don't beat people (unless you count the nun's) and they don't keep their members in a gulag.

They got over that quite a while ago. When the chld molestations became public their own members demanded justice. When's the last time you saw a scilon walk out of the org and into a picket line?

This is a pet peeve of mine. Scilons all over the internet like to throw up the Catholics as an example of a bad religion. As if that made what they do okay.

Catholics also actually do good work. They help people that are in need.

They don't try to sell them a purif for example. They actually give rather then take.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
Where did I say that Catholics (or other religions) abuses make scientology's abuses okay? I never did. Keep your peeve in it's box.

I find it funny when one mind-control cult targets another mind-control cult as a mind-control cult. That's all.

I was raised Catholic, and if you think the beatings inculcated in the religion have stopped, guess again. How did Jesus save us all from our sin? Why, he was tortured and beaten! Being tortured and beaten makes you pure! Catholicism! Beatings and torture bring you closer to Jesus! Fuck that noise. Sorry if it bugs you, but it IS a cult, they've just toned it down and don't talk Latin as much.

byte301

Crusader
Where did I say that Catholics (or other religions) abuses make scientology's abuses okay? I never did. Keep your peeve in it's box.

I find it funny when one mind-control cult targets another mind-control cult as a mind-control cult. That's all.

I was raised Catholic, and if you think the beatings inculcated in the religion have stopped, guess again. How did Jesus save us all from our sin? Why, he was tortured and beaten! Being tortured and beaten makes you pure! Catholicism! Beatings and torture bring you closer to Jesus! Fuck that noise. Sorry if it bugs you, but it IS a cult, they've just toned it down and don't talk Latin as much.

No uniquemand, I didn't mean you. Sorry. I meant the scilons on youtube and in comment sections. Your post just reminded me that they do that all the time.

So you're saying that they still beat people? Can you give more details?

I know there's an off shoot of the Catholic Church here in New Mexico called penetentes that beat themselves but it isn't church sanctioned and is only practiced by men in small rural communities.

That's the only beatings I am aware of other then the nun's hitting people with rulers or dragging them to the office by their ears.

I wasn't raised Catholic but most of the people in my hometown were Catholic. I found them to be caring and sane individuals with very few exceptions.