What's new

Commander "Snake" Thompson

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hi! I've been reading one of Ron's books recently (the "Handbook for Preclears"), and in it he mentions Commander "Snake" Thompson, who he claims was a student of Freud.

I've seen no mention of the Commander anywhere else. Did he actually exist, or (as some ex-scientologists claimed once) was he an invented character?

MarkWI

Patron Meritorious
From Ken Oggers Super Scio book

Concerning "Snake" Thompson (the unauthorized biographies claim that he was made up by Ron), the guy really did exist and he wrote a book called "The Navy Operations Manual on Psychoanalysis". It was used in the Navy in WW2 and is probably the underlying source for the popular picture of pleasant and sensible Freudian analysts in the military which we get from shows like "MASH". It was a very good and practical book and was reprinted as a popular paperback in the late 1950s. I think it even uses phrases like "This is an operation manual for the human mind" and includes techniques on regression therapy etc. I had a copy back around 1963 and it was the best book on psychoanalysis that I have ever read. Unfortunately, it was tossed along with loads of other psych books when I became fanatically inspired by LRH tech a few years later. If I'd known, I'd have hung on to it.

In the book, the commander discusses studying with Freud in Vienna and then going to various military bases in Asia to experiment with the techniques. I think that the timing was right for Ron to bump into him while sailing back to the US.

The org doesn't seem to be digging out this book and holding it up to prove Ron's story. Perhaps it has a bit too much of early Dianetics in it. Or more likely, he got the guy's name wrong. It has been over 30 years since I read the book and I'm not sure but it could have been by Commander Thomas something or other ("Snake" is obviously a nickname). The org wouldn't dare bring it up if Ron misremembered the man's name since a Clear should have perfect recall and since Ron was supposed to have studied with him instead of simply talking with him a bit (and maybe getting a copy of his book) during a long sea voyage.

Ladybird

Silver Meritorious Patron
Here is a thread from OCMB where Commander Thompson and his influence on LRH is discussed:

http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=16702&postorder

Commander Joseph "Snake" Cheesman Thompson, born 1874 was apparently not a psychoanalyst, but a biologist who wrote books on garter snakes and other reptiles...not all data confirmed yet, but here is a start:

A coincidence: William Sims Bainbridge, who wrote
sociological articles about Scientology, is a descendent of
Commander "Snake" Thompson.
William Sims
Bainbridge has new information on Commander "Snake" Thompson,
described as a student of Freud by L. Ron Hubbard. Here is
Bainbridge's statement on "Snake Thompson," quoted with permission:

"Snake Thompson was the best friend of my great uncle, Con
(Consuelo Seoane). Together, around 1911, they spent nearly two years
as American spies inside the Japanese Empire, charting possible
invasion routes and counting all the Japanese fortifications and naval
guns. It was an official but top secret joint Army-Navy spy
expedition, with Con representing the Army, and Snake, the Navy. They
pretended to be South African naturalists studying Japanese reptiles
and amphibians, and Con was constantly worried that Snake had a camera
hidden in his creel, which would get them shot if the Japanese checked
too closely. Thompson habitually wore a green scarf fastened with a
gold pin in the shape of a snake."

Bio from: http://www.imminst.org/book1/
William Sims Bainbridge, Ph.D. Deputy Director for the Division of Information and Intelligent Systems at the National Science Foundation, Dr. Bainbridge has written fourteen books and numerous book chapters and articles concerning science, sociology and advancing technology.

Progress Toward Cyberimmortality "Advances in information technology are essential for most of the imaginable means for achieving immortality, and fundamental to many. Before nanoscale robots are sent into a person's body to repair the damage from aging, computers will have to analyze what is needed and design the nanobots..."

From W.Barwell:

1. LRH is a known liar and poor source of information.
2. The tale is prima facie unlikely in the extreme.
3. There is good evidence, LRH's diary, to doubt his claim as
this diary shows LRH did not spent the summer studying with Snake.
4. LRH's story Snake was a personal student of Freud is false
as shown by utter lack of Thompson's name in any of Freud's
records which are volumous and well known. A student would
surely show up here and Thompson simply does not.
5. There is very good evidence to show Thompson was a working
zoologist and none to show he was a working psychoanalyst
despite your specific claims this is true.

From another Barwell post: In 1984, Thompson's own (step) daughter provided
> the Church with a charcoal sketch of her father. She pointed
> out that his name is written the way his friends in the
> Orient used to spell it. It is "Joe Tom Sun," with snakes
> drawn into the tops of the capital letters.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.religion.scientology/msg/9b9f81d54ca5568c?&q=Joe+Tom+Sun

Mike Goldstein

Patron with Honors
Hi! I've been reading one of Ron's books recently (the "Handbook for Preclears"), and in it he mentions Commander "Snake" Thompson, who he claims was a student of Freud.

I've seen no mention of the Commander anywhere else. Did he actually exist, or (as some ex-scientologists claimed once) was he an invented character?
There were stories that existed in Scientology that this guy, Snake Thompson, was a personal student of Freud, and that LRH studied with Thompson.
When I was first assigned by LRH to the Pers PRO office on the ship, one project I was given was to write a sort of mini-bio on him that would come out as an 8 or 10 page issue for orgs and missions. I wasn't a professional writer, and my "research" consisted of just taking things from book jackets and whereever else I could find info on LRH's life. I remembered this story about Thompson but could find no real data or reference about it, so I asked LRH about it.
LRH told me that he never studied under Thompson; that Thompson was an acquaintance of Hubbard's father, and that when LRH was a kid, his father once introduced him to Thompson. That was it.
Mike Goldstein

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
LRH told me that he never studied under Thompson; that Thompson was an acquaintance of Hubbard's father, and that when LRH was a kid, his father once introduced him to Thompson. That was it.
Mike Goldstein

Yeah, but since he lied so much, maybe in reality he studied under Thompson for hundreds of hours.... :)

Thanks for this, Mike.

Paul

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yeah, but since he lied so much, maybe in reality he studied under Thompson for hundreds of hours.... :)

Thanks for this, Mike.

Paul

:lol: I suppose a lot more people have heard of "Snake" Thompson because of LRH's embellishments than would otherwise have done (he'd most likely be a forgotten figure today if it wasn't for Ron), so there's something to be said for him after all.

Mike Goldstein

Patron with Honors

Thanks for this, Mike.

Paul
I got the idea from taking to him, that the Thompson thing was not a rumor that
LRH started. Obviously, he didn't write anything to dispel the rumor. But maybe he didn't consider it that big of deal to make any issue of it. Or, he might have left it out there as it was because it did add to the "mystique" about Hubbard's life. Who knows? But when I asked him directly about, he basically said that it was bullshit and told me what I have relayed to you.
Mike

Peter Soderqvist

Patron with Honors
Here is a thread from OCMB where Commander Thompson and his influence on LRH is discussed:

http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=16702&postorder

Commander Joseph "Snake" Cheesman Thompson, born 1874 was apparently not a psychoanalyst, but a biologist who wrote books on garter snakes and other reptiles...not all data confirmed yet, but here is a start:

From W.Barwell:
A coincidence: William Sims Bainbridge, who wrote
sociological articles about Scientology, is a descendent of
Commander "Snake" Thompson.
William Sims
Bainbridge has new information on Commander "Snake" Thompson,
described as a student of Freud by L. Ron Hubbard. Here is
Bainbridge's statement on "Snake Thompson," quoted with permission:

"Snake Thompson was the best friend of my great uncle, Con
(Consuelo Seoane). Together, around 1911, they spent nearly two years
as American spies inside the Japanese Empire, charting possible
invasion routes and counting all the Japanese fortifications and naval
guns. It was an official but top secret joint Army-Navy spy
expedition, with Con representing the Army, and Snake, the Navy. They
pretended to be South African naturalists studying Japanese reptiles
and amphibians, and Con was constantly worried that Snake had a camera
hidden in his creel, which would get them shot if the Japanese checked
too closely. Thompson habitually wore a green scarf fastened with a
gold pin in the shape of a snake."

Bio from: http://www.imminst.org/book1/
William Sims Bainbridge, Ph.D. Deputy Director for the Division of Information and Intelligent Systems at the National Science Foundation, Dr. Bainbridge has written fourteen books and numerous book chapters and articles concerning science, sociology and advancing technology.

Progress Toward Cyberimmortality "Advances in information technology are essential for most of the imaginable means for achieving immortality, and fundamental to many. Before nanoscale robots are sent into a person's body to repair the damage from aging, computers will have to analyze what is needed and design the nanobots..."

From another Barwell post: In 1984, Thompson's own (step) daughter provided
> the Church with a charcoal sketch of her father. She pointed
> out that his name is written the way his friends in the
> Orient used to spell it. It is "Joe Tom Sun," with snakes
> drawn into the tops of the capital letters.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.r...&q=Joe+Tom+Sun

Soderqvist1: There is evidence suggestive of that Thompson has met the little young Hubbard and had taught him some basics!

Uttermost East and the Longest War. By Seoane, Rhoda Low.
258 p., 3 plates (photos), diagrams, index; 20.5 cm. "Rhoda Seoane has woven through this book a most graphic account, dealing with the Boxer Uprising, Putnam Weale, her late husband, Colonel Seoane, and his friends, Commander Joseph ["Snake"] Thompson
and Brigadier-General Henry J. Reilly, active in the U.S. Naval and Military Services,
http://www.tomfolio.com/bookdetailssu.asp?b=830&m=220

ANTIQBOOK Uttermost East and the Longest War
The trials and travels of the author's husband, Colonel Conseulo Seoane, who with Joseph Thompson , sucessfully performed espionage all over Japan and Okinawa; Written by the widow of Consuelo Seoane who was one of only two officers who successfully performed espionage in Japan and China in the first decade of this century, immediately following the Boxer Rebellion and the Russian Japanese war.
http://www.antiqbook.com/boox/ind/12953.shtml

Lecture 23 September 1950 Further Introduction to Dianetics by L. Ron Hubbard wrote:
Man has been thinking for a very long time about man. I was in the Orient when I was young. Of course, I was a harum-scarum kid; I wasn’t thinking about deep philosophic problems; but I had a lot of friends. One such friend was Commander “Snake” Thompson. He was a very interesting man. He signed his name Thompson by drawing a snake over the top of the T. He was quite unique. He is still very well known by repute in the navy today, but he has been dead, I regret to say, these many years.

He had studied under Sigmund Freud, and he found me a very wide-eyed and wide-eared boy. He had just come from Vienna, and his mouth and mind were full of associative words, libido theories, conversion, and all the rest of it. He had been out into the Polynesian group, and had dug up ancient skeletons of a race nobody had ever suspected existed before. He had served as an intelligence officer in Japan during the First World War. This man had a tremendous influence upon me.
http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?p=347924#347924

1 LRH is a known liar and poor source of information.
2. The tale is prima facie unlikely in the extreme.

Soderqvist1. Because Judge Breckenridge has called Mr. Hubbard a pathological liar doesn’t mean that every sentence Hubbard has uttered from the cradle to the grave is a lie! The tale is unlikely, but yet, truth in the main!

3. There is good evidence, LRH's diary, to doubt his claim as
this diary shows LRH did not spent the summer studying with Snake.

Soderqvist1: The diary shows that he was on the ship, but the there is no mentioning about commander Thompson in it!

DECLARATION OF VAUGHN YOUNG
I did confirm the existence of "Snake" Thompson (now deceased) as Joseph Chessman Thompson. I also confirmed every statement that Mr. Hubbard made about him right down to a trip they made from San Francisco and through the Panama Canal in 1923 by finding the passenger list of the ship. I am providing copies of Thompson's birth certificate, a cover note from the Department of Health and Human Services about an article Thompson wrote on psychoanalystic literature and the passenger list just cited.
http://www.whyaretheydead.net/krasel/declaration-vaughn051285.htm

L Ron Hubbard a chronicle
1923 In October, Harry Ross Hubbard receives orders to report to the nation’s capital. Ron and his parents board the USS Ulysses S. Grant on 1 November 1923 and sail to New York from San Francisco through the recently opened Panama Canal. They then journey to Washington, DC. During this voyage, Ron meets Commander Joseph “Snake” Thompson, who has recently returned from Vienna and studies with Sigmund Freud. Through the course of their friendship, the commander spends many an afternoon in the Library of Congress teaching Ron what he knows of the human mind.
http://www.scientology.org/l-ron-hubbard/chronicle/pg001.html

4. LRH's story Snake was a personal student of Freud is false
as shown by utter lack of Thompson's name in any of Freud's
records which are volumous and well known. A student would
surely show up here and Thompson simply does not.

Soderqvist1: it is not beyond reasonable doubt that he was a personal student of Freud, but Thompson’s correspondence with Freud is on record!

Sigmund Freud in the Library of Congress
Correspondence with Sigmund Freud, 1876-1974 Box 42
Sun, Joe Tom (pseudonym of a Dr. Thompson, Baltimore, M d.), 1923
Thompson, Dr. [?] See same container, Sun, Joe Tom
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/h?faid/faid:@field(DOCID+ms004017)#Container List

The Church of Scientology Studies in Contemporary Religion by J. GORDON MELTON
4. Indicative of the continuing relationship between Thompson and Freud is an interesting postcard found in the Freud papers at the Library of Congress
in which Thompson is thanked for sending his mentor a "charming photograph of the 3 beauties at the Pacific Ocean."
Postcard from Sigmund Freud to Thompson, July 27, 1923, in Library of Congress;
copy in the American Religions Collection of the University of California, Santa Barbara.
http://www.signaturebooks.com/excerpts/scientology.htm

Transcripts From The Gerry Armstrong Case Page 4342 – 4345
Q And were you able to find anything that showed that this individual, Joseph Chessman Thompson, had had any connection with Sigmund Freud?

A Yes, we did.
This is obtained from the private papers of Sigmund Freud in Washington, D.C. This is a post card, which was sent to Commander Thompson.It is in German and somebody else can do the translation. It is basically, “Thanks for the photographs and do keep in touch.” We got it from the Library of Congress. This is correlated also by his stepdaughter who I have spoken with, Mr. Thompson’s stepdaughter.
http://www.gerryarmstrong.org/50k/legal/a1/1627.php

The international journal of Psychoanalysis 81:833-835
Molino has put together a fascinating variety of texts. He begins with a historical section, stretching back to the 1920s and the exuberant writing of Joe Tom Sun (also known as the Chicago psychoanalyst, Joseph Thompson),
http://www.pep-web.org/document.php?id=IJP.081.0833A

Psychology in Primitive Buddhism by Joe Tom Sun
From time immemorial the Law of Cause and Effect has been accepted by the philosopher when considering matters relating to the physical world.
To the early Aryan thinkers cause and effect played so important a rle that in speech there arose a single term to express the concept.
This word was “Karma,” and it was tersely and dynamically denned as: “That power by virtue of which cause is followed by effect.”
The gift of gifts that was made by Buddha to mankind was his application of this Karmic Law, the law of cause and effect, to the moral world.
In his discourses he contended this with inexorable consistency.
http://www.pep-web.org/document.php?id=psar.011.0039a

Last edited:

Peter Soderqvist

Patron with Honors
5. There is very good evidence to show Thompson was a working zoologist

Soderqvist1: Yes I have found a photography on commander Snake Thompson in The journal of San Diego History Images, approximately around 1917.

Summer 1978, Volume 24, Number 3
Commander J. C. Thompson was a neurosurgeon assigned to Navy Hospital. Entomology was a hobby, and he also showed an interest in the herpetofauna of San Diego County. He offered to supervise the construction of a reptile house, announcing that he already had plans for one. He was elected vice-president of the Zoological Society, and was appointed with Dr. Harry Wegeforth and Frank Stephens to draw up the Articles of Incorporation and the By-Laws. Thompson is given credit for much of the planning of the Zoo's education program.
http://www.sandiegohistory.org/journal/78summer/zoo.htm

Images From The Article
http://www.sandiegohistory.org/journal/78summer/zooimages.htm

And none to show he was a working psychoanalyst
despite your specific claims this is true.

Soderqvist1: It seems to me that you are honestly mistaken!

TRANSCRIPT OF TAPE #1 OF JUNE 28, 1984 - RON DE WOLF Side 1
Dr. Snake Thompson, a psychiatrist in the Navy that my father knew via my grandfather.
He named many, many sources for Scientology at various times throughout these early years.
http://www.lermanet.com/scientology-and-occult/tape-by-L-Ron-Hubbard-jr.htm

Is it all based on one man’s work?
Although Dianetics and Scientology were discovered by L. Ron Hubbard, he wrote: “Acknowledgment is made to fifty thousand years of thinking men without whose speculations and observations the creation and construction of Dianetics would not have been possible. Credit in particular is due to:
“Anaxagoras, Thomas Paine, Aristotle, Thomas Jefferson, Socrates, René Descartes, Plato, James Clerk Maxwell, Euclid, Charcot, Lucretius, Herbert Spencer, Roger Bacon, William James, Francis Bacon, Sigmund Freud, Isaac Newton, van Leeuwenhoek, Cmdr. Joseph Thompson (MC) USN, William A. White, , Voltaire, Will Durant, Count Alfred Korzybski, and my instructors in atomic and molecular phenomena, mathematics and the humanities at George Washington University and at Princeton.”
http://www.whatisscientology.org/html/Part12/Chp36/pg0636-a.html

E., T.D. (1925). Varia. Psychoanal. Rev., 12:244-248. Page 246 -247
The Washington Psychoanalytic Association, Washington, D. C., was organized April 11, 1924, for the purpose of furthering and disseminating knowledge relative to psychoanalysis. The membership is restricted to physicians who, in order to be admitted, must present a thesis containing the history of one case, successfully analyzed by the applicant. Another requirement is that, before an applicant may be considered for admittance, he must present evidence of having been successfully analyzed by a competent psychoanalyst. The present officers of the association are: Wm. A. White, M.D., President; Joseph C. Thompson, M.D., Vice-President;

Lucille Dooley, M.D., Secretary and Treasurer. The other charter members are Philip S. Graven, M.D., Louis D. Hubbard, M.D., and Benjamin Karpman, M.D.
The following papers have so far been presented: An Analysis of a Case of Vampirism, by Philip S. Graven, M.D.; Freudian Mechanisms, by Joseph C. Thompson, M.D.; The Psychopathology of Exhibitionism, with report of a case, by Ben Karpman, M.D.; A Case of Obsession with Phobias, by Lucille Dooley, M.D.; Rank's Modification of the Psychoanalytic Technic, by William A. White, M.D.
http://www.pep-web.org/document.php?id=psar.012.0244a

Lecture 06 February 1952: Dianetics: The Modern Miracle
Well, there was Dr. William Alanson White, a very fine man. He was head of the big St. Elizabeth’s, the big mental institution there in Washington, D.C., and he had been a friend of mine for quite a while. I had met him through other friends of Dr. Thompson’s. And I went over there and very proudly I said, “Now, look what I’ve done.”
http://carolineletkeman.org/sp/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=727&Itemid=240

This is nice historical research Peter. Do you know if there is any documentation that proves Hubbard and Thompson actually met?
Strictly speaking, Hubbard's memoirs or recollections are helpful, and shows they probably met. It may not be legal proof, but historically I think there would be a concensus, and the accepted judgment would be that they did meet
Nice work!.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Peter Soderqvist

Patron with Honors
Soderqvist1: It seems to me that it is proven beyond reasonable doubt that they did met on the ship, but if Hubbard was educated on the ship is somewhat doubtful! In my first message on page 1 in this topic, we have Robert Vaughn Young’s testimony that he found the passenger list and both the Hubbard Family, and Commander Thompson is on it. And we also have Ron Junior’s statement that his father knew him through his grandfather, and we also know that both Commander Thompson, and Lieutenant Henry Ross Hubbard were in the navy!

This is Russell Miller’s account!

Bare-Faced Messiah Page 22-24
In October 1923, Lieutenant Hubbard completed sea duty on the USS Oklahoma and, after brief spells of temporary duty in San Francisco and New York, was assigned for further training to the Bureau of Supply and Accounts School of Application in Washington DC. The US Navy, which clearly despised any form of land transport, saved itself the cost of two long-distance train fares by giving May and Ron berths on the USS U.S. Grant, a German warship acquired by the US Navy after the First World War, which was due to sail from Seattle to Hampton Roads, Virginia, via the Panama Canal. It was thus December, and the snow was thick on the ground, before the Hubbard’s were re-united in Washington after a voyage of some seven thousand miles, three-quarters of the way round the coast of the United States. It was on this trip, it seems, that Ron met the enigmatic Commander 'Snake' Thompson of the US Navy Medical Corps, a psychoanalyst he would later claim was responsible for awakening his youthful interest in Freud, although he only made the briefest mention of the journey in his journal. His style of writing was fluent, breezy, school boyishly cocksure and addressed directly to the reader. 'If obviously pushed upon,' he wrote, 'I supposed I could write a couple of thousands [sic] words on that trip . . . But I spare you.'
http://www.clambake.org/archive/books/bfm/bfm01.htm#23

Soderqvist1: in my message on page 1 where Hubbard is talking about Snake Thompson as spy, he has also mentioned there that; “He (Thompson) had been out into the Polynesian group, and had dug up ancient skeletons of a race nobody had ever suspected existed before.”

The Journal of The Polynesian Society Volume 23 1923 [347] Movements of Anthropologists
Reports from Commander J. C. Thompson and Hans G. Hornbostel, representing the Bishop Museum, indicate successful outcome of the explorations in Guam and the southern Marianne Islands. Much information has been obtained about the culture of the vanished Chamorros, a flourishing race at the time of Magellan's visit in 1521. Under the direction of M. F. Malcolm, assisted by the Governor of Saipan, the remarkable ruins on the Japanese Island of Tinian, visited by Anson (1749), Mortimer (1791) and Freycinet (1817), are being studied with a view to enlarging the knowledge of migration routes and inter-relations of Pacific peoples.—Science, quoted in American Anthropologist.
http://www.jps.auckland.ac.nz/docum...lume_32,_No._127/Notes_and_queries,_p_184-186

Soderqvist1: as you probably know, Ron’s father was stationed in Guam; they probably met each other there too!

Peter Soderqvist

Patron with Honors
Soderqvist1: did you know that Commander Thompson has spent some time in Tibet as a buddhist monk in a monastry?
I have found another photography on commander Thompson from 1936, on a cat breeder homesite; Black and Tan old Time siamese,
Thompson is 60 years old here togheter with one of his cats Tai Noo Mau.

Historic Siamese before the 1940's
http://www.blackandtansiamese.com/historicsiamese/historic_before_1940s.htm#~1936~

Burmese Breeders History
The modern Burmese saga began in 1930 with a female cat named Wong Mau. Thompson spent time as a Buddhist monk in Tibet and became fascinated with the shorthaired, brown cats that abounded in the area. These felines, called copper cats in their native region, have been around Southeast Asia for centuries. Thompson was so taken with the unique brown coat of Wong Mau and her charming personality that he set out to determine her genetic makeup and establish a scientific breeding program so he could create more just like her.
http://www.breedersden.com/burmese.htm

IAMS Cat Breeder Guide
Thompson served as a U.S. Navy doctor for some years and had developed a strong interest in Asia. He spent time in a monastery in Tibet and became familiar with the shorthaired, solid brown cats in the area. Thompson was so taken with Wong Mau’s beauty and personality that, with the help of like-minded breeders and geneticists, the doctor began a carefully planned breeding program designed to isolate Wong Mau’s distinguishing characteristics so he could reproduce her type and color. Since no Adam had accompanied Thompson’s Eve on the trip from Burma, Thompson bred Wong Mau to one of his breeding Siamese males, a seal point named Tai Mau.
http://us.iams.com/iams/en_US/jsp/IAMS_Page.jsp?pageID=CBD&breedPage=burmese.html

HISTORY OF THE BURMESE
Dr. Thompson enlisted the help of two prominent breeders, Virginia Cobb (Newton cattery) and Billie Gerst (Gerstdale cattery) and Dr. Clyde E. Keeler, a prominent geneticist. The four of them developed and established an experimental breeding program. Since Siamese were considered the closest in appearance, they were used in the breeding program. After two generations, this program resulted in kittens with three distinct colorations: some looked just like Siamese, some looked like Wong Mau (with medium brown body color and darker points and some a solid dark-chocolate brown color. The later were considered the most attractive and the breeding program was aimed at isolating the genetic makeup of the phenotype.

Discovering that these dark brown cats could indeed breed true, consistently producing dark brown cats, while the walnut brown variety, such as Wong Mau herself, continued to produce kittens in the three variations of coloration, the theory that Wong Mau was the first Tonkinese was proved. The results of the original experimental breeding program was published in the April 1943 Journal of Heredity, "Genetics of the Burmese Cat," by the four program participants cited above. Unfortunately, Dr. Thompson did not live to see this paper published. He died of a heart attack while the paper was in publication. This breeding program established the American Burmese.
http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cach...ORY+OF+THE+BURMESE+"&hl=sv&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=se

JOURNAL OF HEREDITY GENETICS OF THE BURMESE CAT
THOMPSON et al. J Hered.1943; 34: 119-123
http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/34/4/119

Hubbard's Autobiography
Commander Thompson wrote innumerable monographs on all manner of observations in various parts of the world which he had visited, and all of them dealing with ethnology. He was a very fine man and I was very fortunate to have known him.
http://www.solitarytrees.net/cowen/misc/auto2.htm

at3ist

Patron with Honors
i think the point is that lrh was trained in psycology, hypnosis and stuff, other way there is no way he come up with this kind of stuff, so comander thompson sounds real to me, oh wait he really exist

dr3k

Patron with Honors
I just want to say this thread is absolutely incredible. For years I doubted the existence of "Snake Thompson" but here it is, in print. Thanks for this, I'm glad somebody spent the time!

Peter Soderqvist

Patron with Honors
I just want to say this thread is absolutely incredible. For years I doubted the existence of "Snake Thompson" but here it is, in print. Thanks for this, I'm glad somebody spent the time!

Soderqvist1: I am glad that you appreciated my little essay!
I have even found Consuelo Seoane’ s own book “Beyond the Ranges” from 1960 on Amazon. Com!

Beyond the Ranges
Beyond the Ranges by Colonel Consuelo Andrew Seoane, U.S. Army, as told to Robert L. Niemann, is a classic book on the craft of intelligence, recounting the long career of the author as a distinguished intelligence officer in the U.S. Army. His experience and opinions based upon that experience in this book were assessed by Military Review: "Seoane is an astute and independent observer of men and events." From 1909-1911 Seoane and Commander Joseph "Snake" Thompson, U.S.
http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Ranges-Colonel-Consuelo-Andrew/dp/0831500697

Soderqvist1: There is more on Thompson here, Clara Thompson was psychoanalyzed by Commander Thompson!
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=5880&page=2

Soderqvist1: I only make short quotes from links and let the reader review the link if he find it interesting to do so. I have read his widow Rhoda Low Seoane’ s book “The Longest War” from 1968 and I have written a new much bigger essay I will post here, but let’s us summarize what has been established earlier. Thompson was a spy in the Far East and even Vice President in the Psychoanalytic Society in Washington, etc, and Nibs Hubbard’s statement; “Dr. Snake Thompson, a psychiatrist in the Navy that my father knew via my grandfather. He named many, many sources for Scientology at various times throughout these early years.” and Robert Vaughn Young’s statement that he had found the Passenger List with Ron and his mother together with Thompson on it. But we don’t know what happened on that ship except Hubbard’s meager utterance in his diary in Russell Miller’s Bare-Faced Messiah; “If obviously pushed upon,' he wrote, 'I supposed I could write a couple of thousands [sic] words on that trip . . . But I spare you.'”

Soderqvist1: So one wonder about what he had in mind with; “couple of thousands Words on that Trip” Maybe it is this? ;

COMMANDER THOMPSON
I traveled with Commander Thompson from Seattle, Washington through the Panama Canal to Washington, D. C. when I was about twelve and knew him during all that time that I was in Washington and later. Commander Thompson was the first man to study with Sigmund Freud from the U. S. Government and had just returned from his studies, bringing psychoanalysis back to the United States Navy. Through his friendship I attended many lectures given at Naval hospitals and generally became conversant with psychoanalysis as it had been exported from Austria by Freud.
http://carolineletkeman.org/sp/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1439&Itemid=240

Lecture: The Story of Dianetics and Scientology
Anyway; at the Library of Congress in Washington, DC, where they have all the books on everything, he started shoving my nose into an education in the field of the mind. Now, that's a very unusual thing to do, to take a twelve-year-old boy and start doing something with the mind. But he really got me interested in the subject But actually Commander Thompson had a very open mind on this, and he used to tell me, „Well, if it's not true for you, it's not true.“ And I found out that he got this from a fellow named Gautama Siddhartha.
http://carolineletkeman.org/sp/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1432&Itemid=240

Lecture: Dianetics The Modern Miracle
I was just a kid and Commander Thompson didn't have any boy of his own, and he and I just got along fine.
http://carolineletkeman.org/sp/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=727&Itemid=240

Uttermost East and The Longest war by Rhoda Low Seoane
Rhoda Seoane has woven through this book a most graphic account, dealing with the Boxer Uprising, Putnam Weale, her late husband, Colonel Seoane, and his friends, Commander Joseph ["Snake"] Thompson and Brigadier-General Henry J. Reilly, active in the U.S. Naval and Military Services
http://www.tomfolio.com/bookdetailssu.asp?b=830&m=220

Uttermost East and the Longest War
1968. Hardcover The trials and travels of the author's husband, Colonel Consuelo Seoane, who with Joseph Thompson, successfully performed espionage all over Japan and Okinawa; Written by the widow of Consuelo Seoane who was one of only two officers who successfully performed espionage in Japan and China in the first decade of this century, immediately following the Boxer Rebellion and the Russian Japanese war.
http://www.antiqbook.com/boox/ind/12953.shtml

Chapter 6 Spying In Japan
Page 94: There was that day in Washington when “Snake” Thompson that unusual and astute personality, stood before Seoane once again. “Seoane” he began in his customary direct manner. “I am scheduled to give a talk to a group of medical officers at the naval hospital close by on the subject of psychiatry, which I have been following at St. Elizabeth’s. Won’t you come over and join the group at three a clock tomorrow?” Seoane accepted with pleasure and said he would be there. The next day Seoane was among the group of medical officers present, and admired both Thompson’s fluency of speech and his manner of presenting the subject without notes. After their lecture was concluded, Seoane joined him and they talked about their former work in Japan.

Page 97: The Colonel’s dark eyes glowed with interest as he continued to recount how “snake” – as he liked to be called – because of his interest in snakes and coleoptera, or hard-shelled beetles, never spoke to a superior in rank as a subordinate, for he always felt himself the other’s mental match. For alertness of mind and quickness in action, there were few his equal and none his superior.“One day in Formosa I said to him, ‘Snake, what would you do if a card player confronted you with a pistol?’” “ ‘I would have it out of his grasp before he realized what was happening,’ was his quick answer.

“Thompson never consumed any alcohol, neither did he smoke. His knowledge of whatever subject he might be interested in was so detailed and his mind as sharp as a razor’s edge, he would have been a most able cross-examiner in court. I formed this opinion during our five hundred-mile trek together.”

Page 98. Snake knew that he had been selected for a task, which none other had been able to qualify for, and he was fluent in Japanese, he wanted to apply full use of his wits to his country’s service. He selected Seoane as his essential companion because of his understanding of topography and a general military knowledge. One day they received a courtesy call from a Japanese natural history professor. Thompson showed the professor’s card to Consuelo and said with grimace that our new caller has undoubtedly been sent by the police to inquire into our knowledge of natural history. “I will dispatch him, giving him an inferiority complex regarding his particular profession”. After this all such visits terminated.

Page 99: “Snake” do you remember the time you were at sea when you placed a crawling snake in a bathtub, making a humorous story for the chip’s officer”? Page 100: “his reply was merely the familiar twisted smile I know so well”. Consuelo Seoane’ s features relaxed and his lips parted, forming that brilliant smile, once seen never forgotten.

Commander Joseph Thompson had spent a tour of two years in the naval Hospital at Yokohama, refreshing his knowledge of Japanese, which he has learned as a boy in Japan, where his father had been a missionary. Later he was detached from Yokohama to become part of the American Naval contingent engaged in the Boxer Uprising.

Page 101: “Thompson had an unusual temperament, I learned subsequently that when in Washington he would go to the Congressional Library for diversion, in order to read Sanskrit, an Indo-European language.”¨

Symbolism in The Sumerian Written Language Joe Tom Sunguam 1924
In antiquity there was a group of people living in Eastern Persia who to-day are called the Sumerians. It is believed that they were of Ural-Altaic stock and it is known that they spoke an agglutinative language. At a period which the consensus of archeological evidence places at about 6,000 years B.C. these people entered the lower stretches of the valley of the Euphrates, where they built cities and entered upon some of the earliest pages of human history.
http://www.pep-web.org/document.php?id=PSAR.011.0263A

Sun, J.T. (1923). Symbolism in the Chinese Written Language. Psychoanalytical. Rev., 10:183-189.
The study of Chinese writing affords an opportunity to gather facts bearing upon the question of symbolism in primitive word formation that is absolutely unparalleled in any other linguistic field. Ultimate justice to the subject can only be done by a highly trained Sinologue and one who is well versed in the lore of psychoanalysis. Chinese script as found to-day is rather complicated. Each character may stand for a single word or, as is almost invariably the case, for several words having quite different meanings.
http://www.pep-web.org/document.php?id=PSAR.010.0183A

Soderqvist1: Joe Tom Sun from Guam is Thompson’s Penname. There is photography on Commander Thompson on page 113. There he is unearthing skeletal remains of a prehistoric race on Island of Guam 1922. It belong to Consuelo Seoane, it is a memento he retained of his staunch friendship. Consuelo are saying about Thompson there that; “He had fundamental a kind nature”

The Journal of the Polynesian Society 1923 Movements of Anthropologists.
Reports from Commander J. C. Thompson and Hans G. Hornbostel, representing the Bishop Museum, indicate successful outcome of the explorations in Guam and the southern Marianne Islands. Much information has been obtained about the culture of the vanished Chamorros, a flourishing race at the time of Magellan's visit in 1521. Under the direction of M. F. Malcolm, assisted by the Governor of Saipan, the remarkable ruins on the Japanese Island of Tinian, visited by Anson (1749), Mortimer (1791) and Freycinet (1817), are being studied with a view to enlarging the knowledge of migration routes and inter-relations of Pacific peoples.—Science, quoted in American Anthropologist.
http://www.jps.auckland.ac.nz/docum...lume_32,_No._127/Notes_and_queries,_p_184-186

Lecture 23 September 1950 Further Introduction to Dianetics
L. Ron Hubbard wrote: Man has been thinking for a very long time about man. I was in the Orient when I was young. Of course, I was a harum-scarum kid; I wasn’t thinking about deep philosophic problems; but I had a lot of friends. One such friend was Commander “Snake” Thompson. He was a very interesting man. He signed his name Thompson by drawing a snake over the top of the T. He was quite unique. He is still very well known by repute in the navy today, but he has been dead, I regret to say, these many years.

He had studied under Sigmund Freud, and he found me a very wide-eyed and wide-eared boy. He had just come from Vienna, and his mouth and mind were full of associative words, libido theories, conversion, and all the rest of it. He had been out into the Polynesian group, and had dug up ancient skeletons of a race nobody had ever suspected existed before. He had served as an intelligence officer in Japan during the First World War. This man had a tremendous influence upon me.
http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?p=347924#347924

Rhoda Low Seoane Page 117: Snake 1922, on the Island of Guam, dug up one of the tombs of a previous people, whishing to determine what the anatomy showed. On that island are a number of gravestones marking the burial spot of previous people. The present-day inhabitants of this Island know absolute nothing as to who these prior inhabitants were, or in what period they lived there. Nevertheless, these marking stones are regarded with veneration and consequently, no one is allowed to molest them. The inhabitant became so aroused by Thompson’s unusual act that the Governor of Guam transmitted their complaints to Washington.” At this juncture the colonel paused, then said with a slight smile, “Soon afterward Thompson found himself in Hawaii .” A sudden breeze blew across the porch as a ripple of laughter floated the air.

Lecture: Mechanics of the mind By L. Ron Hubbard
I have followed that, however, fragmentarily. It just sort of dubs in to the career that I have been following to this degree that - I didn't realize this until one day I looked at a map, and in the field of expeditions, explorations, I always favoured certain quarters of the world, always went there and, when there, did certain things. It fits Commander Thompson's record. Amusing. It just suddenly struck me one day, that I hadn't ever realized it. Nothing would do at a certain place I went but what I would dig up one of the old, ancient tribal burial grounds. Never realized the significance of this until one day - I hadn't known this, you see - I was standing in the Bishop Museum in Hawaii and saw there the exhibit of Commander Thompson on some of the men he had dug up in a tribal burying grounds.
http://carolineletkeman.org/sp/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1564&Itemid=240

Introduction Technical Bulletins Volume I —L. Ron Hubbard
In the Twenties I was fortunate enough to know Commander Thompson of the Medical Corps of the United States Navy. He was a colourful man, poised, pollished, greatly travelled, curious in half a hundred sciences.
http://carolineletkeman.org/sp/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1441&Itemid=240

Lecture 6 April 1954: Universes By L. Ron Hubbard
Well, I got quite interested when I was twelve, mostly because I was interested in Commander Thompson. And the years went along and I knew Thompson again here and there, and I read books that he sent me and so forth.
http://carolineletkeman.org/sp/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1568&Itemid=240

Soderqvist1: Then Consuelo Seoane goes on to Thompson and his cats!

112 - 113: I received a letter from him indicating he had made San Francisco his home and had apparently become interested in Rising Siamese cats. He obviously loved these cats as he said he would not sell them, but would send them as gifts to friends, who he felt would give them good home. I was naturally flattered, and pleased that my old friend wanted to send me one of his cats across the continent, but as my taste in this matter did not coincide with his, I declined his thoughtful offer with thanks”

“I remember now, as we sit here in Merrifield, the first day on which Thompson learned me how to pick up a snake in my hand, I recall how the experience amused me”. “It was not long ago that I saw a notice of his death in the Service Journal, I was deeply mowed as I realized I had lost a staunch friend”.

Last edited:

Peter Soderqvist

Patron with Honors
Soderqvist1: Jacques Schnier was one of Commander Thompson's students!

A SCULPTOR'S ODYSSEY Jacques Schnier
Page 117 Schnier: Yes, it was to be a psychoanalyst. I wanted to practice because there was so much art in this book. So I was invited to meet this analyst. On Sundays he sometimes would have a group of people come up to see his cats. He had a wonderful collection of Siamese cats which he bred. I went up there and he sat on the floor and he was completely at ease, just like you and I are sitting here. He was sitting on the floor playing with his cats. That impressed me, how informal he was, and how unassuming. He wasn't dressed up with a bow tie, high collar and the like. He had on a woolen shirt and golf knickers. Knickers were still popular in those days. I liked that, and I figured he would be an understanding person, and
that's how I decided to consult him to be my mentor.

Page 121: Riess: How much did it cost?

Schnier: I'll tell you, that's what was very helpful then. I went to see Thompson and told him that I wanted to train as a lay psychoanalyst after I learned about Freud's opinion of it. I had a session with him and I found out how much it cost. He said he would take me on for five dollars an hour. So I said, "Fine," but I could only afford one day a week. He said, "All right." So I started one day a week. And then I got to thinking this wasn't enough, so I went to see him and asked him if I could do his portrait for extra hours. He said, "I'll tell you the truth. My main concern is feeding my cats. I've got a big bill keeping them in fish and meat, and I couldn't use a portrait for that purpose."

Page 136: Riess: But I'm amused that your arrangement with Thompson was in a way a kind of tithing, wasn't it? He asked a percentage of your income, which is what tithing is.

Schnier: Yes, but he had to live and he had to feed those Siamese cats!
[laughter] It was worth it. By the way, his fees went up as the years went by. I think he took me on just out of charity, at such a low fee, but it was worth it, every bit of it. Nowadays, of course, I don't think you can talk to a psychoanalyst for less than sixty-five, seventy-five dollars an hour, and a hundred dollars an hour is not unheard of.
http://www.archive.org/stream/sculptorodyssey00schnrich/sculptorodyssey00schnrich_djvu.txt

Rhoda Low Seoane Chapter 8 Talks with Bertram Simpson
Page123: On the 15t November 1900, Commander Joseph Thompson, attached to the United States Naval Force in Peking, who had just walked through remains of the Fu, approached the home of Bertram Lenox Simpson, whom he had met during the siege proper.

126: Bertram Lenox Simpson stretching out his hand, said; “Come in Thompson, and sit down.”

Page 132: “By the way Thompson, though this is a personal matter, I hope you will excuse what may seem to be perhaps too familiar. I have been interested in you unusual scarf pin – a small gold snake” His voice rose in a questioning tone. Thompson stated that he had long been interested in the study of snakes and Coleoptera, or hard-shelled beetles. In the Navy and behind his back, the men called him “Snake”. Once he had placed a snake in the bathtub. He was ordered to the naval Station at Key West in Florida, where there was but a small detachment of the Marine Corps and Naval Force, with no large hospital within easy reach. It might be presumed that any ability, which he might have had, would become rusty in such a remote spot. After he had been there for ten months he wrote to the authorities that he had found that station a most excellent place for the study of ichthyology, as the nearby waters abounded in all types of marine life. He therefore, requested that his station be extended for another year.
It was more than likely that his letter irritated the personnel in the Bureau at Washington, for he was quickly transferred to another post. When the time arrived for his examination, however he was duly passed and promoted.

Bertram Simpson smiled and asked in a rising voice: “I suppose you had your medical training in the States,” and continuing, he inquired, “and how do you happen to speak Japanese so Fluently?” “I spent some time in Japan.”
Darwin’s Origin of Species was Thompson’s favourite reading matter. He never drank or smoked, but his poker winnings gave him annually three thousand dollars a year. He always had the book with him and it was among his belongings in Peking. Simpson said quickly that he realized from the moment he has met Thompson that he had and exceedingly keen intellect. Thompson thanked him, and stating he was a graduate of the Colombia Medical School.

Notes On Serpents In The Family Colubridae By Joseph Thompson Surgeon U. S. N 1913
It is a curious fact that during the last two decades one of the rarest thing the literature dealing with Serpents is a detailed account of an individual specimen.
http://www.jstor.org/pss/4063497

Contribution To The Synonymy of Serpents in the Family Elapidae 1908
http://www.jstor.org/pss/4063511

4 books on Snakes and Salamanders on Amazon.Com By Joseph Thompson
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/s...x=books&field-author=Joseph Cheesman Thompson

Last edited: