What's new

Critical Review of One's Thinking

Off Policy

Patron
And they are NOT taught, or tolerated, anywhere in Scientology.

You can say that again....critical thinking skills will find you in Ethics in no time at all and you will suffer repeated upsets and ethics cycles until you eventually end up out on your butt by your choice or theirs. A blessing in disguise:yes:

kudos

It is going take awhile to assimilate this info but learning Critical Thinking and Logical Analysis skills will go a long way to help me understand how the cult deceives and manipulates...

Thanks Alanzo!

AnonOrange

Gold Meritorious Patron
Good post and a very important one.

Most important is to be self aware and be willing to correct your own confirmation biases. People tend to reinforce their beliefs rather than to be critical of them.

If people would spend 50% of their time to look at critical information before making life choices (religion, philosophy, love), they would have a lot less problems to deal with later on in life.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
It is going take awhile to assimilate this info but learning Critical Thinking and Logical Analysis skills will go a long way to help me understand how the cult deceives and manipulates...

Thanks Alanzo!

All right, Federalli Jones!!!

I picture you in the wide brown land. In a hat.

Smiling.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Good post and a very important one.

Most important is to be self aware and be willing to correct your own confirmation biases. People tend to reinforce their beliefs rather than to be critical of them.

If people would spend 50% of their time to look at critical information before making life choices (religion, philosophy, love), they would have a lot less problems to deal with later on in life.

Yeah. Confirmation biases.

Those are the real SPs of Scientology.

justaguy

Patron Meritorious
You guys are hurting my brain.
I'm still struggling through The Idiot's Guide to Clear Thinking by Dr. LoCicero

What I do is go through all of this stuff one at a time, maybe once a day or once a week. Then when I get to the end of the list, I start over because I've already forgotten the first one. That way, I always have a good subset of the thinking skills I should.:yes:

On another note, I highly approve of both this thread and its ressurection. There are less hard introductions to the topic, but this'd be a good one to come back to. When I first learned about some of the social biases, especially, it blew my mind. There's some very disturbing experimental results out there that you'd probably come across if you read all the links.

HolyCow

Patron with Honors
Thank goodness there were examples in those! Heady stuff, but thanks.

Hey, we could start a religion called "Tautology" and maybe recoup at least some of the finances.

I jest because I have taken so long in learning how to Really think and know. I started out sooo naive that I thought the world was exactly like Leave It To Beaver and Father Know's Best. (yes, I date myself) But you are spot on about the whole issue of critical thinking/analysis. A good antidote to brainwashing and unbrainwashing.

Perhaps the internet has changed that all. Non-critical thinking may cost you a bundle in tech support or needing a new puter these days! The penalties are immediate. Then again I am a paradox of aesthetic Irish scientific leanings and still silently talk to the flowers growing in my garden, which I will deny. I'll put it up there with courses on real-world finances for kids today.

Definitions and concepts in plain english would be helpful, though, just sayin'. :eyeroll:

Good twin

Floater
Thank goodness there were examples in those! Heady stuff, but thanks.

Hey, we could start a religion called "Tautology" and maybe recoup at least some of the finances.

I jest because I have taken so long in learning how to Really think and know. I started out sooo naive that I thought the world was exactly like Leave It To Beaver and Father Know's Best. (yes, I date myself) But you are spot on about the whole issue of critical thinking/analysis. A good antidote to brainwashing and unbrainwashing.

Perhaps the internet has changed that all. Non-critical thinking may cost you a bundle in tech support or needing a new puter these days! The penalties are immediate. Then again I am a paradox of aesthetic Irish scientific leanings and still silently talk to the flowers growing in my garden, which I will deny. I'll put it up there with courses on real-world finances for kids today.

Definitions and concepts in plain english would be helpful, though, just sayin'. :eyeroll:

I was hopin' for a life like Ozzie and Harriet, but got Ozzie and Sharon instead. :coolwink:

HolyCow

Patron with Honors
I was hopin' for a life like Ozzie and Harriet, but got Ozzie and Sharon instead. :coolwink:

OMG! You just laid my life out in in one sentence. How much do I owe you!? Books/Courses?!

Thank you for the best laugh I've had in years!
:dance3: