ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Debbie Cook's hearing today, Friday, March 9th..

Discussion in 'Debbie Cook' started by Smurf, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Smurf

Smurf Gold Meritorious SP

How Much Evidence Will The Church Of Scientology Be Forced To Turn Over?

Today's hearing on a lawsuit, brought by the church of Scientology, was less fireworks and more legal building blocks. This was not the "Law and Order" of the last time the two parties went before a judge and allegations of abuse were lobbed about.

The judge delayed a March 23rd court date for 45 days. The attorneys for the church had filed a motion for summary judgement. Basically, they wanted the judge to rule quickly on claims former leader Debbie Cook and her husband violated a non-disclosure agreement by sending off an email, criticizing her former bosses.

Cook's attorney argued that the church wasn't turning over evidence and this will give the parties time to work out. Maybe.

The judge also told the church's attorneys that, when it comes to discovery (read: evidence Cook is demanding), they should play nice. Cook's attorney, Ray Jeffery is asking for church leaders to testify about how his clients were viewed during their time at the church and after they had left.

Here's where it gets tricky.

At today's hearing, the church's attorneys seemed to mention that some of the discovery (read: evidence) that Cook was asking for was privileged information because they are a religious institution. The last time I ran across this argument was when I was covering the State of Texas's case against the Fundamentalist Sect of the Church of Latter Day Saints (FLDS).

Texas raided their compound after claims of abuse. A lot has been written about this. During the subsequent trials, the church claimed the Department of Public Safety and State Prosecutors could not admit church records into trial because... well... they are a church.

In that case, ultimately, the records were allowed. It will be interesting to see how much the church will be able to legally withhold because that information is a "church record."

Jeffery is asking for videotapes. He told me after the hearing that the church property where his client was staying when she signed the non-disclosure was totally wired. That's reasonable. What high profile places doesn't have security cameras? He thinks it will go towards the harassment and intimidation. We don't know because, so far, the church has not turned over the tape.

Wayne Baungardner told me after the hearing that their case is a test case.

"If we win this case, they will be in a very bad position. Pretty everyone who signs has been under the same duress that we've been under. This will be a test case that will determine the degree of transparency of the church of Scientology."

Jeffery added it will also determine if people will come forward. "People are afraid," he said.

As for the $100k that the Cook's took? "I worked there for 29 years. We averaged less than $10k a year (salary). At my time of head of flag, I was responsible for $1.7 billion in revenue."

Baumgardner said they didn't want the money.

"I left check on table and left. I went out. They stopped us at the gate. They wouldn't let us leave."

But will that be on the video they want the church to turn over?

http://radio.woai.com/pages/michaelboard.html?article=9878106

2. Smurf

Smurf Gold Meritorious SP

Mike Board interviews Debbie's attorney after today's hearing.. Ray talks about the cult's violating the court rules of procedure by refusing to turn over evidence.

Mike also tried to interview the cult's attorney, George Spencer, but he declined to comment. OSA's propanda tool, Louanne, is commenting.

http://radio.woai.com/player/?mid=21893554

3. Petey C

Petey C Silver Meritorious Patron

Thanks Smurf -- good reporting! I'm keen to see the progress of this "church records" line of defence. Essentially they can argue that everything is a church record, but the normal bystander would not agree this is a reasonable argument. Perhaps secrets of the confessional could/should/would be kept confidential, but this so-called church has no remorse in revealing the secrets of their parishioners (or at any rate, many of their parishioners believe they could be threatened in this way).

It is particularly interesting to me to see the extent to which this "church" seeks to protect itself (collect evidence?) through videotaping, even of confidential counselling sessions. Surely it is the only "church" to do so.

4. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

Village Voice reports: http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/03/scientology_tol.php

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  5. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

Again from the comments on Village Voice.

6. Dilettante

Dilettante Patron Meritorious

7. Rene Descartes

Rene Descartes Gold Meritorious Patron

8 Goons and a man in a trench coat.

I am beginning to fear for the lives of the innocent.

Someone convince me please that my fear is unwarranted.

Rd00

8. anonomog

anonomog Gold Meritorious Patron

I'm afraid you might be right Rene.
    Satellites have picked up flotillas of paddle boats leaving every major port on the PLANET. Initial courses indicate a convergence in Texas.

9. Div6

Div6 Crusader

Doesn't DM have an LRH Birthday Event to EmCee in a few days?
    I wonder how that will go down given this pressing PTP?
    How will he deliver the event while he micromanages his battery of legal whores?

Recent pictures show him bloated and swelling....could the edema be from his drinking issues? Maybe he should try something stronger.......

10. elwood

elwood Patron with Honors

"There was one fellow in a trench coat, none of us knew who he was. Someone asked him his name, and he said they didn't need to know his name," Jeffrey says.

Spooky!

It's all part of the intimidation process. Too bad no one got a photo of him.

11. Panda Termint

Panda Termint Cabal Of One

Oh, I'm sure someone probably got a photo or two. Stay tuned.

12. Gadfly

Gadfly Crusader

How will it go down?

"We are expanding at unprecented levels and rates, never before seen on planet Earth". DM's assistants walk onto the stage with many FAKE graphs showing all stats going STRAIGHT UP!

(mindless crowd of lemmings stand and cheer for 10 straight minutes)

"It is ONLY because we are making such headway into this degraded society that the SPs are getting so loud and vocal. They ONLY make this much noise when we are WINNING"!

(mindless crowd of lemmings again stand and cheer for 10 straight minutes)

"This is a critical point in Scientology's history, and we need every dedicated Scientologist to CHIP IN NOW to fight this FINAL critical battle with the DBs and SPs of Earth. The regges are standing at the (locked) doors".

(mindless crowd of lemmings again stand and cheer, but now for 20 straight minutes)

Such is the never-ending behavior of the exceptionally deluded. :duh:

13. Jquepublic

Jquepublic Silver Meritorious Patron

God, it's true. That's exactly how they're playing it internally. Nobody seems to stop and think that these "new" orgs are not expansion as the same staff from the "old" orgs are moving in and the courserooms are still empty, the staff still struggle to survive and those public who still answer the phone for the reg are bound to be pushed, cajoled, blackmailed and bullied to pay pay PAY.

I'm just hoping that because it's the former Captain FSO and because of her email and the press coverage, people in at least have some DOUBT about the BS they're being spoonfed. FFS people, please if you want to apply a Hubbard policy, try LOOK DON'T LISTEN!!

14. Lermanet_com

Lermanet_com Gold Meritorious Patron

Reminds me of this guy: William Drescher DM's Lawyer. I asked him who he was on the street back while picketing Flag FH in Clearwater in 1996.. his reply then was

"You're worst nightmare"

15. namaste

namaste Silver Meritorious Patron

The thing is: no one is afraid of a man in a trench coat anymore. People just laugh at that shit now.
    They (scios) just can't seem to come up to present time.

16. Auditor's Toad

Auditor's Toad Clear as Mud

Davie boy must be loving the clips he is getting from ESMB posts.