What's new

Delphian School Oregon: A unique glimpse into this secretive Scientology school

Student of Trinity

Silver Meritorious Patron
I'm prepared to take this as solid evidence in favor of Delphian education. Not that it's important to anyone else what I take or not — it's just my own opinion I'm forming, which is no better than anyone else's. I'm not any court-appointed judge of schools. I just mean that it's of interest to me.

But if they're kind enough to give answers just to satisfy my curiosity, what I'd like to know from Megalomaniac or Gus is, What are your standards for a high school education? If you say the Oregon Delphi is not a bad school, what is it that you think it accomplishes? Were you as well prepared for college as your college peers seemed to be? Were you as well prepared as you could have been, or should have been?

What there is to learn from higher education is itself one of the things you have to learn. If you don't know what you're missing, you could be missing a lot. And the people that talk down Delphi make it sound as though its graduates wouldn't know what they're missing. Could this be true, or is it not an issue?

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
I'd even look at those over Delphi Oregon, frankly. My main point is that Delphi Oregon is not a bad school.

Gus

HI Gus,

I am just interested - how much does it cost to go to Delphi and how does that compare to other private schools and how does it compare in terms of graduates moving on to higher education?

Veda

Sponsor
Delphian School was started by Martin Samuals. Originally, I think, it was part of the Delphian Foundation or some such. Alan Larson became the headmaster and remained headmaster after the RTC marched in and - as part of Hubbard's takeover and looting of the Missions and Mission related activities - "put ethics in" at Delphi.

Unlike most of the Delphian School staff, who obsequiously complied with the RTC, Samuels objected and was declared an SP. This was in 1982.

From an interview done in 1986 http://forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=487819&postcount=63

For a fairly recent look at Alan Larson, see 10:03 -10:10 of this - the "blow your brains out" Scientology Orientation video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgRoEPMmmvo&feature=related

secretiveoldfag

To summarise Steve Keller's 1997 article posted to a.r.s.
http://home.snafu.de/tilman/mystory/delphi_academy.html

Is Delphi Academy accredited? Yes, but only by a Scientology organization [Applied Scholastics International]. Accreditation of a school devoted to Hubbard’s teaching methods by an organization that exists to promote those methods is not an accomplishment of great merit.

Until it got caught, it was misrepresenting not only its accreditation by specific agencies, but also the very business of one of those agencies.

All private schools in California are required to file an affidavit annually with the California Department of Education. Examination of Delphi’s affidavits for 1992 through 1996 reveals, among other things, that, in the 5 years preceeding the Fall of 1996, from an average total enrollment of 246, the school graduated a grand total of eight students.

Only two out of more than 35 colleges and universities listed by Delphi publicity had accepted a Delphi graduate.

One must conclude that the main purpose of the Delphi and other CoS schools is not to educate children but to turn out cannon-fodder for the cult. This does not need a college education; in fact the SO probably prefers its recruits without it.

Things have probably changed a bit since 1997. Like other CoS flytraps for teenagers, to attract and keep new students they need to keep parents sweet, or they will not feel they are getting value for money.

It speaks for itself that Tubbie invested time and importance in his educational tech and that Scientology runs schools which use it.

Last edited:

Megalomaniac

But if they're kind enough to give answers just to satisfy my curiosity, what I'd like to know from Megalomaniac or Gus is, What are your standards for a high school education? ...

Not ignoring you. These are tough questions to answer thoroughly.

I'm sort of busy just now... :run:

Mac

Megalomaniac

Honest, I'm busy. In the basement, writing the alphabet backwards.

Like we did on Key To Life. :confused2:

I'll answer your questions next week. :unsure:

Attachments

• 2011_03_04_2114_wood_letter_brick_forms__scaled.JPG
    2011_03_04_2114_wood_letter_brick_forms__scaled.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 2011_03_04_mac_letter_s_t__scaled.jpg
    2011_03_04_mac_letter_s_t__scaled.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 62
HI Gus,

I am just interested - how much does it cost to go to Delphi and how does that compare to other private schools and how does it compare in terms of graduates moving on to higher education?

http://www.boardingschoolreview.com/school_ov/school_id/374

Edit: I cannot find out who owns that website. I'm not saying scientologists own it, just that it looks like they may not "review" anything but just ask schools to send in whatever they want and have it posted.

Last edited:

Gus

Patron with Honors
HI Gus,

The day student rate of about $23K/school year is comparable to private day schools in Los Angeles. The full boarding rate at about $40K is probably comparable to elite boarding schools elsewhere.

Way, way back (late 70s and early 80s) the tuition, room, and board were less than other schools. They had a major increase around 1979/80, and have been comparable to other schools for years now.

As for the percentage of graduates moving on to higher ed, I'm not sure. It's also going to be a bit different, since Delphi is a fairly small school, so smaller sampling size if you're looking at percentages. A graduating class of ten kids would be considered a pretty good year, I imagine.

But they do encourage the kids to attend college, and have prep classes, SAT prep, help with selecting and applying to colleges, and such. Again, this is Delphi Sheridan - I don't know how the other campuses address college prep.

I'd guess (and I'm only guessing) that at least a few kids from each class go on to college, given the emphasis on it.

Gus

Gus

Patron with Honors
Delphian School was started by Martin Samuals. Originally, I think, it was part of the Delphian Foundation or some such. Alan Larson became the headmaster and remained headmaster after the RTC marched in and - as part of Hubbard's takeover and looting of the Missions and Mission related activities - "put ethics in" at Delphi.

Unlike most of the Delphian School staff, who obsequiously complied with the RTC, Samuels objected and was declared an SP. This was in 1982.

I believe Martin and Alan were the ones who started the Delphian Foundation, and founded the school along with a small group of others. Originally, it was to be a college. But they felt that the prevailing standards for High School students were low, and decided to start at the High School level instead.

The original curriculum was written by that early group, which included Ralph Temps, Bryce Christman, Dave Hendry, Healy Burnham, Jay Nunley (PhD), and Alan Larson (PhD).

All were pretty impressive individuals.

I think only Dr. Larson is still involved with the school, and I think he's pretty much retired and not doing any day-to-day work with it.

Martin Samuels was "disappeared" after the Mission Holder's Fiasco. He owned several missions, including the very large and active Mission of Davis (COSMOD). There were usually a few COSMOD staff around Delphi at the time, but not involved with the school or students.

By "disappeared" I mean he was just gone one day - no word to the students. You had to ask to find out - I don't know how they explained it to the non-Scientologist students. Prior to that, he was visible and accessible on campus when he was in town, and was very enjoyable to talk to.

After the Fiasco, Delphi had to separate from COSMOD, and the Scientology courseroom that was in the building had to be relocated to Sheridan (the rules said that missions had to be available to the public, and the "Sheridan Mission" was on the 2nd floor of the Delphi building and available only to Delphi staff).

I wonder what happened to the Mission of Sheridan. I recall that it was just a small storefront in town, but I don't think it's there anymore. Maybe the staff and faculty go into Portland now.

Gus

Gus

Patron with Honors
...But if they're kind enough to give answers just to satisfy my curiosity, what I'd like to know from Megalomaniac or Gus is, What are your standards for a high school education? If you say the Oregon Delphi is not a bad school, what is it that you think it accomplishes? Were you as well prepared for college as your college peers seemed to be? Were you as well prepared as you could have been, or should have been?

I'd say having a good grasp of and being conversant in classic literature, history, art, mathematics, chemistry, physics - basically a well-rounded liberal arts education.

Delphi Sheridan seems to deliver that. But there can be a bit of a shock when it comes to college though, since you go at your own pace at Delphi. At college, you go at the pace of the class. You also do one course at a time, instead of several at once, as at college. You don't learn to plan your classes and budget your study time between several classes at Delphi. College works much differently from Delphi, and it can be tough to adjust.

Delphi does have more "seminar" type classes now, and may have addressed those problems amongst their college-bound students these days. I'd be curious to ask some recent Delphi graduates about that.

Gus

Megalomaniac

What are your standards for a high school education?
I haven't thought about this since I read the Delphi graduation requirements in the late 80's. A high school graduate should have enough information and ability to take care of himself or herself in life. Reading, writing, mathematics, history, and a number of other basics should be part of it. I'm not going to try to give a complete answer here. I think most any high school curriculum is about right, assuming the student gets the understanding and skills intended.

If you say the Oregon Delphi is not a bad school, what is it that you think it accomplishes?
I think it emphasizes getting abilities, rather than grades. The standards for passing, as I remember, were fairly strict. I did slip by on a few requirements, but it was damn few. Many students did not complete the program. The idea was that it's better to do half of it well, then to do all of it half-assed. Learn what you are learning well, then go to the next step. Learn what you are learning because you want to learn it, or don't learn it at all. These were the ideas instilled in me there. I think that's really correct and I haven't seen that in any other school, except for when it REALLY mattered to learn something right, such as skydiver training.

Were you as well prepared for college as your college peers seemed to be? Were you as well prepared as you could have been, or should have been?
Was I prepared for college? Yes and no. I went to college with the idea that I was going to gain abilities out of the classes I was doing. And that's what I did. If I had to spend more time studying something to get it, I did. And I got way behind in some classes. Partly this was from lack of discipline. At Delphi I had the support of a whole system of people to keep me on track. Towards the end of my time at Delphi, they tried to turn more and more over to me, as far as letting me sink or swim. But in reality, there was always a lot of group support. At college, I felt I was different and did not seek out the group support of the college and of my classmates. By the time I learned the benefit of studying in a group, it was too late, and I was flunking too many classes. As I got behind in some classes, I also got depressed and that led to getting further behind. And then in other classes I was doing very well. But I never bought into the idea that I should study to pass a test. This was damaging in the short term because I flunked out. But in the long run, I found myself years later in the workplace with people with advanced degrees, but they regretted their inability in basic subjects. They had studied for the test, and passed the test. But in application, they were not competent. So, what can I say? I didn't learn everything in the mountain of material I was drowning in at college, but I learned what I learned well.

Years later, when I went back to college, I took one course at a time, maybe two. This worked very well, and I never failed another course.

What there is to learn from higher education is itself one of the things you have to learn. If you don't know what you're missing, you could be missing a lot. And the people that talk down Delphi make it sound as though its graduates wouldn't know what they're missing. Could this be true, or is it not an issue?
I don't think it's an issue. Maybe it is for some. At Delphi, college was presented as a means to an end. If you didn't know what your end goal was, then what was the point of going to college? That was the idea. Now I see that going to college is not a bad way to discover what you want to do. But all throughout Delphi, we were being asked to figure out what we wanted to do, or rather to produce, and we were exposed to a variety of topics. So being at Delphi was similar to college in that way. Of course, colleges have a much wider variety of information.

Also, many times when I went back to Delphi for Alumni Weekend, I participated in Student/Alumni seminars in which we alumni talked about our post-Delphi experience, gave advice and answered questions. These were popular with the students. And at these seminars, many alumni did advise going to college.

There are some flaws in the Delphi system that I see now. They are trying to revolutionize education. And they have some innovative methods, to be sure. But, they would like to duplicate the school all over, and some things just don't translate down to the common public school. The cost, for one, which is driven up by the excellent teacher/student ratio. Delphi is well out of the reach of all but the most wealthy, or the most dedicated, in the case of Delphi staff themselves as parents. Another thing, pointed out to me by a public school teacher, is that a public school has to take ALL students. Unless a student is sent to juvenile hall, the public school system has to take him. Delphi has a very selective screening process. Problem students, drug-addicts, criminals, etc. are not allowed in. And students are kicked out of Delphi for such things as having sex and doing drugs. If I were running a private boarding school, I'd have do that, too. But my point is, that is a luxury that public schools don't have. And if you are promoting a solution to education, it has to work in the real environment, where students are poor, poorly fed, tired, and have many bad influences in the environment.