What's new

Does anyone else have eye problems?

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'll wager anyone over 40 has eye problems. Which is probably most of us here. Fairly common affliction as we age. Trying to find causes is not easy. Too many factors involved...lifestyle, diet, genetics, environment, activities.

I have nearsightedness, blurry vision, those zig zag things occasionally, and twitching once in a while too, but just the left eye. Oh well....

Sorry but you lose the wager.

I'm over 60 and have never had eye problems and never needed glasses.

I also don't take medicines, not even headache tablets or cold remedies (because I don't need them) and I haven't seen a doctor in over 20 years.

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm 64, in the last decade I have noticed the slightest flaring when looking at the stars in binoculars

I thought it was the binoculars... 2 increasingly expensive pairs later, decided nope it was me eyes...

So I went to an eye doctor and he said I had the lightest bit of astigmatism, but 9 out of ten people don't bother to correct it at this level, and the only people that even notice it are those who use binoculars or rifle optics (hunters) AT NIGHT...and HE would recommend not correcting it at all because the errors introduced by corrective astigmatic lens are sometimes more than what they are trying to correct at my level...

So I did a deep search on the net..the kind I do when I want all the answers and skim read EVERY link through a hundred pages of results, for correcting slight astigmatism...and 2 courses of this stuff relieved most of it VISOLUTEN

bromo

Patron with Honors
Mary, I am 61 and what you described in your last post is now happening to me. Sometimes the floaters are around for weeks and quite large and interfere with my sight in an aggravating way, not dangerous to driving or such, but just making me adjust my reading and such. I am scheduling an appt soon with an opthamologist only because of the flashing lights on the side to make sure there is not a retinal detachment. Getting older is ok with me, not being able to read as I love, is not. :)

Terril park

Sponsor
I've been a scientologist for 40+ years and have never heard
of eye problems connected to TRs. A google of "eye problems TRs"
and "eye problems scientology" both have only one example on
the first page. This thread.

I have done numerous TRs, maybe 8 times, including twice pro
TRs. Also daily TRs on an interneship.The only eye problems I have is age related need for reading glasses.

Looks like TRs don't cause eye problems.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
Sorry but you lose the wager.

I'm over 60 and have never had eye problems and never needed glasses.

I also don't take medicines, not even headache tablets or cold remedies (because I don't need them) and I haven't seen a doctor in over 20 years.

I guess that's not a pic of you in the hat and glasses then, eh? :biggrin:

So you win.

KissMyStats

Patron with Honors
Have worn glasses since I was 7 yrs old. Now wear bi-focals and have another pair of glasses for "computer-length" vision. After OT levels no change. Thanks Ron.

zoe222

You can blink during TRs and they helped me in other ways but I think they affected my eyes. I did all this years ago. I did a ProTRs course over 35 years ago, TRs 13 hours a day for a month plus many many many other TRs. There's degeneration and pressure issues. Major issues that started much younger than is normal. With no other rational explanation. I'm not making any generalizations saying that everyone would be affected the same way. I'm not even saying the TRs caused it, it's just speculation and data gathering. Saying that just because one person didn't have any adverse effects means that no one will have adverse effects is a generalization.

zoe222

Bromo, I think you have what's called a vitreous seperation. You need to see an eye doctor asap. I had that too a few years ago. I also have macular degeneration, pigment dispersion that blocks the eye drains and causes glaucoma, and an overall inflammation disease that blocks the tear ducts and causes dry eyes and along with joint issues, and cataracts. I'm only in my 50s.

zoe222

Mary, I am 61 and what you described in your last post is now happening to me. Sometimes the floaters are around for weeks and quite large and interfere with my sight in an aggravating way, not dangerous to driving or such, but just making me adjust my reading and such. I am scheduling an appt soon with an opthamologist only because of the flashing lights on the side to make sure there is not a retinal detachment. Getting older is ok with me, not being able to read as I love, is not. :)

See my reply further down.

I have had the visual migraines - they last about 10 min and I go partially blind - the edge is the flickering colored triangles and the center has no image. Then it goes away and I see fine. I have had floaters of various sizes, and there's one tiny black spot, that never moves, which I assume is a damaged tiny portion of my retina.

Arnie - the flaring at night is because the eye's irises are more open and so more flaws of the lens affect vision. During the day, the iris closes and you get more of a pin hole camera effect which makes it sharper. At least that's what I think - it's like using a camera - when the lens is wide open the image has more distortion, and when it's stopped down, the image is sharper, and has more depth of field.

Mimsey

Last edited:

Terril park

Sponsor
You can blink during TRs and they helped me in other ways but I think they affected my eyes. I did all this years ago. I did a ProTRs course over 35 years ago, TRs 13 hours a day for a month plus many many many other TRs. There's degeneration and pressure issues. Major issues that started much younger than is normal. With no other rational explanation. I'm not making any generalizations saying that everyone would be affected the same way. I'm not even saying the TRs caused it, it's just speculation and data gathering. Saying that just because one person didn't have any adverse effects means that no one will have adverse effects is a generalization.

I gave an example of myself doing far more TRs training than most
and having no resulting eye problems.

However more important is that for more than 4 decades in Scn
I never heard of any eye problems from TRs.

Even more important google hasn't apart from yourself. No critics
seem to have written about such effects.Plenty of commentary
about TRS being hypnotic or whatever.

Also note that people use their eyes every minute they are awake.
There is no record of that being harmful to eyes, other than known
existing eye problems. Here is a list possibly not complete.

http://arthritis.about.com/od/sjogr...12288c2e-f046-4eb1-bc65-65cacf80e921-0-ab_gsb

Note that Blinkless TRs were cancelled circa 1974. They potentially could be a problem and similar to extensive computer use where one "forgets"
to blink optimumly.

Have you asked your eye doctor if TRs could have caused your problems?

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
I do eye exercises occasionally. I find them to be refreshing and I can heartily recommend them.

Bear in mind that I am over 60 and don't even need glasses so maybe my recommendation is worth something?

Just google "eye exercises" and choose the ones that seem appropriate.

ps. My avatar is not me, it's Benny Hill!

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

The way I found out that I had vitreous detachment was via the emergency room because it appeared that I might be having retinal detachment. Retinal detachment is considered an emergency because one can go blind. I suggest you contact the opthamologist today to determine if you need to be seen immediately. I would not put this off. Better safe than sorry.

Bromo, I think you have what's called a vitreous seperation. You need to see an eye doctor asap. I had that too a few years ago.

I do agree with zoe, that from what you said, that it appears to be vitreous detachment or separation. It's not as serious a matter as retinal detachment, but it's important to get a professional opinion and appropriate treatment ASAP, regardless.

I also have macular degeneration, pigment dispersion that blocks the eye drains and causes glaucoma, and an overall inflammation disease that blocks the tear ducts and causes dry eyes and along with joint issues, and cataracts. I'm only in my 50s.

I'm sorry to hear this. At least you know what's wrong now and are hopefully getting appropriate treatment, as available. These inflammatory autoimmune type things are generally environmentally triggered and, in part, genetically based. I have several autoimmune diseases, as do many in my family, but thankfully, they are under control.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Mary

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
You might want to keep track of things you eat just prior to such episodes. I, personally, haven't driven 130 MPH ever. But I imagine it could be a thrill.:)

It's actually kinda boring, because the Autobahns are so well maintained. And at 130 mph, you will still get passed by dudes in bathtub Porches on the 'Bahn. The fastest I did there was about 150 mph, but I kept a steady speed of about 140 mph (225 kph) from Berlin to Munich. And I was passed on a regular basis.

Very pleasant drive. German drivers follow the rules, and when a faster driver comes up behind them - they get the fuck over to the right!

What a fucking concept!

michaelangelo

Gold Meritorious Patron
I remember when I first got into scio. I noticed a few scios with the staring eyes syndrome. Not natural at all.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
I once heard someone say the best day of their life was they realized they were " Out Int on all 8 dynamic " because it was also the moment they realized scientology was just a load of bullshit.

Your mileage may vary.