ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

France's supreme court reviewing Scientology's appeal

Discussion in 'France and Belgium' started by mnql1, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Purple Rain

Purple Rain Crusader

How else can you justify Scientology extorting money? Vive La France!!

2. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

[​IMG]

3. Udarnik

Udarnik Gold Meritorious Patron

Everyone is familiar with the indulgences that drove Martin Luther to start the Reformation.

But even in its heyday, even at its greatest power and lowest moral level, Catholicism did not demand the entire of even a rich man's wealth. Sure they nickel and dimed their parishioners with Peter's Pence, and scammed the rich into establishing prayers "in perpetuity", and removing their sins through Simony. But even the Popes were smart enough not to kill the cow for its milk. No one went bankrupt.

And the monks who did the work of the curch actually lived rather well, in exchange for their vows. Contast that with Sea Org pay.

It's a matter of degree.

4. OhMG

OhMG Patron Meritorious

You shouldn't hook those meters up to yourself. Doncha know?

5. Purple Rain

Purple Rain Crusader

Next Scientology will be justifying locking up Lisa McPherson because of The Inquisition. "They did it! They did it!" And seriously, this is the best argument they've got for why extortion is acceptable? Just ROFL!!

6. mnql1

mnql1 Patron Meritorious

Translation of the updated version of a French article posted on September 4, 2013 on the website of the daily newspaper Libération:
    La scientologie invoque la liberté religieuse devant la Cour de cassation

7. NoName

NoName A Girl Has No Name

As evidenced by the wtf and disagrees with your post. Google "indulgences" people. The Protestant Reformation didn't come out of a vacuum.

Fortunately, that hadn't been done by any religion for about 400-500 years, until LRH Started Scientology.

8. OhMG

OhMG Patron Meritorious

Thanks. I already posted a brief synopsis of the subject on this thread. Unfortunately, the people who keep clicking wtf, etc. are demonstrably not literate enough to read it... :no: OR, think that those historic facts are make believe...

9. Purple Rain

Purple Rain Crusader

Scientology: nearly making it to the 17th century but still missing....

Edit: "Oooooh, it's okay for us to fairgame people because what of the people who used to burn witches? What of them? Why does nobody bring up the Puritans, hmmm? Riddle us that! And what of the Egyptian priests? Look what they did! Look at them! Look everywhere else, talk about anyone else, just leave us alooooone and let us keep exorting money from people. Just shut up and go awayyyyyy!"

Edit to the edit: "And what of the Aztecy priests? They used to rip people's hearts out and stuff. We just lock them up and let them die of thirst."

10. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

11. Purple Rain

Purple Rain Crusader

Get with the 21st century, troll.

12. Rene Descartes

Rene Descartes Gold Meritorious Patron

The Catholic Church sent out Freeloader Bills to former workers in the Church?

I just heard Martin Luther shout out "96! 96! 96!"

Rd00

13. OhMG

OhMG Patron Meritorious

Naw, torture was more their style. Depending on the era of course. Did you even bother to read any of the data posted about that Church?????

14. Purple Rain

Purple Rain Crusader

[video=youtube;4K1q9Ntcr5g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K1q9Ntcr5g[/video]

15. Out-Ethics

Out-Ethics Patron Meritorious

I like the comparison to the 15th and 16 the century Catholic church. Fits right in with the modern Co$.

16. NoName

NoName A Girl Has No Name

Right... overboarding and freeloader bills are so much more humane than flaying someone alive. :biggrin:

17. degraded being

degraded being Sponsor

Not much. But I do know the history of the scientology cult, and I do know what is happening now in the scientology cult and I know that the "Church of Scientology" has to answer for itself now, in France, and it is not about lame rhetorical distraction stunts.

BTW, if their argument is that "they did it, so what's wrong with us doing it?"
    and they were to win, they could then introduce burning at the stake for those who want to leave the SO.

18. JBWriter

JBWriter Happy Sapien

Report from Jonny Jacobsen on The Underground Bunker about the hearing conducted by the French Cour de Cassation includes...

Excerpts:

Here's the link to The Underground Bunker for more information/details: http://tonyortega.org/2013/09/04/ou...-scientology-appeal-in-frances-highest-court/

The Cour de Cassation is expected to render its ruling on the above matter on October 16, 2013.

JB

19. Rene Descartes

Rene Descartes Gold Meritorious Patron

What that website covers I learned in Sociology class when we covered Religion as a Sociological Institution.

But that website missed something I learned from my Sociology professor in Sociology class.

One could even pay the church to ensure that a family tmember hat had already died and had questionable status in the afterlife, per the priests, and sitting in a purgatorial state, could be helped along out of purgatory and through the golden gates by help from family.

But then again you probably knew that and know yourself that the website you pointed out was missing this valuable piece of information.

And you also probably know that what the Catholic Church was doing then is neither here nor there and nothing to do with what the Catholic Church does today.

If the Church of Scientlogy had a strict 10% tithe rule like some of the strigent religions I posit that they would actually have more than the 55,000, 8 million on the average, that they purport to have now. Hell their staff members might actually have a paycheck and there might actually be toilet paper in the orgs.

Rd00

20. puh-leeze...

you must be terribly innocent

this sort of thing has been common in the relgion industry since time immemorial

my best pal's paternal grandmother was a very remarkable and prosperous businesswoman. sh swore all the way to her deathbed the RCC had swindled her out of some real estate in montreal by forging her signature. she went to court over it when it happened and the judge ruled in favor of the RCC. yeah. the judge was a catholic and no doubt a personal friend of many top RCC administrators - they run the church, not the priests. all the way to the vatican. the holy see raised it's postal rates once and someone went to the pope to complain and his eminence said "what do you want me to do? i'm just the pope" - and they said, "look we need the money and she's got plenty..."