ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Free Spirit mag - seeking scans

Discussion in 'Important documents' started by Veda, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Veda

Veda Sponsor

This link to a 1985 copy of the 'Free Spirit' magazine was recently posted:

http://markrathbun.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/the-free-spirit-1_new.pdf

As you can see, people were still fairly naive at that time.

The 'Free Spirit' began in 1983 or 1984. Its issues, IMO, are worthy of being scanned and preserved on the Net, particularly the early ones.

The Free Spirit continued - its format being modified over time, becoming more oriented to New Age&Human Potential and less oriented towards Scientology, and finally ceasing publishing in the early 1990s.

While there were other publications, the 'Free Spirit' was the preeminent pre-Internet voice of Independent Scientology and, later, alternatives to Scientology, for those who had experienced Scientology.

This is a request for anyone with copies of these magazines to scan them and post them here, or on the Net. As I recall, Hank Levin was the publisher, taking over for Mark Jones.

It would be a shame if they were to disappear into the mist.

2. phenomanon

phenomanon Canyon

I add my request for this as well. And a link.

Please.

I was dropped off the Free SPirit mailing list when we moved from California.

The early issues when Mark Jones published it were very informative.

There is history in those issues that would be enlightening to the newer Scn'sts. Articles lead to an understanding of the scene when the COS bubble burst.

RTC published a Newsletter mocking it which they entitled "The FLEA SPIRIT".
    Inflammatory stuff.

I would like so much to have them posted.

phenomanon

3. RogerB

RogerB Crusader

Cool . . . I have a stack of them given me by Mark when we reconnected in 1990. I have many of the series produced by Hank.

Veda, old friend, you've just given me a heap of work :melodramatic:

I'll get to it, but not tonight, nor for a couple of weeks.

R