ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Freewinds Asbestosboat's future victims?

Discussion in 'Gold Base, Freewinds, and FLAG' started by AnonKat, Nov 24, 2010.

View Users: View Users
  1. Yeah!!! And I want to know, what are they doing with all the debris that this work is generating? Are they just dumping it in the ocean? Or is it going to local landfill as trash, wherever the ship happens to be docked? Yikes! :omg:

2. This is a copy of an earlier post I made:

Asbestos exposure and Mesothelioma disease
    Serious stuff- Important information for all Ex's to know-
    From the website mesotheliomaweb.org:

Quote- "Mesothelioma Common Questions
    What is Mesothelioma? What is the difference between pleural mesothelioma and peritoneal mesothelioma? Malignant mesothelioma is a disease in which a cancerous tumor grows on the mesothelium - the sac lining the internal body cavities. The specific type of mesothelioma is named for the tissue where the cancer started. Pleural mesothelioma starts in the chest, in the pleura that surrounds the lungs (outer lining of the lungs and internal chest wall). It makes up about 70% of mesothelioma cases. Peritoneal mesothelioma starts in the lining of the abdominal cavity.

Although sometimes referred to as "asbestos lung cancer", mesothelioma is not the same as lung cancer. Lung cancers occur inside the lung itself; mesothelioma occurs in the lining of the lung. Mesothelioma is rare, striking fewer than 3000 Americans per year.

How do you get malignant mesothelioma?
    Mesothelioma is caused by asbestos exposure. Asbestos, once regarded as a miracle mineral, was popular due its lightweight but tough characteristics as well as for its heat-resistant properties. This naturally occurring mineral was used in many commercial and consumer products, from construction materials such as cement, roofing shingles and insulation, to consumer and industrial applications such as hair dryers, automobile brake pads and pipe insulation.
    Most people with malignant mesothelioma worked on jobs where they breathed asbestos. Others were exposed to asbestos in a household environment, often without knowing it.

How much exposure does it take to get the disease? What is the latency period?
    Very little exposure can result in mesothelioma. Sometimes people who worked with asbestos for as little as one or two months get mesothelioma. The "latency period" refers to the time between asbestos exposure and diagnosis of the disease. For mesothelioma, the latency period can be decades long, and people exposed in the 1940s, 50s, 60s, and 70s are now being diagnosed.

What are the symptoms of mesothelioma?
    Our mesothelioma symptoms page goes into detail about the signs of this cancer. Please note that it is important to seek professional medical advice when trying to diagnose for mesothelioma. The major symptoms include: Shortness of breath caused by expanding pleural effusion, Persistent dry cough
    Other symptoms may include:
    Fatigue
    Night sweats
    Fever
    Pain under the rib cage
    Swelling or lumps in the abdomen
    Unexpected weight loss

How do doctors treat malignant mesothelioma?
    Each patient has an individualized treatment plan which takes into account the type and stage of the cancer as well as the patient's overall health. Traditional mesothelioma treatments include surgery, chemotherapy, radiation or a combination of these. Contact us at 1-877-367-6376 if you want to talk about reviewing treatment options.

Is there any promising research or are there promising new drugs for mesothelioma?
    Scientists and doctors are engaged in research at various cancer centers all over the United States. Researchers are constantly trying to develop new and more effective drugs as well as new treatment techniques. In the past few years, there have been several major advances in the management of mesothelioma, including more accurate staging, improvements in surgical techniques and postoperative care, new chemotherapy regimens, and new radiotherapy techniques such as intensity-modulated radiation therapy. Some of this research is being conducted through clinical trials, for which you may be eligible. Please call us if you need additional information on current trials.

What should I do if I think I've been exposed to asbestos but don't have mesothelioma?
    You probably will not get this rare disease, but you should remain vigilant and get regular check-ups. Let your doctor know about your asbestos exposure.

I was exposed to asbestos when I was in the military. Could that be how I got mesothelioma?
    The armed forces used asbestos extensively in the 20th Century, and because of the long latency period only now are many veterans getting mesothelioma. People were exposed in all branches of the service, in a variety of jobs. We have worked with veterans from all over the country. We can help you find VA resources and medical assistance. Our veterans section goes into more detail or feel free to call us at 1-877-367-6376.

Where can I find information on living with mesothelioma?
    Mesothelioma Aid is a good website for resource for families dealing with mesothelioma. It includes advice and referrals to other resources for coping with cancer, caregiving, financial challenges, and support groups. Alternatively, contact us here at Mesothelioma Web for help finding resources for living with this disease.

What other resources are available for people with malignant mesothelioma?
    Should you need more information or have additional questions, please contact us and we can refer you to sources that could answer your specific question. We can be reached at 1-877-367-6376." -end quote
    __________________________________________________ ____________

Here is information on a law firm specializing in these cases (not an endorsement by me, I'm sure there are others):

quote- "The Lanier Law firm has recovered over $400 million for mesothelioma and asbestos victims Are You or a Loved One Eligible to Recover Millions of Dollars? Complete the Confidential Form (there is no obligation) or Call 1-800-913-6376 for Immediate Assistance." -end quote

They also have a free mesothelioma information packet and free dvd available by calling or on their website at: mesotheliomalawfirm.com.

I don't want to frighten anyone, just wanted to share the information folks, as knowledge is power. Maybe it will be helpful to someone someday.

3. Maybe it's time for a class action lawsuit of Freewinds' Asbestos Exposure Survivors. :angry:

4. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

5. secretiveoldfag

secretiveoldfag Silver Meritorious Patron

They are Hungarians.

The pretty photograph with the red roofs and tropical trees is a resort or tourist trap at Castries, St Lucia.

6. Auditor's Toad

Auditor's Toad Clear as Mud

The blueprints of the ship plainly show " asbestos ".. On the original conversion to being the " Freewinds" blue asbestos was discovered and ruled by Sea Org higher ups in charge of the project to be " No sit "

Why, you ask? Ah, easy, there is nothing anywhere by LRH that says anything is wrong with blue asbestos so, therefore, there IS nothing wrong with blue asbestos.

Continue with the project and catch up with the delay caused by this stupidity of thinking something is wrong when LRH Hisself never said anything was wrong with this substance. If there was something wrong with it then he would have said so....he didn't......there isn't ( Welcome to SO think!).

Blue asbestos was found in the yard in drydock. the ship was sealed. Samples were tested in the Netherlands and confirmed blue asbestos. What happened?
    Ship went back in service.

Nobody thinks there were some HUGE payoffs......do they?

7. secretiveoldfag

secretiveoldfag Silver Meritorious Patron

From statements made by senior officials in Curacao in 2008 it appears they checked air quality and found no asbestos. So they were quite happy that the problem had been dealt with. No-one really knows what happened between the sealing of the boat end April and its reappearance in time for the Maiden Voyage Anniversay event a few weeks later.

At the time someone on a newsgroup somewhere (Bonaire Chat perhaps) said the old navy trick was to let the dust settle for 2-3 days in port and then check air quality. The stuff got shooken up when at sea with the vibration, and Jason Beghe will confirm that Freewinds vibrates like hell.

No-one is going to cut a hole in the hull or start ripping off panels to look for asbestos. It has been there for 40 years now and no-one has complained about it. Boheme had refitting work done in Germany not long before she was sold in 1984 and no-one mentioned blue asbestos then.

The Captain is trained to swear that black is white, and vice versa. He doesn't believe it is important anyway. Or he wouldn't be living on board, would he?

8. There is a lot of asbestos everywhere here in old buildings constructed with supplies from the 50's on through the 80's. I was told that left intact it is not so very dangerous, it is when it is torn up and becomes fibers and particles that are airborne or on clothes, food, water, etc. that it becomes hazardous. Best solution where possible is to seal it in, not tear it out. In other words, put down new flooring over old, without ripping up the old, etc.

I am NOT an expert on this!

9. Auditor's Toad

Auditor's Toad Clear as Mud

Old buildings are not subject to the vibration of a ship underway or the constant twisting and turning of the hull not to mention the bulkheads and decks tweaking ....

It is known the blue asbestos is there. That is well documented.

The denial is going to prove to be the problem when the results start manifesting some years down the road in passengers and crew.

10. By then, won't it be to late to do anything about it, legally or medically??? :confused2:

Seems to me that anyone exposed and concerned should act in their own best interest NOW.

Where is 60 Minutes when you need them! :faceslap:

11. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

How are they supposed to do that exactly, apart from the expedient of not going there again?

If there is no medical evidence of damage, there is no proven basis for a lawsuit, as far as I know anyway. Someone is welcome to try it out on a different basis, but there is no precedent to follow, is there? (Not a rhetorical question.)

Paul

12. Always, a precedent can be SET! :thumbsup:

Clear evidence exists in medical literature and legal decisions as to exposure causing harm...lung damage, breathing and heart problems, cancer and an earlier death...tremendous loss of quality of life and shortened lifespan.

Lawyers who specialize in asbestos cases already are in practice...

Not to mention the Environmental Health and Safety laws governing it's handling and removal, storage and disposal, etc. that COS had consistently broken for YEARS! How about a little public prosecution for that???

I think a couple good class-action suits would dry dock it permanently.

But then, I'm an American and we eat, sleep and breathe lawsuits!!! :no:

Anyway, anyone who has been exposed should INSIST that COS pay for a full work-up physical for them, INSIST that COS provides safe, clean profession renovations and legal disposal of all hazardous wastes aboard their ships and on all their properties. All public activities on that ship should cease until this is accomplished.

This has been a problem at Int Base also. The authorities are informed and are watching them, so Admin is just stupid if they don't come up to present time on this issue of their legal and moral responsibility for POISONING people and the environment, especially when the land you are steward of is a WATERSHED.

How brain dead are they, anyway?

(Don't answer...I know....they're Scientologists...denial and damaging others for the COS's gain is their stock in trade)

13. OTBT

OTBT Patron Meritorious

More photos of the same group of Hungarians.

You can find a lot more photos from Nora Body's Public Gallery on Picasa

http://picasaweb.google.com/NoraBody

Here's a sample of the photos.

May 14, 2010

http://picasaweb.google.com/NoraBody/20100512Freewinds02#5482369411020776146

[​IMG]

http://picasaweb.google.com/NoraBody/20100514Freewinds03#5482368878237314066

[​IMG]

There seems to be quite few people on board the Freewinds in the dining room. May 15, 2010

http://picasaweb.google.com/NoraBody/20100514Freewinds03#5482368971393106450

[​IMG]

14. Outethicsofficer

Outethicsofficer Silver Meritorious Patron

15. Div6

Div6 Crusader

16. Cherished

Cherished Silver Meritorious Patron

It quotes someone posting on enturbulation.org. That's a hint that this may be a recycled article.

17. Outethicsofficer

I am a little wary that is not true, I will do some more research. I will see if I can fix the link.
    James

18. Outethicsofficer

Yes it seems to be there is an identical report May 2008...so back on your heads guys, sorry for any exitement you may have experienced whist reading this report, I get my kicks from where I can. :)
    James