ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

How Long Have You Been Out?

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by cinamingrl, Sep 18, 2008.

?
  1. Between 1 Day or a Month

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  2. Several Months

10 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. A Year or So

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. A Few Years (2 - 3)

9 vote(s)
    9.3%
  5. Several Years (More than 3)

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  6. 5 - 6

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  7. Between 6 Years and 10

17 vote(s)
    17.5%
  8. More Than I Can Recall, I stopped Counting

44 vote(s)
    45.4%
View Users: View Users
  1. cinamingrl

cinamingrl Patron Meritorious

I was wondering about the length of time that everyone has been out of this scientology game. How long have you been out?

2. alexm

alexm Patron with Honors

Since May this year for me.

3. gomorrhan

gomorrhan Gold Meritorious Patron

Since 1995, for me, although technically I was declared in 1991.

4. Vinaire

Vinaire Sponsor

I really left in 1983, when I was kicked out of Sea Org.

But my final goodbye has been in 2006.

5. Wisened One

Wisened One Crusader

Well, hubby and I blew around June/July of 1995.

But we really *left* around May of 2004.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  6. Iknowtoomuch

Iknowtoomuch Gold Meritorious Patron

It's been a couple months for me.

7. cinamingrl

cinamingrl Patron Meritorious

~~~

I've been out for more years than I think about, I think about 1995 I was declared after I left. So 13 years I guess.:thumbsup:

8. tookmeawhile

tookmeawhile Patron with Honors

I was waking up in March 2008 and was fully awake after I read Bea Kiddo's story and then several others. And I had been in since 1979.

9. Tim Skog

Tim Skog Silver Meritorious Patron

I blew in July 1986 and I thought I had pretty much grown away from the cult. Not enough as I learned later. In 2006 I finally decided to join the modern age and got involved with the internet. And of course one of the very first things I googled was "Scientology". I was overwhelmed by the list of references so I clicked on the Clambake site. WOW! Too bad there wasn't an internet back in '86 when I left. I might have gotten the creepiness of Scientology out of my system sooner.

Anyway, Clambake.org and ARS and Lerma.net etc. had so much good information that I was finally able to deprogram myself after 20 years. I learned that just leaving is not enough. I was no longer involved in the cult, but there was still a lot of baggage and mental crap that I was carrying around.

After I blew and before I found the Internet, I just really never talked about my time in the cult. I was out, but I had this feeling of a missed withhold. I didn't want anyone to know that I had ever been involved. The few people including family who knew that I had been in just let me be and never really broached the subject with me. No one ever asked "so why did you leave."

I just never talked about my involvement. For me it was an embarrassing part of the past that was better left in the closet. Ten years of my life that I was just going to pretend never happened.

After I got involved with the Internet that changed. I talk about Scientology now. If Scientology gets mentioned I will say "I used to be involved in that."
    If I am talking/reminiscing with a family member about some time or event in the past, I'll often have to say, "Oh yeah, back when I was in the cult."

I had spent seven years of my life in the GO (later OSA) and the last two years of those seven years as an SO member as well. I also had another three years of being a public person before my staff time.

And now I am a "wog" again and because of the internet I can better understand a part of my past that I hadn't been willing to admit ever happened. And I can actually talk about it. I no longer embarrassed to admit that I was in a cult. "Yeah I got schnookered, let me tell you about it."

Now, if I could just get my SP declare. I consider it my final cert and I never got one after I blew.

10. Mick Wenlock

Mick Wenlock Admin Emeritus (retired)

I was declared (for the second time) in Oct 1989 which is when we physically left.

I have been making my way out of the mindf**k ever since...

11. Div6

Div6 Crusader

I got some bad news for you sunshines.....

Until you can walk away from here and not look back, you are still "involved".

12. Mary

Mary Patron with Honors

One can't simply walk away and not look back when one has a son or a daughter or a brother, sister, parents, family members, dear friends still locked up or being slaves and under the delusion of the Cof$. I want them back in my life, I still love each and every one of them.

And there is still the underlying desire to find a science and technology that can provide spiritual knowledge. Still a desire to help one's family, friends and mankind to live long and prosper. (This is a typical thought pattern for an SP btw :whistling:).

13. Div6

Div6 Crusader

There you go again....rewarding the downstats.........:D :D :D

14. EP - Ethics Particle

EP - Ethics Particle Gold Meritorious Patron

On the shoulders of giants...

When the job is complete....maybe - but here is John Donne on the subject:

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

I believe most of us choose to be and remain involved. Much is at stake and the tide and current are favorable; perhaps for the first time in living memory.

(note: "involved" does NOT mean involved in scn!)

Roy, the EP's EP

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  15. Mick Wenlock

Mick Wenlock Admin Emeritus (retired)

No you are not.

16. Sorry, but this is nonsense. Involved is actively participating. Being opposed to something is not being involved. If you are against civil rights abuses, are then involved in civil rights abuses? I watch the BBC news every night. But I am hardly involved with the news items discussed. It hardly makes me involved with the Bundesbank or striking French workers.
    Claiming involved is the same as thinking about is similar to the reasoning that goes on within the Church. It doesn't wash anywhere outside the Church. It is LRH and Scientology reasoning. One atomises a word and then one can say it means or implies anything they wish.

The Anabaptist Jacques

17. Jakadak

Jakadak Patron with Honors

I'm a newbie. About a month !!! Although I wasn't fully "in" if you know what I mean. :coolwink:

18. Zinjifar

Zinjifar Silver Meritorious Sponsor

According to Ron, you are. After all, you become what you oppose. So, the citizen who stops a mugger is a mugger; the robbery victim is a robber.

As the 'Church Lady' would say; 'How Conveeeeenient!'

Zinj

19. FlunkedForLaughing

FlunkedForLaughing Patron with Honors

I started waking up in March 2008. It took 2 months to come to grips with it all. Now I don't consider myself a Scn at all.

Welcome Tim Skog. The internet is killing the cult. We are finally able to share information, and they don't like it.

FFL

20. Human Again

Human Again Silver Meritorious Patron

I left the SO in 1990.

I intended to go back until 1991.

I intended to go back on lines "one day" until about 1995.

I thought well of Scientology and defended the "tech" until around 1999, although I felt personally misused and badly treated. I was under the impression I was the exception.

I was in doubt until OSA and Snr HCO rang me this month and did their GAT push. Then I read the Gold stories, the musical chairs incident, heard Jason Bege and the Barneses.

Now I am out and looking to free myself of the negative effects and hope that hooking up with a couple of people from my era might help me.

So, we needed a 20 years button on that poll :D

Almost Human