What's new

Johannesburg Org

AmIFree

Patron
I started in the Johannesburg Org in 1968 when it was based in a very old tenement type building in Hancock Street, Joubert Park. The floors had holes in them and the place was utterly filthy. I remember my second visit there when the staff weren't allowed to leave the Org because their stats were down and they were being punished. They had to sleep on the floors, weren't allowed to wash or bathe, clean their teeth or go to the toilet without permission. They ate bread and water if they were lucky.

In 1969, the Org moved to 99 Polly Street, in Johannesburg and stayed there until approximately 1978 when they moved to Commissioner Street in Johannesburg Central. Those were the days when people could walk safely in Johannesburg in daylight hours. Nightime was a different matter but the Org was open 24/7. :omg:

I was interested to read that one Ryan Hogarth is now the "big boss" of Scientology over there. I remember when he was born! His Mother was Anne and his Father was Simon and he had a half sister at that time called Candace (Murton). I wonder if they are all still alive and Scientolling.

If there are any others who remember those days in Johannesburg, I would love to hear from you.

Last edited:

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I was interested to read that one Ryan Hogarth is now the "big boss" of Scientology over there. I remember when he was born! His Mother was Anne and his Father was Simon and he had a half sister at that time called Candace (Murton). I wonder if they are all still alive and Scientolling.

Was Candace in the SO in the early 80's?

skollie

Silver Meritorious Patron
<snip

In 1969, the Org moved to 99 Polly Street, in Johannesburg and stayed there until approximately 1978 when they moved to Commissioner Street in Johannesburg Central snip>.

Do you recall the great little Portuguese restaurant around the corner? It was a little hole in the wall place, but the food was fantastic.

Feral

Rogue male
Welcome Iamfree.

I had some friends in Johannesburg, the Corbetts.

Sadly Tracy, a C/S there disconnected from me when I sent her the link to my story (below).

I heard that is one of the only two orgs booming in the world right now. The other one was Taiwan.

ScnRebel

Patron
I started in the Johannesburg Org in 1968 when it was based in a very old tenement type building in Hancock Street, Joubert Park. The floors had holes in them and the place was utterly filthy. I remember my second visit there when the staff weren't allowed to leave the Org because their stats were down and they were being punished. They had to sleep on the floors, weren't allowed to wash or bathe, clean their teeth or go to the toilet without permission. They ate bread and water if they were lucky.

In 1969, the Org moved to 99 Polly Street, in Johannesburg and stayed there until approximately 1978 when they moved to Commissioner Street in Johannesburg Central. Those were the days when people could walk safely in Johannesburg in daylight hours. Nightime was a different matter but the Org was open 24/7. :omg:

If there are any others who remember those days in Johannesburg, I would love to hear from you.

I came in when the Org was in Commissioner Street. Candace married and became Candace Cronje. Not sure what happened to her husband, but I think he just left the SO. She was the Cont Finance Director for many years. At some point she was sent off to the RPF in LA. I never found out what for, but I assume it was for Financial Irregularities. I think it was the time was Drew Rob was the Commanding Office. He ordered some changes to the allocation form for our Org. I think he also went to the RPF after that. She was there for a few years and came back. I must admit that she was a shadow of her former self when she came back. Before going she was very extrovert and certain. She now seems a bit withdrawn and quite. I think her post right now is still the Cont Finance Director.

Simon and Anne Horgarth went off to OSA Int. I know Anne is still there, as I had a call from her about 2 years ago trying to get me to buy a set of the Psych DVD's to send out.

I'd be very interested in your stories from the 60's.

Illegal Alien

Patron with Honors
Anybody know how many South Africans are on EXSCN?

Feel free to PM me.

I was in the Sea Org in JHB in the late 80s but got rescued by the South African Defense Force thank God, to do my then compulsory Military Service.
I did my CCRD in JHB under Des Watts in the early 90s.

ScnRebel

Patron
Anybody know how many South Africans are on EXSCN?

Feel free to PM me.

I was in the Sea Org in JHB in the late 80s but got rescued by the South African Defense Force thank God, to do my then compulsory Military Service.
I did my CCRD in JHB under Des Watts in the early 90s.

Hi Illegal Alien,

I did the CCRD the same time as you. That was the big push to get all the Clears validated so that they could then be pushed off to ANZO. Was under Des Khoury. I think there were about 20 CCRD's done at the time. Des got taken out and left the Sea Org after that. The reason for this was that he supposedly did not do the step correctly. But then every person that did the CCRD was told that they were not Clear anyway later, so it did not really matter.

I am still in South Africa. I know of one or two ex-scn on this site. Would be good to know how many more there are.

AmIFree

Patron
Des Khoury! I wonder where he is now and whether he ever comes to this site. I would love to speak to him. And any others who were around at that time. :thumbsup:

ScnRebel

Patron
Des Khoury! I wonder where he is now and whether he ever comes to this site. I would love to speak to him. And any others who were around at that time. :thumbsup:

Sorry to say, but Des has, or is about to, dropped the body. He has been on his death bed now for a few months. I know that about a month ago everyone was going to say their goodbyes. At that point I still had a comm line in the area, but not anymore.

He had been suffering from emphysema for quite a long time. I think he had managed to pay his exhorbitant free loader bill, and was actually getting some auditing. There were periods that he was doing better. But with the fact that he had been a chain smoker all those years, there was really no chance of recovery.

It is amazing the amount of shit that he went through with the Org, and he stayed totally loyal through it all.

Kutta

Do any of you Sth Africans know what happened to Peter Hill. He was SHBC sup at STHill Uk when I was there 1977 to 81. Don't know if he was from Johannesburg, but was definitely from S Africa.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Do any of you Sth Africans know what happened to Peter Hill. He was SHBC sup at STHill Uk when I was there 1977 to 81. Don't know if he was from Johannesburg, but was definitely from S Africa.

I believe he's on the Freewinds. I saw a letter from him as Treas Sec a few years back.

Paul

Kutta

That's so disappointing. I hoped he would have seen the light by now. He appeared to have a few brain cells back then.

Illegal Alien

Patron with Honors
Sorry to say, but Des has, or is about to, dropped the body. He has been on his death bed now for a few months. I know that about a month ago everyone was going to say their goodbyes. At that point I still had a comm line in the area, but not anymore.

He had been suffering from emphysema for quite a long time. I think he had managed to pay his exhorbitant free loader bill, and was actually getting some auditing. There were periods that he was doing better. But with the fact that he had been a chain smoker all those years, there was really no chance of recovery.

It is amazing the amount of shit that he went through with the Org, and he stayed totally loyal through it all.

That is so sad.

Yea he was my C/S through my CCRD in JHB. Sorry to hear about his ill health I wish him all the best.

ScnRebel

Patron
Hey ScnRebel

Do you remember the guy who won the money from Operation Hunger and spent it in Scio?

Yes, I do remember. Your ex is still at ANZO as far as I know. Met her there when I was on Solo 1. Did not envy her job, doing word clearing the whole day, and she definetly did not look like she was enjoying it.

Pity about the money. I worked it out that I spent R1.5 million between my wife and I over the years.

Illegal Alien

Patron with Honors
Yea that's right.

Don't worry mate I spent about the same.
Unlucky for me as I was just getting into Scio when that money arrived.
Well easy come easy go, not that that makes me feel any better, but hey.
At least I did not have to get a second home loan and go into large debt and go through all that.

Leon

Gold Meritorious Patron
I remember Des Khouri. After they booted me out of the Org and I decided this was just fine by me they sent him down to Cape Town to recover me. Got a few sessions from him. Didn't work though. I was happy to be out and so he went back with a failed mission.

Sad to hear about his condition though. I quite liked him.