ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

John Travolta at Grand Opening of Scientology Site of Founder L. Ron Hubbard's Home

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by CommunicatorIC, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Mimsey Borogrove

Mimsey Borogrove Crusader

Re: John Travolta at Grand Opening of Scientology Site of Founder L. Ron Hubbard's Ho

It's not that hard to verify ownership - the county should have records of the owners of each property going back to the original builders. It is a matter of asking or paying for a record search of the address. But, if he was only renting - the trail gets muddy fast.

Mimsey

2. eldritch cuckoo

eldritch cuckoo brainslugged reptilian

Re: John Travolta at Grand Opening of Scientology Site of Founder L. Ron Hubbard's Ho

This number certainly has been symbolic for Hubbard the occultist and satanist. Whether he thought that it really had some influence or it just gave him a chuckle, would be hard to say though. What riddles me is that they haven't made that awkward sign a little less prominent for the new photos. I'm sure that many christs hate it when they notice it, and that's a really nice way to draw many people's attention to the Hubbard-satanism-connection, - when they see it, want to make up a conspiracy theory (see our thread on Monster Energy drinks, it happens all the time with "666"), and discover that this one 1) already exists, 2) is completely true. :hysterical: I don't know whether the sign has been like that when Hubbard lived there (lol, IF he ever did), but anyhow, does that matter? Something like "restoration true to the original" or, for that matter, "truth", does not mean ANYTHING to them. So maybe it's just the usual ignorance. *the cuckoo once more scratches its head in astonishment* :blink:

3. Kemist

Kemist Patron with Honors

I really wonder why he doesn't shave off what's left of it, like older actors often do.

He does not look too bad this way, he's made movies where he had no hair.

Men who insist on masking the fact that they have male pattern baldness always look a bit ridiculous to me. I have two uncles who have combovers, I mean, WTF ? Do they think it makes them look younger ?

But for Travolta perhaps it's a scilon thing. Did Hubbard say anything bad about baldness ?

4. strativarius

strativarius Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband

I'm not sure which is worse, men with comb-over's or men who dye their grey hair black/brown. Are they trying to impress women?

What do women find more attractive in a man? One who is obviously trying to fool you with a pathetic comb-over/dye-job, or one who says 'here I am and what you see is what you get'.

5. La La Lou Lou

La La Lou Lou Crusader

Can you imagine running your fingers through your lovers hair and the hair coming off in one big clump?

I go for honesty any time.

6. strativarius

strativarius Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband

:thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbP6zFrbFnA

7. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

Yes. I have a small amount of hair that still grows on the top of my head (despite the appearance in the gif, it still grows on the back and sides), but it just looks silly to try to do anything with it so for the past few years I've been shaving it off. Every time I go to the barber and tell him what I want ("Leave about a quarter of an inch, shave the fluff off the top") he is always careful to verify with me that I want the top cleaned off completely. It gives me the idea that some men are very particular about trying to preserve the final remnants of their . . . what? some concept of virility?

Paul

8. Leland

Leland Crusader

I've been thinning on top for years.....but its still a fair amount left....

Both my Dad and older brother went bald on top....and it never bothered them. (as far as I know).....

An Uncle that went bald wore a toupee his whole adult life.

I do watch the "hair club for men" TV ads.....LOL.

Yes...it is a sensitive area.....for some. I imagine more so, if it starts to thin at an early age.

9. Kemist

Kemist Patron with Honors

That's a bit ironic, considering that male pattern baldness is caused by a high concentration of the hormone DHT in the skin. Male pattern baldness treatments like Propecia work by inhibiting the production of DHT, more or less selectively (it varies from person to person) in the skin vs the prostate.

DHT is a derivative of testosterone that is about 10 times more powerful than testo.

So far from a lack of virility, male pattern baldness is actually a sign that a man produces plenty of male hormones.

10. eldritch cuckoo

eldritch cuckoo brainslugged reptilian

I remember some poll or scientific test, where people - of both sex I think - were shown three kinds of photos, showing the same male portraits but manipulated in the way that they either had full hair, or a bald head, or receding hairline. Then the probands had to choose how much wits, competence, authority, etc they assigned to these portraits. The portraits with the receding hairline got the lowest points, - and not the portraits with the bald heads.

Therefore, in the name of Machiavelli :biggrin: it would be a good recommendation to shave off the remains. However, I get why many men are reluctant to do so, since this "hairdo" is no personal choice then but made for strategic rather than esthetical reasons, and initially it might feel like worsening the problem.

Toupets aside, what is really the worst idea of all is to try to hide the bald spot with some kind of comb-over. Don't do that - it looks desperate and is too telling about inner priorities. :unsure:

11. Elronius of Marcabia

Elronius of Marcabia Silver Meritorious Patron

It smacks of disengenuine, phony fake unreal and clownish and immature in other words Oatee ate too much BS:coolwink:

12. Enthetan

Enthetan Master of Disaster

I've gotten all my grey hair the honest, old-fashioned way.

My kids gave it to me.

13. Elronius of Marcabia

Elronius of Marcabia Silver Meritorious Patron

I think these picture's were taken for some kind of book cover or backside thing that was popular
    in the day, I think if I read right Campbell had an interest in seeing Hubbards book published
    and of course Sara did as well, who is probably taking the picture here.

Its just one more example of Hoobards puffery, I'm surprised he does'nt have the pathches on the elbows coat
    on and holding a pipe seated on his desk.:melodramatic:

14. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

Best I know its a topic Hubbard had nothing to say about.

A definitive exposition of this area is in a move fondly referred
    to by cast and crew as " Explosion in a wig factory."

Clue: Jennifer Laurence earned her second oscar in this film.

15. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

My wife gave me mine :coolwink:

16. uncover

uncover Gold Meritorious Patron

I don´t think so. I believe he even didn´t think about any evil intentions and what the picture will be used for.
    I wouldn´t think, if there would only be this single photo. But there are several photos "across the street".

I think the Campbell photo came into existence like this:

Campbell visited Hubbard in East Ave 666 and was on the way to go. Hubbard moves out with Campbell and during the farewell-procedure he mentions to Campbell:
    Hubbard: "Sarah wants to take a picture of us."
    Campbell: "Sure, no problem."
    Hubbard: "Let´s move across the street .... there is the better light."

And bingo....

17. DoneDeal

DoneDeal Patron Meritorious

Yep. And here we are still looking at it. Bingo.

18. Little David

Little David Gold Meritorious Patron

For me the best part of this thread is the photo of Sara holding newborn Alexis with LRH. Alexis was born on 8 March 1950 with Dr. Winter in attendance. I hope some media (Tony?) will do a story about John Travolta and Kelly Preston being at the dedication on Saturday. They could also include this photo and write about the wife and child that LRH and Scientology later claimed he never had. An honorable man would never deny his own child.

From Bare-Faced Messiah:

"He arrived in Bay Head on 1 October 1949, and Sara, now several months into her pregnancy, did her best to make the young doctor welcome, despite somewhat cramped conditions. Winter discovered that Hubbard was spending much of his time testing his theories by 'running' science-fiction fans brought in by Campbell. The purpose of 'running' a patient, Hubbard explained, was to send them 'down the time-track' to uncover their 'impediments'."

"In the midst of all this accelerating activity, of writing and revising, proof-reading, 'running patients' and answering the inquiries that were beginning to arrive as a result of the advance editorials in Astounding, Hubbard became a father for the third time. On 8 March, 1950, Sara gave birth to a daughter, Alexis Valerie, in the local hospital. Winter, conveniently on hand, supervised the delivery. When she cradled the baby in her arms for the first time, Sara registered with considerable pleasure that her daughter had flaming red hair."

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf/miller/bfm09.htm

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  19. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

I don't get all this.

Surely Hubbard couldn't have afforded to either buy or rent the huge house depicted at 666, nor furnish it in the style presented by the lying rapacious cult that we know so well.

So what is this "cramped" "cottage" written of, and where was it situated? If you look at the birds-eye view of the property (from http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/666-East-Ave-Bay-Head-NJ-08742/39517872_zpid/) there is no room for a "cottage" on the lot, unless we are talking about the garage (which looks an awful lot like a garage from the front). The lot ends at the back of the garage.

[​IMG]

Maybe he did live in a real cramped cottage somewhere nearby, and simply persuaded the occupants of #666 to let him use it as a mailing address because the number tickled his fancy for obvious reasons.

Paul

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  20. Veda

Veda Sponsor

[​IMG]
    Sara, Alexis, Ron, 1950, Bay Head, New Jersey

Here's a letter from Sara Northup to Paulette Cooper, 22 years later.

This letter was found amongst the many pages of stolen documents retrieved during the FBI raids of July 1977. Note: In the letter, Sara erroneously refers to St. Hill as St. Annes Hill.

_______________________________________ ​

Mar 20, 1972

Dear Paulette,

Thank you for sending the photostat of the column concerning Ron.

I really think he is a terribly destructive man - and mad as a hatter.

Last fall a couple of men came here to my home on Maui (Hawaii). They looked like undertakers' assistants. They were very pale - wore cheap black suits, white shirts, dark ties.

They told me they were "agents", but they wouldn't tell me what, or who, they were agents for. They wouldn't show me any identification. They had a long list of personal questions to ask me and they had a "warning" to give me. They told me that people posing as reporters might try to get me to talk about Ron but I would be in trouble if I said anything at all to them.

They wanted to come in the house but I wouldn't let them. I told them I wouldn't speak with them unless they came with identification. They said they'd "check with headquarters and be back this evening". I never saw them again.

My older daughter (who is Ron's daughter) was home over the holidays. When she arrived back at college there was a man who had been waiting for her in the local inn. He had been there 3 or 4 days.

She asked him to come to her Dorm to talk with him. He told her he was Ron's agent. He had several typewritten pages of "statements" to read her. It had obviously been written by Ron.

It said to her that she was illegitimate - that I was a "street-walker" he had hired as a combination housekeeper-secretary. He said that he fired me and that I came back to his doorstep "destitute and pregnant" and that out of his great heart he had taken me in to see me "through my trouble".

He said that when Alexy was a "Toddler" she was a cute little thing so he took her and a cat, "Motor Boat", along on his wanderings "as pets" for 2 years.

He also said that during World War II I was a Nazi spy. (He used to tell people that I was a Communist spy who received orders from Moscow by telepathic control). I don't know why he had me change sides.

He said that I had been "used by those in control to discredit Mr. Hubbard." He said he forgave me but it made him very sad.

The paper was signed, "Your good friend, J. Edgar Hoover". The agent told Alexy he was an F.B.I. agent. He would not allow her to inspect it - would only read it to her. At the end he asked her if she had any questions.

She was both angry and shocked that Ron could do such a thing. She told him - "the agent" - it was self-explanatory and asked him to leave. She has had a feeling that her father was a rather romantic figure. These paranoid ravings were frightening to her. She had not realized how sick he was before this incident.

I was furious that he would try to hurt Alexy - I wrote him a long letter telling him what I thought of him for inflicting his madness on Alexy but before I sent it Alexy called and begged me to do nothing. She said, quite rightly, that he was crazy enough to do anything. She asked me to just be thankful that we had escaped contact through all these years.

I really don't know why this recent interest on his part.

Last summer Alexy was in England and dropped by St. Annes Hill - she thought perhaps she could share dinner with him. She was naturally curious about him. She didn't see him.

Maybe he thinks she's going to sue him for back child-support? Maybe he thinks she's going to demand a portion of his estate? Maybe - - - ? I just don't know. Maybe he just resents the fact that I left him.

I hope that when you win your court case, as you must, that you collect court costs and reparations.

His sickness is not just destructive, it is also contagious. I hate to think how many weak people have been harmed by this man.

The day of my divorce from Ron was like a day of rebirth for me. I feel that Alexy and I escaped from a death-in-life situation.

I am really afraid of him. He has such control over his people - and so many of them - that even from England he could do something to hurt Alexy. You have no idea the lengths to which he can go (or, maybe you do?).

These visits from his "agents" are just warnings. The two who came to see me told me as much. It is really frightening not knowing what he might do next.

I had hoped that he had forgotten us - put us out of his mind. Perhaps he thinks I will testify against him in one of the many court cases?

Forgive this rambling letter. I never tell anyone that I was married to Ron - so I have no one to tell about these weird visits. I know you are concerned about Ron so you have the recipients of my meanderings on the subject.

I'm sorry that I never met you. Please do write and tell me what happens with your case. Ron has the advantage of money - but you have rationality on your side. Surely that must be more important.

______________________________________​

Eight months later the covert operation to frame Paulette Cooper for bomb threats was initiated.