What's new

Lawrence Wright’s Scientology epic ‘Going Clear’ finally getting U.K. release

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Breaking news from Tony Ortega.

EXCLUSIVE: Lawrence Wright’s Scientology epic ‘Going Clear’ finally getting U.K. release

http://tonyortega.org/2016/03/02/ex...-epic-going-clear-finally-getting-uk-release/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

GoingClearCover.jpg

Three years after it was first published in the U.S., Lawrence Wright’s monumental book, Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief, will be published in the U.K. for the first time on March 17 by Silvertail Books.

Wright’s book grew out of a February 2011 article in The New Yorker, where he’s a staff writer, and the book was the basis for Alex Gibney’s Emmy-winning 2015 documentary, also titled Going Clear. But until now, Wright had been unable to find a publisher in England willing to put out his controversial book about the notoriously litigious church.

Humfrey Hunter’s small imprint, Silvertail, is releasing Going Clear as a paperback and ebook, and will be testing Scientology’s resolve in a country where it’s easier to sue a publisher and win.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

Gib

Crusader
Breaking news from Tony Ortega.

EXCLUSIVE: Lawrence Wright’s Scientology epic ‘Going Clear’ finally getting U.K. release

http://tonyortega.org/2016/03/02/ex...-epic-going-clear-finally-getting-uk-release/

GoingClearCover.jpg

Three years after it was first published in the U.S., Lawrence Wright’s monumental book, Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief, will be published in the U.K. for the first time on March 17 by Silvertail Books.

Wright’s book grew out of a February 2011 article in The New Yorker, where he’s a staff writer, and the book was the basis for Alex Gibney’s Emmy-winning 2015 documentary, also titled Going Clear. But until now, Wright had been unable to find a publisher in England willing to put out his controversial book about the notoriously litigious church.

Humfrey Hunter’s small imprint, Silvertail, is releasing Going Clear as a paperback and ebook, and will be testing Scientology’s resolve in a country where it’s easier to sue a publisher and win.

Luv it.

It's kind of funny, ironic.

Hubbard said books make booms, in the marketing series so as to get staff members to sell books written by el ron hubbard.

And here we have books written by exmembers and documentary people who do "due diligence".

Can't wait for DM's daddy book and Jesse Prince, more books, makes booms out of scientology.

Can't thank some of you peeps who have written your books here on ESMB enough. :thumbsup:

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
HUGE article in today's Sunday Times - probably the UK's most popular Sunday newspaper.

The article is written by Lawrence Wright and talks about the Cruise/Miscavige connection, The Hole, abortions etc.

You need to either buy the paper or have an online subscription to read it but here is the link:

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/newsreview/features/article1677092.ece

"Tom Cruise lends scientology an air of glamour, but an explosive book by Lawrence Wright only now being published in Britain claims that behind the facade is a church ruled by violence and intimidation, with beatings, ritual humiliation and enforced abortions"

Edit: I see a new thread about this has been started here - http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...cientology-by-Lawrence-Wright-in-Sunday-Times

Last edited:

CommunicatorIC

Story behind UK publication of Scientology expose Going Clear

Story behind UK publication of Scientology expose Going Clear.

Silvertail Books: How and Why I Published Going Clear

http://www.silvertailbooks.com/2016/03/17/how-and-why-i-published-going-clear/

by admin on March 17, 2016 in News, Reviews, Uncategorized with Comments Off

By Humfrey Hunter

It’s all John Sweeney’s fault. Really, it is. He was the one who, back in 2012, when I was his agent and Silvertail Books was just an idea, told me in his typically bullish way that I should publish his book about Scientology because no matter what the church’s lawyers said, they would not sue either of us. The prospect was more than a little worrying, but Silvertail was new and I needed good books to publish. So, after even more bullishness from John, we published The Church of Fear and John was right; they didn’t sue. Fast forward three years, and now Going Clear by Lawrence Wright is being published by Silvertail in the UK and Australia. It is a fact that if I hadn’t published The Church of Fear, Going Clear wouldn’t be coming out now.

So what do I hope to achieve by publishing it now? Selling books, for a start – Silvertail Books is not a hobby, it’s a business. But there’s more than that involved here. Scientology is a fascinating organisation, one which provides news pages with a steady stream of great stories. But it has a dark side – by which I mean the side which breaks up families, treats children in a way I believe is inhumane, sees adults physically abused and reduces them to lives of poverty and so on – and these things are often mentioned in various different media. But for all sorts of reasons, this darkness has not been fully explored in book form in the UK. Going Clear will change that.

At the same time as our publication of Sweeney’s The Church of Fear was going on, another publisher was making the decision to cancel their planned publication of Going Clear. I do not know why they did this, but I would not criticise them for it; the other publisher is part of a huge international corporation, full of brilliant people who know what they’re doing and who make decisions for different reasons and in different ways to the permanent staff and shareholders of Silvertail Books, who can be counted on one hand. Actually, make that one finger – it’s just me. That means if I want to do a book, I can, lawyers permitting, of course. And in this case, they did, partly because in a 2013 Bill, which became legislation in 2014, the law here changed and introduced a defence against defamation lawsuits called ‘Publication on matter of public interest’. Essentially this means that if something is published which the publisher can show is in the public interest, or which the publisher reasonably believed was in the public interest, the law protects them. This matters to me a very great deal.

When I heard Going Clear wasn’t being published back in 2013, I wanted it immediately. I don’t think I’m obsessive about many things, but for the next couple of years I probably went a little bit that way over this book. What a prospect it was: a world-famous New York Times bestseller written by a Pulitzer Prize-winner. How could I not be excited at the prospect? What a coup that would be for Silvertail Books. On top of this, I hoped publishing the book here would do some good for the perception of the UK as a place where freedom of speech matters and is exercised. Finally, I hoped it would be a useful addition to the exposure of the church’s dark side and life in it. On this last point it might not do much because the book has been available for three years and its contents are widely known. But still, the fact it wasn’t published in the UK didn’t feel right. The church has a presence here, after all, so having it available meant something.

Then you add in Tony Ortega, author of the brilliant The Unbreakable Miss Lovely, hero to many, fountain of knowledge about the church, and someone who said Silvertail publishing Going Clear would be a good thing. When you’re sitting at a table with Tony and John ‘Trust me, they won’t sue’ Sweeney and they’re encouraging you to do something they approve of, believe me when I say you end up feeling pretty damn motivated. Finally, late last year, Lawrence Wright himself indicated he would be interested in letting Silvertail have the book. And so here we are. Today, 17 March 2016, Going Clear is being published in the UK for the first time.

John Sweeney’s book tells the story of his experiences investigating Scientology for the BBC. It’s a riot, as you’d expect, but also mildly terrifying that a journalist could be treated that way in a civilised country in the 21st century. The second Scientology book I published, Russell Miller’s Bare-Faced Messiah, revealed the true story of the life of L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology. It is a powerful, important and ridiculously entertaining book and Russell is rightly revered as its author. Then there’s The Unbreakable Miss Lovely, Tony Ortega’s riveting biography of Paulette Cooper, the journalist who was the victim of possibly the dirtiest dirty tricks the church has ever pulled after she wrote a book about Scientology in the 1970s. Three brilliant books which belong alongside the best non-fiction of recent years. But something was missing. A portrait of Scientology’s recent history which gives an insight into what’s going on now, how the church became what it is today. And that’s where Going Clear comes in. It is devastating. Like the previous three, it’s impossible to put down because of the human stories it tells. These are real people, from the top to the bottom of Scientology. Real people with familes. Children, brothers, sisters, parents, grandparents, all of whom are affected by what the church does. That’s why Going Clear needed to be published here, and that’s why I’m proud to have Silvertail’s name on its spine.

NOTE: If it wasn’t for Amazon and the distribution network they offer publishers through print and e editions, no matter how big or small the publisher is, Silvertail wouldn’t exist, and none of the books mentioned above would have been published. That’s an opinion you don’t see very often: Amazon is a friend of free speech. But it’s true. All the books mentioned above are available thanks to Amazon.

Bost_Bobby

Patron with Honors
I could not figure out how to begin a post or thread so I decided to put this here. This may be old news but I know that the documentary Going Clear was removed from YouTube. Today I found it has been put back on and for those who have not had a chance to watch it here is the YouTube link to it. Go on OSA and run to your daddys the lawyers.

.https://youtu.be/BpKheZtiRCQ

CommunicatorIC

Evening Standard Book Review of Scientology expose Going Clear

Evening Standard Book Review of Scientology expose Going Clear.

Evening Standard: Going Cear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of belief by Lawrence Wright - review

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle...elief-by-lawrence-wright-review-a3211501.html

Lifting the lid on the church that the film stars fall for. By Joshi Herrmann

JOSHI HERRMANN 2 hours ago

It is a strange feeling to pick up a newly released book in a second-hand book shop in New York, as I did last week.

Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief, by Pulitzer-winning journalist Lawrence Wright, came out in the US in 2013 but is only being published here this month, a year after the HBO documentary of the same name by Alex Gibney was released. The book was dropped by its original publisher, Transworld, presumably under legal pressure from the famously litigious church, and is now being released by Silvertail.

* * * * * BEGIN CONCLUSION * * * * *

Despite its dwindling membership (Scientology has claimed to have about eight million members, but one recent estimate puts its active congregation at more like 40,000, the capacity of Stamford Bridge), the revelations in Going Clear depict a frightening organisation, capable of imprisoning people often without keeping them imprisoned. But the book’s delayed publication must make us readers think — how much can we fear an organisation that’s this scared of us?

* * * * * END CONCLUSION * * * * *

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
The efforts by the CoS to stop all these wonderful books proves the CoS opposes the freedom of speech that they don't agree with.

Oh, I've come to see ' CoS ' as ' Church of Shit '.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yes. The scientology organization is one of fraud, and will commit any harm they think necessary to try to prevent the exposure of their con.

And oh Hi OSA, I truly hope that someday you recognize how much you are in treason to yourself individually and also towards so many others by your actions to continue to promote and protect a founder and an organization which simply failed to produce true freedom. El Con and DM and are betrayors of the truth and purveyors of a betrayal. Is that why you joined scientology? I didn't think so. Continual prevarication, does not make a pile of bullshit a beautiful fragrant rose and makes you smell bad.:yes:

Jump

Operating teatime
Yes. The scientology organization is one of fraud, and will commit any harm they think necessary to try to prevent the exposure of their con.

And oh Hi OSA, I truly hope that someday you recognize how much you are in treason to yourself individually and also towards so many others by your actions to continue to promote and protect a founder and an organization which simply failed to produce true freedom. El Con and DM and are betrayors of the truth and purveyors of a betrayal. Is that why you joined scientology? I didn't think so. Continual prevarication, does not make a pile of bullshit a beautiful fragrant rose and makes you smell bad.:yes:

Quite F'ing True

CommunicatorIC

At last – Going Clear is over here (i.e., UK)

At last – Going Clear is over here (i.e., UK).

Spectator: At last – Going Clear is over here

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/04/at-last-going-clear-is-over-here/

At last – Going Clear is over here

Lawrence Wright’s astonishing exposé of Scientology, which appeared in the States in 2013, has finally found a brave British publisher

Damian Thompson

23 April 2016

9:00 AM

At last! It has taken over two years, but a British publisher has summoned up the nerve to bring out Going Clear, an astonishing exposé of the Church of Scientology by Lawrence Wright of the New Yorker.
At last – Going Clear is over here

Wright — who won the Pulitzer Prize for The Looming Tower, his investigation of 9/11 — is the journalistic equivalent of a virtuoso musician: he can race us through the most complicated narrative because he has done unimaginable amounts of homework.

Wright conducted hundreds of interviews for Going Clear, then had a team of fact-checkers crawl over the text. Even so, none of our big publishing houses would touch it. This UK edition comes from Silvertail Books, a one-man operation run by Humfrey Hunter, a former literary agent whose tiny catalogue also includes Russell Miller’s Bare-Faced Messiah: The True Story of L. Ron Hubbard and John Sweeney’s The Church of Fear: Inside the Weird World of Scientology.

Hunter is a brave man. Our libel laws are tougher than America’s and Scientology employs relentlessly aggressive lawyers. Also, the church’s attitude towards revelations about its founder is roughly that of Muslims to cartoons of Mohammed. Russell Miller’s life was made hell when he first published his biography of Hubbard in 1987: his family was spied upon and there were ludicrous attempts to frame him for two murders.

Wright’s book is even less flattering than Miller’s. Hubbard emerges as a priapic wife-beater who as a young science-fiction writer dabbled in Aleister Crowley’s satanic rituals, probably under the influence of narcotics. He died a recluse, his health wrecked by smoking and over-eating — and, we’re told, pumped full of the anti-anxiety drug Vistaril. These claims will infuriate the Church of Scientology, whose campaigns against drugs (especially psychiatric ones) are the cornerstone of its attempts to win public acceptance.

It won’t be pleased, either, by the discussion of Hubbard’s secret cosmology, founded on his discovery that 75 million years ago the intergalactic Emperor Xenu dropped his billions of enemies into volcanoes on Earth before blowing them up with hydrogen bombs.

That said, the Church knows it has lost the battle to suppress the Xenu story, which was related in a South Park episode (not shown in the UK) also featuring John Travolta and Tom Cruise trapped in a closet. It will be more annoyed, one suspects, by incidental details of Hubbard’s life and teachings — his belief that a foetus can ‘record’ its mother’s masturbation, for example, or his alleged reaction to the suicide of his gay son (‘That little shit has done it to me again!’).

You can’t libel the dead, of course, and all the dirt on L. Ron is in the British book. But there has been ‘some editing to accommodate legal concerns that are particular to the UK’. Obviously we’re not told what has been removed, but since the two editions use the same typesetting it’s not hard to work out. One significant omission relates to the teenage years of David Miscavige, Hubbard’s successor as the head of Scientology, whose plastic smile conceals a ferocious temper.

Wright quotes a comment that Miscavige is alleged to have made about Travolta, whose loyalty to the faith has sometimes wavered: ‘The guy is a faggot. We’re going to out him.’ Surprisingly, that line makes it into the British edition. Perhaps the Church can’t be bothered to defend a celebrity whose sexuality has been questioned so often and so plausibly.

[SNIP]

Available from the Spectator Bookshop, £15.99 Tel: 08430 600033