What's new

Leah Remini supports new book about Scientology, The Unbreakable Miss Lovely

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Leah Remini supports new book about Scientology, The Unbreakable Miss Lovely.

[I believe this deserves its own thread and Google entry. If the moderators disagree, they can merge.]

Tony Ortega: Leah Remini helps us celebrate our book in Los Angeles with a gang of Scientology ‘SPs’

http://tonyortega.org/2015/05/19/le...n-los-angeles-with-a-gang-of-scientology-sps/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Leah_Remini_Tony_Ortega-e1432019216375.jpg

We’re continuing our book tour in California, but here’s an event that we didn’t publicly advertise — a gathering at the home of Spanky Taylor with many of the folks we’ve written about over the years, as well as some people we’ve only heard about and hope become our sources for new investigations.

We’ve known Spanky for a long time, well before we appeared with her in Alex Gibney’s documentary, Going Clear. And it isn’t the first time that we’ve attended a gathering at her home. About 15 years ago, she had us over to introduce us to fascinating people who would go on to become sources in our stories, such as former Scientology spy Frank Oliver.

But this time, in a gathering that was also organized by Tory Christman, the surprise visitor was actress Leah Remini, who dropped by to pick up a copy of our book, The Unbreakable Miss Lovely, and also to meet the book’s subject, Paulette Cooper.

We had a nice chat with Leah about her upcoming projects, and we hope we can make some of that public soon. Leah was also thoughtful enough to bring a cake for the celebration — hers was the one on the left…

Cakes-e1432021405608.jpg

Like other former members of the Church of Scientology, Remini was declared a “suppressive person” or “SP” by the church, meaning that all of her former Scientology friends had to cut off all ties to her.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

CommunicatorIC

2paragraphs: Leah Remini Fearless In Face of Scientology Revenge

http://2paragraphs.com/2015/05/leah-remini-fearless-in-face-of-scientology-revenge/

Tony Ortega has been writing incisively about Scientology since 1995 for the Village Voice, Raw Story and elsewhere. (Check out Ortega's excellent 2paragraphs interview from 2014.) His new book is called The Unbreakable Miss Lovely: How the Church of Scientology tried to destroy Paulette Cooper. It's a helluva tale --and a great complement to Going Clear, the Lawrence Wright book that inspired Alex Gibney's harrowing film. (Ortega appears in Gibney's movie.)

Paulette Cooper, of course, isn't the only person Scientology has tried to break. The church labels people who try to leave it "supressive person(s)" or SPs -- and activates what Ortega calls its "sophisticated revenge apparatus" against them. But that didn't stop former Scientologist Leah Remini -- who's as tough as some of the characters she plays on TV -- from coming out to support Ortega and the unbreakable Cooper at an event for Miss Lovely in Los Angeles. Remini has been admirably fearless since leaving Scientology -- and that doesn't just mean her joyful stint on Dancing With The Stars a few seasons back.

CommunicatorIC

Center for Inquiry: Give Scientologists a Chance

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/blogs/entry/give_scientologists_a_chance

This past Sunday, CFI Los Angeles and our Orange County group each hosted author Tony Ortega and Paulette Cooper to discuss Tony’s new book, The Unbreakable Miss Lovely: How the Church of Scientology tried to destroy Paulette Cooper. Monday, I was fortunate enough to attend a book launch party at the home of ex-Scientologist Spanky Taylor who, with Tony, is featured in Alex Gibney’s HBO documentary, Going Clear. Many other ex-Scientologists were also at the party.

Leah Remini, another ex-Scientologist (and former co-star of King of Queens) was there, and mentioned at one point that most Scientologists were good people. That shouldn’t have surprised me. I was sitting in the midst of a crowd of people who to a person were kind, fun-loving, decent people. Many were at one time not just Scientologists, but big hitters in the church with serious positions and responsibility.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
Leah Remini, another ex-Scientologist (and former co-star of King of Queens) was there, and mentioned at one point that most Scientologists were good people. That shouldn’t have surprised me. I was sitting in the midst of a crowd of people who to a person were kind, fun-loving, decent people. Many were at one time not just Scientologists, but big hitters in the church with serious positions and responsibility.

I spoke to 2 people who were at the party & they said they were on the patio when Leah arrived & some were not even aware of her presence in the home until after she had left. She made no attempt to introduce herself to attendees on the patio.

It sounds like she is still a bit skittish from all the media attention on her leaving the cult & still trying to come to grips with being disconnected which has been a very painful event for her.

Hypatia

Pagan
I'm sure you're right, Smurf. Another reason may be that most celebrities try to avoid being buttonholed by regular folks in general. I've been at two or three places in the course of my life where there was some A or B lister. They generally were like, don't look at me, trying to blend into the woodwork, nothing to see here, folks, move along.

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
Leah Remini supports new book about Scientology, The Unbreakable Miss Lovely.

[I believe this deserves its own thread and Google entry. If the moderators disagree, they can merge.]

Tony Ortega: Leah Remini helps us celebrate our book in Los Angeles with a gang of Scientology ‘SPs’

http://tonyortega.org/2015/05/19/le...n-los-angeles-with-a-gang-of-scientology-sps/

Leah_Remini_Tony_Ortega-e1432019216375.jpg

We’re continuing our book tour in California, but here’s an event that we didn’t publicly advertise — a gathering at the home of Spanky Taylor with many of the folks we’ve written about over the years, as well as some people we’ve only heard about and hope become our sources for new investigations.

We’ve known Spanky for a long time, well before we appeared with her in Alex Gibney’s documentary, Going Clear. And it isn’t the first time that we’ve attended a gathering at her home. About 15 years ago, she had us over to introduce us to fascinating people who would go on to become sources in our stories, such as former Scientology spy Frank Oliver.

But this time, in a gathering that was also organized by Tory Christman, the surprise visitor was actress Leah Remini, who dropped by to pick up a copy of our book, The Unbreakable Miss Lovely, and also to meet the book’s subject, Paulette Cooper.

We had a nice chat with Leah about her upcoming projects, and we hope we can make some of that public soon. Leah was also thoughtful enough to bring a cake for the celebration — hers was the one on the left…

Cakes-e1432021405608.jpg

Like other former members of the Church of Scientology, Remini was declared a “suppressive person” or “SP” by the church, meaning that all of her former Scientology friends had to cut off all ties to her.

So Leah has projects that SPs want to talk about but can't.

Hey OSA, it's going to get worse.

The biggest, toughest, brashest SP (sorry Mr. Beghe), celebrity SP who eats cake with other SPs is going to continue to piss you off.

And people are listening, including the PTS Oprah.

CommunicatorIC

Tony Ortega: Leah Remini and Paulette Cooper? Scientology can start worrying now

http://tonyortega.org/2015/05/21/leah-remini-and-paulette-cooper-scientology-can-start-worrying-now/

Leah_Remini_Paulette_Cooper-e1432193851363.jpg

We have some more scenes for you from our book tour in California. Previously, we posted a photograph of your proprietor with the lovely Leah Remini. The King of Queens actress had come by a party hosted by Spanky Taylor in order to pick up a copy of our book, The Unbreakable Miss Lovely.

Leah also posed with Paulette Cooper, the subject of our book, and her husband Paul Noble. We sure love that photograph.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Tony Ortega: Leah Remini and Paulette Cooper? Scientology can start worrying now

http://tonyortega.org/2015/05/21/leah-remini-and-paulette-cooper-scientology-can-start-worrying-now/

Leah_Remini_Paulette_Cooper-e1432193851363.jpg

We have some more scenes for you from our book tour in California. Previously, we posted a photograph of your proprietor with the lovely Leah Remini. The King of Queens actress had come by a party hosted by Spanky Taylor in order to pick up a copy of our book, The Unbreakable Miss Lovely.

Leah also posed with Paulette Cooper, the subject of our book, and her husband Paul Noble. We sure love that photograph.

What an absolutely wonderful photo that is!
How inspiring they are!

And this...
www.nydn.us/1cQ0mnb