What's new

LOOT!!

DartSmohen

Silver Meritorious Patron
In 1967 Hubbard had the Enchanter yacht up on a slipway in Jolly's boat yard in Gran Canaria.:yes:

One of the jobs being carried out was to replace the ballast on board with about 200 square lead ingots. The reason for this was that Hubbard wanted to sail up to the Med, go ashore on an island, break in to a museum and swap these ingots over for a stack sitting in the museum.:faceslap: :screwy:

According to Hubbard, the museum ingots were gold bars encased in lead.:omg: :whatever: :horse:

The Enchanter had been refloated and it was for Robin Lindsell (still a "lifer") and myself to ferry the ingots out to the yacht. That sounds simple in itself, but when you appreciate that the weight of the ingots on the deck of the small cutter we were using gave us about 2-3 inches of freeboard. We were REALLY down in the water. Thankfully the harbour was like a millpond as we stood stock-still, gingerly making our was over to the yacht.

Hubbard was standing there on the yacht's deck supervising the passing across of the ingots. Unfortunately someone dropped one overboard. Hubbard went abslutely ballistic. Screaming and cursing, he looked like a marionette being jerked by strings.

In early 1968 Hubbard went off in search of hidden treasure in the Med. He came back and gave a talk entitled "A test of whole track recall". According to one senior person on that trip, it should have been called a "A test of whole track bullshit"! Passing a llandfall, Hubbard would say things like "Do you see that rock outcrop there"? "Well, there is a spaceship buried under that".:spacecraft: :aliengreeting: :whocares:

On the Aft Deck of the Apollo he had two wooden sled boats which were to be used in running ashore on a beach, raiding a stash of ancient treasure and running off with it. Of course, the theory was grand, but perhaps he had not taken into account that with the sled boats being run up onto the sand, such a weight of loot, as he described, would simply make the sleds too heavy to get back to sea, considering they were only powered by a couple of outboard motors.

He even bought some small parcels of land on some of the islands, stating there was buried treasure there. Well, nothing was ever found. His answer was that someone had beaten him to the treasure, hundreds of years ago.

Clearly his delusions were starting to get the better of him. After this he set out to try and turn Corfu into a safe haven.He wanted to open an AO Greece there. Unfortunately for him, he managed to piss off enough people to result in the boats having to depart the islans for good. Of course, it was never his fault. It was the British Government, the CIA, Old King Cole, Do-lally Tap and anyone else you can think of who were to blame.

Tanstaafl

Crusader
The last time I was in an HGC waiting room I had to sit through a new video presentation about Mission into Time. It proved nothing and the only thing to validate Hubbard's claims was a couple of SO members saying that the scene looked very much how he described it. Whoop-te-do!

Nevertheless, other viewers of this fabulous presentation were undoubtedly impressed and I'd hear the occasional "Oooh!" or "Wow". How depressing.

What surprised me was that he used a meter to find locations. I'd assumed he'd just view the locations while exterior and look down the time track - you know, all the stuff you were supposed to be able to do after 50 hours of processing in the early 50s. :duh:

I do believe in past lives, but Hubbard's recall seems to be a little off. There's the State of Man Congress claim to killing an American war hero - the only problem is that he was only wounded it battle. Then there's the claim that we was a Roman soldier in the Jerusalem Garrison at the time of Christ. Biggus Dickus or Silius Soddus? I don't know. But it doesn't sit well with the "there was no Christ" story.

I still find that there are things I admire about the guy, but what makes me laugh is when he said it was an agreed-upon fallacy on this planet that you had to be crazy to be a genius. Hmmmmmmm......... :whistling:

PS - really enjoying your posts DS.

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
DartSmohen, your first-hand accounts of LRH are very valuable. Sometimes I think newer exes, blame Miscavige without really being aware of how Ron was the originator of the madness.

I would like to know what your thinking processes were during the time you saw LRH do these things. Did you justify it, excuse it for the greatest good of the greatest number, assume he had higher ideals than you were able to percieve, or did you just think he was psycho?

Why did you stay in the SO with him?

Some of that info might help recent exes to identify with their own feelings while they observed DMs mad "church".

Tanstaafl

Crusader
Very interesting!

I'm still getting over the fact I worshiped this guy!:duh:

Don't be too hard on yourself Sandy - you're in good company! :yes:

I think it was Marty who said something like - pour yourself a stiff drink, tell yourself you've been a bloody fool, then get on with your life! :)

DartSmohen

DartSmohen, your first-hand accounts of LRH are very valuable. Sometimes I think newer exes, blame Miscavige without really being aware of how Ron was the originator of the madness.

I would like to know what your thinking processes were during the time you saw LRH do these things. Did you justify it, excuse it for the greatest good of the greatest number, assume he had higher ideals than you were able to percieve, or did you just think he was psycho?

Why did you stay in the SO with him?

Some of that info might help recent exes to identify with their own feelings while they observed DMs mad "church".
------------------------------------------------------------------------

We were young, somewhat impressionable. It was all a great game. Some took their role VERY seriously, others, like me, were able to remain detatched a bit. :melodramatic:

A typical example was enforced evening study. Quinten, John Horwich and myself were all plugged into a reel-to-reel tape recorder listening very intently, nodding at each other, clearly very impressed with what we were listening to. the Course MAA was walking around with his clipboard and happily noted our enthusiasm, What he did not know was that we were listening to Peter Gaberial's album "Salsbury Hill".:roflmao: :thankyou: :woohoo:

Hubbard may have been a big lying crazy bastard, but he was OUR big, lying crazy bastard. :dieslaughing:

I suppose it was the fact that there were several different Ron Hubbards. One was a very caring and compassionate man, another was a gruff "Commodore", another was a big, smiling showman who everybody knew could spin a yarn, another was a twisted and vicious monster who had a mouth on him that would make a crow blush, another was the smug, smiling sadist who liked to push people as far as he could to see how far they would degrade themselves. I remember a couple of his CS team coming up to me after evening dinner (he usually dined with them), he had told them a story and they knew what he had been saying was patently untrue. They were in a bit of a quandry. After all, they could hardly tell him he had just told them a bare faced lie.:duh: :batseyelashes:

Hubbard originally gave Otto the job of designing the Class 8 course, but as I become the senior tech terminal I was asked to take the project over. I mulled it over for a few months and wrote back telling him that I was not the source of the tech and that I thought it should come from him. He wrote back thanking me for what I had put in and that he had indeed developed some new material that would be the basis for the course.

Now, one of the key items was drug handling. Hubbard had come out with a bulletin saying how he had made a major breakthrough on drugs etc. What he forgot to mention was that a month or so previous he had received a very full report from Pam Kemp in Orange County which outlined actions she and her staff had developed in rehabbing highs people were getting on drugs, plus a whole lot more.:confused2:

It was all a question of taking the flow and turning it to your advantage. When a heavy mission hit the UK I made sure I got sent off on a reg tour. I got sent to Denver, Hawaii, Boston, Toronto and other lesser places.:happydance: :happydance:

Lastly I suppose a thumbsketch of our RPF might explain our attitudes.

Hubbard personally ordered me to the RPF for involving the org in a commodity options scam that was running at the time. Certain public had got many others, including senior GO staff to invest. I simply got a few puiblic to invest so they could be regged from their profits.:omg:

Anyway, I quickly became bosun. We decided what work we were going to do The CO Estates knew better than to argue with us. If it was a nice day we went down to the lake and pulled reeds out, tidied the place up, we did see the public services were kept clean. At our living base, when the crew ran out of butter and sugar, we always had some. We ate exactly what the crew ate, none of this degraded shit about eating their leavings. The cook, Robin, always cooked an extra trqy of stuff for us. We had regular study and processing time, regular sleep. When we walked through St hill people got out of our way. We slept with our wives at the weekends and when someone graduated, we had a party.:whistling: :hattip: :dance3:

Unfortunately, one evening, the crew had been served macaroni cheese. After they had returned to work, we had steak, chips, mushrooms, the full monty. Bruce, Ivis and a few of the other execs went tits up over this, they wanted us to get an extra 3 months on the RPF. Unfortunately for them, we had purchased the food ourselves and had receipts to proove it. That, and a quiet word in a few ears about what could and would happen if any such imposition was applied quickly eased the matter.:woohoo: :party: :neener:

When we came to graduate, we had to take a petition around to all the staff to sign. Everyone signed approval, except one, so I told him that when his fall came, (ie a Com-Ev) I would ensure I was on the committee and nail his arse. Every time some poor sod got com-ev'ed, this guy was always the first witness in and he always set out to trash the interested party.

Spookily enough, within the month he was facing a com-ev. I was chairman and we declared him SP and kicked him out.

I know it all sounds rather cavalier, irresponsible and completely out-ethics, but that is the way we dealt with matters. When Judy Thierry and her "friend" Gwen North came on a management mission they told me they were going to ensure I got declared SP. I simply told them to go for it as Hubbard would not let that happen. (see my reply to Alan's thread on overts LRH committed). You will understand why.

Pierrot

Patron with Honors
A typical example was enforced evening study. Quinten, John Horwich and myself were all plugged into a reel-to-reel tape recorder listening very intently, nodding at each other, clearly very impressed with what we were listening to. the Course MAA was walking around with his clipboard and happily noted our enthusiasm, What he did not know was that we were listening to Peter Gaberial's album "Salsbury Hill".:roflmao: :thankyou: :woohoo:

Hubbard may have been a big lying crazy bastard, but he was OUR big, lying crazy bastard. :dieslaughing:

Hullo DS,

thanks for sharing, I always enjoy reading first hand accounts :thumbsup:

Now - I have trouble following with the dates and spelling. You start in 1967 with the thread, and now we're - it seems - into the 70s.

Is that Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill" from the "Car" Album, released Feb 77? Then who's Quinten? can't be Quentin then, died in 76, I suppose he wasn't listening reel to reel tapes in 77?

I loved Peter Gabriel's concerts, all with Genesis, the best shows I've seen as a teenager, seen/heard Peter later on live playing Solsburry Hill etc, Tony Levin on chapman stick and bass. I might seem to be picky, but when it comes to Genesis and prog rock, well ... :D

Last edited:

Tanstaafl

Crusader
(snip)

I loved Peter Gabriel's concerts, all with Genesis, the best shows I've seen as a teenager, seen/heard Peter later on live playing Solsburry Hill etc, Tony Levin on chapman stick and bass. I might seem to be picky, but when it comes to Genesis and prog rock, well ... :D

Excuse the diversion, but there was a bizarre rumour a few years back that one of PG's tracks said L Ron Hubbard when played backwards or some other bizarre bullshit. How does these thing get started? :confused2:

I've seen PG solo and with Genesis at the reunion concert for WOMAD. Awesome. He was carried on in a coffin by pallbearers. Nice entrance.
Fantastic gig, but it pissed me off that Hackett was only in for the encore.
Collins was excellent on drums - shame he didn't stay behind the kit. :yes:

Pierrot

Patron with Honors
Excuse the diversion, but there was a bizarre rumour a few years back that one of PG's tracks said L Ron Hubbard when played backwards or some other bizarre bullshit. How does these thing get started? :confused2:

I've seen PG solo and with Genesis at the reunion concert for WOMAD. Awesome. He was carried on in a coffin by pallbearers. Nice entrance.
Fantastic gig, but it pissed me off that Hackett was only in for the encore.
Collins was excellent on drums - shame he didn't stay behind the kit. :yes:

I dunno ... - I heard one heard about satanism rather than thetanism when playing some rock records backwards. Maybe true, I always did put records onwards, although sampling and playing backwards might be fun. Exper-imental

The first Genesis' concert in a big hall I've seen they were playing "Selling England by the pound" and the "firth of the fifth" solo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ksoDr3Ip_w played here at the end was engraved in my memory for years... so beautifull. A pure moment of magic, Gabriel changing costumes many times during a song.

Steve Hackett being my "guitar hero" for years, so subtle, although one sometimes would need headphones to really hear all his playing in the tunes. A great guy, but so discrete.

Tanstaafl

Crusader
I dunno ... - I heard one heard about satanism rather than thetanism when playing some rock records backwards. Maybe true, I always did put records onwards, although sampling and playing backwards might be fun. Exper-imental

The first Genesis' concert in a big hall I've seen they were playing "Selling England by the pound" and the "firth of the fifth" solo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ksoDr3Ip_w played here at the end was engraved in my memory for years... so beautifull. A pure moment of magic, Gabriel changing costumes many times during a song.

Steve Hackett being my "guitar hero" for years, so subtle, although one sometimes would need headphones to really hear all his playing in the tunes. A great guy, but so discrete.

You lucky sod! :) I was born ten years late. :melodramatic:
My first gig was on the Duke tour.

I've seen Hackett many times. He's very willing to chat after the show; in fact, a Scn friend stayed over at his house and Hackett said "Help yourself to beer in the fridge and play on my Les Paul if you like". Nice guy. Gorgeous wife!

He had a great talent for making great tones and weaving textures into his material. I think he suffered from being way too low in the mix in Genesis - Seconds Out being the worst case.

His muse seemed to leave him around 1980. He was a romantic, analogue artist and then out comes Cured with it's awful pop ditties and drum machines! :melodramatic:

Colleen K. Peltomaa

Very interesting!

I'm still getting over the fact I worshiped this guy!:duh:

In the early 90's I went looking for "someone" who I knew I loved very much. I knew he was a Pisces and a big being and there was a big love flow between us and I had a quick glimpse of his face from last lifetime. That was all I knew. Shortly I came into Scientology and saw one of his younger photos, and knew I had found him. While in the S.O., I also had a very loving comm with him and he played a song for me, very loving, compassionate. Go figure. Did he put a spell on me?

Colleen K. Peltomaa

You lucky sod! :) I was born ten years late. :melodramatic:
My first gig was on the Duke tour.

I've seen Hackett many times. He's very willing to chat after the show; in fact, a Scn friend stayed over at his house and Hackett said "Help yourself to beer in the fridge and play on my Les Paul if you like". Nice guy. Gorgeous wife!

He had a great talent for making great tones and weaving textures into his material. I think he suffered from being way too low in the mix in Genesis - Seconds Out being the worst case.

His muse seemed to leave him around 1980. He was a romantic, analogue artist and then out comes Cured with it's awful pop ditties and drum machines! :melodramatic:

Great guitar sound, so smooth, not raucous. But you can never make a guitar do to me what a violin can:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUO6kYLb6As

DartSmohen

Hullo DS,

thanks for sharing, I always enjoy reading first hand accounts :thumbsup:

Now - I have trouble following with the dates and spelling. You start in 1967 with the thread, and now we're - it seems - into the 70s.

Is that Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill" from the "Car" Album, released Feb 77? Then who's Quinten? can't be Quentin then, died in 76, I suppose he wasn't listening reel to reel tapes in 77?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, This was Quinten Hubbard, it was either very late 1968 or very early 1969
I always had it in mind it was a Peter Gabriel album we were listening to. It could have been Simon & Garfunkel, but the point was that we were NOT beavering away on a LRH tape, but a music one.

Quinten was a really nice kid. His real love was flying and airplanes. I suppose we all felt a bit sorry for him being Hubbard's eldest kid who did not fit the paradigm that Hubbard projected that his eldest son should have.

Tanstaafl

Crusader
Great guitar sound, so smooth, not raucous. But you can never make a guitar do to me what a violin can:

Thanks for that - nice tone.

But remember, smashing a violin into an amp is never gonna impress the groupies, er, I mean ladies. :)

You might want to check out the more legato guitar players like Holdsworth. :notworthy: :notworthy: :bowdown: :bowdown: :notworthy: :bowdown: :notworthy: :bowdown:

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Thanks for that - nice tone.

But remember, smashing a violin into an amp is never gonna impress the groupies, er, I mean ladies. :)

You might want to check out the more legato guitar players like Holdsworth. :notworthy: :notworthy: :bowdown: :bowdown: :notworthy: :bowdown: :notworthy: :bowdown:

There's always Jerry Goodman, and, I'd suggest Jean Luc Ponty, but, he's french.

Zinj

Tanstaafl

Crusader
There's always Jerry Goodman, and, I'd suggest Jean Luc Ponty, but, he's french.

Zinj

Jerry's great.

Ponty's Individual Choice has Holdsworth play on two tracks that are bloody brilliant!

Eddie Jobson occasionally picked up the violin to good effect.

Don't be too hard on the French, after all, they did give us Sophie Marceau, Catherine Destivelle and Francoise Dorleac. :biglove:

Pierrot

Patron with Honors
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, This was Quinten Hubbard, it was either very late 1968 or very early 1969
I always had it in mind it was a Peter Gabriel album we were listening to. It could have been Simon & Garfunkel, but the point was that we were NOT beavering away on a LRH tape, but a music one.

Quinten was a really nice kid. His real love was flying and airplanes. I suppose we all felt a bit sorry for him being Hubbard's eldest kid who did not fit the paradigm that Hubbard projected that his eldest son should have.

Thanks DS, yes, I got your point, just mentionned that as I couldn't plot it somehow on the track. And I know what you mean, personnally when staff I really enjoyed being ordered by the CS to go 5 hours a day (sometimes it was night...) into the sauna for some relaxation, away from post - I wished I didn't get the EP of the purif that soon ;-)

Fathers sometimes have too much of an expectation especially regarding their sons. It's surprising Hubbard fell into that as well, doesn't fit his "auditor attitude" teachings. Actually there is a line I would draw questionning any policy and "advice" from Hub where he stops acting like an auditor, and thus evaluating about how to live life. (That's personal)

Any other anecdotes? About his children and their relation to the subject of Scn?

Div6

Crusader
In 1967 Hubbard had the Enchanter yacht up on a slipway in Jolly's boat yard in Gran Canaria.:yes:

One of the jobs being carried out was to replace the ballast on board with about 200 square lead ingots. The reason for this was that Hubbard wanted to sail up to the Med, go ashore on an island, break in to a museum and swap these ingots over for a stack sitting in the museum.:faceslap: :screwy:

According to Hubbard, the museum ingots were gold bars encased in lead.:omg: :whatever: :horse:

The Enchanter had been refloated and it was for Robin Lindsell (still a "lifer") and myself to ferry the ingots out to the yacht. That sounds simple in itself, but when you appreciate that the weight of the ingots on the deck of the small cutter we were using gave us about 2-3 inches of freeboard. We were REALLY down in the water. Thankfully the harbour was like a millpond as we stood stock-still, gingerly making our was over to the yacht.

Hubbard was standing there on the yacht's deck supervising the passing across of the ingots. Unfortunately someone dropped one overboard. Hubbard went abslutely ballistic. Screaming and cursing, he looked like a marionette being jerked by strings.

In early 1968 Hubbard went off in search of hidden treasure in the Med. He came back and gave a talk entitled "A test of whole track recall". According to one senior person on that trip, it should have been called a "A test of whole track bullshit"! Passing a llandfall, Hubbard would say things like "Do you see that rock outcrop there"? "Well, there is a spaceship buried under that".:spacecraft: :aliengreeting: :whocares:

On the Aft Deck of the Apollo he had two wooden sled boats which were to be used in running ashore on a beach, raiding a stash of ancient treasure and running off with it. Of course, the theory was grand, but perhaps he had not taken into account that with the sled boats being run up onto the sand, such a weight of loot, as he described, would simply make the sleds too heavy to get back to sea, considering they were only powered by a couple of outboard motors.

He even bought some small parcels of land on some of the islands, stating there was buried treasure there. Well, nothing was ever found. His answer was that someone had beaten him to the treasure, hundreds of years ago.

Clearly his delusions were starting to get the better of him. After this he set out to try and turn Corfu into a safe haven.He wanted to open an AO Greece there. Unfortunately for him, he managed to piss off enough people to result in the boats having to depart the islans for good. Of course, it was never his fault. It was the British Government, the CIA, Old King Cole, Do-lally Tap and anyone else you can think of who were to blame.

It is well known that LRH was a RockSlammer. Gordon Bell had access to his folders at St. Hill, and was witness to them.

L8r, Otto was "beached" for his wanting to handle them.

David Mayo, in Bare Faced Messiah, most likely VOICED one of LRH's R\S'ing statements:

'It wasn't just what I discovered about his past. I didn't care where he was born or what he had done in the war, it didn't mean a thing to me. I wasn't a loyal Scientologist because he had an illustrious war record. What worried me was when I saw things he did and heard statements he made that showed his intentions were different from what they appeared to be. When I was with him messengers often arrived with suitcases full of money, wads of hundred-dollar bills. Yet he had always said and written that he had never received a penny from Scientology. He would ask to see it, the messenger would open the case and he'd gloat over it for a bit before it was put away in a safe in his bedroom. He didn't really spend much, so I guess it was getaway money. I didn't mind the idea of him having money or being rich. I thought he had done tremendous wonders and should be well paid for it. But why did have to lie about it?

'I slowly began to realize that he wasn't acting in the public good or for the benefit of mankind. It might have started out like that, but it was no longer so. One day we were talking about the price of gold, or something like that, and he said to me, very emphatically, that he was obsessed by an insatiable lust for power and money. I'll never forget it. Those were his exact words, "an insatiable lust for power and money".' (Miller: "Bare-faced Messiah", pg. 358)

So there you have it.

Pierrot

Patron with Honors

Zinj

Ponty is brilliant ! I've seen him then with Mahavishnu Orchestra, with John McLaughlin and Billy Cobham, and nearly stole the show with his solos. I Love violin playing of L.Shankar with McLaughlin's Shakti - really moving.

As to the french guys, in Jazz, there is of course Stefan Grappelli, who played so intensely with Django Reinhardt.