What's new

Marty: Church of Scientology vs St Petersburg Times: “It’s WAR!”

Zhongjianren

Patron with Honors
Church of Scientology vs St Petersburg Times: “It’s WAR!”

http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2011/10/01/david-miscavige-vs-st-petersburg-times-its-war/

David Miscavige vs St Petersburg Times: “It’s WAR!”

Posted on October 1, 2011 by martyrathbun09| 61 Comments

As a lot of you know, in June 2009 the St Petersburg Times began publishing its earth shaking Truth Rundown series:

http://www.tampabay.com/specials/2009/reports/project/

As those closely involved were aware, Miscavige – as is his wont – declared war not only on the Times, but upon the witnesses they interviewed for the series. It was evident by his setting PI’s loose on Tom Tobin and Joe Childs, the Time’s writer and editor who investigated and wrote the series. Miscavige also hired failed tabloid reporters – including one Jim “don’t call me a Scientology shill” Lynch to “investigate” the Times and publish a “white paper” criticizing their reporting. Although it was intended to prevent Tobin and Childs and the Times from winning recognition, it did not stop them from earning awards for their reporting. There was also the infamous, million dollar minimally, Freedom Magazine attack on the Times and its sources. And last but not least, the continual THREATS and PROMISES to sue. By the by, the statute of limitations is long gone, and as has become his habit, the dog barked loud with no ensuing bite in sight.

Although it was evident Miscavige had started yet another in a long line of wars to suppress truth, you’d never catch the “church” admitting that. Until now.

Shortly after the first installment of the series hit the news stands, Miscavige sent out a mission to attempt to handle the fall out from many on lines Scientologists – and off-lines ones still in good standing with the “church” – reading the St Pete Times. Mission In Charge was one Mike Sutter, a long-term RTC (Religious Technology Center) staff member. It turned out to be the longest failing mission operated in the history of the Sea Organization (church priesthood). For background, see my post RTC IS DEAD, http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2010/08/12/rtc-is-dead/

Well, thanks to the heads up work of David Lingenfelter, former Golden Era Productions Audio Technician genius, now San Antonio Texas Independent genius, we’ve got the real time arrogance and delusion of Miscavige, through the via of his missionaire Sutter, memorialized. Please see the transcript excerpt below of Mike Sutter in action.

Mike Sutter (2010):

I don’t know if you ever heard of the St Petersburg Times. It is not a regular newspaper, from our perspective, from the church’s perspective. Like it has been like since the mid 1970’s a mouthpiece to attack the church. In other words, they quite uniquely, they have been a very willing purveyor of any type of entheta, whatever you want to call it. And they have especially over the last year, you know, put out several different articles that, you know, are outrageous on their face; but nonetheless, they do it and they’re negative toward the church. Now, the good news is that they go to such lengths that their animosity is transparent. Its, you know, very clear they have a vendetta. They’re not, you know, objective at all.

The other thing that’s good news is that their articles are not picked up, other newspapers do not pick up their articles, ok?

It’s not like their a tabloid, literally a tabloid. Do they have a tabloid mentality, yes they do. And like many newspapers, they’re desperate. They are not doing well financially. I’m sure you’re familiar with the newspapers. They’re within like three years of folding right now. Just financially speaking. And maybe that’s one of the reasons why they are doing this. It’s not assisting their circulation. If that’s the reason, it is a wrong why. It shows in their stats.

But my point is, they are a mouthpiece. It’s a known negative mouthpiece.

And it’s in a narrow area. We’ve dealt with that. Like, we’ve put our own publications out in the area. And we have our own promotional campaign going. It’s not that we’re just going “poor us” or anything like that.

Believe me…their like… it’s a war!

You don’t screw around with us. And you know, you know, turn the other cheek. If you are going to do that then, good, you are going to hear from us. And that is an ongoing thing which I don’t need to go into here. It’s happening.

According to Miscavige’s agent the St Pete Times ought to be out of business by now. Let’s see who wins this latest war that Miscavige has declared, refusing to “turn the other cheek” and refusing to allow anyone to “screw around with us.” While I think the result is already evident, I have a strong feeling that it will be made crystal clear to those still in doubt over the next few weeks.

Captain Koolaid

Patron Meritorious
Breath taking news. The cult plans to take action against "entheta journalists". That's a new strategy that Hubbard never would have sanctioned. :melodramatic:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
So what is that Sutter intercepted communication? Who is it to? Was it intercepted legally? I assume it is verbal, since it is labelled as a transcript, and has a lot of "you know"s in it. It also has a lot of "their"s in it instead of "there"s.

It can't be to DM. It is a very mild communication, like he was talking to his mother or something.

I don't see that this is of much interest at all. Why did Marty make a whole blog post about it? Is he trying to scare DM with the fact that one of his Indies has intercepted at least one of Sutter's communications to someone somewhere? Is he trying to show off to his flock?

Paul

Veda

Sponsor
From the 1980 Affidavit of Tonja Burden, regarding the mid 1970s:

"At the Fort Harrison I remained LRH's personal messenger. I observed LRH control the operation of Scientology in various 'orgs' worldwide from Fort Harrison. I coded and decoded messages to and directly from Hubbard. Hubbard used approximately 15 codes at this time to conceal his operations, programs and policies, which he disseminated world wide. I personally delivered messages concerning Operation Snow White, Operation Freak out, Operation Goldmine, and other Scientology secret and illegal operations. I also filed these in Hubbard's personal filing cabinet, and later in filing cabinets in the G.O." http://www.lisamcpherson.org/burden.htm

Re. the Tanja Burden Affidavit, Marty Rathbun, on 3 November 2010, on his blog, had this to say, "This is utter crap."

Schwimmel Puckel, in a 9 February 2011 post on ESMB, had these observations:

"I quite sure that Hubbard directed this personally... But I can't prove it. But it was/is well known that even as Mary Sue and Jane Kember held those posts they did, nothing was done without Ron overlooking, approving and/or ordering it.

"I never met the man in person. I was in the Guardian's Office Europe 1979 to mid '81. Well, we had telexes clattering in from 'Ron' all the time. He was very much into anything the GO did, was my impression.. And we carefully cut the corner that said 'Ron' off of the slips before archiving. No document were to expose Ron as a leader or executive authority of anything anywhere."

The video is an excerpt from a 1980 '60 Minutes' program about, amongst other things, L. Ron Hubbard's 1975 covert 'Operation Normandy'. It also includes some background on Scientology's first attacks on the 'St. Petersburg Times' in the mid 1970s.

Does Marty Rathbun ever mention former Clearwater Mayor Gabe Cazares and Operation Normandy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF99yYCE8wI

Note: The very last part of video is a clip from another '60 Minutes' program, fifteen years later, having to do with the Scientology taking over the Cult Awareness Network.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
"According to Miscavige’s agent the St Pete Times ought to be out of business by now. Let’s see who wins this latest war that Miscavige has declared, refusing to “turn the other cheek” and refusing to allow anyone to “screw around with us.” While I think the result is already evident, I have a strong feeling that it will be made crystal clear to those still in doubt over the next few weeks"

The SP Times was voted at the #5 person Crippling Scientology by the Village Voice last week. And TonyO also made reference to a new story about to come out:

Childs and Tobin are the Mantle and Mays of Scientology reporting. They have produced devastating exposes of the church, one after the other, for many years. Another epic series, I hear, may be imminent.
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runni...ds_tom_tobin_top_25_crippling_scientology.php

:drama::drama: