ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Marty's Blog: The Gush of the Sycophants

Discussion in 'MartyWorld' started by Alanzo, Jul 24, 2010.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Alanzo

Alanzo Bardo Tulpa

Is it just me or is all that sycophantic gushing over on Marty's blog - for every single post that is written - simply an attempt to keep someone's ego propped up?

Or does it have a more sinister purpose?

At a time when real discussion of real issues should be happening in the independent world of Scientology, all that is allowed is highly controlled sycophantic gushing. You read the comments that appear on Marty's blog, and none of it is a discussion of any real issues. Each post is an expression of exalted admiration, gushing out from the sycophant in a state of enthusiastic thrall.

The only person who gets to make a point is the writer of the post. Everyone else has to clap and tell them how smart and great they are for doing what they are doing or for writing what they wrote.

What does the gushing do for the sycophant?

I'm reminded of the "Uptone Comm" of the Scientologist, where nothing but praise was ever allowed for LRH and the tech. Pretty soon you get yourself so "blown out" from all the appreciation you gush that you stop thinking of anything else.

The tech seems to be this:

1. Create a sycophant

2. Get him gushing.

3. Keep him gushing.

4. Good.

5. Now gush some more.

6. All right.

Pretty soon, he's got himself in such a state of religious fervor that he's blind to all the ill-effects happening around him.

I think that's the intention, and that's the product: Gushing sycophants who are blind to the real issues they themselves face, and are supporting you with time, energy and money because you are so awesome.

I need to get that going on my blog.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  2. Big Farmer

Big Farmer Patron with Honors

Wonderful insight. You're absolutely fabulous.

3. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

A blog is not the same as a discussion forum. On a message board like ESMB, all the posters are more or less equal. Some are more equal than others, of course, but still, on a threaded discussion board each person's say can be measured on its merits.

A blog is fundamentally different. The format itself makes it very hard to discuss anything. It is about the ideas of a kingpin, who owns the blog, and the riffraff who comment on the kingpin's posts, *if he lets them* (almost all such blogs are moderated). Sometimes the kingpin descends into the nether regions and responds in the comments section himself, but his lesser comments down below like that are easily buried.

I noticed on my own blog that worthwhile comments are virtually made nothing of merely by virtue of the format itself.

You'll remember that Marty stuck his nose in here, made two posts promoting himself, then disappeared after deciding he didn't like it here.

-----

Alanzo, you nullify the good points you make in your post by your comment about wanting more sycophants on your own blog.

Paul

4. Infinite

Infinite Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller

No one could have said it better.

5. Alanzo

Alanzo Bardo Tulpa

That's okay, Paul.

Deep down, I know you secretly love me and worship the ground I walk on.

6. Alanzo

Alanzo Bardo Tulpa

But Paul's right, again. The structure of a blog itself is authoritarian. And just as you said, important comments made in response to a blog post are hidden to too much of a degree.

A natterboard is democratic: Even though I started this thread, Paul can come in and rip my head off if he thinks I'm an idiot. Paul's post carries just as much weight as my own opening post.

That is the real value of a discussion board over a blog.

And that's why I think Marty constantly does his best to de-value the "natterboards": He does NOT want a discussion of the real issues facing the Independent Scientology community. He wants his hidden agenda to remain hidden. He wants no effective or reasoned questioning of any of the ideas or actions he promotes. He does not want individuals thinking that they have equal rights within the independent community and that their ideas are just as worthwhile as his.

That's why Marty has a blog and not a discussion board.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  7. Veda

Veda Sponsor

What are you some kind of hater? A bigot? An SP?

J. Swift says Marty's blog is the cutting edge. It where it's at mister!

8. Dulloldfart

Spot-on, Alanzo. You're not just a pretty snout.

Paul

9. It's what is called a cult, instead of being forced to listen to and read Hubbard's incoherent babbling, they now just wait for Marty to tell them what to think, I bet if feels real liberating for them. Now they finally get to admit Scientology is screwed up and have a real enemy to blame for it rather than Hubbard's imaginary enemies. And Marty is not requiring them to have sec checks yet.

10. AnonKat

AnonKat Crusader

RTC aproval

I The COB Agree with Alonzo, those people should be put in special camps with yellow markings so everybody recognizes them so they can be spat upon.[​IMG]

11. Dulloldfart

I've noticed several ESMBers posting comments over at Marty's place, but I haven't noticed any Shackers posting comments over here.

Which just goes to show that, um, well, something or other.

Paul

12. Veda

Veda Sponsor

On ESMB, Marty started two threads, and was greeted mostly with warmth and friendliness. He acknowledged none, and responded to none. Later, some FZ/Indie Scientologists described the response on these threads as examples of "bashing".

http://www.forum.exscn.net/search.php?searchid=2688272

13. Zinjifar

Zinjifar Silver Meritorious Sponsor

Well, there's some overlap any way. And, it's hard to say what an ESMBer is, since many (most?) of us have an external existence. :)

But, I think it's fair to say that we get the odd missionary from Martyland over here, out to save our nattery souls.

Zinj

14. AnonKat

AnonKat Crusader

There are about 5 to 6 people onhere who will be waiting to tar and feather them if they do.

I have taken the time to watch the reactions towards me. I sat in the feeling it gave me. Conclusion: If i were them i would not come here to have my head caved in. there is nothing for them here but bashing and degrading.

15. Do I hear gushing?

The Anabaptist Jacques

16. AnonKat

AnonKat Crusader

Do I hear a camel farting ?

17. What were you saying about bashing and degrading?

The Anabaptist Jacques

18. AnonKat

AnonKat Crusader

You began just yet smarty pants with your gushing remark

19. Alanzo

Alanzo Bardo Tulpa

You are making an important point for Marty here - thank you AnonKat.

Here's something to think about in response to Marty's idea:

The feeling you felt was your ideas being questioned by others. It doesn't necessarily always feel good - especially when people make valid arguments that show your belief to be unfounded. It starts a sometimes uncomfortable process of you yourself questioning your own stable data.

But it is extremely beneficial for a person to test out his beliefs in the long run, to examine them and have them examined - especially someone who wakes up to find themselves in the middle of a cult.

See? How did they get into a cult? They never started out to join a cult? How did they get there?

By not examining their beliefs and having them examined, and constantly testing them for soundness and logical consistency.

It's the only way to learn and grow as a human being.

I spent a lot of time on the Scientology Forum. Why? So I could be challenged by Scientologists who held different beliefs than my own. It was very good for me. I was sufficiently challenged enough, regularly enough, to spot some of my stable data I had adopted as a critic as false and unfounded. I re-habbed the spiritual purpose-line that got me into Scientology in the first place and I have continued on past Scientology as a result of it.

Remember Socrates?

"The unexamined life is not worth living."

Do you believe that, or not?

20. Zinjifar

Zinjifar Silver Meritorious Sponsor

I think that was the sound of a head caving in. They sound similar.

Zinj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.