What's new

Mexican reporter stranded in Nepal by Scientology VM group

mnql1

Patron Meritorious
Translation of a Spanish article posted on May 9, 2015 on the website of the Mexican daily newspaper Excelsior.

Por mala planeación de ONG, un mexicano está varado en Nepal

Mexican reporter stranded in Nepal because of bad planning by a Scientology NGO

by Raúl Flores Martínez
May 9, 2015

Bad planning by a Scientology non-governmental organization has left a Mexican journalist stranded for a month in Nepal's disaster area, which was hit by a powerful earthquake measuring 7.9 degrees on the Richter scale.

In a telephone interview, Mexican reporter Jorge Flores, said that the NGO had sponsored his transportation to the devastated area, along with a team of 23 members of Topos México. However, he has to stay at least a month in Kathmandu to justify the trip.

"I was told that I had to stay at least a month to justify the cost of the trip. I've been waiting three days for them to make the change, but I haven't received an answer. They're only giving me the runaround."

His words punctuated by a bad cough, he said that the food there is presently contaminated, so he hasn't eaten anything. He reiterated that the invitation he received had come from Topos México, a group sponsored by Scientology.

"After the earthquake, the Topos invited me and the NGO, Scientology, paid them. My understanding was that I could return whenever I want, but now it turns out that I have to stay at least a month to justify the expense."

To return home, Jorge Flores must come up with 90,000 dollars to pay for three flights: from Nepal to Delhi in India, from India to London, and from London to Mexico City.

"For three days, I've been trying to ask them to send me back, but I don't see when. There was an American in the same situation, but they sent him back the same day without any problem."

He concluded by saying that, because of the bad planning of his itinerary, he remains in the region without a return ticket to Mexico, since he doesn't have sufficient financial resources. He said he has tried to contact the authorities at the Mexican Secretariat of Foreign Affairs to facilitate his transportation to Mexico.

Another article (in Spanish) about this story:
Ong Scientology deja varado a periodista mexicano en Nepal, pide ayuda a SRE

On May 7, Jorge Flores posted a YouTube video that shows the devastation in Kavali, Nepal.

[video=youtube;P9qJsE_MjI0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9qJsE_MjI0[/video]

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Translation of a Spanish article posted on May 9, 2015 on the website of the Mexican daily newspaper Excelsior.

Por mala planeación de ONG, un mexicano está varado en Nepal

To return home, Jorge Flores must come up with 90,000 dollars to pay for three flights: from Nepal to Delhi in India, from India to London, and from London to Mexico City.

Wait, what???
90,000 dollars? In 2000, I flew from Bremen to Amsterdam, to Detroit to Columbus and back for 450,-€! I know prices went up since then and he flew a longer distance than I did, but really? 90,000 dollars? I thought he wanted to buy one flight and not a whole airplane?

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
Wait, what???
90,000 dollars? In 2000, I flew from Bremen to Amsterdam, to Detroit to Columbus and back for 450,-€! I know prices went up since then and he flew a longer distance than I did, but really? 90,000 dollars? I thought he wanted to buy one flight and not a whole airplane?

Yeah, something doesn't add up there. I thought they might have jacked up the prices on flights out of Nepal, but as of a few minutes ago, you could get one for about $1000.

This is NOT OK !!!!

Gold Meritorious Patron
My advice to Jorge Flores (not that it will help him now!) is:

"Never travel to another continent on behalf of Scientology without carrying a lot of THEIR cash in your pocket".

Historical examples:

People stuck in Portland, OR after the "Crusade" with no money to get home.

People stuck in Louisiana after Katrina with no money to get home.

God knows what happened to some of the fools who felt touch assists were the solution for the Tsunami!

This is NOT OK !!!!

Gold Meritorious Patron
I learned my lesson at the Bombay, India airport at 3:00am when my return ticket was not accepted.

A bit of baksheesh in the form of "excess baggage fees" got me on the plane!:biggrin:

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
The Spanish article does indeed say "90 mil dólares" i.e. 90,000 dollars, rather than pesos

OK, thanks! That leaves us with the question: "Where does that hefty price come from?" I mean it might very well cost one a few extra Grand to quickly get out of a disaster zone unharmed, but really? 90 Grand?

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
OK, thanks! That leaves us with the question: "Where does that hefty price come from?" I mean it might very well cost one a few extra Grand to quickly get out of a disaster zone unharmed, but really? 90 Grand?

I think this is just a case of mathematical incompetence and in attention to detail. Friends don't let friends major in Liberal Arts! :biggrin:

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
Well $6k is certainly more doable. Exes and anons should be able to crowdsource that kind of money, no? Anyone up for starting such a thing?

This is NOT OK !!!!

Gold Meritorious Patron
Only on the basis that he start reporting what's really happening in Scientology Mexico (if he ever gets back!)

And WTF with those Patrons Gigantisaurus from Venezuela? Couldn't he help us figure that out?

mnql1

Patron Meritorious
The stranded Mexican reporter is on his way home. Jorge Flores tweeted today that he is flying out from London Heathrow. A few hours earlier, he tweeted that Nepal was again struck by a strong earthquake, but he was in London.

https://twitter.com/floresjo22

Jorge Flores - Twitter 2015-05-12.jpg