What's new

Neo vs The Matrix (My Scientology story)

duddins

Patron Meritorious
Oh Neo, Neo, Neo!

All of the love that you put into this board, should now be pouring back at you in bucket fulls.

Your story so far is amazing.

Please keep it up....I need the happy ending. Just knowing that it is coming confirms for me that as some people walk through the most difficult challenges in life and come out with wisdom and love rather than bitterness and wrath.

Love you Neo, Love your story!

Neo

Silver Meritorious Patron
Thanks for all your replies. I appreciate the validation :)

I probably couldn't put into words just how important this board (and all its wonderful inhabitants) have been in getting me from where I was only months ago, to where I am now. It has made an enormous difference. It is such an incredible resource because it puts forth peoples point of view, and allows, as necessary, "discussion" of those points. The Co$ doesn't allow this. Those still in and lurking, or those out but still somewhat shell shocked can see for themselves that this place can help. I believe this.

Neo

Neo

Part 6

One day I heard someone talking about LSD being an out-qual for HCO. This meant I didn't actually qualify to be in HCO. I spoke to my senior about it, and was shown a data sheet explaining what LSD was and what its effects were. I was asked if I had had those specific effects, which I felt that I hadn't. It was LSD. I had always referred to it as such. I remember the experience (several) and what it did to me, but if they were telling me it wasn't actually LSD then so be it. I continued to work in HCO.

I remember being asked about drug usage when I first joined staff but hadn't really given it much thought. I had mentioned what I had used mostly, being ecstasy and marijuana. But I had tried many others too. I just didn't see why they needed to know, and clearly they hadn't explained their need to know very well to me. But I didn't feel comfortable withholding data from them. The idea of overts and withholds, and especially the missed withholds was starting to enter my universe. It was starting to colour my thinking, ever so slightly.

I received quite a bit of student auditing. I had forgotten about my earlier interest in Dianetics by this stage. I initially received Grade 0 quads. I remember doing CCH 1-4, but I was still quite a green Scientologist so they had so little effect on me. That would be vastly different when I did them as part of my Objectives. But I hadn't done the Purif at this stage. I was still learning a lot of the terminology. I hadn't done the PTS/SP course, despite the fact that I was PTS. I had received an initial C/S 1 (if I remember correctly?).

The auditing on Grade 0 was the first metered Scientology auditing I had received. It was initially confronting, as I was in the co-audit space, but I quickly got a feel for it. And it did seem to handle some things in my universe. Just what I don't know. Perhaps it was just the 'win' one gets from having your communication acknowledged, and being told you are 'f/n-ing'. I felt like I got much more from the STCC in terms of communication abilities, than I did from any Grade 0, even the quads. It wasn't a bad experience, certainly. But in the bigger picture, not life changing, either. No, the bad experience with Scientology auditing was still to come.

(to be continued)

Neo

Neo

Part 7

One of the things I didn't like about being HCO Cope Officer was that it involved also being an Ethics Officer. I despised this role. I felt like a police man. I actually saw no need, in a religion, for me to be putting other people's ethics in. Just show them the data, and let them work it out. It didn't really work that way unfortunately. The biggest shock to my system was when an OTV who was on course at the time kept being routed to ethics for being late. To me this man was OTV, therefore he was like a mini-god, LOL. I hadn't met too many OTs or Pre-OTs, and didn't really know the difference. I was operating under the false notion that he did not need my help, nor my guidance on issues of ethics. I mean, how can one be OT (or nearly OT) and be out-ethics. And we're not talking out-2D or something that makes sense (at least to me, LOL). No, this man was simply too lazy to get up ten minutes earlier to get the earlier tram into the city to be on course on time. It was all the public transport systems fault for being late each day, thus making him late.

In and of itself, this didn't faze me too much. But this man represented someone who was nearly where I wanted to be. I didn't know what OTV actually meant. I did know it was much higher than someone who had received 20 hours of Book One auditing. He was messing up my stable datum, and it upset me somewhat!

I was lined up to receive a HCO Sec Check. I think it was on this auditing action that I finally 'got' what the terms overt, withhold, and missed withhold actually really meant. Because somewhere along the line something read, and it wouldn't unread. I hated what was happening. After about a nine hour session, eventually I f/ned, but I did not look like an f/n-ing PC. I f/ned at the examiners, too. Finally I could go home. It had been a rough day. I hated it. I hated Scientology. I hated how I felt at the time. Something was very wrong with my thinking. An extreme feeling of overwhelm crept into my thoughts. I couldn't shake it. I felt like something bad had happened and there was no undoing it. I had not felt like that before. I had survived cancer, and got on with my life. I had wanted to get on with life. I didn't feel like that after this session. In fact I felt like there could be no tomorrow. It was pointless, and over. I didn't understand why I felt the way I did, but the overwhelm was suffocating. In a nutshell, I felt wrong. And I had to fix it, before others were affected by it.

I went to the supermarket on my way home. I bought two packets of paracetamol tablets. Fourty-eight in all. I went home and took all of them. I had never felt this way before, and I have never felt this way since. So I cannot fully explain what drives a man to do such a thing. But it happened. And Scientology is as much responsible for it as I am. They blamed the auditor. Dumped it all on her. She was out-tech or some such thing. I don't know about that side of things. All I know is that I trusted them to look after me, and help me get better. They failed, and then they still shifted blame. And I was in such a precarious frame of mind that I bought the whole thing. I really felt it was ALL my fault.

After having taken all of these tablets, I fell asleep. I did not expect to wake up. I didn't really care by this stage. I woke up several hours later, and threw up. Violently. Went back to sleep. Morning arrived. I woke up. I hadn't planned on that happening. It was now about ten o'clock, and I wasn't on post. And I didn't want to go on post. Not after what just happened.

The Org called me to find out what was happening. I told them I was feeling a little ill. That much was actually true. They sent someone around to pick me up. They wanted to get me back into session, as I was a red-tag. I wasn't sessionable (x48??). Nor the next day. I think it was on the next day when I finally got into session, and I was sessionable. And then the auditor asks me, "do you have a withhold?". You're goddamn right I have a withhold. Ah, to hell with it, I thought. It couldn't possibly get any worse than it has been over the last few days. I explained what had occurred. She wrapped up the session and got the folder to the C/S. All hell was about to break loose.

Anyway, we'll fast forward a bit because I hate that part of the story.

HCO put me on an ethics handling, but deliberately withheld the data from the DSA. They wanted to hold onto me, especially in HCO. It was probably about a month until DSA did find out. I was declared an illegal PC immediately, and told by her (politely!) to leave the Org. I was considered that much of a security threat.

I found out afterwards that the executives and the DSA (an elderly woman) came very close to physical violence over this issue. I was a public now, so I didn't care too much about who argued what with who. It was all about my production, and not about me anyway. This episode was my introduction to the world of confidential LRH policies. Apparently this is what the DSA was operating off, when she told me to leave the church building.

And through all of this, in spite of the anger I felt over being told to leave the building, I still felt like the whole episode was my fault. I really believed this. And more amazingly, I believed even more that Scientology had the answers to what ever it was that was wrong with me that caused this whole drama.

Through all of this I had no Comm Ev. I had a B of I (Board of Investigation) which recommended I be routed off staff to handle my PTSness. Then the DSA got involved, and somehow Scientology justice policy becomes irrelevant. It becomes even more irrelevant when you write reports on it. (Definition of an optimist = a Scientologist who writes KRs in the belief that it will make a positive difference).

(to be continued)

Neo

Neo

Part 8

I became public in September of 2004. I had spent a year on staff. I had been a Scientologist for one year also. I was looking forward to being a public. Being a staff member was difficult I thought, so being a public is surely the way to go. It actually took me a few more years to work out that being a non-Scientologist was actually the way to go. Being a public is just as difficult. The demands and expectations are on them as well. And because so many refuse to give in to the hard sell, there are bigger expectations put onto the few who continue to turn up week -in and week-out. I became dedicated to the IAS and believed that it was there to protect the group, and what the group represented. This, of course, is not true. But I didn't know this then. I worked hard to get my lifetime membership, which cost about $3500 (Aussie dollars). I paid off my freeloader debt, which didn't amount to much, as I hadn't done much. I started the PTS/SP course. I volunteered for CCHR.

Once I was through my liability, HCO started to attempt to recruit me again. I wasn't interested at this point, but they continued to try. And I was too nice to tell them to GTFO. Therefore they continued. I was still an illegal PC at this stage, but was assured by the DSA it would be lifted when the necessary steps were handled. I never saw any paper work for the declare or the lifting of it, but I believe it got lifted after I completed the PTS/SP course (making it about January 2006).

I have observed in myself, as I looked back over the many experiences in Scientology, a decision to do a certain thing, and there with it, a counter-opinion to that choice. One was in agreement with what was being asked of me (timid voice), and the other was a deeper sense of knowingness (integrity). Whilst being regged to join staff initially, this knowingness was there. "Don't do this thing. You don't believe in religions, or whatever it is they are offering". But timid voice won that one, "Sure, where do I sign?"

And then I would reinforce the initial, wrong, choice. Try to make it right. Produced like mad. My stats were mostly in normal, or affluence. When I bothered to keep stats. You get away with a lot when you are known as a producer. Until the Ethics Officer has a CR to turn in, and comes asking for conditions and stats. And this was always handleable with good old fashioned "TRs". An ack, and granting of beingness. These are two things I learnt a long time before Scientology. I learnt them from living life. Yet I never analysed, or drilled them, so I never really thought about them. So I inadvertently gave Scientology the credit for them. Until I started to see how other Scientologists fared with these skills. I didn't find it that difficult to out TR even a Pro-TR graduate. I didn't set out to do this. And it took a long time until I realised it was happening, as I wasn't looking for it. This is when I started to realise the robotic nature of Scientology training. I observed the product of the training, the auditors. I observed how they were doing in life. I only have reality with post GAT auditors. And one thing that confused me a lot was how could someone be so trained in the workings of the mind, yet still be so troubled in their own personal handling of life. I've known too many auditors whose training did not help them, except in the ability to audit (and again I can't compare them to pre-GAT auditors here).

And this goes for admin trained personnel also. Scientology admin tech is complex and convoluted. But we had to be in agreement with it. And I tried. But I found the easiest way, whilst on staff, was to ignore it and produce. As opposed to use something else, and produce. That would never have been acceptable. I never completed any mini hats, or other staff training. I believe this was one of my successful actions. Whilst on staff the first time, I relied on communication, and granting of beingness. I never raised my voice to get my way. I didn't consider it necessary. And to me it was a failure, as it was more of a form of punishment. Using force rather than agreement. I studied LRHs teachings on these points and found myself in agreement with him. So it came as a huge shock to learn about how he himself violated these points. He talked about honesty, yet lied continuously. Again I only learned about these things years later. It was the teachings of LRH that secured me to Scientology. I didn't care that many other Scientologists didn't or couldn't apply them. I didn't care that so many others didn't read his books (before the Basics). I had been searching for knowledge for years, and there seemed so much of it right where I was. I bought as many books as I could. When the congresses were released I bought those too. Somewhere in all that data was the way out of the trap for me. I truly believed that. Well, the way out of the trap was coming, and that is a good bit of the story, but we are not there yet.

LRH became my stable datum. All the contradictions around me could not shake that. They just served to reinforce how much I needed to learn from LRH directly. I chose to disregard the instructions to train as being important, given what I considered the relative failure of those I knew who were trained. Being processed up the Bridge I still considered, but was starting to see that the time involved would be considerable. But I believed in knowledge. And before any word of the Basics, I was studying LRH materials. I did not trust others account of it. Verbal Tech is rife. It is a human trait. I do it all the time myself. But ones opinions are quite often packaged with the data.

The Congresses I found to be an eye opening experience. I read the transcripts first, as I could read so much quicker than listening to the lectures. But eventually I had an experience with them similar to what Jason Beghe talks about. LRH keeps talking about "finally getting it", "finally creating Clears", etc. And then I looked around the Org and those who were there, and wondered where they all were. He kept getting it, then re-getting it, in his day, and here in my day, we still aint got it. Was it ever "got". Show me a mutherfucking Clear. So the Golden Age of Knowledge actually introduced into my world the true foundations of doubt. But still I found no fault with Ron. My doubts were very wafer thin, and nebulous. Perhaps they could be audited out, LOL.

(to be continued)

Neo

EP - Ethics Particle

Gold Meritorious Patron
This sure is FAMILAR sounding...

...deleted text...

LRH became my stable datum. All the contradictions around me could not shake that. They just served to reinforce how much I needed to learn from LRH directly. I chose to disregard the instructions to train as being important, given what I considered the relative failure of those I knew who were trained. Being processed up the Bridge I still considered, but was starting to see that the time involved would be considerable. But I believed in knowledge. And before any word of the Basics, I was studying LRH materials. I did not trust others account of it. Verbal Tech is rife. It is a human trait. I do it all the time myself. But ones opinions are quite often packaged with the data.

The Congresses I found to be an eye opening experience. I read the transcripts first, as I could read so much quicker than listening to the lectures. But eventually I had an experience with them similar to what Jason Beghe talks about. LRH keeps talking about "finally getting it", "finally creating Clears", etc. And then I looked around the Org and those who were there, and wondered where they all were. He kept getting it, then re-getting it, in his day, and here in my day, we still aint got it. Was it ever "got". Show me a mutherfucking Clear. So the Golden Age of Knowledge actually introduced into my world the true foundations of doubt. But still I found no fault with Ron. My doubts were very wafer thin, and nebulous. Perhaps they could be audited out, LOL.

(to be continued)

Neo

Neo, except for health issues, your tale is so very similar to my own experience - thank you for it! :clap: I'm betting I can guess a lot of the rest. :yes:

Roy/EP

Neo

Part 9

My first experience with the craziness of Scientology management came when the CMO ANZO arrived in December 2004. I had been on staff for only a few months. I had only met a couple of Sea Org members. I thought the billion year contract thing was ludicrous, but aside from that they were alright. But these CMO members were the most serious and uptight people I had seen in Scientology. They actually scared me a bit. And they had a serious message for us from David Miscavige. I didn't even know who he was at that stage! It was actually the staff only presentation about the imminent release of the Golden Age of Knowledge. Except that it took over a year and a half before the first part, the Congresses, was released. And four years before the Basics were released.

What I found craziest was that we had the presentation at New Years, when most staff had taken their holidays, and organised time off to see their families, some inter state. And the presentation had to be seen three times, over three days. No exceptions.

But I did manage to write off the craziness of it all. It was all so new. Its like being in love. The other person just doesn't do wrong or bad things. Their idiosyncrasies are actually kinda cute. The honeymoon period, LOL.

"Yeh, you may be in love with her, but she's a batshit crazy cult."

"I know, but isn't she hot?"

"She's taking all of your money and time."

"And just you wait till I work my charm on her (wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more!)"

"This is gonna end badly. They always do."

"No, this time its different. I can really sense it with her. We're meant to be together!"

:p

(to be continued)

Neo

Corsa

Patron with Honors
Dear Neo! (This is a good name for you!)
I just wanted to tell you: A woman I know, 80 years old, has been living with one lung since she was 20. Despite all odds, she even gave birth to two healthy children!
I liked to read your story. Do you write more soon?

Neo

Part 10

The Ideal Org drama started in late 2005, whilst I was a public. I had no money, so initially considered myself to be no part of it. When it started up, the initial request was for one million dollars, with no particular date required. The regging was going slowly. Then at one event, Melbourne OTVIII Andrew Rinder (Mike Rinders brother), announced a new target. We needed seven million dollars, and we had a couple of months at best to get it.

They had been looking at properties for over a year by this stage. Finally one had been found that was approved of uplines, and was available. Its cost was seven million. It was an old Catholic University about five kilometres north west of the city centre.

A lot has been written about the push for Ideal Orgs, and whether they are in fact really needed. And how much they actually violate LRH policy. But at the time this push started in Melbourne, things on Day were actually quite busy. It was after the Congresses had been released, but before the Basics, and the non-stop calling of public. Many public did turn up at the Org. Probably not much compared to Melbourne in its early days, but from when I started on staff it would have been a considerable increase. GI was up on average, although still poor, given the wages being made. When I started on staff my average wage was at most about fifty dollars per week. Staff would have been making closer to one hundred by this stage. Not a very good wage, given the minimum wage at that time was about five hundred dollars per week. But a one hundred percent increase nonetheless.

There would have been about forty people on staff when I started. Maybe slightly more. By this stage there were around sixty, and it peaked at around eighty (late last year, 2007). All of these things helped fuel the belief that an Ideal Org was needed. Melbourne was the highest producing Class V org on the Continent, and its facilities were quite full. Now, foundation was the complete opposite. And most of the other Orgs in Australia were non existent. None of these have a need for a new building. And, ironically, neither does Melbourne, now. But at the time, it seemed like it did. Which probably explains how the Melbourne field did come up with the seven million dollars. And in about four months. It was actually a very exciting time. If you were caught up in the game, and the target of the game. If you hadn't been sucked into it all, it probably made little sense. I remember the night when the final dollars were made. Out came the beers, in Div 6 where we were all celebrating. Outside the LRH office, LOL. It probably released a lot of TA for those who had participated. That was then, this is now, however.

The building sits mostly idle (Idle Org, perhaps?). It needs millions more for renovations. The local council has approved use, but for a maximum of two hundred people at any given time. For it to go Saint Hill size, which is the stated plan, there will need to be a minimum of one hundred and twenty staff. But they would prefer closer to two hundred staff. Doesn't leave much room for public. They could get the money needed for renovations, or most of it, by selling the current building (which is owned by Management), and using those funds to renovate. They have permission to do this. But the council wont alter the approval conditions. It has been almost three years now, and a lot of fizz has gone out of the local Scientology scene because of this debacle.

By the time this was over, and the dust had settled, I had donated over twelve thousand dollars. I didn't have twelve thousand dollars. I had no credit, as it was shot to pieces from when I got cancer (and I was, and still am one missed payment away from bankruptcy - in what is known as a debt agreement, which I chose over bankruptcy because I believed at the time it was the right thing to do, rather than throw the towel in, so to speak. although, sometimes I wish I had have declared bankruptcy). I borrowed from my sister. I save a lot of money from the work I was doing, and scraped here and there as best I could. I was given a target by the ED of ten thousand dollars, and I hate letting people down, which worked well for them, I guess. I got the money, and felt like a giant as a result. But it was costly, and ultimately not worth it. But I did get the feeling of satisfaction from this accomplishment, and that is mine to keep, regardless.

(to be continued)

Neo

EP - Ethics Particle

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'll say it again...

...deleted text..

I got the money, and felt like a giant as a result. But it was costly, and ultimately not worth it. But I did get the feeling of satisfaction from this accomplishment, and that is mine to keep, regardless.

(to be continued)

Neo

Neo, my dear friend, MONEY IS A RENEWABLE RESOURCE! :omg: :yes: I know, I know...I've been there :melodramatic: but what I say is true! I salute you and wish you were here to share a beverage of your choice at my table! :cheers: :cheers2: :hifive:

Roy/EP

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Neo, you write so brilliantly.

I'm so happy you are telling your story. It IS your story, yet it is everyone's story in a way.

Having met you makes it even more special because I know the kind of person you are. You are talented and determined and very calming to be around. The folks at Melbourne Org know they lost a good one in you.

Neo

Part 11

[There was an experience with a CMO terminal earlier that I forgot about. This is from around early 2004.]

I was HCO Cope Officer, but still did a lot of Telex I/C duties, and overseeing the email system. I set up the email system, as it is used by Melbourne currently. Repaired their computers when they would break down (which was quite often). When I first arrived in September of 2003, and went onto post as Telex I/C, they had no functioning printer. They couldn't pass telex's out on disks, as there were, at best, about three computers in the Org for people to use. The system was a mess. I was somewhat amazed at their inability to "just" go and get another printer. I was told that money was the problem. Within one week of being on staff I had a second hand printer from ebay, delivered to the org, and set up and working, for twenty-six dollars. They are still using this printer today.

The Telex room was in HCO, and was to be kept locked when not in use. Only authorised people were allowed in. This was the command given to me by my senior, the HES, so I respected it, and kept it in.

In early 2004, a woman from CMO, Sei Broadhurst arrived from Sydney. There was someone else with her, but I don't recall her name. I walked into the Telex room to find Sei using the computer. I asked if she had permission to do so, just so I could know, as I considered it important, as it was a function of my post. Within twenty four hours she'd gone through the two computers in the Telex room, in a search for any data or outnesses that could be used against me. I had set the computer up in a very organised manner, so that I could find data again. This was used against me, with the claim being it was out security. I was put into liability for this.

I do not have fond memories of this woman. But, until recently I had forgotten about this incident, which is why I forgot to put it in in its place. But this story takes on extra significance for me, because Sei is Nick Broadhurst's wife. Nick is (or was when I was still in) the President of the Church of Scientology ANZO.

The interesting aspect, is I have been keeping Nick busy lately (haven't I, Nick? - I got your, or OSA's call at 3am the other morning). I have just submitted a report into the Australian Senate inquiry into charities and their disclosure requirements. I know OSA has a copy of this now. Nick, I am only getting started, believe me. Say hi to your wife for me.

I feel like I am introducing two really good friends of mine to each other: "Irony", meet "Justice". I'm sure the two of you will get along just fine.

(to be continued)

Neo

Neo

Oh Neo, Neo, Neo!

All of the love that you put into this board, should now be pouring back at you in bucket fulls.

Your story so far is amazing.

Please keep it up....I need the happy ending. Just knowing that it is coming confirms for me that as some people walk through the most difficult challenges in life and come out with wisdom and love rather than bitterness and wrath.

Love you Neo, Love your story!

Thank you, duddins :)

Without giving away too much just yet, "the happy ending" involves the realisation that I, and I alone, am responsible for the attitude that I hold. About myself. About others. About everything. Somewhere in all of this, the "disease" of allowing the "reality of the past" to make me frightened of the future, to the point where I would neglect the present, has dissipated away.

I have a lot of reality on bitterness, and it is an ugly emotion. It colours ones view of life in such a way that it becomes very unlivable. I forced myself to confront this. Before Scientology. So I will not call on it again to handle Scientology. Besides, "Truth" is a better weapon against them. This I believe.

None of this is to say that dealing with the physical universe when it presents such difficult issues ones way is easy. It isn't. We all know this. But my attitude is mine, and I wont allow others to dictate how I should feel. This is closer to Total Freedom than anything Scientology is peddling, IMHO.

Neo

Pixie

Crusader
Neo this was a most wonderfully written and heart breaking story with an equaly wonderful conclusion. All of these challanges in life for sure teach us a lot there's no doubt about that, and if that is the price of freedom within then it was worth it in the end. Remaining true to oneself is one of the most difficult things to achive after an experience like the cult and it sounds like you have achieved that in spades. :yes:

You are a very brave soldier for sure and you have my very best wishes for your life and future happiness. Perhaps you'll write a book about it all some day.. :yes: Continue to do very well and the very best of luck. :thumbsup:

Warmest Regards.. Pixie..

Neo

Neo this was a most wonderfully written and heart breaking story with an equaly wonderful conclusion. All of these challanges in life for sure teach us a lot there's no doubt about that, and if that is the price of freedom within then it was worth it in the end. Remaining true to oneself is one of the most difficult things to achive after an experience like the cult and it sounds like you have achieved that in spades. :yes:

You are a very brave soldier for sure and you have my very best wishes for your life and future happiness. Perhaps you'll write a book about it all some day.. :yes: Continue to do very well and the very best of luck. :thumbsup:

Warmest Regards.. Pixie..

Thanks Pixie, although it hasn't concluded, yet. Getting to that part. I'm only about half way, I think. But I did allude to the conclusion in my post to duddins :yes:

I appreciate your post :)

Neo

Pixie

Crusader
Thanks Pixie, although it hasn't concluded, yet. Getting to that part. I'm only about half way, I think. But I did allude to the conclusion in my post to duddins :yes:

I appreciate your post :)

Neo

I know, and I can't wait, however I just wanted to acknowledge you Neo.. :yes:

Neo

Neo, you write so brilliantly.

I'm so happy you are telling your story. It IS your story, yet it is everyone's story in a way.

Having met you makes it even more special because I know the kind of person you are. You are talented and determined and very calming to be around. The folks at Melbourne Org know they lost a good one in you.

:blush:

People at the Melbourne Org do know they lost a good one, for sure. But I wish they knew why. I hope they wake up, and walk out. And if they are reading here, at any point, we'll help.

I appreciate what you wrote. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. :)

Neo