What's new

North Korea and Scientology

Robot Phil

Patron
I'm always fascinated when I hear about North Korea (Although to be honest I got most of my info from cracked.com and some documentaries on Netflix). The psychological torture, the fact that people are kept in a bubble, the way to success is loyalty. I cannot help but feel there are parallels to how Scientology is run. In North Korea they reward loyalty, only the most loyal are allowed to live in the capital city. The documentary I saw had people praise the leader as if he were a religious icon. It's amazing how we as humans adapt to our environments to survive, if disagreeing means a fate worst than death for us and those around us we tend to agree. Kim Jong Il/Un and David Miscavige share a love of displays of affection because they are paranoid that the fake walls they maintain around their subjects could come crashing down at any moment. Scientology and North Korea exploit your love of your family, if you defect your family is punished. They are shameless, punishment is dealt out without remorse. North Korea and Scientology promote loyalty by creating boogy men, the psyches are trying to bring down the one group that can stop their rampage and the American Imperialists are constantly on the verge of invasion.

A look at Scientology could give some real insight into what it is like to be a North Korean. If the walls came crashing down would they all run? Scientology has been through many crisis, but there are still people there. There are no physical walls keeping them there but they choose to stay. It would most likely be similar if North Korea were to crumble, many die hard supporters would defy what seems like basic logic and try to restore the regime to its former glory.

Any thoughts on this topic?

Teanntás

Silver Meritorious Patron
I'm always fascinated when I hear about North Korea (Although to be honest I got most of my info from cracked.com and some documentaries on Netflix). The psychological torture, the fact that people are kept in a bubble, the way to success is loyalty. I cannot help but feel there are parallels to how Scientology is run. In North Korea they reward loyalty, only the most loyal are allowed to live in the capital city. The documentary I saw had people praise the leader as if he were a religious icon. It's amazing how we as humans adapt to our environments to survive, if disagreeing means a fate worst than death for us and those around us we tend to agree. Kim Jong Il/Un and David Miscavige share a love of displays of affection because they are paranoid that the fake walls they maintain around their subjects could come crashing down at any moment. Scientology and North Korea exploit your love of your family, if you defect your family is punished. They are shameless, punishment is dealt out without remorse. North Korea and Scientology promote loyalty by creating boogy men, the psyches are trying to bring down the one group that can stop their rampage and the American Imperialists are constantly on the verge of invasion.

A look at Scientology could give some real insight into what it is like to be a North Korean. If the walls came crashing down would they all run? Scientology has been through many crisis, but there are still people there. There are no physical walls keeping them there but they choose to stay. It would most likely be similar if North Korea were to crumble, many die hard supporters would defy what seems like basic logic and try to restore the regime to its former glory.

Well, there is the example of Russia which rather suddenly dropped totalitarian Communism and then slowly developed into a totalitarian kleptocracy. Other former Communist countries have had a better experience. If David were to go there would be others who would try to get their hands on the power and money. Other staff would still need a space to live and would try to rationalise their position within.

Robot Phil

Patron
Another interesting and creepy parallel is that both share a taste for lavish, expensive buildings that take years to build and remain empty afterwards :

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryugyong_Hotel

That was mentioned on Cracked.com, the North Koreans and Scientology love to build an expensive facade to show that they are doing great and mask the fact that the opposite is true. Like the fake village at the Border complete with actors coming in and out of the buildings that serves no purpose except to rub their awesomeness in South Korea's face. South Korea puts a tall flagpole near the border, North Korea puts in an even taller one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kijong-dong

Let's also not ignore the devastating effect the internet has on the propaganda of these two organizations. Any person outside the bubble can easily use Google to see how laughably wrong they are.

freethinker

Sponsor
Personally, I think they don't run and don't leave because where they are is all they have ever known. It's not that they feel any sense of loyalty to the punishment regime but if that is all you have ever known, are you willing to risk the possibility of running from one horror to one that is even worse?

These people are kept isolated from the exterior goings on of the rest of the world and what they do get a glimpse of, they have no certainty that it offers hope or a better life.

If you have survived in the cage you are in, are you willing to leave that for the possibility of another cage you may not survive in?

If the walls came crashing down would they all run? Scientology has been through many crisis, but there are still people there. There are no physical walls keeping them there but they choose to stay. It would most likely be similar if North Korea were to crumble, many die hard supporters would defy what seems like basic logic and try to restore the regime to its former glory.

Northern Shewolf

Patron Meritorious
Shewolf thinks that all will depend on the level of 'public shaming' delivered by way of media shit-storm... Fraydom mag. is not response from Co$...need big head pushed to dive in....only that would bring total tipping point.
Just saying....mere wog speakin:unsure:.

Sidney18511

Patron with Honors
I think that when the "Going Clear" documentary is released on HBO there will be many folks making the comparison between NK and COS.

Hopefully people will also realize that religious cloaking will allow an evil organization to function right under our noses.

Robot Phil

Patron
Hopefully that means Seth Rogen and James Franco make a movie where they interview David Miscavige. Nobody would listen to him when he threatens to bomb the movie theaters.