ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Officially Out

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Robert H, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Robert H

Robert H Patron

My name is Robert Horn, and I am officially out of the Church Of Scientology.

Some information about who I am:

I came into Scientology in 1989. I pretty much joined staff right away, and have been on and off staff for 12 1/2 years. 3 years of those I was the ED of Joburg Foundation. The balance was the Deputy ED on Foundation, and there was then a period where I was on Joburg Day and Foundation at the same time. On Joburg Day I was the Qualifications Secretary, and then the ED's Programs Operator.

I was on staff in the grotty old building in 95 Commissioner Street, helped the org move to 130 Main Street, and was there when the Org moved into their "Ideal Org" premises in Kensington.

Training wise I completed my Level 0, but had to start again with the "Golden Age Of Tech" and got stuck on the Metering Course. Funny enough, I did not actually get stuck on it, I just saw how much shit everyone else was having on it, and the disputes about instant reads and F/N's, that I decided not to bother. I trained up through the OEC volumes and did the Data Series Evaluator course.

Auditing wise I went up to OT V, and out through the bottom with the Advance Program where I had to do NED.

Why did I leave?

Good question. I will leave the whole story for another time. But the bottom line was that I started applying my Data Series Evaluator course to the Church Of Scientology itself. I started looking and evaulating all of the things I was seeing within the Organisation and at events. I then did the big jump and got onto the Internet. Spent a lot of time investigating further. Then, after discussing things with my wife, we decided to take a repayment of the money we had at Flag. At that point we got expelled, and once we actually received our money from the local org, ANZO and Flag, that was the last time we have heard from anyone within the Church.

The major Outpoints:

1. The "Ideal Org" strategy.
    2. Donations for library campains.
    3. Donations for IAS.
    4. Donations for everything else.
    5. Golden Age of Tech.
    6. 6 month Sec Checks for OT VII's.
    7. Lack of results.
    8. Bad Management.
    9. International Events.
    10. False PR.
    11. Advance Programs.

Each of these is a subject of a post on it's own. I am sure that a lot of this has been covered by posts on this forum.

So why am I making this public?

Through my dealings with Scientologists I have found that it is best to be totally open about how you feel about the "Church" and where you stand. You will not believe how it opens the door, and how many people actually totally agree with you. I am also hoping to network with other Ex-Scientologists in Joburg and South Africa area. So feel free to PM me.

2. FinallyMe

FinallyMe Silver Meritorious Patron

Robert, welcome to ESMB and thank you for getting yourself OUT! You will either already know or soon discover that we look forward A LOT to hearing your story! Hoping your life is going VERY well for you now!

3. This is NOT OK !!!!

This is NOT OK !!!! Gold Meritorious Patron

Glad you're here - welcome.

Did you know that Rena Weinberg is a prisoner in SP Hall at Int?

4. This is NOT OK !!!!

This is NOT OK !!!! Gold Meritorious Patron

Oh, and so is Simon Hogarth!

5. skollie

skollie Silver Meritorious Patron

Simon's in the SP Hall?? :ohmy:

edit to add a :welcome: Robert.

6. Touchstone

Touchstone Patron

Welcome, Robert.
    Do please tell your story, even the parts that you think are 'no big deal,' or 'same as everyone else's' or whatever. You and the other recently-out who speak up are, I think, among the greatest possible sources of validation for those still-in who are having doubts and have started looking.

Manoman, there are a lot of recent arrivals here in the New Member Introduction section. I know some folks around here have an understandably allergic response to 'stats', but I wonder if/hope that there's a simple mechanism to statistically analyze the rate of new arrivals. I could go through this section and manually collect first-post dates, but if there's an easier way, it would sate my curiosity on this point.

7. AngeloV

AngeloV Gold Meritorious Patron

Welcome RobertH. Hope to read about your story soon.

8. TrevAnon

TrevAnon Big List researcher

9. Jim Little

Jim Little Patron with Honors

Welcome to ESMB and the REAL world. Not the one promoted at every event.

10. Robert H

Robert H Patron

Here is the start of my story:

A friend of mine's parents used to be Scientologists. As a kid he had memories of doing TRS with his sister aboard the Apollo. That must have been before the regulation about having kids in the Sea Org. I don't think they were there long, but they had to come back to South Africa. Apparently his father then started up an Org in Bloemfontein. Not sure how long that went for, but his dad died quite suddenly. I never did get the whole story.

Anyway, one day he gives me a few books that he says I might find interesting. It was Phoenix Lectues, the Tech Dictionary, and Scientology 8-08. I started reading Phoenix lectures, and we then tried to work out what he was talking about with AS-ISSness, etc. It just totally confused us. Somewhere in Phoenix Lectures, he says that Dianetics was the start of it. So I figure I need to get Dianetics. I then spent a day going to all of the bookstores in Joburg to find the book, but no-one had it. Man, I was dissappointed. At some point I heard from someone that there was a centre in Town where I could buy it. So one Saturday afternoon I was driving through town and decided to see if I could find it. I walked into the Org and someone sold me the book.

That week I sat down at work and read the book. The first day I phoned my friend and told him to go buy the book and start reading it. He phoned me the next day and said that he had been up the whole night reading, he and I were totally blown out. This was what we were looking for. That weekend we went into the Org to go and find out more. He signed up for a Dianetics Seminar, and I got talked into buying the Purif. I was working about 100km's away, so I had 2 hours of driving to get to and from the Purif every night. It was total madness, but I managed to get through it. As part of the Purif I also got the old HQS Course. I started doing this, and got onto the TRS. This really impressed me. I was finally able to look at people and speak to them. This was a big ruin handled for me.

So without much work, they managed to get me signed up for staff. My friend arrived too, but because he had been in a high security section of the army, he had to get cleared first.

They signed me up to go onto full time training first. I am not sure what they were going to train me for, all I knew was that I was going to study Scientology full time. Then they said that I had to have a production record first. So I worked in the public division first. And what does that mean? Call-In. My first post was to call book buyers to come in for a free Session. The PES, Louis Scott (he sold insurance for a living) invented a scheme where we would phone people and tell them that they had won a prize. The prize was a free session. So I spent a few days doing this, not liking it one bit. The Qualification Secretary, Dinos Gagas, saved my day by pushing my TTC cycle through and get me onto study.

At that time I also gave up my job and decided to do Scientology full time. When I look back at this, I have no idea how I managed to make this go right. There were 4 of us living in a flat in Yeoville, and we were all full-time staff members.

At that point the org decided to send me up to the CLO for training. That meant I was to go study with the Sea Org members, and I would be training day and night. That was fine by me. At that point I had done the old Basic Study Manual, Staff Status 1 and 2, and was through Student Hat. I am still not sure what they were training me up for. I think it might have been a Supervisor.

Next thing I know, I was told that there was a special evolution underway, and they actually needed me to be the PPO (Personnel Procurement Officer). The whole point on this is that the ED has to have a PPO, and a Staff Section Officer before she can count her stat. So they changed my training line-up, and I was onto training to be the PPO. So there I was, doing hard sell drilling, having been in Scientology for only 2 months, and I am now the person that is going hire people. And it is totally my responsibility for filling up the org with staff :duh:

Luckily, I only was on this post for 2 weeks, when Uncle Sam stepped in and saved my bacon. I was called up for compulsory military service.

11. Lynn Fountain Campbell

Lynn Fountain Campbell Silver Meritorious Patron

:welcome:
    Welcome, Robert. Glad you're here.
    <3
    Lynn

12. Lurker5

Lurker5 Gold Meritorious Patron

Hello !

Hello & :welcome:, Robert ! :wave:

13. Robert H

Robert H Patron

14. Panda Termint

Panda Termint Cabal Of One

Welcome to ESMB, Robert. :)

15. scooter

scooter Gold Meritorious Patron

:welcome: Robert - glad you've connected up here. :thumbsup:

Lovin' your story - moar? :drama:

16. EP - Ethics Particle

EP - Ethics Particle Gold Meritorious Patron

Welome - and a question.

:wave::welcome: RHorn!

Just wondering if there is an "Uncle Sam" in South Africa as well as the USA :confused2: or is it just "jargon" that has gone global! :p

EP, Mike Horton

17. Mark A. Baker

Mark A. Baker Sponsor

As a "liberal freezoner" I am always especially pleased to hear about people who left the church because they were applying the tech of scientology as they understood it! :thumbsup:

This is to me the key to understanding the value that the subject of scientology actually possesses.

I was just talking to my friend DianaClassVIII earlier and remarked on how I had had such wonderful wins on my auditing in the church generally, including the Happiness Rundown, and most especially on the precept "Seek To Live With The Truth". Any attempt to manifest that precept in life is utterly irreconciliable with life within the Co$. The Co$ as an institution is utterly committed to denying, disguising, and destroying truth in every way possible. I always find it ironically amusing that so many of the completions on the original HRD either attempted to correct the obvious outpoints they encountered with church operations and were accordingly thrown out by church management, or simply recognized the incompatibility of being an HRD completion and continuing to support the Co$ as it was structured and managed and therefore left of their own volition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTiyLuZOs1A

Mark A. Baker :)

18. Mest Lover

Mest Lover Not Sea Org Qualified

Welcome, wish I had the strength you have when I got out 20 years ago.

19. Opter

Opter Silver Meritorious Patron

Welcome Robert.:):):):):)

Opter

20. Infinite

Infinite Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller

Hi Robert - welcome aboard. Can you recall what it was that finally tipped you over into the internet and what sites proved to be the most valuable? Sounds like it was more of a slow build up of outpoints than any one thing . . . but, just asking.

Thank you for speaking out.