What's new

Operation I'm Spartacus

byte301

Crusader
I'm as patriotic as the next American, but damn if this doesn't make me wish I was a Brit!! I would be all over this.

underpants, you seriously rock!

Fancy

Patron Meritorious
There are privacy laws in regard to medical issues so that might be looked into in the USA. i know i have to sign such or get a copy of it from banks and such places as well.

Barb

Reasonable Lady

Patron with Honors
Hi Deadle,
Great work on your part. How does this law apply to non residents? Could an American who did his/her OT levels at St. Hill use this law to get his/her pc/preOT folders? Thanks for all your work.

RL

ScudMuffin

Silver Meritorious Patron
Beings that the information is being held by a company within the UK then, in theory, you can use the data protection act. You do need to confirm that though, I'd suggest the contacting the British Embassy about it.

asagai

Patron Meritorious
Hi Deadle,
Great work on your part. How does this law apply to non residents? Could an American who did his/her OT levels at St. Hill use this law to get his/her pc/preOT folders? Thanks for all your work.

RL

I just rang the Information Commissioner's Office on 08456 30 60 60 from outside the UK that is probably 44 8456 30 60 60

Your call can be anonymous.

YES, YES, YES! The act covers anybody, wherever they live, who believes personal data is held on them in the UK! I specifically confirmed that a US citizen who came to the UK for training and counselling is covered!

Go, go, go all you US students and PCs who came to Saint Hill! This opens up the whole scenario! :thumbsup:

Aussies and South Africans too as well as EU citizens, of course! :happydance:

Any overseas Scn who came to the UK as staff, or public can demand copies of the data held on them in the UK!

Please review anonyunderpants steps and info at http://forums.enturbulation.org/12-current-projects/operation-data-protection-shield-13606/

As far as I can tell from talking to the ICO and studying the data, his steps are absoultely spot on. :thumbsup:

It's time to go public with this additional data: The ICO have already confirmed to me that you don't need to use your actual address when submitting your challenge. You can use a solicitor's address or even have him act as your agent for you. The CofS would have the right to check that the solicitor is acting on your behalf. So show the lawyer your letters and your proof of ID, seal the envelopes in his presence and get him to authorise that you are who you say you are and he is a witness to your letters. Your letters can say that all replies be sent to the solicitor's address. Get the Lawyer to confirm to the CofS that they have seen proof of your identity and that all correspondence must be addressed to their address.

You ask the UK CofS to confirm within 21 days that they have ceased processing your data and that within 40 days they let you see copies of all data held on you in the UK. As per anonyunderpants fantastic research.

The advantage of this system of using a lawyer's address is that you ask the CofS in the UK to stop processing your data without you telling any Scn org in your country that you have done this. Then, after 21 days, if you get a phone call or letter or PI investigation on your home address, even if the source of the call, letter or op is in the USA, then that is proof that they are still processing your data in the UK and they have alerted the USA CofS and that is proof of a breach of the Data protection Act! You win! You contact the ICO over the breach and you've got the CofS for violation of the Data protection Act! :happydance:

In other words by doing this you are protected from being fair gamed even if you are outside the UK!

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Beings that the information is being held by a company within the UK then, in theory, you can use the data protection act. You do need to confirm that though, I'd suggest the contacting the British Embassy about it.

Welcome ScudMuffin!!

Say...Is that a scud missile in your avatar, or are you just happy to be here?

ScudMuffin

Silver Meritorious Patron
//Off Topic

Ha, yeah I get that a lot. It's a Scud with a muffin on the end.

www.scudmuffin.com

I googled the name.

//On Topic

I'd also recommend that any and all ex-scis follow the advice for use of the DPA. Seriously, if you all co-ordinate so the messages are recieved at roughly the same time then it'll bog them down. If they claim they haven't the manpower then use their estimates of the number of scientologists in the UK against them i.e. take the number, then take the number of orgs and work out the numbers on staff at a guess give or take some.

Also keep track of the number of letters being sent. If a claim comes back that they can't manage it they may be forced to reveal an exact number of members on staff in an attempt to try and get extra time to respond. Plus a mass delay means a mass fine, and then if you don't think they've given you all the info you can complain. And if the info appears to have been sent outside the UK/EU, without informing you, then you can get them on that.

So that's four slaps (two delays) for the price of one, plus any police warrants if seemed necessary. Last time I looked at the bottom of the exscn index it said there's 963 members. 963 x 4 = 1022 possible slaps from one board alone. Imagine OCBM, Enturb, ESK and others doing that, it'd be crippling.

Last edited:

asagai

Patron Meritorious
//Off Topic

Ha, yeah I get that a lot. It's a Scud with a muffin on the end.

www.scudmuffin.com

I googled the name.

//On Topic

I'd also recommend that any and all ex-scis follow the advice for use of the DPA. Seriously, if you all co-ordinate so the messages are recieved at roughly the same time then it'll bog them down. If they claim they haven't the manpower then use their estimates of the number of scientologists in the UK against them i.e. take the number, then take the number of orgs and work out the numbers on staff at a guess give or take some.

Also keep track of the number of letters being sent. If a claim comes back that they can't manage it they may be forced to reveal an exact number of members on staff in an attempt to try and get extra time to respond. Plus a mass delay means a mass fine, and then if you don't think they've given you all the info you can complain. And if the info appears to have been sent outside the UK/EU, without informing you, then you can get them on that.

So that's four slaps (two delays) for the price of one, plus any police warrants if seemed necessary. Last time I looked at the bottom of the exscn index it said there's 963 members. 963 x 4 = 1022 possible slaps from one board alone. Imagine OCBM, Enturb, ESK and others doing that, it'd be crippling.

Lack of staff resources won't be an acceptable excuse and will just prove how the amount of data held is excessive! Violation of the DPA. Epic win!

Can someone link to this thread on OCMB, ExSo, Ex scn kids etc?

asagai

Patron Meritorious

Thanks scud! :)

Here's how I see it, we exes are mostly cowed because of the data the CofS has on us and we know how they ignore the law. So most of us are watching and waiting.

Nothing wrong with that. Meanwhile study anonyunderpants' campaign.

Read the website http://www.ico.gov.uk/what_we_cover/data_protection/the_basics.aspx

Anonyunderpants understands our position and he has put his head on the line for us.

The 40 days will soon be up on the Theta Omega and anonyunderpants capaigns. Around the 31st May.

Meanwhile any exes who are already targetted and identified, follow anonyunderpants lead and get yourself protected by the DPA. Use a solicitor's address.

When we each feel brave enough and ready, we can launch our own challenge, if we want to, and there will be safety in numbers.

asagai

Patron Meritorious
Thread diversion warning! Alex warning! Watch out there is a Scientologist about!

Don't let the Scientologists shudder us into silence!

Phone the ICO if anyone wants reassurance that the act covers PC folders, Ethics folders and OSA op notes.

This seems to me to be a clear Scientologist action by Alex to try to stop people making a DPA challenge.

Notice how on the first page he tried to divert the thread off-topic? Now he's trying to impede the action.

I reckon we must be onto a hot subject here and Alex is being a good scientologist in response. Naughty Alex. :no:

alex

Gold Meritorious Patron
:ohmy:
:)

Let me know when someone gets their pc folders back....

alex ( who posted a link to actual british government documents people can read for themselves and test the accuracy of for 10 pounds)

asagai

Patron Meritorious
:ohmy:
:)

Let me know when someone gets their pc folders back....

alex ( who posted a link to actual british government documents people can read for themselves and test the accuracy of for 10 pounds)

You are missing the point. But yes, keep bumping the thread to the top! :thumbsup:

And yes, keep misunderstanding the Act and the purpose of the challenge, you are doing a great job keeping this thread before ex-scns eyes! :coolwink: Back to OSA cramming for you!

If Alex has confused anybody, just PM me for clarification. :)

Daedle

Patron
The Data protection act covers paper records now as well.

Alex, perhaps you can clear something up for me. Your designated Data Officers have a duty by law to know their responsibilities under DPA. Perhaps you can explain how they a) missed a deadline that can be met by writing one letter and b) had to turn to their solicitors?