ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Out for 15 years and still alive!

Discussion in 'Stories From Inside Scientology' started by syoung108, Aug 11, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. syoung108

syoung108 New Member

Hi, my name is Skip Yarian. I was somewhat well-known to people in the East U.S. and LA.
    I did my first Scn course in 1975, at the Tampa, FL mission. I later joined staff in Atlanta, and audited thousands of hours in the Atlanta area during 1984 - 1994. I was the ED of the Atlanta Org for about 1 or 2 years (it's a blur). I regged, recruited, did finance, PR, marketing and promotion, training...you name it, I pretty much had to do it all at one time or another. That was the job, crusade, purpose line, whatever.

I was also on staff at FCDC for 6 months. If I recall correctly, I got the WDAH up to the highest, or second highest in the history of FCDC. Just mintues before we had the weekly meeting that Thursday night, an SO member ferociously blasted me for not getting the hours higher. The ferocity of that berating caused something inside me to snap. Working 15 hours per day 7 days per week, with weeks of screaming affluence (actually, the only things actually screaming were the SO missionaires in the org), and what do I get? Screamed at with such hatred and animosity that I realized the Scientology I had known no longer existed. If someone talked to me like that today, I fear my response would be much more drastic. But, interestingly, those things never seem to happen out in the real world, for some strange reason. Not without dire consequences, at least.

I blew 3 times from Scientology during my time on staff. The first was after I'd worked 16 hours per day for 11 months, no days off, including the week we won the birthday game.
    I was 'recovered' back to staff 2 times.
    The third time, in 1996, was a charm, because I haven't been back since. That time I made sure that it would be nearly impossible to find me. And it was.

It was always a mystery to me why things on staff became more and more difficult as the years went by. After finally getting out and later finding resources online, it's all become clear.

I'm not writing to bash the technology of Scientology, or LRH. Certainly there were some crazy things that went on. Maybe that's not harsh enough for some.
    I've read many of the horror stories, and have my own personal stories of neglect, abuse, deprivation, poverty and irresponsibility, which includes my own mammoth irresponsibility.
    By no means am I holier than thou. But I'm sure you've read enough of those.

I only want to say this: there is life outside Scientology.
    While on staff, I was so convinced that some horrible thing would happen if I left Scientology. The truth is, nothing horrible happened. I didn't freak out. I didn't go crazy, or come down with some terrible and incurable illness. I always heard that "you won't 'make it' if you leave Scientology". But that's not true.
    Any adverse effects in life were due to my own lack of ethics or inability to handle the situation. There was no big mysterious bogey man who came and took my mind and life away.

I have had to lie on resumes to fill the period I was on staff. What non-Scientologist could understand "1984 - 1994, Scientology staff member"? Leaving the church at age 42 didn't bode well in the working world without a work history that an employer could relate to. I've bullshitted my way through enough interviews, and creatively fashioned a false history. Who can relate to Scientology? It was hard enough getting the people who were somewhat curious to be interested in the subject.

It did take some time to adjust to the outside world, because things had changed in the world and I wasn't there to keep up with the changes. I joke with my friends that I missed the 80's. It's true.
    But time has passed, I've been through my own personal inval and eval cycles, bounced around through various jobs, screwed up, done crazy things.
    I eventually realized that I was an able person prior to Scientology, and even more able since, out of necessity.

In my opinion, Scientology technology has its merits, despite those who say otherwise. But rather than argue the point, I would mostly like to address this post to the tempted ones, those who think maybe it's time to get out of the church.

I will say that if you are thinking of leaving the church, there's a good reason that you're thinking that.

Once you get online and check out some of the data out here (and there is a vast array of opinions online), you will see that there are some people who have had similar experiences. And you'll be shocked by some of the realities that you've been shielded from. Be prepared, it's not a pretty sight.

For those who have been out, this is old hat, I know. I only hope to influence someone who's still on the fence.

There is life after Scientology.

My best to you.

2. Lurker5

Lurker5 Gold Meritorious Patron

Hi, syoung108, :wave: = and :welcome2: You can tell your stories - there are always people here who want to hear it. :yes: :drama: It helps to unload it too. Helps you - and others.

3. syoung108

syoung108 New Member

Thanks! After some years of thinking that I was a small part of a fractional minority, I can see that there is an ever-growing support network out here. When I first saw some of the posts and websites a few years ago, it was as if I'd been on a desert island for 10 years and just caught sight of a ship on the horizon.

My heartfelt thanks and appreciation goes out to the people who set up these sites!

4. TG1

TG1 Angelic Poster

Skip, what a lovely hello. Welcome to ESMB. I hope you enjoy it here and that you stay and play as long as you wish.

Also, congratulations on having created the life you want.

TG1

5. Panda Termint

Panda Termint Cabal Of One

:welcome: Glad to hear that you're doing well. :welcome:

6. Lulu Belle

Lulu Belle Moonbat

15 years for me too. YAY!!!! :runaround:

7. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent Silver Meritorious Patron

Hello Skip,
    Your name is vaguely familiar.
    Thanks for your very focused first post. Influencing people off the fence is
    very helpful. They need encouragement and courage. They are afraid.
    We were all there once. Or twice... or three times. :)

Welcome and have fun here! :yes:

8. Dean Blair

Dean Blair Silver Meritorious Patron

Hello Skip,

Welcome to ESMB. I am happy to see you made it out and have recovered. Your story is interesting and I look forward to reading the rest of it.

9. GreyWolf

GreyWolf Gold Meritorious Patron

Welcome to the board and please, tell your stories. :thumbsup:

10. Petey C

Petey C Silver Meritorious Patron

Welcome to the board and congratulations on being 15 years out! Your story resonated with me, specially the bit about finding out that nothing bad happens when you leave Scn. In fact, lots of good things can happen, as you've found out.

I'm interested in finding out how you dealt with the scn gap in your resume. I did it when I left by putting down my eight years with "CSI" in LA and Florida which I described as an organisation that published self-help books, and rolled all my posts together into a statement that said I'd done various jobs including X, Y and Z. It worked a charm and no-one even asked a question about it in my various job interviews. Now it's so long ago I don't even include it in my CV.

11. smartone

smartone My Own Boss

Welcome! It's extremely good that you post about life out of scientology to those who are procrastinating. Life definitely is good! No STRESS! :fly2:

12. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

Welcome Skip! :yes:

I enjoyed this post (the OP). :thumbsup:

I understand what you mean when you say "I missed the 80's"
    I also missed them as well. :ohmy:

Did anything important happen during that decade? :unsure::coolwink:

13. scooter

scooter Gold Meritorious Patron

:welcome: Skip - glad to have you here and posting.

Moar story? :drama:

14. WildKat

WildKat Gold Meritorious Patron

Great opener Skip!! Welcome to the club and well done for thriving on the outside!

You'll find lots of kindred spirits here.

15. Happy Days

Happy Days Silver Meritorious Patron

:welcome: Skip.

Hope you hang around for awhile and tell us your journey.

There's a great bunch of people here :yes:

:thumbsup:

16. TrevAnon

TrevAnon Big List researcher

17. xenusdad

xenusdad Patron with Honors

Hi Skip, welcome :)

18. Ogsonofgroo

Ogsonofgroo Crusader

:welcome: Skip!

Awesome first post, enjoy your stay! :fire:

19. Dilettante

Dilettante Patron Meritorious

:happydance: Good to have you here!
    Great write up so far. :thumbsup:
    Dil

20. Mest Lover

Mest Lover Not Sea Org Qualified

YIPEEEEE, Alive and Free! Yes, welcome to the board of SCN truth and freedom.