ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Picket Signs

Discussion in 'Other Locations Pickets and Protests' started by Dulloldfart, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

That's actually far better than mine, Mark. Thanks very much. :)

[​IMG]

Paul

2. Dulloldfart

Multi-Message Picket Signs

[​IMG]

I haven't added a handle yet, but one of my to-be-lettered signs consists of:

1. A 190-micron (heavy-gauge) transparent plastic sleeve (Standard A2 size, 420 x 609 mm)
    2. A 5 mm thick foamboard (A2 size)
    3. Card in different colours (A2 size).

I bought all the above in an art shop. Costs were £1.28 plastic sleeve; £2.45 foamboard; £1.60 for 2 sheets of card.

Paper would probably do instead of card, but card slides into the sleeve easier. The foamboard keeps the sign rigid. Cardboard from a carton would probably work.

Friction holds it all together. The plastic sleeve keeps it all dry if it rains. To change the sign merely requires sliding in another sheet of card, or turning over an existing piece.

Paul

3. Zinjifar

Zinjifar Silver Meritorious Sponsor

Handle: I still highly recommend the kind of PVC pipe you can get at a home improvement center. 1/2" to 3/4" or anything in between.

Light, shatterproof, non-threatening and practically indestructible

Poserboard is attached with self-tapping screws.

Zinj

4. Poofy

Poofy Patron with Honors

No poles. Poles are banned as they are considered weapons.

5. Zinjifar

What's a 'pole'?

Broomstick, yes, that's a pole and wouldn't be well accepted. Same for pool cues :)

Zinj

6. Poofy

Poofy Patron with Honors

I think cardboard poles were ok. You'll have to check to make sure though.

7. Zinjifar

I used a 3/4" PVC 8' pipe in 3 cities I can remember and for about a dozen pickets with no objections :)

Naturally, had there ever been a question, I would have stopped using it, but, there wasn't. 5/8" is probably just as good actually.

Zinj

8. Dulloldfart

Is 8' a good length, Zinj? Or would shorter be better?

Paul

9. Zinjifar

8' is probably too long for most circumstances, but, it came in very handy for the CC, which had high hedges :)

I'd say 5' is ideal, since the sign itself takes up room and you want leverage to hold it.

If you want to get fancy, you can use a smaller pipe inside a wider one so it can telescope :)

With holes to stick a pin through

Zinj

10. Dulloldfart

Thanks Zinj. Hadn't thought about the telescoping idea. Quite smart, really. You can stand it on the ground if you get tired of holding it. Or some CofS guy stands in front of you with a CofS sign. Or you back hurts and you want to take your high heels off for a bit. :)

Paul

11. Zinjifar

The pole used in 'Xenu Goes To Hollywood' is one of the original 4 of the 'X' 'E' 'N' 'U' signs with a new poster.

Another nice things about the pvc, they're almost infinitely re-usable

Zinj

12. Lovesnightsky

Lovesnightsky Silver Meritorious Patron

Wow, didn't know you wore heels darling! That would make you 6'4" tall!!!
    I know that message was just for me :D

13. Zinjifar

Aha! he *is* a shoe-fetishist! :)

Zinj

14. neiljung

neiljung Patron with Honors

DM calls them elevator shoes, or "built-up" shoes. Whatever floats his boat.

15. Dulloldfart

Or 5'8". :)

Paul

16. Dulloldfart

What size screws do you use? How many? Presumably washers too.

Paul

17. Lovesnightsky

Lovesnightsky Silver Meritorious Patron

Have you been telling me porkies Paul??

tut tut

Good colours are Red and Black. Black for the main text and red for anything to stand out, such as a url. and don't put www. in front of the URL, it's not necessary. i.e. paulsrobot.com is all you need.

18. Dulloldfart

Thanks, Nightie.

I'm 6'0" bare.

Paul

19. Zinjifar

I used 1/2" long self tappings with a wide base, so, no washer needed. They're commonly available.

The only work involved is drilling the holes in the pipe, which should be very small 'pilot' holes. The screw does the rest. For people without a hand-drill, you can use a common awl or just pound a nail through to make the hole.

2 to each side work fine.

It's not 'rocket science' :)

Zinj

20. Dulloldfart

Thanks, Zinji. Oh, hang on. What do you mean by "each side"? Surely you just attach the pipe to one side of the board?

Paul