What's new

Police Raid Church of Scientology in Turin, Italy

AnonLover

Patron Meritorious
Grazi allarme! thanks for the answer to my question & for all the infos on your fabulous website! It's good to know the italian front is covered when we need it most!

So... an Ideal Morgue was raided by police, before it even went ideal! How fitting! :p

Telepathetic

Gold Meritorious Patron
Grazi allarme! thanks for the answer to my question & for all the infos on your fabulous website! It's good to know the italian front is covered when we need it most!

So... an Ideal Morgue was raided by police, before it even went ideal! How fitting! :p

Actually, this would be an *Ideal Org.* :D

TP

mnql1

Patron Meritorious
La Stampa, May 21, 2010

Translation of an Italian article in La Stampa, May 21, 2010, page 62. Thanks to the Allarme Scientology website, which has the text of the articles that are otherwise available only by subscription to La Stampa.

Maxi sequestro di dossier alla chiesa di Scientology di Torino, 20 maggio 2010

New Documents from the Scientology Archive

by Massimo Numa

May 21, 2010

The investigation into Scientology launched by the prosecutor's office and the mobile squad is proceeding. The subject is the secret archives at the premises on Via Bersezio, where hundreds of personal files are (still) kept on followers, both former and current members of the organization.

Disturbing stories are emerging about the processing and storage of sensitive data, for example the case of Luca Poma, a Turin journalist and writer: "I am absolutely astounded." A follower of Scientology for years, he discovered that, during the lengthy raid ordered by the prosecutor's office and conducted by the mobile squad, his PC folder (his personal file, full of sensitive data) was found in the offices of Department 20, Scientology's "police", whose task is also to "crush" enemies. To avoid getting lost in the maze of acronyms, we must explain that Poma first became a PTS - Potential Trouble Source - and then an SP - a suppressive person - that is to say a person who is irremediably hostile or connected with equally hostile circles. What did Poma do? After having taken and paid for a series of courses, he wrote an essay in which, he says, "I noted some points that did not convince me. Long story short, after a while I received a certificate letter from Scientology - signed by one of top people, informing me that I had become 'suppressive'. I found it absurd, but so much for that. I requested that the folder containing my personal - meaning sensitive - information, which is protected by privacy standards - be returned to me immediately."

After a long wait, he received another letter from the followers of L. Ron Hubbard: "The file no longer exists; it has been destroyed." Poma: "I was upset, not only because I was curious to read what the auditor wrote about me, but because I wanted to witness in person the destruction of such a sensitive and personal document".

Luca Poma has now learned that, apparently, his file had not been destroyed but that it was in the office of Department 20 on Via Bersezio, in the hands of Scientology's investigative bureau chief, Ivan V., the same person who certified - in writing - the destruction of the folder. Poma: "I asked the judicial authority if I could at least see the documents about me and then, once the investigation is closed, have them back. If there is a trial, I will join as a civil party."

Poma's PC (pre-clear, clear being the state of "absolute freedom") folder was found with files dedicated to other "enemies" of the organization, among whom some former Scientologists. To understand what this means, one simply has to browse through the pages of the powerful PTS/SP course whose subtitle is "How to confront and shatter suppression" and whose cover shows the red face of a "suppressive" shattered by a mysterious light force. The author is L. Ron Hubbard and the publisher is New Era.

In the introduction, Hubbard describes the identikit for the org's enemies "... There are two classes of enemies, the personal opponent and the political opponent. The reasons why they say they fight add up to just one reason: a guilty conscience... Scientology had no enemies until the word was out that it worked. Criminals, communists, perverted religionists alike swarmed to support a 'new fraud' ... found that the new sciences worked with, to them, deadly accuracy... and they struck with every weapon possible: the press, the courts, shady women, insane inmates, tax officials... Scientology is fought because a Scientologist can find out!" Hubbard elaborates on the effectiveness of the Hubbard electrometer. "It used to cost $18,000 and was enormous and now it's small and costs 40 pounds..." The other 268 pages describe techniques to identify and strike any PTS/SP.

Feral

Rogue male
Sounds like the secret files were on pcs. I wouldn't have guessed that there'd be a lot of Italian VIP pcs in CofS, given its bad rep.

No Fluff, while there were PC folders found. These also appear to be OSA files full of sensitive data on potential threats to the Church.
Former members of Scientology's "secret police", Dep20 (Department 20), told police what they know and had described the location of the office used by the "investigators" in the basement, which is always protected by a locked door. Their accounts proved to be accurate and reliable. Inside, scattered on desks and shelves, were files dedicated to the "enemies of Scientology", so-called suppressive persons. Magistrates, policemen, journalists, relatives of former supporters who fought to extricate their loved ones (and their money) from the Church founded by L. Ron Hubbard.

byte301

Crusader
OMG!!!

I knew wearing a nun costume at our raids would give me some special compensation from on high!

God Bless Italy!

mnql1

Patron Meritorious
La Stampa, May 20, 2010

Translation of an Italian article in La Stampa, May 20, 2010, page 48. Thanks to the Allarme Scientology website, which has the text of the articles that are otherwise available only by subscription to La Stampa.

Maxi sequestro di dossier alla chiesa di Scientology di Torino, 20 maggio 2010

A Second Repentant Former Scientologist says: "We passed on information to obtain the most money possible"

There is a second former Scientology executive who has decided to reveal (illegal) things to investigators. He worked for twelve years in Italy and northern Europe and, in the end, he was an high-level auditor (examiner). He used to be responsible for the secret archives in a city in Northern Italy.

"The worst thing, the one that still revives in me a deep crisis of conscience, is the way that the organization internally uses the sensitive data collected during sessions with an e-meter. The folders can and indeed must be viewed, monitored, verified and corrected by additional auditors, all of them ministers, like me. I was ordained at an official ceremony in Copenhagen after three years of training and preparation on a wide range of subjects, including how to hunt for and destroy enemies and persons who bring trouble. I had a black jacket, a tie, and an eight-pointed cross on my chest. I could celebrate births, weddings, and even officiate at funerals."

Do you believe that personal data, including the delicate and sensitive information, is safeguarded or protected?

"Absolutely not. We often passed on the most sensitive information, such as health status, to better design lines of intervention or to set up the new courses. Because the problem is to get the most money possible. I remember with horror the confession of a former drug addict who had contracted hepatitis C. We used this information to 'treat' him in a more complete way. We knew a lot, too much."

The "PC folders", short for "Preclear folders" ("Clear" being the state of absolute freedom), also contain a description of sexual orientations. Under interrogation by auditors, persons who aspire to become Clear confess their most delicate and embarrassing episodes and all this information is routinely transcribed.

"We knew who was gay and this could be useful to better 'hook' people by exploiting their weaknesses, their frailties. In private, we exchanged very sensitive information, even about sexual deviances."

In short, there is no real protection.

"No. Many persons could and did read the secrets of people's lives, and what is even worse is that files are kept even after someone has left Scientology, even years later. They can always be useful if X, for example, ever has the intention of attacking the Church."

Can a person get the files back?

"In theory, yes, by request. But only copies. The originals remain on the shelves in the archives, or even in Department 20," the secret police.

Last edited:

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa

Glad to see you here, allarmescientology!

Keep up the great work.

Police raids, hauling away documents, are the Ideal Scene.

It is exactly what we need.

Soon, we will see Davey doin' the Perp Walk.

The Big Karmic Ball is rolling in the right direction on the Church of Scientology.

Mockingbird6

Patron with Honors
Funny if

Wouldn't it be funny if the reason the police investigated at all was because the defamatory photocopies were sent out to silence someone and that someone showed the police what was being done and it was used as a reason to investigate? That would be a "Ricochet footbullet."

It also means that anyone being threatened with such blackmail should consider "manning up" and showing it to the police to get the blackmailers convicted.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
True! That's like a nuclear-tipped foot-bullet! :yes:

You have to remember, this is Italy. This is a country where officials were marked for death for daring to go after the Mafia. They have ZERO tolerance for Mafia-like behavior.

Maintaining blackmail files on them is going to generate a response that DM was not anticipating. The Italians will NOT fuck around. OSA risks having some of its senior people in Italy meet with "accidents".

You have to remember, this is Italy. This is a country where officials were marked for death for daring to go after the Mafia. They have ZERO tolerance for Mafia-like behavior.

Unless of course it's Berlusconi's Mob. :whistling:

Italy, the Eternal Home of Suppression since A.U.C.. :happydance:

Mark A. Baker