ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Ruth Minshull & The Tone Scale

Discussion in 'Human Potential, Self Discovery' started by The Great Zorg, Mar 9, 2010.

View Users: View Users
  1. The Great Zorg

The Great Zorg Gold Meritorious Patron

I seem to recall back in the 70's that one of the best books I read was written by Ruth Minshull. She went into detail about hubbard's tone scale shovel-fulls.

I remember thinking that Ruth had simplified what at that time seemed to be typical, complicated hubbard rantings and hypno-sci-fi. I used to think there was something wrong with me because I just didn't 'get' what he was dribbling on about. Turns out that I did get it - his dribblings were not workable or had hidden exploitation and programming. I bought and read her book: it was so clear! Then hubbard declares her as a squirrel! Figures.

Nonetheless, I recall believing that I had stumbled across great knowledge, simplified by Ruth. In recent hindsight I realized that I had bought her data, like I had hubbard's con, without question. Now I question it. I question whether or not the sequence and grouping is correct. I question the explanations from Ruth as to the root cause of the tones and emotions. I now understand that I have used the tone scale for decades, as a rule of thumb and benchmark when dealing with everyone and anyone. Now I realize that the data and conclusions may have been or even probably are: false.

The Great Zorg is thinking: (No wonder I stopped my self-deprogramming a year or two ago! Too much introspection to handle all at once!).

Any ideas and comments about the tone scale and Ruth's approach to it?

2. freemefree

freemefree Patron with Honors

I love her book and I have an audio version. I listen to it in the car about once every other month.

:D:D:D

3. byte301

byte301 Crusader

She also wrote a book about handling kids. It was really well done. I lent it to a wog friend who used some of the techniques on her kids and they worked like a charm.

Figures elron would declare her. He just couldn't stand to share the spotlight.
    Plus she was a better writer imo.

That must have really frosted his balls.

4. nw2394

nw2394 Silver Meritorious Patron

Actually I don't think Hubbard called her a squirrel. If I remember the time line correctly, the non LRH books were published by GOWW and just before the GOWW got disbanded (when DM was coming to power), GOWW got told to pull all the non LRH books (as they had "other fish to fry"). So it looks more like DM trying to cut off the income stream into GOWW, than anything to do with Hubbard.

Could be wrong about the above - but it makes sense to me.

Nick

5. freemefree

I also liked

How to Have Money and The Fundamental's of Success. I think both by Peter Gillham.

I wander why they were first oked my the church then declared. Was it hubbard or after hubbard. I actually have a check sheet for courses that were once offered on these book at the church.

It seems so silly to make things more complicated:no:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  6. freemefree

Yeah Miracles for breakfast. I gave it to my sister and her kids are totally new kids. Not the evil little brats they were before!

7. byte301

byte301 Crusader

Thank you! I had totally forgotten the title!:)

8. skollie

skollie Silver Meritorious Patron

I loved "Miracles for Breakfast" and bought many as gifts for pregnant friends.

It was "How to choose your people"

9. slimjim

slimjim Patron with Honors

she has a little site, and she's in wikipedia! http://ruthminshull.com/about/

I loved her book too and was really disappointed I couldn't buy it.

And she COULD write whereas I could never figure out why educated people thought he was a good writer.

Anyway, I'm glad she's still around, I think she lives in Ann Arbor.

10. AnonKat

AnonKat Crusader

That is a postulate right? I mean how to HAVE money instead of how to MAKE money.

11. Blue Spirit

Blue Spirit Silver Meritorious Patron

Ruth's Books

I agree with most of the above. Minshull could write very well and did clarify

into useful form LRH's sometimes obfuscating writing style.

Also add to the above, "Ups And Downs" which describes SP's and their effects

better than Hubbard could, it seems to me. I just re-read it.

The prices are not cheap anymore, but all 3 books should be available on the

net at Barnes & Noble "Used and Rare Books" category, or elsewhere.

12. skollie

skollie Silver Meritorious Patron

13. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

14. freemefree

I have all the books mentions here in PDF form. If anyone wants them you can send me a PM.

15. apple

apple Patron Meritorious

These are two of the better books that I read when in Scn. Miracles for Breakfast, a delight to read. Also Fundamentals of Success it was common sense and helped me make and save money. Then they were banned from the cults bookstore. I just figured Hubbard wanted all the glory and didnt want to be compared to good writers, too strong of competition.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  16. Big Fan...

Holy cats! She's still alive and has her own blog!!!

Yes, I've read all her early Scientology books...wonder if she's out or in the freezone by now? Has anybody communicated with her?

MAYBE SHE'S HERE ALREADY!!! Sorry, I got excited...:happydance:

17. freemefree

I have not had any contact with her, but my auditor has and actually recorded her reading her book, How To Choose Your People, a few years back.

She has a sweet and endearing voice.

18. Oh, good!

Ooooh, thanks so much for sharing that tidbit of information...:happydance: O.K. that's definately squirrel so she must be out and an indy...Yippee!!! :happydance:

19. freemefree

She is definitely out and indy.

20. The Great Zorg

The Great Zorg Gold Meritorious Patron

That 70's Cult.

I seem to recall in the 70's, maybe early 80's that her book was banned from the org bookstore as the old clam himself claimed it was squirrel tech, so he was still alive and nit-picking at the time. :grouch:

I agree with all the comments posted: she is a fine writer and her book(s) was (is) fun and inspiring! :thumbsup:

I too had forgotten about her other books. :melodramatic:

Come to think of it, that is so totally weird: one of my best reads when 'in' scio back in the 70's and 80's was written by someone else! Funny that! :yes: