What's new

Scientologists Continue Cover Up of Suicide of Steve Brackett

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
He may not necessarily have discovered the truth about OT levels. He may just have been in desperate financial trouble and feeling the hopeless pit of despair descending, knowing he couldn't "make it go right" any longer and being inevitably labelled (by himself or others) as a "DB/PTS/insert whatever stupid scientology judgements here".

Condolences to his family. This is too sad.
That would be my guess, rather than dissapointment that the 'bridge' is a lie..

I became convinced that I was an SP.. When I realized that the whole sham was.. a sham.. It was actually a very profound relief for me.

The realization came slowly.. But when it came I got a new zest for life. I enjoyed that I did have a right to live!

:yes:

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron
It makes me think.

I know a lot of people who were in Scientology for up to 30 years and gave up every thing for the cult. They were often depressed and in shock for some time when they first learned the truth of the scam. The betrayal runs so deep and is facilitated by so many lies.

What of a man who had donated a million dollars who was now in serious financial trouble, watching his empire collapse?.

Then he discovers there are no OTs and the serious scam behind the current church.

I certainly found it a lot to take when I discovered the truth, I'm surely not alone in that.

I fear this is not going to be the last.

Originally Posted by Free to shine
He may not necessarily have discovered the truth about OT levels. He may just have been in desperate financial trouble and feeling the hopeless pit of despair descending, knowing he couldn't "make it go right" any longer and being inevitably labelled (by himself or others) as a "DB/PTS/insert whatever stupid scientology judgements here".

Condolences to his family. This is too sad.

I became convinced that I was an SP.. When I realized that the whole sham was.. a sham.. It was actually a very profound relief for me.

The realization came slowly.. But when it came I got a new zest for life. I enjoyed that I did have a right to live!

It could be either one of these. I remember how despondent I felt after realizing I'd wasted 10 year and tens of thousands, but I also remember the self-loathing when I was "in" I thought I was an SP or a DB. Like you Schwimmy it was a huge relief when I realized that I was OK and that I had something positive to offer in this world.

I'm afraid that you are right Feral. I think there are going to be others too. Sometimes we think of this as a fun game -- to watch the CofS implode, but there is a very real human toll; both for the people who are in and are being made "guilty" because they aren't OT, and also the people who are waking up. They are going to need a lot of support.

-TL

AnonOrange

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm afraid that you are right Feral. I think there are going to be others too. Sometimes we think of this as a fun game -- to watch the CofS implode, but there is a very real human toll; both for the people who are in and are being made "guilty" because they aren't OT, and also the people who are waking up. They are going to need a lot of support.
-TL

Very important comment. There is/will be a huge human toll but it's necessary. I think it's worse if people leave one-by-one, stay alone and don't consult ex-scientologists/critics. I would like to see a swift world wide collapse of scientology so everyone becomes an ex, together.

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron

We'll probably never know. It's truly beyond sad. After reading tons of pc folders (I was nosy and had access) and KRs on current staff (was nosy and 'gave' myself access), I was stunned how many folks were suicidal. We had a notary republic on call for folks to swear on affidavits that it "wasn't the church", it was the nonapplication of tech and ethics to one's own life. Makes me sick. Quite a few of our tech team had been on suicide watch at one time or another. My ex-cult counselor told me that the highest rate of suiciders, from his experience came from Scio. Still remember him coming in one night not looking like his bright, shiny, normal self and getting him to cough up that another ex took their life. He said some folks just don't come back.... Honestly, it's stuff like that that keeps me fighting. I don't want to become one of their "success stories". Seriously, I think they probably actually gloat when one who leaves the fold kills themselves. They assume it's because they left....when they just haven't recovered from the damage. Just wait for the PR spin to explain away why someone 'in' would do this. It has to be coming. This was a person's LIFE....and it will become nothing more than a PR 'sit'. These bastards are starting to piss me off more and more....

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Just wait for the PR spin to explain away why someone 'in' would do this. It has to be coming.

I don't think they will touch it other than to say — if pushed — this is a private family matter and it would not be appropriate for a bloodsucking cult in the cross-hairs to comment further.

Paul

FinallyFree

Gold Meritorious Patron
Wow. Just wow. A scientologist commits suicide – a OT no less. If the churchies only knew.

Do you guys know how much money Nancy Cartwright alone had donated? I heard the new “IAS” Statuses were made up because of the amount they have squeezed out of people like Nancy? My and HE was donating to Super Power – the never ending money pit. The Super Power money pit reminds me of the pit in 300. “This is Spartan!!!”. Let’s push DM down that pit!

Ladybird

Silver Meritorious Patron
We'll probably never know. It's truly beyond sad. After reading tons of pc folders (I was nosy and had access) and KRs on current staff (was nosy and 'gave' myself access), I was stunned how many folks were suicidal. We had a notary republic on call for folks to swear on affidavits that it "wasn't the church", it was the nonapplication of tech and ethics to one's own life. Makes me sick. Quite a few of our tech team had been on suicide watch at one time or another. My ex-cult counselor told me that the highest rate of suiciders, from his experience came from Scio. Still remember him coming in one night not looking like his bright, shiny, normal self and getting him to cough up that another ex took their life. He said some folks just don't come back.... Honestly, it's stuff like that that keeps me fighting. I don't want to become one of their "success stories". Seriously, I think they probably actually gloat when one who leaves the fold kills themselves. They assume it's because they left....when they just haven't recovered from the damage. Just wait for the PR spin to explain away why someone 'in' would do this. It has to be coming. This was a person's LIFE....and it will become nothing more than a PR 'sit'. These bastards are starting to piss me off more and more....

Me too, Clamicide, I had access to tons of ethics folders and PC folders of staff and pulic. People would be shocked at just how NON-confidential their folders are and how their private information is shared with execs, reges, recruiters, auditors, Ethics officers, DSA, OSA, etc.

It is also true that an amazing number of scientologists had suicidal thoughts.

Here is an excerpt from "Information Disease: Have Cults created a New Mental Illness?" by Flo Conway and Jim Siegelman. Science Digest January 1982 pp86-92]

"A very effective thought control technique could also be worked out from
Scientology, which could be used to make individuals into willing slaves."
-L Ron Hubbard

...[description of the authors' research into the long term effects of
involvement with various cults]

"Two groups in particular showed signs of inflicting the most
severe physical, mental and emotional harm on their members: the Hare
Krishna and the Church of Scientology. Among all groups, Krishna and
Scientology tied with the Unification Church in reports of physical
deprivation. Their members reported getting the least sleep per night and
having the most deficient daily diet.
The rituals of the Church of Scientology bear little resemblance
to those of any other cult. With its extensive program of "training
regimens" and expensive "auditing" counseling, Scientology operates
successfully as both religion and mass-marketed therapy. According to
those who responded to our survey, however, Scientology's may be the most
debilitating set of rituals of any cult in America. Onetime Scientologists
who answered our questionnaire reported that it took them, on the average,
more than two years (26 months) before they felt fully rehabilitated- more
than *twice* the time of those from other major cults [Hare Krishna: 11.1
months, Divine Light Mission: 12.3 months].

Moreover, former Scientologists surpassed all others in reported
incidents of physical punishment while in the group (35 percent) and, upon
departure, they claimed the highest rates of sexual dysfunction (22
percent), violent outbursts (28 percent) [average is 14 percent],
hallucinations and delusions (28 percent) [average is also 14 percent] and
suicidal or self-destructive tendencies (44 percent) [average is 21%].

On average, former Scientologists surveyed reported more than *twice* the
combined negative effects of all the other cult groups.

Ironically, although claiming the most severe long-term effects,
former Scientologists surveyed reported the *lowest* total of hours
per week spent in ritual and indoctrination. This apparent discrepancy
seems to support opinions we have expressed earlier that, in combination,
Scientology's training regimens and "auditing" counseling sessions
(conducted on an E-meter, a kind of crude lie detector) may have an
intensifying and compounding effect on the nervous system that goes beyond
that of simpler cult rituals. And that, *hour for hour, Scientology's
techniques may be more than twice as damaging as those of any other major
cult in America!* In our view, this could be a vital direction for further
research by scientists working in the field of neurophysiology.

"The overall impact? Devastating!" wrote one ex-member. "I still
tend to view the world in Scientological terms: 'Truth is only an
illusion.' 'People are robots.' 'People are basically insane and dangerous.'"
Another was even more bitter: "The only thing I got out of this scam was
deep suicidal depression coinciding with the fear of death within five
years after separation. We were told that ninety percent of all 'refund
cases' eventually commit suicide."

--

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
Me too, Clamicide, I had access to tons of ethics folders and PC folders of staff and pulic. People would be shocked at just how NON-confidential their folders are and how their private information is shared with execs, reges, recruiters, auditors, Ethics officers, DSA, OSA, etc.

It is also true that an amazing number of scientologists had suicidal thoughts.

Here is an excerpt from "Information Disease: Have Cults created a New Mental Illness?" by Flo Conway and Jim Siegelman. Science Digest January 1982 pp86-92]

--

You GO! I don't know what's happening to me, but over the last week, I'm just getting more and more pissed off. The folks on ESMB are only the numbers that managed to get online and not be afraid to post. I'm finally, truly sick of it. I'm sorta raging....

RolandRB

Rest in Peace
Mods, please change subject to

Scientologists Continue Cover Up of Suicide of Steve Brackett

http://thebluemelreader.blogspot.com/2009/06/scientologists-continue-cover-up-of.html

Saturday, June 6, 2009
Scientologists Continue Cover Up of Suicide
In my last blog I reported on the death of Steve Brackett, a Scientologist who committed suicide over money trouble. [1] Rank and file Scientologists have decided to lie about Brackett’s death by saying he died in a head-on collision.

Then they are telling the truth. His head collided on the rocks below.

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron

You're right about the gloating over suicides - I got that from several CLO members (including OSA terminals) whenever it happened - it was pushed "quietly" as a "success story" for the "Church" that an ex/enemy had committed suicide.

NonScio

Patron Meritorious
Well, the guy spent $10,000,000 or more buying
scientology's "Bridge". In the end, he dove to his death off
a real Bridge. Symbolic? Poetic? Some sort
of Cosmic Joke?

Wisened One

Crusader
God, that's sad! :sad:

We KNOW his 'financial problems' stemmed from giving all his money to IAS BS, and The Bridge to Total Scamdom! :angry: :sad: :angry: :sadsigh:

Stuff like this, makes me realize how many rich celeb scio's and wealthy scis in general are the ones funding Co$'s 'war on sp's' crap!

I quit paying for ANY TC movies, DVD's....not that one person doing this helps anything, but STILL.....

I also quit paying for any JT movies/DVD's too!

It's the principal of the thing! :hmmph:

FinallyFree

Gold Meritorious Patron
Well, the guy spent $10,000,000 or more buying
scientology's "Bridge". In the end, he dove to his death off
a real Bridge. Symbolic? Poetic? Some sort
of Cosmic Joke?
None of the above. It is just plain sad. What did Flag do to help this guy after they took all of that money from him? Nothing, my evidence? The guy isn’t with us any longer is he?

FinallyFree

Gold Meritorious Patron
God, that's sad! :sad:

We KNOW his 'financial problems' stemmed from giving all his money to IAS BS, and The Bridge to Total Scamdom! :angry: :sad: :angry: :sadsigh:

Stuff like this, makes me realize how many rich celeb scio's and wealthy scis in general are the ones funding Co$'s 'war on sp's' crap!

I quit paying for ANY TC movies, DVD's....not that one person doing this helps anything, but STILL.....

It's the principal of the thing! :hmph:

Man! I go through a thread and make 3 posts in a row! Oh well! I too cannot being myself to support JT or TC (let alone Kristy Alley and ALLLLLL the others). I can't. I am curios about Valkyrie, but I can’t bring myself to watch it. I don’t know do you think that makes “us” more like “them” – or do you think it’s just not being willing t support someone who is blinding spreading the lies of scientology?

DCAnon

Man! I go through a thread and make 3 posts in a row! Oh well! I too cannot being myself to support JT or TC (let alone Kristy Alley and ALLLLLL the others). I can't. I am curios about Valkyrie, but I can’t bring myself to watch it. I don’t know do you think that makes “us” more like “them” – or do you think it’s just not being willing t support someone who is blinding spreading the lies of scientology?

It's a sucky movie anyways. :no: Don't worry, I don't think entertainment is the same thing as looking at both sides of a debate to figure out what's right. They're just movies, they're made to make money.

FinallyFree

Gold Meritorious Patron
It's a sucky movie anyways. :no: Don't worry, I don't think entertainment is the same thing as looking at both sides of a debate to figure out what's right. They're just movies, they're made to make money.

Thanks DC! I guess I will skip it - I have a long list of movies to work through anyhew - movies I WANT to see and aren't just merely curious.

skollie

It's the principal of the thing! :hmmph:

I think there are a lot of people who feel the same and every bit does make a difference. I know a lot of people who feel the same way about not supporting them. I've reached a point of not being able to watch them for free!

Good twin

Floater
You're right about the gloating over suicides - I got that from several CLO members (including OSA terminals) whenever it happened - it was pushed "quietly" as a "success story" for the "Church" that an ex/enemy had committed suicide.

My husband was routed to ethics for a handling when one of our friends found out he was declared and killed himself. The MAA told my husband, "good, another dead SP". My husband said "but he was our friend". The MAA let him know that was why he was sent to ethics. :yes: