What's new

Scientology erects giant mural in downtown Clearwater

Anonycat

Crusader
b4s_scientologymural102913_11817095_8col.jpg

CLEARWATER — An enormous mural draped Monday over a massive tent that was erected downtown by the Church of Scientology might violate city sign laws, city officials said.

The church, which didn't alert the city in advance about the mural, later told the city's planning director that it's a religious symbol.

Planning director Michael Delk said he will have to determine how much of the mural is signage and how much is symbol.
Related News/Archive

-- Giant 'Super Power' building in Clearwater takes a pause, yet millions keep flowing in

"We don't issue permits for Christmas trees," Delk said. "But we do regulate signage for churches."

Delk said he would talk more Tuesday with church representatives to make that determination. The city strictly regulates the size and number of signs that may be erected on a property, but the Scientology mural dwarfs even the largest billboards referenced in city codes.

Sunset aficionados on the way to Clearwater Beach Monday afternoon had the best view of the colorful mural erected by workers, who looked like mountain climbers as they hung from ropes above the multi-story tent, which is located at the intersection of Court Street and S Garden Avenue.

The draping, which covers both the eastern and western sides of the tent, has a multi-hued design that appears to contain the letters K, S and W (letters the church uses as an acronym for "Keep Scientology Working"), plus sketches of water, a sun and portions of a bridge. Near the top are the words "The Golden Age of Tech," a reference to Scientology's growing use of technology in recent years.

A church spokesman did not return a phone call and email requesting comment and more detail about what the mural represents.

The church erected the tent in August for a planned Nov. 8-9 gathering of the International Association of Scientologists. But minutes after the church submitted an application for a city special events permit for that date, it withdrew the request and hasn't submitted anything else.

Normally held in England, the IAS gathering this year was moved to Clearwater, the church's spiritual headquarters, possibly because the church's long-delayed Flag Building is expected to officially open soon. The dedication of the Flag Building, which has cost the church around $145 million to build and occupies an entire city block, was originally tentatively scheduled for Oct. 6, but later delayed.

Many church observers and some in city government suspect that the church plans to combine the two events and hold them within the next few weeks. The church has remained silent.

City officials were unaware that the mural was being installed until asked about it by the Tampa Bay Times.

Complete article: http://www.tampabay.com/news/scient...ts-giant-mural-in-downtown-clearwater/2149622

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
The draping, which covers both the eastern and western sides of the tent, has a multi-hued design that appears to contain the letters K, S and W (letters the church uses as an acronym for "Keep Scientology Working"),

It would be nice if the article explained for readers what "KSW" really mean't and perhaps they could quote certain passages. :coolwink:

Purple Rain

Crusader

The fact that they chose KSW to paint is so ironic I had to laugh out loud! In the first place, with all the squirreling Miscavige has been doing, he's got a hell of a nerve - and in the second place Scientology is so the opposite of working at the moment that the "keeping" part is completely inapplicable. The wheels have fallen off and the axle's dragging its way through the mud, and they consider that working?? It seems pretty broke to me.

Edit: Also what is Miscavige's fixation with big?? Everything has to be big. Big buildings, big signs. Lol!

Anonycat

Crusader
It would be nice if the article explained for readers what "KSW" really mean't and perhaps they could quote certain passages. :coolwink:

On one hand I agree, but on the other, it would mean explaining the lies and propaganda side of the cult. That is a tricky thing for journalists to do. That's one of the things that make forums so important.

Last edited:

In present time

Gold Meritorious Patron

Anonycat

Crusader
The fact that they chose KSW to paint is so ironic I had to laugh out loud! In the first place, with all the squirreling Miscavige has been doing, he's got a hell of a nerve - and in the second place Scientology is so the opposite of working at the moment that the "keeping" part is completely inapplicable. The wheels have fallen off and the axle's dragging its way through the mud, and they consider that working?? It seems pretty broke to me.

If I wanted to make Tom and John get all excited when they flew their jets in, KSW is the spot that gets them hot. Well played DM. Now get that mural down.

Purple Rain

Crusader
and to think "clear channel radio" swooped into portland and made everyone cover up their murals. cc won in court that these murals were advertising even though the depicted only artistic scenes, with no lettering at all.
if clear channel has any kind of foothold in CW, they could this on.
oh, my, god..l it is a RELIGIOUS symbol.

Lol! It's certainly an attempt to get forgiveness rather than permission for violating the city's signage codes!

aegerprimo

Summa Cum Laude

Edit: Also what is Miscavige's fixation with big?? Everything has to be big. Big buildings, big signs. Lol!
Happens with people who have an inferiority complex - or small penis size. :eyeroll:

I can see Little Davey bunched up on the floor inside, under the Giant Muriel,
saying over and over,
"I AM winning"
"I AM winning"
"I AM winning"
"I AM winning"

Anonycat

Crusader
The KSW spot! Davey knows all the right buttons!

"So for me, it really is KSW, it's just like this, it's something that ... duh ... I don't mince words with that."

"When I read it I just went POOPH!" -- Tom Cruise

0:38

[video=youtube;qAazOuBXl0o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAazOuBXl0o[/video]

aegerprimo

Summa Cum Laude
"So for me, it really is KSW, it's just like this, it's something that ... duh ... I don't mince words with that."

LOL! And... THAT makes a lot of sense! :screwy: (Can't watch that video and NOT cringe throughout).

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
I fixed it for you

saying over and over,
"I AM winning"
"I AM winning"
Kicks back another shot of scotch
"I AM winning"
"I AM winning"

Background music:
[video=youtube;HqIY3NfoYvw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqIY3NfoYvw[/video]

Out-Ethics

Patron Meritorious

DM shouting his orders in a high squeeky voice to his minions as they prepare to put up BAT(Big Ass Tent). "There are 3 ways to do this. MY WAY! MY WAY! MY WAY! DOOO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR!"

Minions, "YES YOUR SHORTNESS!"

Minion talking to Minion In-Charge. "What exactly is his way?"

Minion In-Charge. "No clue. Just make it bigger than anything around. His Shortness enjoys that."

Gib

Crusader
saying over and over,
"I AM winning"
"I AM winning"
"I AM winning"
"I AM winning"

Nah,

lil Davey would say WE are winning, meaning the scientologists. Just as Hubbard would say "We" when he wanted to included everybody to make it sound like a group effort.

But, as you know Hybbard also said "I" when he discovered the pretended technology to free man,

although he stole that technology, pretended as it is.

So lil Davey will say "we" as Hubbard did,

and lil Davey will say "I" as in he discovered the lost tech, or the SP's that corrupted the tech back when Hubbard was running the show,

but, of course, nobody connects the dots like how could a SP be in the Sea Org, Sea Org being the protector of the tech & getting ethics in, and the ultimate in detecting SP's. The ultimate SP was Xenu, which of course hubbard nearly lost his life finding out that truth, LOL

but yet he couldn't detect the SP David Mayo who audited him, LOL

Now, I am, after writing that above, :roflmao:,

for what a sales pitch the whole thing is. :laugh:

Anonycat

Crusader
That must be why the tent had to be up months in advance - so you can't hear DM yelling at 120 decibels, or a P.A. system
from the outside.

Photo montage!

david-miscavige-34.jpg
tom-john-kirstie-scientology-wide.jpg
2410553500_3c47b981d6_b.jpg
squirellbusters.jpg
leah-remini-scientology.jpg
James_Whittemore-259x300.jpg
Luis_Garcia-300x276.jpg

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! TOM CRUISE!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!