What's new

Scientology's company store

Perhaps you have heard the song by Tennesse Ernie Ford called: "The Company Store" It is about a man who is in debt to the company store. In the mining days of the 30's, 40's and earlier, the mines held their workers as virtual slaves -They provided them with housing which they deducted from a miners pay, and they paid them scrip. The problem with scrip is it was only redeemable a the company store, and everything in the store costs more than it would in an outside store. It is sort of a barter system, except you can't dicker. It is also known as the "Truck" system. The purpose was to keep the miners in debt so they couldn't save up any money and leave - it created a slave society.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck_system
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixteen_Tons

According to Travis, the line from the chorus "another day older and deeper in debt" was a phrase often used by his father, a coal miner himself.[4] This and the line "I owe my soul to the company store" is a reference to the truck system and to debt bondage. Under this scrip system, workers were not paid cash; rather they were paid with non-transferable credit vouchers which could be exchanged for only goods sold at the company store. This made it impossible for workers to store up cash savings. Workers also usually lived in company-owned dormitories or houses, the rent for which was automatically deducted from their pay. In the United States the truck system and associated debt bondage persisted until the strikes of the newly formed United Mine Workers and affiliated unions forced an end to such practices.

We all have see how Scientology runs it's book stores, you can buy Scientology books, lectures etc for higher than market value. Clearly it is a money making venture. But did you know INT has one for the SO members? Yep they do - if you want to buy unscented shampoo, sanitary napkins etc, you can't just waltz into town. You go to the store since they are in perpetual lock down. And how do you purchase said items? With your measly pay. Your $50 provided you get any, or it wasn't taken to buy Corny Cob a new ride for his latest soaring stats - number of mentions in a tabloid. You would think that sort of personal stuff would be provided by the SO but no, INT's SO staff are sheep to be shorn just like the rest of us. Lord knows they aren't supposed to save any of their hard earned cash... And don't think their pay is adjusted for inflation either.
Mimsey

[video=youtube;Joo90ZWrUkU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Joo90ZWrUkU[/video]

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
sea ogres are not currently being stiffed for their measly $50

they're being stiffed for their measly $75

It was $10 when I joined in 1972. In the UK we got (sometimes) £4. That increased to £10 (that we usually didn't get either) sometime in the mid-70s, I think.

Paul

guanoloco

As-Wased
How about Class V bloodstock?

Ordered to purchase books that are later deemed overt products that must be destroyed and then they have to buy the corrected versions at no discount.

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
Does anyone have any legitimate sea orgy costumes for those that might feel inclined to parade around Clearwater in? The anonamous masks were good but no where near as unnerving a fully adorned sea orger outfits would be in generating the desired effect. Just so no one goes overboard and walks into an org, demanding to see their financial records and makes off with it all in the name of DM. :lol:

Continuing on with the preying on Int staff, how about mental manipulation? Take the news. Int staff is fed current news about how bad it all is out there. They are fed a diet of bad news, one presumes, to keep them motivated to clear the planet. Or, is it to make them willing slaves, not wanting to leave Int for the horrible downstat wog world?

I wonder if any of them see it as "one of the characteristics of an anti social personality" per Hubbard's red on white on the subject, and cause them to question the case state of the person feeding them the news?

Nah - that couldn't happen.

Mimsey