ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Scn and Toastmasters?

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by MafiaWog, Feb 2, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. MafiaWog

MafiaWog Patron

I was looking into the Toastmasters meetings relatively within my area, and found this:

--------------------

Renaissance Speakers - Club #: 2374, Dist #: 52, Est: 09/01/1989
    Celebrity Centre International
    5930 Franklin Ave, Hollywood, CA, 90028, United States
    Meeting Time: 9:00 a.m., Sun
    Club Status: Membership eligibility criteria required - Contact club
    (3.6 miles)
    www.renaissancespeakers.com

------------------------

The meeting's website specifically says "Guests Welcome" although membership requires some conditions.

Now I'm not saying that Toastmasters is a Scn front or anything, but, as is the case with anything hosted by or within a Scn-related entity, the first thing that popped in my mind was "potential recruiting/sales opportunities for them?"

Upon quick inspection, it does appear to be a LRH/Scn-oriented Toastmasters group, fully disclosed on the site (they even have a navigation tab entitled "Wins")

Shot in the dark, but does anyone have any first-hand experience or knowledge about this?

2. Natalie

Natalie Patron with Honors

They also have their own boy scout troops. It's all part of the facade to make them appear legit.

3. TruthRevealed

TruthRevealed Patron

This is similar in Sydney, Aus:

Sydney CBD
    Surry Hills

Renaissance Speakers (closed membership)
    Church of Scientology
    4 Hercules Street, Surry Hills

7:15 pm
    Fortnightly
    Sunday

It would be interesting to know more about this if anyone has any knowledge?

4. NCSP

NCSP Patron Meritorious

I think Tory's mentioned Toastmasters once or twice before. May want to bring it up with her.

5. Lohan2008

Lohan2008 Gold Meritorious Patron

Magoo

:bowdown: ...Magoo

6. Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid Patron Meritorious

Toastmasters Munich says on their website: No, we're not a sect, and we have not been taken over by Scientology.

Whether or not they protest too much I don't know

7. morizo

morizo Patron

8. MrNobody

MrNobody Who needs merits?

Well, on that page they say:
    Well, I know some Americans, and spent some time "over there", but the only time I've heard about the Toastmasters , it was here on ESMB. So no, I doubt they're a "natural part of public life" - neither in Germany, nor in the USA.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  9. NCSP

NCSP Patron Meritorious

I've heard of Toastmasters in other contexts than Scientology. It's kind of old-fashioned, but yeah, if they are a Scilon front it's a takeover thing, because it was founded in 1924.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toastmasters

10. JackStraw

JackStraw Silver Meritorious Patron

I've known scn C/Ss tell pcs to avoid Toastmasters as they were considered another "practice" that could interfere with their case.

Then again, I've known other C/Ss who didn't care, one way or the other.

So much for "100% standard tech." :duh:

Jack

11. freethinker

freethinker Sponsor

12. Ogsonofgroo

Ogsonofgroo Crusader

thanks NCSP, ya beat me to it, my grandpa was a member(late 20's-40's), its just a social thing and quite a friendly bunch, unlike a certain cult we know, not being surprised if CoS would try and gleep onto them as part of their social acceptance thingy, they are merciless/shameless in riding everyone else's coat-tails.

:cheers:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  13. MrNobody

MrNobody Who needs merits?

Well, from a post on WWP (Be careful with the links):
    And from www renaissancespeakers com/ (link intentionally broken):
    So far so good. Now let's look at the bottom of that page:

'nuff said.

14. practice

practice Patron with Honors

To be honest, I've always wondered about Scientology and Toastmasters myself.

I used to think Toastmasters was a purely Scientology thing (I knew a very dedicated Scientologist who seems to be just as dedicated to Toastmasters, and he gave me the impression that Toastmasters was some sort of Scientology program), and then one day I saw a Toastmasters meeting place on a university campus (I think). There was nothing there that looked Scientology related at all. It seemed so bizarre to me... completely out of sync with my understanding of reality... and made me realize that I really didn't know a thing about the connection between Scientology and Toastmasters.