What's new

Speaking effectively to Scientologists at protests

Kilgore Trout

These questions are mainly for ex-Scientologists, though I'm interested in what everyone has to say about it.

1. What would be some effective things to say to Scientologists at protests?
  2. What would be effective for them to see on signs?
One normally has about 5 seconds to talk to a Scientologist at a protest, so these need to be short, effective questions or statements designed to probe or plant doubts in their minds.

• What would you say to public scns?
  • What would you say to Sea Org members?
I imagine it would be best to target doubts that they already have, but haven't acknowledged yet.

Perhaps it would also be effective to expose lies they have been told or that the church has told the public (e.g. "Tommy Davis said on CNN that there's no such thing as disconnection" and so on).

Someone on WWP suggested "YOUR DOUBTS ARE VALID" which I think is sign-worthy.

Your input is much appreciated.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
I would like some sign directing them to a web site, with a web address that would be easy for them to remember without having to write it down.
(if seen copying down a web address on one of the protesters signs they'd no doubt end up in Ethics)

On the front page of the web site include various links that would direct them to various information as concerns the history of the CoS, truth about DM, ect. Focus on information that would make the most impact and be difficult for OSA to dead-agent, and would be most real to existing staff. Also, link to sources of help should they want to leave or just want to talk to someone who is safe.

I just saw this posted on another thread, and I think it would be helpful to read by those creating protest signs. (if you are trying to reach the staff ).
http://www.xenu.net/archive/infopack/16.htm

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
These questions are mainly for ex-Scientologists, though I'm interested in what everyone has to say about it.

1. What would be some effective things to say to Scientologists at protests?
  2. What would be effective for them to see on signs?
One normally has about 5 seconds to talk to a Scientologist at a protest, so these need to be short, effective questions or statements designed to probe or plant doubts in their minds.

• What would you say to public scns?
  • What would you say to Sea Org members?
I imagine it would be best to target doubts that they already have, but haven't acknowledged yet.

Perhaps it would also be effective to expose lies they have been told or that the church has told the public (e.g. "Tommy Davis said on CNN that there's no such thing as disconnection" and so on).

Someone on WWP suggested "YOUR DOUBTS ARE VALID" which I think is sign-worthy.

Your input is much appreciated.

I'd personally recommend you get some exes from your area to help you with signs - they'd know better how to "impinge" on the local captives.

"friendsoflrh.com" (I think that's the address) is probably THE best tool on the Net to get Scios to look closely at what's happening with them and their "religion." Put that on a sign, I'd suggest - it doesn't threaten in any way but does expose some of DM's worst "crimes" in the eyes of scientologists.

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
I finally got smart and saved this post on my computer so I don't have to redo it every time a site gets hacked.

Here's some suggestions for what to say on your signs. Side one should have something which communicates to the broad public and gives them a message about Scientology. The second side can have a message to the Scientologists, so you can turn the sign around when you are at an org.

“The only way you can control people is to lie to them”
L.Ron Hubbard - Technique 88

IF SCIENTOLOGY IS A RELIGION, THIS IS AN ALIEN INVASION

WASTE OF A GOOD TREE
-----à pic of DMSMH

SCIENTOLOGY
SUCKS
THE $ OUT OF YOUR WALLET

ANONYMOUS ADVISES NOT TO ENTER THE HAZARDOUS CULT ZONE

SCIENTOLOGY RIPS FAMILIES APART

SCIENTOLOGY PROMISES FREEDOM
DELIVERS SLAVERY

NO LOVE IN SCIENTOLOGY

SCIENTOLOGY HATES FREE SPEECH

SCIENTOLOGY:
IT'S WORSE THAN YOU THINK
www.forum.exscn.net

FAIR GO
NOT FAIR GAME

ASK ME WHY I'M WEARING A MASK

WARNING: CONTAINS TRUTH
www.xenu.net

END FORCED ABORTIONS IN THE SEA ORG

Say NO to SCIENTOLOGY FORCED ABORTIONS

WHAT KIND OF CHURCH MAKES IT’S STAFF HAVE ABORTIONS?

GOOGLE SCIENTOLOGY

SCIENTOLOGISTS ARE FORBIDDEN TO GOOGLE SCIENTOLOGY

SAY NO to SEA ORG ABORTIONS

SCIENTOLOGY DISCONNECTION DISPICABLE

NO FREE SPEECH IN SCIENTOLOGY

STOP SCIENTOLOGY SLAVE LABOUR CAMPS

"IT'S NOT 'HUMANITARIAN' TO SEPARATE LOVED ONES."

"Disconnection Sucks!"

"Scientology Breaks UP Friends and Families"

"$500,000 buys you enlightenment here!"

Scientologists are suffering from the mushroom effect - kept in the dark and fed sh*t.

"Scientology splits up families!"

The other side of the board, for scientologists, could say

"Who did Scientology make you disconnect from?"

Google Xenu

Google Operation Snow White

Google Lisa McPherson

Google OTIII

Google Operation Freakout

Google Noah Lottick

Google R2-45

DM C/S ed LISA Macpherson

Don't Blink! Don't Think!

"Scientology breaks up families,"

"Scientology is a for profit global scam"

"NO TAX EXEMPT"
"Audit (double meaning) $cientology: the Cult of Greed and Power,"

Side 2 for Scientologists

Why do we protest?
We're basically good!

XenuTV.com?
Look, don't listen!

'RECONNECT'

"This is YOUR church.
It is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to become informed about
what the church is doing in your name.
Searching the Internet is your RESPONSIBILITY."

Ever wonder why you're not allowed to use the internet?

MIKE RINDER BLEW
YOU CAN TOO

COB
IS YOUR
SP

TREAT YOUR STAFF WITH RESPECT

TIRED OF THE ABUSE?
www.exseaorg.com

THE WAY OUT IS THE NEAREST DOOR
www.exseaorg.com

DOUBT IS NOT A CRIME
www.exseaorg.com

NO MORE THURSDAY 2PM

CLEAR THE PLANET AND MISCAVIGE WILL CONTROL YOUR LIFE 24/7

TAKE BACK YOUR LIFE
www.forum.exscn.net

FREE INT EXECS IMPRISONED BY DAVID MISCAVIGE

THINK FOR YOURSELF AND YOU'RE IN TROUBLE

ALWAYS DELIVER WHAT YOU PROMISE

WHERE ARE ALL THE OLD TIMERS?

IS TODAY'S SCIENTOLOGY WHAT YOU SIGNED UP FOR 15 YEARS AGO?

GAT IS SQUIRREL

NO THURS AT 2 OUT HERE

NO TIME OR MONEY? THINK ABOUT IT.

not anti-TECH
just anti-ABUSE

HAVE YOU SEEN AN OUTPOINT?
WHY NOT PULL THE STRING.

STAFF, HOW MANY DYNAMICS DO YOU HAVE?

THERE ARE 8 DYNAMICS, NOT 1

Knowing How To Know Is Knowing When To Blow

LOOK, DON'T LISTEN exscn.net

LOOK, DONT LISTEN
google SCIENTOLOGY

"IT'S NOT THE 'GREATEST GOOD' TO DISCONNECT FROM FAMILY THAT LOVE YOU."

RECONNECT WITH YOUR FAMILY

CREED SENIOR TO MANAGEMENT

"WHERE'S MIKE RINDER? HE TOO LEFT THE CHURCH AFTER YEARS OF PHYSICAL, SPIRITUAL AND MENTAL ABUSE BY MISCAVIGE."

"EVER WONDER WHERE THE OTHER SENIOR CHURCH OFFICIALS WENT? GET THE TRUE STORY BY PEOPLE WHO RECENTLY LEFT AT XENU.NET."

"MISCAVIGE PHYSICALLY ASSAULTS HIS STAFF. DON'T JUST 'FOLLOW THE LEADER', GET INFORMED."

"DON'T TRUST YOUR RE-RE-RE-REVISED 'TECH'."

"YOU'RE BEING LIED TO ABOUT THE TRUE STATE OF THE CHURCH INTERNATIONALLY. LOOK FOR YOURSELF."

"INSOLVENT? UNDER PAID? LACK OF FAMILY TIME? MALNUTRITION? HEAVY ETHICS? INJUSTICE?"
www.exseaorg.com

" DISCONNECTION REJECTS LOVE"

" NO SEPARATION FROM LOVED ONES

" MIKE RINDER HELP US"

" FREE THOSE IN SP HALL"

" MISCAVIGE PHYSICALLY ABUSES STAFF"

" STANDARD TECH, NOT GAT"

"CHURCH STATS ARE PR LIES"

"DAVID MISCAVIGE ONLY HAS ONE DYNAMIC"

8,000,000 people have left Scientology
You can too!

I DISAGREE ---> SEC CHECK ME!

DID YOU KNOW THAT EXEC STRATA WAS DISBANDED BY COB?

EVEN RAY, NORMAN, YAGER, HEBER & ED INT WERE DECLARED BY COB.

HAVE YOU SEEN SHELLY MISCAVIGE SINCE SHE CONFIDED SHE THOUGHT HER HUSBAND WAS TYPE III?

DID YOU KNOW COB PERSONALLY C/S'D LISA MCPHERSON TO ATTEST TO CLEAR?

TOP EXECS ALL IN SP HALL.

ASK DM ABOUT INT SP HALL

RAY MITHOF DECLARED BY DM

SHELLY M SAYS DM TYPE 3

"DM has withholds, "Sec Check DM!"

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” ~ Albert Einstein

For websites, that Friends of LRH one is excellent.

There's also www.exseaorg.com

And of course, ESMB.

All easy to remember or find if you google something close.

In my readings from Scientologist who were exposed to protesters tended to say the most effective things to plant doubt where questions about money, happiness, freedom, why it wasn't working for them, etc. Basically stuff that they can directly relate to. Talking about the religion itself or about others tended to get ignored.

Example questions:

When did Scientology stop being fun?
Why is it always about the money?
How many copies of "x" do you own?
Do you feel like your getting help or just getting the hard sell?
How come you don't have any toilet paper but David Miscavige has a million dollar lifestyle?
Did you join to be yelled at?
Why don't they want you to learn about the "other side"?
How come if you're more free and able they only let you do less?
Who makes the decisions in your life, the church or you?
etc...

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
In my readings from Scientologist who were exposed to protesters tended to say the most effective things to plant doubt where questions about money, happiness, freedom, why it wasn't working for them, etc. Basically stuff that they can directly relate to. Talking about the religion itself or about others tended to get ignored.

Example questions:

When did Scientology stop being fun?
Why is it always about the money?
How many copies of "x" do you own?
Do you feel like your getting help or just getting the hard sell?
How come you don't have any toilet paper but David Miscavige has a million dollar lifestyle?
Did you join to be yelled at?
Why don't they want you to learn about the "other side"?
How come if you're more free and able they only let you do less?
Who makes the decisions in your life, the church or you?
etc...

These are all excellent questions.

Wisened One

Crusader
You know, I keep trying to think of what would be effective.

I try thinking from a scenario of myself as a once-dedicated die-hard scn staff seeing and even listening to a Protestor (or even an ex) talking to me.

WHAT would 'get me to thinking' ya know? :hmm:

And...I'm not really sure what would.....yet...:hmm:

Mystic

Crusader
One can also use words/terms with which a scifaggOT would normally be not familiar. This will kick in their "MU" implant and have to go "look it up". As to the choice of terms to use, go for it; our language is rich.

I find myself using terms which sometimes are highly descriptive but are rather esoteric, like "tulpa", "apparition", "lower psychic darkness", etc. These are terms which are very foreign to scifaggOTry.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Perhaps point out (if the person talking to the Scn'ist is an ex member) that they were once involved, too, and knew many others who'd been similarly involved and that the reasons for leaving were due to certain (give specific examples) abuses. If I were still in and someone told me that they, for example, got KRd because they stayed home with a child instead of going to an IAS event or were told to sell their real estate way under market value to the cult- it would have made me think twice.

This could then be followed up with asking the person if he'd ever experienced something unfair in the church and was told not to talk about it- with the assurance that, no, the Scn'ist doesn't have to publicly say it, you're just asking him to think and recollect. But that's only if you get a chance to actually talk to one. You couldn't fit all that on a picket sign. Those have to be pithy.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
One can also use words/terms with which a scifaggOT would normally be not familiar. This will kick in their "MU" implant and have to go "look it up". As to the choice of terms to use, go for it; our language is rich.

I find myself using terms which sometimes are highly descriptive but are rather esoteric, like "tulpa", "apparition", "lower psychic darkness", etc. These are terms which are very foreign to scifaggOTry.

I think that would not work out well at all. That's not communication. That's talking AT someone and not TO them.

All my life, in every venue, I've always explained things to people. Back when I did collections for a large bank, the borrowers in my portfolio used to not want to talk to anyone but me (if I was sick or on vacation) because I explained things to them in simple English and treated them like people who deserved to know things.

This is pretty much universal. When friends of mine who are far stronger in the sciences explain things to me, they don't use terms that I'm not gonna get. At least not on purpose. They tell me WHY. Same with friends of mine who've clued me in on all sorts of other things, whether those related to Scn forums and critics or on the job type stuff or whatever.

How about:

"I would like to indicate that........."

I'm sure there must be some endings to that which would really impinge.

Not like, "I would like to indicate that you are brainwashed"
Well, that may work on some on-the-fencers, but something like:

"I would like to indicate that you have a huge ARCX with your disconneted family members".

"I would like to indicate that you have ARCXs with senior management".

"I would like to indicate that you (something about *control).....or whatever.....

Mystic

Crusader
I think that would not work out well at all. That's not communication. That's talking AT someone and not TO them.

All my life, in every venue, I've always explained things to people. Back when I did collections for a large bank, the borrowers in my portfolio used to not want to talk to anyone but me (if I was sick or on vacation) because I explained things to them in simple English and treated them like people who deserved to know things.

This is pretty much universal. When friends of mine who are far stronger in the sciences explain things to me, they don't use terms that I'm not gonna get. At least not on purpose. They tell me WHY. Same with friends of mine who've clued me in on all sorts of other things, whether those related to Scn forums and critics or on the job type stuff or whatever.

No. Isn't that way at all.

Spirited

Patron with Honors
I'd personally recommend you get some exes from your area to help you with signs - they'd know better how to "impinge" on the local captives.

"friendsoflrh.com" (I think that's the address) is probably THE best tool on the Net to get Scios to look closely at what's happening with them and their "religion." Put that on a sign, I'd suggest - it doesn't threaten in any way but does expose some of DM's worst "crimes" in the eyes of scientologists.
I agree. its a great website and one that scios will relate to. the address is ".org"
www.friendsoflrh.org :)

Lohan2008

Gold Meritorious Patron
Topics

The controversies involving the Church and its critics, some of them ongoing, include:

Scientology's disconnection policy, in which members are encouraged to cut off all contact with friends or family members considered "antagonistic."[207]
The death of a Scientologist Lisa McPherson while in the care of the Church. (Robert Minton sponsored the multi-million dollar law suit against Scientology for the death of McPherson. In May 2004, McPherson's estate and the Church of Scientology reached a confidential settlement.)[208]
Criminal activities committed on behalf of the Church or directed by Church officials (Operation Snow White, Operation Freakout).
Conflicting statements about L. Ron Hubbard's life, in particular accounts of Hubbard discussing his intent to start a religion for profit and of his service in the military.[17]
Scientology's harassment and litigious actions against its critics encouraged by its Fair Game policy.[17]
Attempts to legally force search engines such as Google and Yahoo! to omit any webpages critical of Scientology from their search engines (and in Google's case, AdSense), or at least the first few search pages.[209]
Allegations by former high-ranking Scientologists that David Miscavige beats and demoralizes staff and that physical violence by superiors towards staff working for them is a common occurrence in the church.[210][211] Scientology spokesman Tommy Davis denied these claims and provided witnesses to rebut them.[210]
In October 2009, a French court found the Church of Scientology guilty of organized fraud. Four officers of the organization were fined and given suspended prison sentences of up to 2 years. The organization was not banned or dissolved from activities in France.[212]
In November 2009, Australian Senator Nick Xenophon used a speech in Federal Parliament to allege that the Church of Scientology is a criminal organisation. Based on letters from former followers of the religion, he said that there were "allegations of forced imprisonment, coerced abortions, and embezzlement of church funds, of physical violence and intimidation, blackmail and the widespread and deliberate abuse of information obtained by the organisation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology#Controversies

FinallyFree

Gold Meritorious Patron
How about:

"I would like to indicate that........."

I'm sure there must be some endings to that which would really impinge.

Not like, "I would like to indicate that you are brainwashed"
Well, that may work on some on-the-fencers, but something like:

"I would like to indicate that you have a huge ARCX with your disconneted family members".

"I would like to indicate that you have ARCXs with senior management".

"I would like to indicate that you (something about *control).....or whatever.....

While on staff; that would have just pissed me off. You know how scientologists are about "not evaluating" for them.

I vote no on these.

Reasonable

Silver Meritorious Patron
Useing scientology tech you have to find their ruin.

I do like " Your doubts are valid"

But I think to go from all acientology to "It doesn't work at all" is Just unrealistic to them.

I think signs like these are better becasue they still need to feel it works, when they are out they can further decide to continue in free zone or stop al together

"Scientology is better , cheaper and more standard in the Free Zone"
"I did L11, 12 and 10 for $10,000"
Good people have been declaired
I went clear for $5,000
I did my OT levels for $5000

There are more trained long time auditors outside the church than inside
Google "Free Zone"

hit them at their wallets first

Mary

Patron with Honors
The thought that got me was:

Would you really like to live in a world run by Scn Orgs?