ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

The Detroit Org

Discussion in 'Staff "War Stories"' started by Dean Blair, Nov 6, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. Dean Blair

Dean Blair Silver Meritorious Patron

In 1973 the Detroit org moved from the suburbs to a burned out building in downtown Detroit. There was black soot on the ceilings and walls kind of like the opposite of an ideal org. The place looked like shit. It even smelled like smoke from the fire. Someone in the org got this great idea to hire a bunch of young non Scientologists to work there. They must have hired about 10-12 young African Americans and lied to them about how much money they would earn in a week. They probably said something like "It depends on how much income we bring in for the week. It could be several hundred dollars or it could be a little less it depends on how much GI we make for the week". (yeah, right.)

These young non Scientologists worked all week long and then went to get paid on Friday. Well having been on staff for a long time already I knew how much pay to expect (about $12-$17) and I knew these newbies didn't. Sure enough, when they all went to collect the pay for the week and it was far below what they were expecting a little riot occurred and the command "HCO bring order" had to be called out. These guys were ready to beat the crap out of the guy in charge of payroll.

The riot was handled but all of the new employees used a lot of bad language, stormed off, and broke things as they were leaving. The caper of trying to hire "wogs" to work for the kind of wages the org was paying was never ever tried again. What were they thinking?

2. CO2

CO2 Patron Meritorious

[video=youtube;4-jsqZQ4OOY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-jsqZQ4OOY[/video]

3. i don't believe they thought that one out at all

so...

you are my brother in christ are you?

4. Dean Blair

I am.

5. great!

and so long as we don't try to tell each other exactly what that actually means...

6. Dean Blair

Another story I remember from Detroit when Fred Fairchild was the Executive Director. The year was 1972 and all the staff were called to a meeting. There were about thirty staff members assembled and one brand new person. What the ED had planned was to run a havingness process on money. He had several thousand dollars in $100 dollar bills and the idea was that he would throw it up in the air and people would grab it and pass it on to each other.

This went on for about five minutes with everyone grabbing hundred dollar bills and passing them around to each other. At the end of the drill the money was passed back to Fred and he counted it but...it was a couple of hundred dollars short. Hmmm...I wonder who could have taken the two hundred dollars? Everyone looked around the room and they focused their eyes on the new guy. He was taken into a private office and gave up the money. They fired him after that.

The thing is that the new guy's havingness was probably higher than everyone else in the room. He saw all that money being thrown around and didn't think that they would miss a couple hundred bucks. He probably never saw anything like that in his life and thought we were a bunch of crazy bastards.

7. I remember in 1973 a bunch of guys from Detroit came to FCDC for training.

I remember the guys but only remember two of their names.

One was Larry Sobozinski and the other was Neal Sobol.

I think there were six in all.

The Anabaptist Jacques

8. Idle Morgue

Idle Morgue Gold Meritorious Patron

I had another Wognition - this is what the Church of Scientology does with other people's money - they perceive their havingness to be up so they steal everyone's money and then waste it on fighting off those who KNOW!:coolwink:

9. Dean Blair

I was there for X DN training. I knew Brad Swigert, Pandora Cooper, Penny and Bobby Wisner who were on staff at FCDC. I was Neal Sobol's room mate. Neal is still a Scientologist. Larry Sobozinski is no longer drinking the Kool aid. Oh yeah, Dan Polk was in DC as well doing some training. He lives in Texas now and is still drinking the kool aid a gallon at a time.

10. Then we know each other.

The Anabaptist Jacques

11. Out-Ethics

Out-Ethics Patron Meritorious

I remember both of those guys. Larry came back and was the cramm off for awhile and Neal was D of P and later became Tech Sec. I remember a funny story when I was there. I was sitting with Larry and we were trying to figure out how to fix the basic course room. The problem was we had these young chicks in Div 6 who would body route (this was downtown Detroit - same building Dean was talking about). The body routers had no problems bringing in people as they showed a good portion of legs. The problem was they would blow so fast that if we ever got one through they would usually end up as a Scientologist. Even the famous Al Baker was supping but still the blow rate was sky high so we took him out and replaced him with Mike Hebert. Well me Larry went into the course room to observe. We saw one fellow doing OT-TRO with his eyes opening and closing later we found out that he was in some psyche ward but they thought this might be good for him to get out and experience life. Then we had these married couple having a marriage argument of whatever. Then there was this one guy who was black getting bullbaited by a white guy and he call him the N word. I thought a fight was about to breakout. Then we looked at Mike who was standing with his arm crossed looking up at the ceiling with a look on his face "what the fuck am I doing here?". Me and Larry looked at each other then walked out of the coureroom and sent back to Qual. When we got there we didn't say one word to each other and then broke out laughing so hard that it took nearly 10 minutes to compose ourselves. Our big cognition was there ain't no way in hell to fix this. Those were the days!!!

12. Out-Ethics

I remember Dan. What a character! Glad to hear Larry is no longer in the cult. He was a good dude.

13. Yeah, I remember Dan too.

The Anabaptist Jacques

14. Dean Blair

Mike Hebert is my step brother. His dad married my mother. Our parents have since passed away. Mike is still a Scientologist and is married to a girl named Heidi Hebert and they still live in the Detroit area. Your story is funny. Did you happen to know Paul Maisano or Alan Anaskevitch? I know Alan had a bad accident which left him in a vegetative state and has since passed away. Paul I think still lives in the Detroit area.

I have recently been in communication with Mark Brode and Bob Gaines. They are both out.

15. Out-Ethics

Me and Mike were friends when we were on staff. He was my best man at my wedding and of course I remember Heidi very well. Very spunky girl. Glad to see they are both still married -has to be about 35 years. I knew both Paul and Alan when they were on staff but I haven't seen Paul since the early 80s. Also knew Mark and Bob. Happy to hear they are both out. Other names I knew Andy and Denise Jajuga, Bob and Christy Jenkins. Christy use to be married to Mike Campbell. David Laplae(not sure of his last name spelling) who was close friends with the Jajugas. Mike and Mugsy Sommers. Mike was ED for the Detroit FDN back in the 70s 76-80. Evelyn Potts later Campbell later Borglin. I know she last lived in Palmdale, Ca. She was at Int probably in Gold. Very talented artist. I bet she has stories to tell. There was also Jim The Drinker and Patty Slack who was GO Detroit. I had read somewhere Jim committed took his own life. I know there are others somewhere in the cow webs in my head.

16. Lulu Belle

Lulu Belle Moonbat

One of my best friends at AOLA was from the Detroit Org.

She told me a funny story.

There was someone bodyrouted into the org. As is part of the process, the person was brought into the film room to watch a basic film to teach them that Scientology is The Way.

After the film was over, the staff member handling the new prospect walked into the film room to continue the routing form.

The New Guy was gone.

So was the projector.

:p

17. Operating DB

Operating DB Truman Show Dropout

It's weird to read a thread with some familiar names.

I remember Mike and Heidi very well and her family from when we were in high school. I attended their wedding and even have pictures I took at the reception. I was good friends with her brother Dan Reutenik. I can't believe Mike and Heidi are still in scn!

I recall those names Paul Maisano or Alan Anaskevitch. Last I heard Paul was still in.

Dean, I wonder if we ever crossed paths or knew each other. I was on the NED internship in late 1978 and the Academy Levels in spring 1979. Chuck, whose last name evades me at the moment, was the NED Intern Sup. Sharon Borque was my twin and we were so stressed out that cracking each other up doing TRO Bullbait was the only approved way of relieving our stress. That was the only fun I had on the internship! lol. The Fnd Academy Sup was Brad Pitler (correct name?). Mickey Stephenson was the Foundation ED and was a bitch on wheels. She really was a scary person to me and I avoided her like the plague. Bob Ruskin was in the G.O. He was a piece of work! Years later I heard that he shot himself to death. That's what I heard. I have no proof.

Other names that come to mind are Julie Askew and Dave Atchinson.

18. Dean Blair

Great story. Who knows how many peoples lives were saved from that guy taking the projector.

19. Operating DB

Operating DB Truman Show Dropout

Wow! More names I remember! Andy and Denise Jajuga, Mike Campbell, Evelyn Potts was at Gold and I think is still in or forgotten. Jim and Pat Slack. Yes, Jim passed on but not sure if it was suicide. I could find out for sure from another source. I'm good friends with Chris Borglin since high school. He's been out for a long time and is very happy and doing very well.

Lorrie and Herbie Kirn, both out and divorced. Lorrie passed on. At one time she had brain cancer.

I wonder if Out-Ethics and I knew each other?

20. Out-Ethics

Ya think!!!!