ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

The Nakamichi Clearsound that recorded at CLO EUS.

Discussion in 'Stories From Inside Scientology' started by Mest Lover, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Mest Lover

Mest Lover Not Sea Org Qualified

I think I have mentioned this in chat or perhaps posts but there was a Nakamichi clearsound tape deck station that was placed into the CLO EUS courseroom shortly after the Renos about 1990.

I guess it was totally off policy for these decks to record and
    they had all been disabled of that feature.

I had just recently bought a portable CD/FM radio player from an electronics store near CLO EUS. My parents had given me some money for Christmas to buy it.

Trouble was, I had no external speakers, just earplugs.
    One night while taking out the trash I found a radio that someone
    had left on the stove in the galley and had melted.

I yanked it out of the trash and went to an electronics parts store down the street for parts to fix it.

I got some wiring and some jacks to plug it into my CD player earphone plugs to use the speakers. (I still have this setup)

As I mentioned before, I used this to play Howard Stern on the radio at the reception desk at CLO EUS, but when he wasn't on, I had a few CD's I listened to. AC/DC was on one night when Debbie Friedman (CMO) came in. She apparently liked AC/DC. She asked me if I could copy a tape. I said SURE THING, figuring the Nakamichis would do that.

That was before I found out they were all disabled.

What kind of Scientologist would sit around one night with some screwdrivers and soldering irons and absolutely no manual or schematic diagrams or starrating on using the machine and completely reverse that LRH approved technology?

Well, me for one. I took one of them apart, played with it for a few hours to figure out what they did and adjusted it to record, put it back together, made the tape copy, and gave that to Debbie.

Hmmmm, I never did undo that, somewhere out there is a Nakamichi deck that records, totally off policy, or maybe they melted it and threw it in the trash....

2. Thrak

Thrak Gold Meritorious Patron

You bastard. There might be some "priceless" lrh dreck cleared off the planet due to your work. :ohmy:

What did they do diss le the record inhibit swith?

3. Mest Lover

I can't remember exactly what they did, it wasn't hard to figure out though and not involved to fix it either. I remember just thinking at the time how much I deserved a really nasty KR for what I did, never got one for that though.

4. GreyWolf

GreyWolf Gold Meritorious Patron

Good for you.

5. Ted

Ted Gold Meritorious Patron

I have one of those decks. IIR, there is just one red wire that needs to be connected to enable the record feature. It is obvious once you look at the circuit board.

The disabling probably comes from reel-to-reel tapes which were easy to record over. Cassettes, however, have lockout tabs on each cassette to prevent accidental recording.

6. Mest Lover

That strikes a chord, I remember it being more than just fixing the record lever button, but not too difficult a job. I seem to remember reading a policy about why they didn't record, having to do with LRH not wanting the tapes to be copied and degraded by not coming from masters. Could also be legally in case they were raided for copyright infringement perhaps by staff making and selling pirate tapes somewhere using their decks.