What's new

The Nature of Evil

JustSheila

Crusader
The easiest way I know to copy something from one thread to another is to open exscn twice, hit the quote button, then copy and paste to the 2nd ESMB thread then close the other ESMB thread.

Wants2Talk

Silver Meritorious Patron
The easiest way I know to copy something from one thread to another is to open exscn twice, hit the quote button, then copy and paste to the 2nd ESMB thread then close the other ESMB thread.

I think I did it correctly! Thanks...or if I could do better let me know.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Is Gaddy's nick a reference to the Voynich novel?
Has any non-Russian on the boards read that novel? :laugh:

I don't know but it sure sounds like a good read. :thumbsup:

The Gadfly is a novel by Irish writer Ethel Lilian Voynich, published in 1897 (United States, June; Great Britain, September of the same year), set in 1840s Italy under the dominance of Austria, a time of tumultuous revolt and uprisings.[1] The story centres on the life of the protagonist, Arthur Burton, as a member of the Youth movement, and his antagonist, Padre Montanelli. A thread of a tragic relationship between Arthur and his love Gemma simultaneously runs through the story. It is a story of faith, disillusionment, revolution, romance, and heroism.

I've added it to by To Read list! Thanks!

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
I don't know but it sure sounds like a good read. :thumbsup:

I've added it to by To Read list! Thanks!

It was very, very popular in Soviet Russia because it was one of the few novels with an anti-clerical slant that fit in exactly with the time period and thoughts of Marx and Engels, so it was "safe" English literature. They made a movie out of it in 1955, which I have not yet seen. It has been largely forgotten in the West, the first I ever heard of it was in 1989 when a Soviet edition (in English) was given to me by a friend. That Soviet book is one of my treasured possessions.

The other popular "safe" English language authors in the Soviet era were Mark Twain, O. Henry, and Jerome K. Jerome. The latter's "Three Men and a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog)" is an interesting window into middle class life in England in the 1890s. A free Kindle version can be found here.

You might also like "Heart of a Dog" by Mikhail Zoshchenko for its take on the Soviet Version of Homo Novis.

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Hope so.
He is among those who I personnally. Miss.
Target two is a place we might keep fun for those old timer among us who wish to socialize and have fun.