ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind

Discussion in 'Books About Cults and Extracting Oneself from Coer' started by thetaCannon, Aug 12, 2009.

View Users: View Users
  1. thetaCannon

thetaCannon Patron

This one is a great, and a classic of the genre. In it, the author makes a detailed case for his theory that modern consciousness (ie awareness of awareness, with volition) developed a lot more recently than evolutionary biologists had guessed.

In fact, he pegs the date at around three thousand years ago when literature began changing to reflect an introspective view point.

Interestingly, this book also inspired Neo-Tech, which is a post-objectivist movement started by Frank R. Wallace.

If you can get a copy of this I highly recommend reading it.

2. Moonchild

Moonchild Patron with Honors

I haven't read this book or in fact heard of it until you mentioned it here. I've found it on Amazon and have read the reviews.

Sounds like interesting stuff. Thank you for posting this tC. :thumbsup:

3. Leon

Leon Gold Meritorious Patron

I read the book about mid-80.s - how long ago is that? Buy yes, it was very good indeed, though to me not entirely convincing, and I say that not as a Scientologist. There were some odd loopholes in his idea, or rather - examples running counter to it which contradicted it. Though I'd have to read the book again in order to recall what they were.

4. Mystic

Mystic Crusader

Consciousness has no "origin".

5. thetaCannon

thetaCannon Patron

Mystic makes a claim that I'm sure will resonate with anyone indoctrinated into Scientology or any other religion.

The key to understanding the book's title is that the author spends the first part of the book separating out what the various meanings of the word "consciousness" are and settling on one before proceeding. It's a very enlightening chapter that actually broke the last few bits of my identification with Hubbard's theories. Hubbard's concept of theta is simplistic, overloaded, and vague... just like "consciousness" is, according to Jayne's very detailed breakdown.

I'd recommend even just reading the beginning of the book to help clarify the many phenomena we commonly associate with "consciousness" as a kind of catch-all concept which (I believe) make it even easier to be suckered in by religious dogma that takes advantage of the ego's false self-importance. :whistling: