ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

The Scientology religious "pass the pen" fundraising technique

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by CommunicatorIC, Dec 15, 2014.

1. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

2. beltway

beltway Bone Idle

Because, hey, it's all about raising funds. Scientology NEEDS money. Lots and lots of money. And lots more after that.

4 billion USD is clearly not a sufficient "war chest".

3. Mike Cameron

Mike Cameron Patron

From the comments section at Mike's blog:
    http://www.mikerindersblog.org/fundraising-part-4/#comment-71542

4. R2-45

R2-45 Silver Meritorious Patron

Scum.

5. HelluvaHoax!

HelluvaHoax! Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

UNRELATED COMMENT: And, even after all the (previous) threads that mentioned it, I still don't have any f**king clue at all what "BUMS & PIRATES" means. LOL

WTF?

I have asked on other threads and I think people have even tried to explain it. I can't remember what they said, probably because the definition was so cringefully engramic I went unconscious.

Just wondering if my MU is the reason I became so critical of Scientology? LOL

6. renegade

renegade Silver Meritorious Patron

Leave it to a Scn to come up with a "bright idea" such as this one....death by dry erase marker-bullet.

I wish I could watch this in our field and see the Scn pass it to someone who either wrote a kr on them, or arc-x them in the past.

7. Sindy

Sindy Crusader

Only in a cult would you feel empowered, insouciant, special and truly admired by being called a pirate and a bum.

It's part of the double-speak where Scientologists are told that they are flippant, non-conformists. They break the rules. They're PIRATES! They don't play nice or stay within the lines. They're BUMS and yet they still WIN wildly. They are the wild ones -- the cream of the crop on the planet because they don't toe the line.

They're the Pirates and the Bums and being so insouciant, they don't care about insufficient funds in their banks accounts or maxed out credit cards. They laugh in the face of late payments and IRS statements. Ha! These things can't stop a pirate or a bum from swashbuckling their greasy bodies through the illusions of the MEST universe. They make money appear out of thin air.

What? You can't do that? You pay your bills on time and budget your income? You pathetic loser. You have been owned by the physical universe, you puny thetan. You couldn't create your way out of a ziploc bag. No, you're no pirate and you're no bum.

Okay, WOOT! I'm fucking ready to ignore the zeroes in my bank account. I'm all about destroying my 780 credit score. Missed mortgage payment? Bring it on!

PASS THE PEN.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  8. HelluvaHoax!

:hysterical:

I know, but......

Why did anyone even want to be positioned with "BUMS"?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Is there something I am missing about the majesty of BumNess and BumTech?

I even asked my Avatar to consult me on this question about why Scientologists are proud of being compared to a bum and he said: "Why are you even asking me that, it's sooooo stupid! WTF is wrong with you?!" Shit, now I have an indignant, invalidative bum on my lines! lol

9. Gib

Gib Crusader

IIRC, I think it has something to do with bankers, raping people of their money since money is created from nothing. Hubbard talks about how money is created in the Money tapes. Of course, Hubbard does the same thing. LOL

But this definition will suffice, just replace the drugs with Hubbard's influence in writing & speaking (sublime writing) and the sex with money.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bum+pirate

10. HelluvaHoax!

Sorry, but my case has been bogged for years on that PIRATES & BUMS reference.

I tried to Google it and came up with two (2) things:

1. A post I made 18 months ago begging for help. LOL

2. A random post someone made on another website long ago that said that "...the PIRATES & BUMS reference is something Ron said in the audiotaped lecture PDC #1.

Anybody know what is in PDC #1? Just checking. If nobody knows, I'll ask again next year. lol

ps: My Avatar has demanded that everyone stop referring to him as a "BUM". He states emphatically that he should be referred to as an OH (Operating Hobo).

11. Sindy

Sindy Crusader

From my recall it starts with LRH philosophizing about people being, "good" and being "cautious with investments" and being wise, prudent etc. and how one would think that this would be the winning strategy in life but no, it's not.

He then talks about captains of industry and other big thetans who gamble and lose everything and make it all back again, and lose it and win it over, and over because they don't concern themselves with being good or following rules and some of them can be downright ornery rascals.

Yes, they're pirates and bums but they're the ones who win!

This is just some friggin' audio tape rambling, that then gets photocopied and put in reg binders, as the law of the universe. People get deputized as pirates and bums by IAS registrars walking through the crowds while reading dire warnings about psychs on the whole track. It's quite electrifying. You should try it. :no:

12. Gib

Gib Crusader

That sounds about right.

There is a poster here called by the same name, Pirates and Bums. Maybe he/she will clarify. :confused2:

But don't forget this piece of data:

https://backincomm.wordpress.com/2014/04/01/dear-dean-wilbur/

edit:

lets consider Dean Wilbur:

http://encyclopedia.gwu.edu/index.php?title=Wilbur,_William_Allen

I believe he had a lot of influence in Hubbard.

Consider this:

let me correct it as a model for Hubbard:

13. HelluvaHoax!

:hysterical:

Okay, now it is beginning to make a little sense to me. Thank you!

I guess I understand it enough now to begin making sentences. That should get me all the way to full conceptual understanding. Here goes--some sentences until "I feel good about it".

Sentence #1: I used to have an MU on the LRH datum "Pirates & Bums".

Sentence #2: Many multi-millionaire OTs made their fortunes by applying Ron's "Pirates & Bums" technology.

Sentence #3: It is not part of the "Pirates & Bums" tech to look at all the internet false data about OT millionaires Richie Acunto, Matt Feshbach & Reid Slatkin going bankrupt.

Yeah, okay, I feel really good about it now!

14. Sindy

Sindy Crusader

Thanks. I never read that before. That was really interesting.

15. Gib

Gib Crusader

I updated my post above.

But You forgot one, Dennis Negley going bankrupt. The cheif fundraiser at SFO Idle Orgs. :roflmao:

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/fundraising-part-4/

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/fundraising-part-4/#comment-71542

while I ain't Joseph, I do know this story to be true.

16. HelluvaHoax!

Thanks, and we can add another one to the list of multi-millionaire OTs who flourished and prospered by using Ron's "PIRATES & BUMS" technology.

Steve Brackett, former husband of Nancy Cartwright.

Back in 2006, Steve was listed by the IAS under the status "GOLD MERITORIOUS", for donations of at least $1,000,000 (ref: IAS IMPACT magazine #115).

Later, he apparently did not apply the "Pirates & Bums" tech correctly and his finances tanked--after which he committed suicide by (literally) jumping off a bridge.

17. Sindy

Sindy Crusader

It's so bizarre that I actually had THE PDC lecture transcripts, on a bookshelf next to my desk. Weird. Okay, I call Fair Use on this one:

[​IMG]

18. Gib

Gib Crusader

Learn some Rhetoric, the 3 means of persuasion, and reread that letter by Hubbard to Dean Wilbur.

The easiest place to learn it enough to understand is here:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/11/14/classical-rhetoric-101-an-introduction/

"Protects you from intellectual despotism. I had a classics professor that said, “Advertising is the tool of the despot.” That idea really stuck with me. Since ancient times, powerful men have used propaganda to maintain control over their subjects. According to my professor, advertising is just a benign name for propaganda. Both rely on emotional appeals to change our ideas and feelings about a cause, position, or product."

Although I know you understand scientology is a hellvahoax.

19. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

I'm sure it was a typo. What Ron really meant was Scientologists are all a bunch of butt pirates.

What was that you were saying about positioning?

20. Gib

Gib Crusader

yes, :thumbsup:

It's that's third paragraph that begins with "Well".

Here Hubbard tries to say saving money by the Captains of Industry didn't work for them and they didn't save money, but yet were is the proof these Captains of Industry did what Hubbard said?

None. LOL

The way to get ahead is to save money.

But yet scientology no allows one to save money, if one is a working stiff. And Unless of course you are already able (before scientology) to make money, why you are the class of making the "able more able".

And us working stiffs thought we could become more able? Laugher.

What rhetoric by Hubbard. LOL