ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

The Strange Case of Biggi Reichert: Suicide... with burn marks on the scalp?

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by Zhongjianren, Sep 24, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Zhongjianren

Zhongjianren Patron with Honors

The Strange Case of Biggi Reichert
    http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2011/09/24/the-strange-case-of-biggi-reichert/

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  2. TheSneakster

TheSneakster Guest

I suspect this is going to turn out to be very bad. Maybe even worse than Lisa McPherson.

3. SchwimmelPuckel

SchwimmelPuckel Genuine Meatball

I agree Sneaks...

But even with the McPherson case, there seems to be scientologists who know stuff and still thinks covering it up is the 'ethical' thing to do.

So they will probably cover this up too?

But who needs a 'church' and a 'philosophy' that recommends covering up what looks like murder on one of their own?

And why is it that this 'church' appears to prefer that we all, WOG's, think that they did murder that woman? - Realize that this is a PR choice! - The Cult of Scientology 'could' conceivably cooperate with police to prove that they didn't murder her...

But like a mafia, they seem to think that the 'implied' threath of murder to everyone not 'with' them is better? - Like a streetgang they want to intimidate?

:unsure:

4. Veda

Veda Sponsor

Death and cover up... a long Scientology tradition

Susan Meister, suicide or murder? on the Apollo, 1971
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp6uh_mKLbA

Quentin Hubbard, driven to suicide by his father, 1976

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS9TYc5nKwU

The 12 February 1967 Policy Letter 'Admin Know-How, the Responsibility of Leaders' -a.k.a. The Bolivar Policy Letter:

"[The power asks] 'What are those dead bodies doing at the door'. And if you [the subordinate] are clever, you never let it be known HE [the power] killed them - that weakens you and also hurts the power source. 'Well, boss about all those dead bodies, nobody at all will suppose you did it. She over there, those pink legs sticking out, didn't like me'. 'Well', he'll say if he really is a power, 'Why are you bothering me with it if it's done and you did it. Where's my blue ink?...

"...always push power in the direction of anyone on whose power you depend. It may be more money for the power, or more ease, or a snarling defense of the power to the critic, or even the dull thud of one of his enemies in the dark, or the glorious blaze of a whole enemy camp as a birthday surprise...

"...Real powers are developed by tight conspiracies of this kind... and if they are right and also manage their man [the power] and keep him from collapsing from overwork, bad temper or bad data, a kind of juggernaut builds up."

This is Scientology, folks.

5. FoTi

FoTi Crusader

This is a spooky strange ending to doing the OT Levels.

I wonder what is behind those burn marks on her scalp. What a mystery.

:timebomb:

6. PTSPal

PTSPal Patron with Honors

:unsure::unsure:OK...I can't be the only one thinking this....Why have there been so many people associated with COS die from Carbon monoxide poisoning over the years? :unsure::duh::unsure:

7. Gadfly

Gadfly Crusader

Scientology "logic" is based on a few seriously flawed assumptions.

1. Scientology possesses the ONLY valid understanding of Man and the spirit.

2. Scientology possesses the ONLY valid path towards addressing and resolving the problems of Man and the spirit.

3. Scientology MUST survive and expand for the sake of all men, women and children.

4. Without Scientology you will end up as a burnt out cinder or small piece of rock, forever suffering and dying throughout ALL ETERNITY.

People who believe such nonsense imagine that it is in the BEST INTERESTS of all people everywhere for Scientology and Scientologists to LIE about anything if it "helps them survive and expand", and if it helps guarantee that "all people can and will truly enjoy the benefits of Ron's Bridge to Spiritual Freedom".

These Scientology people are deluded, crazy, and worse, potentially harmful because they take these assumptions as hard facts. These people are raving FANATICS.

8. NCSP

NCSP Patron Meritorious

Someone over on Marty's blog says that the burns could have been caused by a faulty MRI machine. But afaik, there is no record of her having been hospitalized in Florida. PURE SPECULATION: The only Scientology context in which such gadgetry would make sense to me would be some kind of Super Power pilot. Is this possible?

9. MrNobody

MrNobody Who needs merits?

Well, before I yell "Absolute BULLSHIT!!!", could you please tell me what 'MRI' stands for in your context?

10. NCSP

NCSP Patron Meritorious

Magnetic Resonance Imaging. I'm only passing along what someone else said:

Grain of salt and all that.

ETA: I have no opinion one way or another -- I don't have the expertise to form a good one, and our knowledge of the case at this point is extremely sketchy. That's why I asked if it was even possible.

11. MrNobody

Thanks,NCSP.

Well, if that really means "Magnetic Resonance Imaging", I HAVE to yell "BULLSHIT", because I undergo MRI twice a year (since the past 25 years), and I'm not the only one. I know about ... ugh, let me think... I know about at least 70 people who undergo MRI twice a year, and I've neither heard about nor experienced symptoms as the ones described and I don't know anyone who has. I also couldn't come up with an explanation, even if I wanted to, and trust me, I know some stuff about electro-magnetics and electro-physics.

So yeah, whoever came up with this explanation, should go find a more convincing one.

EDIT
    Oh, and about your question: No, I absolutely don't think it'd be possible.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  12. Mick Wenlock

Mick Wenlock Admin Emeritus (retired)

No way. Whoever said that has no idea how an MRI works. it's not a fucking microwave.

a) If she had undergone an MRI the technician would have checked her for metal, in particular ferrous metals. because...

b) The Magnetic Resonance Imaging uses very powerful magnets and they attract the metal. So if she had some sort metal close to her head it would have ripped them from her hair.

So no, whatever did cause the problem it wasn't a "faulty" MRI

13. NCSP

NCSP Patron Meritorious

It is possible to be burned during an MRI procedure. http://www.mdsr.ecri.org/summary/detail.aspx?doc_id=8178 Just Google 'MRI burns'.

Yes, it's extremely unlikely, and the person administering it would have to be an idiot, but -- given what I've read about Super Power -- it's not that difficult for me to imagine Scientology buying sophisticated equipment and then fucking it up royally.

14. Mark A. Baker

Mark A. Baker Sponsor

It seems a tragic set of circumstances as reported. What caught my eye however is a throwaway opinion passed off as a 'fact'.

So I've posted a question in response.

http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2011/09/24/the-strange-case-of-biggi-reichert/#comment-150110

Mark A. Baker

15. NCSP

NCSP Patron Meritorious

That line struck me as well. The "bought off" part was going too far for sure, and was likely just a little irresponsible rhetorical flourish, as Marty is prone to do. As far as authorities being unhelpful, I assumed that Marty's info on that front came from Caberta, so I'm willing to suspend judgment.

ETA: I think that what excites Marty about this story is that she was an OTVIII (presumably after Golden Age of Tech). Which seems like a weird emphasis to the, you know, SANE world, but would be extremely significant to someone who ascribes great power to the tech and wants to craft a narrative that the person in charge of its administration is sabotaging it.

16. MrNobody

"Thermal injuries caused by sensors, cables, or other accessories placed on the patient [....]"

Meh. I've had quite a few sensors on my head during several diagnostic processes, but I never experienced or heard about any head sensors during head MRIs. So I still say bullshit, and I've been MRI'd (almost) as long as MRI exists.

17. NCSP

NCSP Patron Meritorious

No one ever claimed they were common. Even the few hundred cases the Martyblog poster claimed would make them extremely, extremely rare given the number of MRI procedures performed each year. Also, presumably you've been getting MRI's from competent professionals using good equipment.

After reading yours and Mick Wenlock's (weirdly angry) responses, and doing some reading on my own, I tend to agree that it's not at all likely that this case had anything to do with MRI's, but it seems pretty clear that the general question of whether MRI's can cause burns (eta: when improperly administered and in conjunction with foreign objects) isn't really disputable. Why would the NIH and FDA publish guidelines for avoiding burns if it wasn't even possible to sustain them?

18. Good twin

Good twin Floater

Did you say "just a little irresponsible rhetorical flourish"? :roflmao:

19. MrNobody

Since MRI is neither a drug nor food, what would the FDA have to do with it?

Anyway, I'll have to schedule my next MRI somewhen within the next three months anyway, so I'll post an answer from the professional who'll administer it, when I get to it.

20. NCSP

NCSP Patron Meritorious

The FDA isn't just Food and Drugs. First para: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fda

That's why the FDA is the agency that requires the disclaimer on the e-meter.