What's new

Time to say goodbye

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
@Emma The post search facility seems to allow only 10 pages of a member's posts to be pulled up, however many thousands that member may have written. Will this be remedied before the board is put to rest?

Paul
You can already find all the members posts just go to their profile, an click on "all content". Then go to page 10 and click on "find older content". I can't adjust the settings to do anything else.

guanoloco

As-Wased
You can already find all the members posts just go to their profile, an click on "all content". Then go to page 10 and click on "find older content". I can't adjust the settings to do anything else.

Will bookmarks still work?

Hatshepsut

Crusader
I found them ALL by doing what you said Emma.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-09-20 at 3.18.01 AM.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-20 at 3.18.01 AM.png
    183.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Going to be busy for the next few days and will probably not be on-line when the clock runneth out so just wanted to get my ha'porth of commentary in.

Thanks to Emma for creating this maddeningly enticing place and thank all of you who have made it fun to read (at times....). My interest in Scientology ran out a looooong time ago and the validity of any commentary or criticism I might have has been past its sell by date for even longer.

But I will miss the people I like.

I like to stay in touch with people I like and connecting with old friends and making new ones has been my raison d'etre for coming back to this site on and off.

I do have an email address that I still use and which I do, occasionally, check. it is: mickwenlock(atsymbol)yahoo.com

Feel free to leave a message there if you wish to get hold of me in the future.

Good luck to the new board.

Thank you Emma for all that you have done - and thanks for being a good friend.

mockingbird

Silver Meritorious Patron
I am thrilled the new board is there. I think that there are always going to be people leaving Scientology and trying to recover, at least during our lifetimes. It is a great resource in many ways and I have something I have been meaning to write about the benefits of ESMB but when I first found out that ESMB is going to end I thought I would not have the time and regretted it. But now that the new board is up I can post it there and take my time.

When I first started writing about Scientology about five years ago I was uncertain about if I should or shouldn't and someone told me there will always be somebody at whatever point you are writing about. If it is about doubting Scientology or looking at critical information or leaving Scientology or discovering this or that about the organization or technology or recovery or whatever there is always someone at that level, even if thousands of people are at different levels and have heard these ideas before.

I think ESMB and the future board will help a lot people in the future and that ESMB has helped thousands of people already, it has certainly helped me.

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hi Emma,
You are leaving quite the legacy. I'm impressed! This board has helped so many people make the transition out of Scientology, and it wouldn't have happened without all your hard work. So thank-you.

I had an OSA assisted graduation from ESMB. My computer was hacked a few years ago. I got the computer repair guy to sort it out and when I got it back, the only thing that was still amiss was that I was blocked from posting on ESMB. So I guess we were both considered a threat. Rest on your laurels. You did good.

I wish you the best of everything in your future.

Cheers,
Carla

He-man

Hero extraordinary
As part of the closing down process, I have disabled the ability to create new threads. Let's just finish up any last thoughts on the existing threads and prepare for closure.
Since the "All about Alanzo" threads have gone in a circular motion for at least a few weeks now, do you think it'd be a good idea to lock them too? Everything that can be has already been said at least twice, by everyone.

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Any new threads will probably be by Alanzo - or Out Ethics/Effix. BTW, I don't get the joke. What is Effix? :duh:

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
As part of the closing down process, I have disabled the ability to create new threads. Let's just finish up any last thoughts on the existing threads and prepare for closure.
Preparing for closure.

It's like we're on a submarine.

"I'll be your Bardo Tulpa for the remainder of your journey through the between lives area beneath the river Styx on our way to Hades. The captain has turned off the New Threads feature and you'll be asked to remain strapped into your seating. Thank you for using Alanzo Submarines."

Last edited:

Caroline

Patron Meritorious
Preparing for closure.

It's like we're on a submarine.

"I'll be your Bardo Tulpa for the remainder of your journey through the between lives area beneath the river Styx on our way to Hades. The captain has turned off the New Threads feature and you'll be asked to remain strapped into your seating. Thank you for using Alanzo Submarines."
Now that's smart! I took the DC-8 route.

header.jpg

StatPush

Patron
What I have learned in the past 10 years

I wanted to summarise my thoughts regarding my journey into Scientology, my departure, joining Anti-Scientology and leaving.

For the archives, these are my parting thoughts…

I got into Scn in the early/mid 80s. At that time, it was difficult to find written works critical of Scn; it amounted to a few hard-to-find books. My first impression of the org and staff was neutral. They were polite and inclusive, not a whole lot of pressure. I was interested. No one twisted my arm or brainwashed me into purchasing materials or signing up for a basic course. I wanted to give it a go.

Soon after that, I joined staff, almost on a whim. I went to LA for training and endured the next seven years or so as a Class V org staff member. It was probably the hardest thing I’ve done. Working 80+ hours a week for virtually no staff pay. It was insane and mostly unpleasant, but I met some great people along the way.

Afterwards, I transitioned into being a public Scnist and was determined to go up the Bridge. And for the next 20 years that is what I did. Eventually going Clear and making my way up to OTIII. This pursuit included wins and disappointments and setbacks. But, overall I was a good Scnist. My life was about getting myself and my spouse up the Bridge. Along the way we became IAS patrons, and donated to the ever-increasing list of projects pushed by management. We were heavily invested.

In 2009, The Truth Rundown hit the mainstream media and was impossible to ignore. I made the mistake of mentioning it to another Scnist. This kicked off a series of events which led to my SP declare in 2014. From 2009 through 2014, my family endured the wrath of Sea Org ethics/justice, black PR, overt and covert threats; completely over-the-top insanity that many of you are familiar with. It was touch-and-go for a while, but we survived.
Through out my protracted departure, I would note how illogical and irrational they were. They could not recognise truth if it bit them on the arse. I began to see them as completely delusional and downright mean and suppressive.

In the end they converted me into an enemy of the church. And I was ready.

Before my declare, while under-the-radar, I posted on Marty’s blog, Mike’s blog, and occasionally on ESMB and The Bunker. After 30 years of heavy tribalism and suppressed communication, I started to cut loose. For me, this was therapy. I wanted to understand what the fuck happened. The Anti-Scientology Community (ASC) was the place to land. Lots of people who had experienced the mind-fuck that is Scn. They helped me, and I like to think, I helped them.

Over time I noticed some inaccuracies that were being presented to the ASC. For example, several years ago, Tony Ortega did a series on the cost of going up the Bridge. These figures, I felt, were wildly inaccurate and were being inflated to sensational proportions. So, somewhat naively, I posted a comment stating that it didn’t cost me that much. Immediately I was attacked, accused of being a Scnist, an OSA operative, a mole, etc. I thought it was hysterical and unjustified.

This happened a number of times on various blogs. And it occurred to me that this type of behaviour was nearly identical to the treatment I received while exiting Scn. Granted, with Scn it was face-to-face, whereas this was online. But it was the same hysterical tribal insanity, lack of reason, and religious fervour used to defend something I knew to be untrue.

If anyone doubts there isn’t an ASC tribal narrative, try questioning anyone of the ASC Holy Trinity (Remini/Rinder, De La Carriere and Ortega) [ok, I know, that’s four]. Even if what you are saying is supported by evidence, you will be attacked, often ruthlessly. This is an ASC High Crime.

What has emerged is an authoritarian, hierarchical, fanatical tribe at war with another authoritarian, hierarchical, fanatical tribe – you know, the one we left?

The apologist will say “But, the good that Mike and Leah et al, are doing far out-weighs anything else.” I would say, I felt the same way about Scn when I was sipping the Kool-Aid.

Fanatical anti-scientology criticism will not succeed in bringing Scn down. They have more money, better lawyers and probably more members. You cannot fight insanity with insanity. You will lose. And the day will come when you drift away from ASC, and wonder “what went wrong?” Eerily similar to what you felt when you left Scn.

You lost when you abandoned the pursuit of truth, in favour of tribalism.

If Scn is defeated, it will be because individuals persisted in uncovering the truth. We don’t have lie, or spin, or misrepresent facts. Lying makes you stupid. The church lies…a lot. And this will be their downfall.

Why make the same mistake? Why not be a smarter and a bit less tribal?

All it takes is a willingness to look and consider another’s point of view. And when they present you with data that appears contrary to what you believe – check it out. You’re still free to disagree with it. But there’s the possibility you may agree with it, and as a result, change and become wiser.

How can that be bad?

Last edited: