ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Tony Ortega: Scientology getting more aggressive with media

Discussion in 'Tony Ortega' started by CommunicatorIC, Dec 24, 2015.

1. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

Tony Ortega: Scientology getting more aggressive with media.

Tony Ortega: Release the hounds! Scientology suddenly getting more aggressive with media: Report

http://tonyortega.org/2015/12/24/re...etting-more-aggressive-with-the-media-report/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

On this Christmas Eve, we wanted to tell you about an interesting exchange we had recently with a fellow reporter.

This is someone who writes about Scientology on occasion, and for several different outlets. But recently, he tells us, things have changed. Scientology is suddenly getting very aggressive with the places he normally places stories with.

The negative press for Scientology this year has been relentless, and we’re seeing media giants that once were cowed by Scientology’s legal tactics now openly mocking the organization. Has David Miscavige suddenly had enough of it?

Our friend says that this is a definite change that just happened a few weeks ago.

“The last piece I did, three sets of Scientology lawyers sent more than 100 pages of horseshit. It was so time consuming for the editors,” he told us. And now, the publications are turning down his pitches.

Is another chilling effect on the way? From 1991 to 2005, the American media was very reluctant to write about Scientology after a TIME magazine cover story resulted in a $416 million lawsuit by the church. Does Miscavige miss those days of frightening off editors with the barking of well-paid lawyers?

Let’s keep an eye out for original reporting about Scientology and see if we can tell whether the media is suddenly more shy if, in fact, Scientology has a new strategy.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

2. Karen#1

Karen#1 Gold Meritorious Patron

The Cult follows its OSA Network Orders, previously "Guardian Orders" (Hubbard) ~~ "threaten to back them off, do not actually sue, only THREATEN to sue.

Jeffrey and I mock them threatening media and critics SNL style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI8d8pZQW04

3. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

I believe if enough people around the world come to see the CoS AS-IS than it will suddenly vanish. :coolwink::biggrin:

Seriously, if the truth about this organization becomes widely known than they're going to go the way of the dinosaur.

Their only hope is to attempt to silence the media and prevent the masses from learning the truth.

I suspect that they'll win some battles but in the long run this strategy is going to backfire on them in a major way and just add more fuel to the fire.

OSA, what you're doing is creating some nuclear-tipped foot-bullets. :biggrin:

You might want to jump ship before they begin exploding back on you. It's not going to be pretty. :no::ohmy:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  4. Gib

Gib Crusader

I think the media ought to play the Socratic Irony method, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony,

excerpt:

[SUP]
    ---------------------------------------------

The media ought to play dumb and ask questions, for example

are you "clear"?

do you have recall of everything in your present life, examples please?

are you OT8 and do you have whole track recall? Examples with proof. please.

This totally bypasses the religious card, IMHO.
    [/SUP]

5. Type4_PTS

Perhaps a thread on ESMB suggesting questions for the media to ask, along with the reasoning behind them, and some potential follow up questions might be helpful?

The subject of scientology isn't always easy for a never-in to get a good grasp of, I suspect that we can assist some of them who work in the media to do their job better.

6. freethinker

freethinker Sponsor

The first thing any media outlet or even those who speak out can say is...

"Why haven't you gone after any other media publication going all the way back to the Truth Rundown?"

"What makes our report any different than theirs?"

A church does not have rights, people do. None of the rights in the Constitution apply to legal fictions, they apply to human beings. Unless someone in the church can show actual damage to a real human being, they haven't got a leg to stand on. The IRS cannot declare them holy without violating the Constitution.

A scathing article in any magazine will not prevent them from practicing their religion and if they want to claim a loss of income then they are a corporation only. I don't know of any other religion that has lost fellowship because someone criticized it. In fact it usually strengthens a true religion.

Let them prove damages, not fake them.

7. Type4_PTS

Tony Ortega did a great follow-up on this issue today, confirming what you said here about the cult only THREATENING to sue. (it is written by Professor Dave Touretzky of Carnegie Mellon University)

It's been 20 years since they actually followed through and sued and they got their ass handed to them.

http://tonyortega.org/2015/12/26/on...ime-scientology-tried-to-knock-out-the-press/

Also, this in the comments section below the above article I linked to:

8. degraded being

degraded being Sponsor

"Shelley deposed". Media's majic chant.