ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

U. S. Department of Defense studying Church of Scientology Purification Rundown

Discussion in 'Scientology Infiltrates Society' started by CommunicatorIC, Feb 2, 2014.

View Users: View Users
  1. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

U. S. Department of Defense studying Church of Scientology Purification Rundown

First: EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, MANDATORY, MUST READ WWP THREAD ON THIS ISSUE GIVING ALL NECESSARY DETAILS AND BACKGROUND INFORMATION.

Today's leak from Mike Rinder:

Johnny Spag Hypes It Up
    http://www.mikerindersblog.org/johnny-spag-hypes-it-up/

Leaked e-mails from Johnny Spag:
    Then a correction:
    Then a correction of the correction:
    EDITED TO ADD FROM ABOVE WWP LINK IN CASE PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO GO TO WWP:

From the link:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  2. Udarnik

Udarnik Gold Meritorious Patron

Dear Johnny-boy,

DOX or STFU. The DoD fully funds its studies and does not need donos.

ML,

Udarnik, former DoD contractor.

P.S. DOX includes the specific study protocol to ensure we're really talking about the Purif and not some general detox you're claiming to be the Purif. Fuckwit.

3. CommunicatorIC

Ummmm.....
    From the link:

4. Udarnik

Yeah, didn't finish the thread on WWP before I posted. This is a real trial (the only acceptable evidence is clinicaltrials.gov):

[TABLE="class: data_table, width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TH="class: header3 pale_banner_color, bgcolor: #EDEEFF"]Arms[/TH]
    [TH="class: header3 pale_banner_color, bgcolor: #EDEEFF"]Assigned Interventions[/TH]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: body3"]Experimental: Hubbard detoxification programDaily mild-moderate exercise for 20 minutes, intermittent Finnish saunas at 140'F for approximately 4 hours, dietary supplements including immediate release niacin in gradually increasing doses perHubbard protocol.
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: body3"]Other: Hubbard detoxification programA four to six week regimen consisting of daily, supervised, mild-moderate exercise as tolerated for 20 minutes, supervised, intermittent Finnish saunas (at about 140'F) sauna time with breaks and showers, gradually increased as tolerated to approximately 4 hours, dietary supplements including immediate release niacin in gradually increasing doses from 100 mg to a maximum of 5000 mg per day, salt and water, other vitamins, minerals and oils per Hubbard protocol.
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Holy shit I don't know how this got through the Institutional Review Board.

It is fully funded by the DoD, which really pisses me off on two levels. First, that Johnny-boy has the gall to ask for donations, and second that some shithead at the DoD was asleep at the wheel enough to give the go-ahead.

I know people at Albany. A lot of people. The IRB / ethics committee is going to hear about this.

5. CommunicatorIC

The Scientologist recognized this in the third leaked e-mail quoted above:

6. Udarnik

I wonder if they realized this on their own or the lead researcher saw it and had a fit. He could lose his funding over that. And his ability to gain future funding.

I've got to do some digging on this idiot.

7. AnonKat

AnonKat Crusader

Are you that bunny on Tony's blog ?

8. Udarnik

No.

9. AnonKat

AnonKat Crusader

Okay sorry, He used Johney Boy

10. Teanntás

Teanntás Silver Meritorious Patron

Is this him?

David Carpenter in Scientology's Published Service Completion Lists

The following 2 individual completions for David Carpenter appear in official Scientology publications:

David Carpenter PERSONAL EFFICIENCY COURSE Celebrity 317 1999-02-01
    David Carpenter PERSONAL EFFICIENCY COURSE Celebrity 319 1999-06-01
    Note: The dates listed above are the approximate publication dates of the magazines, which may be weeks or months later than the actual date the service was completed.

http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/by-name/d/david-carpenter.html

And here

"David Carpenter, director of the Institute for Health and the Environment at the University at Albany, is currently conducting research under a grant from the US Department of Defense to see if the “rundown” treatment is effective in reducing the symptoms of Gulf War Illness, a disease found in American veterans of the 1990-1991 Gulf War.

But “we have encountered a lot of opposition to our study here, which is one reason it has not started yet,” Carpenter said.

“I am very aware of the many criticisms of the Church of Scientology, which isn’t really a religion at all.”

http://talkvietnam.com/2013/04/scientology-in-vietnam-open-welcome-or-backdoor-entry/.Uu3cAj1h8xE

And here

"Indeed, one of the experts FASE approached is David Carpenter, a research physician whose professional focus is the effect of environmental contamination on human health.

After FASE contacted him, he twice applied for grants from the National Institutes of Health to evaluate the detox regimen, but was turned down both times. He is committed to trying again.

A professor of environmental health and toxicology, Carpenter is director of the Institute for Health and the Environment at the State University of New York at Albany.

"I'm convinced the program has beneficial effects," he says. "The question from my perspective is: Are they mainly psychological, or is it really ridding the body of nasty chemicals?"

Medical science has yet to discover a way of removing contaminants from the body, especially fat-soluble contaminants stored in fatty tissue, Carpenter says.

"But before we get too excited, it must be demonstrated that it clearly does work through an objective, totally independent, rigorous analysis."

http://web.archive.org/web/20071024...ics_results_make_9_11_responders_believe.html

11. shadow

shadow Patron with Honors

I will bet the trip through IRB approval was difficult considering it has taken 2 years to start recruiting. I found the annual report to the DOD for year 1 but could not find year 2 (which would be more interesting, as will the later reports with some actual data :eyeroll:).

Annual report for 27 September 2011 - 26 September 2012
    "Progress to Date:
    The study has not yet begun but progress is being made is surmounting several serious road blocks. The protocol and informed consent have just been approved by the Chesapeake IRB following extensive revision based on comments by DOD staff, and concurrence has been obtained from the IRBs of the three universities involved (the University at Albany, the University of Toronto and Sage Colleges). We have hired a Project Coordinator, and have developed all necessary recruitment materials, which have been approved by the Chesapeake IRB. The last of the modifications of our protocol, informed consent form and recruitment materials were forwarded to the DOD officials two weeks ago for their final review. In spite of significant delay we have not spent hardly any of the funds allocated to the study, and hope to request a no-cost extension to perform the study as originally proposed. In spite of these delays, there have been no changes to the original Statement of Work.
    Key Research Accomplishments: Because of the delays in beginning the project we have no accomplishments to report.
    Reportable Outcomes: None at the present time.
    Conclusion: We have finally overcome several obstacles and are now ready to begin this study, pending only final DOD review and approval."

I just searched with the DOD grant award number W81XWH-10-1-1004.

12. Udarnik

They had to go through the Chesapeake IRB because the study is being conducted in Maryland.

13. shadow

shadow Patron with Honors

Not sure what the above comment is addressing. I may be missing something.....:confused2:

I was just noting the Sep 2012 annual report to the DOD (normal reporting for grants) which stated that after several road blocks and extensive protocol/consent revision, they finally had Chesapeake IRB (an independent IRB) approval and the concurrence of the IRBs from the three universities involved (the University at Albany, the University of Toronto and Sage Colleges). Since this took them to the end of the first year of the grant, that must have been quite a ride. I have never had a protocol take that kind of time with multiple study sites, so can only imagine what took so long.

At the end of the first year, they still needed to get final review by the DOD, which must have taken another year (maybe due to sequester? or due to the requested no cost extension mentioned in the report? or because the DOD still had issues with the protocol?>>who knows) because as of Sep 2013, they were 2 years into the grant, and the Clinicaltrials.gov site was updated in Jan 2014 to change the status to "recruiting" and change the start date to Jan 2014.

The change history is available for all changes made to the clinicaltrials.gov site is helpful to glen some info, but the annual reports they have to submit to the DOD for the grant progress and eventually the clinical study data and report will be the most interesting.

14. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket Gold Meritorious Patron

I hope the pilot study does go through. After all, wasn't it developed by a former DOD employee?

One way or the other, it will establish whether or not the purif has any value.

If it does, it's greatest value is probably in removing absorbed poisons from the body.

Helena

15. CommunicatorIC

Deleted as unnecessary.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  16. Free Being Me

Free Being Me Crusader

Is there anything that removes hubbard from the brain, something like The Brain Bleach Rundown ... lol.

17. secretiveoldfag

secretiveoldfag Silver Meritorious Patron

How much is the alleged religion being paid for the use of its tech in this review?

How much are the volunteer victims being paid to put their lives at risk?

Just when you think things might be getting a tad more rational... :omg:

18. PTS

PTS Elliott

Perhaps the purif will finally be exposed for the unrefined quackery that it is.

19. Sidney18511

Sidney18511 Patron with Honors

This article contains the background information of how a Scientology front group, FASE, was involved in the Manhattan 9/11 TC detox program and approached one of the doctors who is now running the trial.

http://articles.philly.com/2007-10-07/news/25233591_1_dirty-work-scientology-detox

In the 1980s, Bruce Roe, a professor of biochemistry at the University of Oklahoma, was asked to examine the rationale behind Narconon, a Scientology-linked drug-rehabilitation program that employs a similar detox protocol. After studying a stack of published material, Roe called the method "pure unadulterated cow pies."

It's "a scam," he said, based on "half-truths and pseudo-science" and "as medically valid as using copper bracelets to cure arthritis."

Keith Miller, president of FASE, the Los Angeles nonprofit that supports the Manhattan clinic, says his organization has long sought a partnership with other institutions to produce "an independent, university-based research study" of the detox program.

Indeed, one of the experts FASE approached is David Carpenter, a research physician whose professional focus is the effect of environmental contamination on human health.

After FASE contacted him, he twice applied for grants from the National Institutes of Health to evaluate the detox regimen, but was turned down both times. He is committed to trying again.

A professor of environmental health and toxicology, Carpenter is director of the Institute for Health and the Environment at the State University of New York at Albany.

"I'm convinced the program has beneficial effects," he says. "The question from my perspective is: Are they mainly psychological, or is it really ridding the body of nasty chemicals?"

20. dchoiceisalwaysrs

dchoiceisalwaysrs Gold Meritorious Patron

Kitty Kerr and Paul Jaconello MD were of Toronto operating out of the same office not too far from the CofS on Yonge street. Guaranteed both Scientologist in the 80's. I believe when I knew them Kitty was not an MD (yet) but that is a little vague in my memory.

I mention this because I saw on the WWP thread she was discussed a bit. Is she still on the study panel? Maybe that is one contributing factor as to why the Universities were having serious trouble getting the study started??

Also I see the commercial business SPHWC that the study will be conducted in has been delivering this detox program (per the government posted document) it makes me wonder if it is staffed or run or owned by scientologists. (Bias and manipulation potential is my concern here)

I have never designed such a study but I don't see adequate testing or controls or evaluation of Niacin (the claimed Key to the detox program itself).

If this study is going forward is the liver being adequately monitored? (as I have heard that there is risk to it from such high doses of Niacin)