ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

WARNING - scientology may be sending phishing/malware emails re Ron Miscavige's book

Discussion in 'Books and Essays About Scientology' started by Free to shine, Apr 29, 2016.

1. oneonewasaracecar

oneonewasaracecar Gold Meritorious Patron

Re: WARNING - scientology may be sending phishing/malware emails re Ron Miscavige's b

Thanks for clearing that up Karen.

Protip, any time you click a link, you are potentially doing the following

- Notifying the sender of the email that you have read it
    - Notifying the sender of the email when you have read it
    - Notifying the sender of the email the rough geographical location where you were when you have read it
    - Notifying the sender of the email details about the computer you are using (such as browser type and version)
    - Opening a webpage which can contain active software which can compromise your computer without your knowledge and consent
    - Giving immediate notification to a hacker that you are online
    - Giving immediate notification to a hacker of your IP address
    - Directing you to a website which can immediately download all your cookies and will know your browsing history.

Spammers of all types may do some of these things (such as getting read receipts to see how effective their spamming is). Mostly, data is probably collected for marketing information, where you are personally not being targeted. Many times, data is collected for benign reasons.

Personally, I google websites and find out about them before I visit them. I never click unknown links.