What's new

What is the purpose of Life?

petraph33

Patron with Honors
Yep, that's the conclusion I came to as well. :)

Totally agree with that, to create a happy life, do things you enjoy, create something nice for yourself and others around you. I want to reach a point where I am working for a living but with something I really enjoy, and I think I have just found a way to do that today. Now that I have found the way, it gives me a purpose to pursue that way and working with something that really makes me happy and is also giving others a happy life: Pets and their owners. It's a constructive, lovely thing to do, and I will even get paid for it. I think that will be very good, and I belief the purpose of life is to live life in a happy way with something you really want, and what makes you happy, accomplished. Instead of "following a purpose to a better life and wellbeing and total freedom" that then turns out to be a total fraud, after you spent half your life in it and gave it all you've got.
I rather do something that I can enjoy and experience improvement with and am happy about right here and now. How about that? :yes: :thumbsup:

Tanstaafl

Crusader
You're far closer to the truth than you may realise.

No offense Leon, but I think this remark comes over as patronising and is more likely to turn someone away from further investigation of the possibility (although I'm sure Colleen is immune to such effects).

Haven't we all escaped from a group that "knows everything" and "knows what's good for us"?

I may be being way too sensitive on this (and if so, I apologise) but I think there are better ways of phrasing such remarks.

Sincerely,

tanstaafl

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
I may be being way too sensitive on this (and if so, I apologise) but I think there are better ways of phrasing such remarks.

Sincerely,

tanstaafl

Too sensitive!!!

Let's BULLBAIT THEN!!!

You just feel that way because you've been a huge "Mr. Know-it-all" yourself.

There.

Feel better?

Sensitivity gone?

If not, I have some lotion you can rub on it.

Tanstaafl

Crusader
Too sensitive!!!

Let's BULLBAIT THEN!!!

There.

Feel better?

Sensitivity gone?

You seem to think that I'm afraid of offending people. Not at all. I don't know Leon and I don't know the purpose of his post. I err on the side of people being well-intentioned (yourself being an honorable exception :D ) and aim to be polite.

I think I have a good ability to assess my own strengths and weaknesses. I don't think being a Mr Know-it-All is one of them.

I have my own lotion thankyou. I put it on a rash on my arm and it made it smart, so Mrs T suggested I put some on my head. Sadly, it failed to create the desired effect. :melodramatic:

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
You seem to think that I'm afraid of offending people. Not at all. I don't know Leon and I don't know the purpose of his post. I err on the side of people being well-intentioned (yourself being an honorable exception :D ) and aim to be polite.

I think I have a good ability to assess my own strengths and weaknesses. I don't think being a Mr Know-it-All is one of them.

I have my own lotion thankyou. I put it on a rash on my arm and it made it smart, so Mrs T suggested I put some on my head. Sadly, it failed to create the desired effect. :melodramatic:

Flunk.

You had to go into a long winded explanation/defense of yourself.

Start:

There.

Feel better?

Sensitivity gone?

Tanstaafl

Crusader
Flunk.

You had to go into a long winded explanation/defense of yourself.

Sir, I shall fight to the death, if necessary, to preserve my rights and yours, to be long-winded whenever we so choose.

Start:

There.

Feel better?

Sensitivity gone?

Why the hell would I play this game when I can just listen to Pigs of Uranus by Pink Fairies and lose sensitivity to all of reality? :yes:

I'll stick to erring on the side of being over-sensitive than numb.
Anyway, there's always some cretin who comes along once in a while (e.g. Open Mind) who allows me to spit some venom without concern for the consequences. :thumbsup:

The Oracle

Gold Meritorious Patron
Life is about magic.

Simple magic and complex magic.

It's all magic and spells have been cast.

Imagine waking up in a maze and not even remembering how you got there.

There is black magic and white magic.

The purpose of life for me is to break every spell.

Also to meet the challenge of black magic and transform it when I can to white magic.

It's not about being holy as people have been led to believe.

It's not even totally about intelligence.

It's only about being able to see it.

Once you can see it you can know about it.

Once you begin to unravel it's mysteries you can convert it from negative to positive.

Much of Scientology (don't care to defend or debate this if you don't mind) is about magic.

Once you can see it and know about it, Earth and everything in it becomes a wonderland.

If you can't see it, you become the effect of it and many people have even come to depend on it.

I enjoy converting black magic to white magic.

I enjoy the challenges of mystery and illusions cast upon me that I have to work my way out of.

I like not knowing and then finding out.

This is the purpose of life for me.

My rewards are when magical things happen.

T.I.

radar

Patron
People philosophise with this question and add their own personal moral code to it but the answer remains a secret, which makes life seemingly pointless when you look at the big picture.
I was about 13yrs old when I began to think life was a bit odd. All this schooling, people going about their business travelling to work and back, mom worrying about bills that needed paying, dad working his socks off all day and night and everyone going about their daily lives seemingly unaware that we are all marooned on a planet, spinning in endless space somewhere and upon which everyone of us was shortly going to die.
I was not some sort of young philosopher back then, who regularly contemplated life, I simply would get this feeling inside me that there was something very wrong with the picture of the world I was seeing. It was insane! It struck me even back then, that the population of adults who set about making rules and regulations and shaping this world I live on, were no more wiser than a child with regard to the basic questions of life.

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
Life is about magic.

My rewards are when magical things happen.

T.I.

yes, my rewards are when magical things happen, too

In th 3rd Pirates movie, Rolling Sone's Keith Richards did a cameo appearance
his opening line floored me..i have wondered how he chose to say this..

He said, and I paraphrase:

"People go through their whole lives searching for immortality,
when all they really have to do is find themselves."

Leon

Gold Meritorious Patron
It's not even totally about intelligence.

It's only about being able to see it.

Once you can see it you can know about it.

Once you begin to unravel it's mysteries you can convert it from negative to positive.

T.I.

One of the popular "scientific" "everybody knows" bits of bullshit that has been floating around for the last hundred or more years is that there is such a thing as "intelligence".

No such thing has ever been shown to exist. It doesn't exist.

All there is is a willingness to get involved.

When someone gets to be able to show which bit of the brain equates to willingness.....well, I'm not holding my breath.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
One of the popular "scientific" "everybody knows" bits of bullshit that has been floating around for the last hundred or more years is that there is such a thing as "intelligence".

No such thing has ever been shown to exist. It doesn't exist.

All there is is a willingness to get involved.

Oh Leon, I've found that definition of the ability to recognize differences, similarities and identities so useful in life.

I don't find that one about willingness to get involved useful. Do you?

It sounds very similar to Hubbard's statement that one never loses an ability, merely the willingness to demonstrate that ability, which sounds like it ought to be useful in processing but never worked when I tried to self-audit things like being able to levitate. :). (True, though.)

It's certainly useful in the SO or other places where you can terrify someone into raising their necessity level enough to perform some feat they had previously thought impossible.

Paul

Leon

Gold Meritorious Patron
Oh Paul, I'm sure you did find it useful, and it is, because it describes one aspect of "intelligence". But only one.

Definition:

INTELLIGENCE, The willingness to pervade, duplicate, participate and contribute towards any given area. It is the being's willingness to know, to reach, to understand, and to have. Stupidity it the unwillingness to do any of the above.

IQ tests measure the willingness to do the above with those little puzzles they ask you to do.

Recognising differences, similarities and identities is what you can do when you do apply the above definition.

Any difficulty with any so called "lack of intelligence" can be resolved likewise when you apply the above definition.

I call that useful.

I'm sure your experiences with attempts to levitate will improve when you fully apply the above and get to the real issues regarding your abandonment of that ability.

The Oracle

Gold Meritorious Patron
yes, my rewards are when magical things happen, too

In th 3rd Pirates movie, Rolling Sone's Keith Richards did a cameo appearance
his opening line floored me..i have wondered how he chose to say this..

He said, and I paraphrase:

"People go through their whole lives searching for immortality,
when all they really have to do is find themselves."

There is a common theory amoungst anthropologists that you have to immerse yourself in unfamiliar worlds to understand your own.

T.I.