ESMB is now closed to new registrations. Please go to www.exscn2.net and register there.

What's Up W/ San Diego Org?

Discussion in 'North America' started by Barbz, Feb 10, 2012.

View Users: View Users
  1. Barbz

Barbz Patron with Honors

There are a number of things I wonder about.

1. The Ideal Org property is back on the market.
    2. Jonathon Gerson and the sale of the org at 4th and Ash.
    3. J. Gerson and the $50,000 debt run up by Applied Scholastics Academy.

This org hasn't folded. They still have the kiosk at Parkway Plaza over December holidays, and last year paid for a booth at the Del Mar Fair.

Ben and Edward, what the dealio? Any news at all?

2. La La Lou Lou

La La Lou Lou Crusader

DM's escape fund, just needs a sale to get the Bulgravia express plane.

3. Ted

Ted Gold Meritorious Patron

My limited perception of the area says to me that they don't have a snowball's chance in hell of surviving much less prospering.

There used to be a prosperous mission in the area, Adams Ave. first adjacent to the Kensington area, then moving to El Cajon Blvd., the Chula Vista Mission, and the La Jolla Mission. Now there's ?

Many of the major contributors to the org and the ideal org project have been in or around Scientology for 20 to 30 years. One day nature will run its course and they will fade away. Who will fill their places?

We at Adams Ave. worked the Del Mar Fair back in '74-'75. If just one person signs aboard then progresses through a couple of major services the fair is paid for.

They should sell their ideal org property, at a tremendous loss, mock up a shore story--maybe some SP was behind it all--and make it so ludricous that even the most faithful wake up.

4. Barbz

Barbz Patron with Honors

Regarding the Chula Vista mission: we staked it out one Saturday. Not one customer. Later that month they moved from a street-level unit to upstairs.

There's never any activity, just a card stuck to the door with a phone number.
    They can't be doing well.

5. GoNuclear

GoNuclear Gold Meritorious Patron

It's 30 years ago this year that the MOWW franchise mission holder network was wiped out at the famous meeting in October of 1982, and just over 30 years since the Connecticut missions with mission holder F. Brown McKee broke away from the Cof$. Since shortly before that time ... going back to 78/79 or thereabouts ... the intent was to rip off the field by selling expensive mission startup packs and not to generate a flow of new people into the orgs via the missions. That was back in the days of the monthly price increases and the insanity it caused. The field was being squeezed for cash. The cash squeeze has been going on ever since, only other scams have been used ... the Idle Org scam, the StooperPower scam, and the IAS scam with new urgencies pitched at events several times per year.

In otherwords, the Cof$ doesn't give a shit that these missions are empty, that was the plan all along anyways.

Pete

6. Ted

Chula Vista was never a booming Mission. Neither was La Jolla. Both regged, trained students, and sent their pc's to Adams Ave. for processing. Adams Ave. went through its heyday in the mid-'70s. It rose from a quiet, little book nook to a booming Mission and then receded into near darkness by the late-'70s / early-'80s. The San Diego Org was barely a blip on the radar during that period.

Hubbard's games condition is that he professed to want planetary clearing, to make a civilization without criminals where able beings could prosper, where the able among us could rise to the prophecies of OT.

None of that is being realized. Why? I submit that Hubbard could not have it. Able beings, throughout the years, have been ground up by his organizations, particularly his highest orgs as manifest in the SO. His most loyal staffs are overworked, paid poorly, fed poorly, housed poorly, and it only gets worse from there should they wind up in the RPF.

Stellar producers in Scientology have come and gone. They arrive because they see something in the PR/front materials that attracts them, Hubbard's stated goals, sensible policy, etc. They leave when they realize the goals are unattainable because of the organization or when giving it their all, they find themselves the target of unjust justice actions.

With organized Scientology you are looking at a somewhat living, breathing, service fac, organized to dramatize being right in the face of obvious insanities. That the Mission network produced some high-output Missions, sending people up the Bridge, making money, etc. was a plus-point to be evaluated. Why were many of the orgs doing so poorly in comparison?

Hubbard mocked the idea of that case condition he called "the only one." In the mocking he gave students the idea that he was not such a being. But he was. He was very much an "only one."

That was part of his games condition package.

And that's what I have to say this morning.

:thumbsup:

7. Mark A. Baker

Mark A. Baker Sponsor

Yup. A central apect of the heightened sense of irony I feel about the scientology organization is how hubbard & the church were/are themselves dramatizing pretty much everything which they claim to be out to eradicate. Their behavior constitutes an excellent guide to 'outpoints' and 'what not to do'.

Mark A. Baker

8. Mister Mike

Mister Mike Patron

Before I begin, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster who was never a member of Scientology, but interested all the same.

As far as I can tell, the Chula Vista mission rolled over and died sometime in 2008. They still have a running website, but the phone number was reassigned. What used to be their ground floor office is now a computer repair place.

Scientology is quickly exiting San Diego county; when you can't keep up two Applied Scholastics schools*, your group is in trouble. BTW, they still keep the lights on all night over at their abandoned ruin in La Mesa, and the skaters glide through there all the time.

*Nobody in the media ever mentioned that there were two AS schools in the county; the one up in North County and the tiny offshoot in La Mesa. It was in the mall on the corner of Amaya and Severin; it was empty for months before they took the signage down. Pretty much a two-room school full of shelves and dividers; it looked claustrophobic.

9. SanDiegoMember

SanDiegoMember Howard Dickman

Damn, you guys over there were powerhouses! Heck, with Claudia and Enid there was no way we at the Org could keep up. We did, however, beat you at those two baseball games in March and April of 77! LOL

ARC
    Howard

10. Ted

Really?

As I recall, selective though my recall may be, y'all got whooped every time!

The San Diego Psychos! I heard the someone up lines took exception to the name. :coolwink:

11. SanDiegoMember

SanDiegoMember Howard Dickman

Got whooped! I don't think so. San Diego ED #241 27 March 1977 "San Diego "Psycho's" crushed the Adams Avenue "Aberee's" in a 9 to 3 victory". I really think that the reason we won was because of our cheer leading squad, the irrepressible "Psychettes"! Poor ole Larry had to wear the flasher suit! Those were the days. LOL

BaseBall1.jpg

12. TG1

TG1 Angelic Poster

I have long-ago friends in San Diego who are Kool-aid addicts and big donators (hundreds of thousands of dollars) to the ideal org down there. And they're not rich people.

Is there anyone here who can give recent on-the-ground observations about how SD true blue Kool-aid drinkers are dealing with this huge rejection by San Diego citizens of the San Diego ideal org?

I would think at least some of them would be all WTF?, otherwise known as stuck in the bullpen, otherwise known as cognitive dissonance. :coolwink:

TG1

13. Ted

Okay. I must not have been at that game. :cool wink:

Love the picture!

We had fun in those days!

14. Mister Mike

Mister Mike Patron

My question to the people who were Scientologists in San Diego is where were some of these places located? I only ask because some of this stuff doesn't exist on the Internet at all*. For example, where was the La Jolla mission? The state business listings only have a PO Box and the owners were somewhere in South Lake Tahoe! Also, was the Adams Avenue mission in Kensington or Normal Heights?

* Yeah I know I'm being lazy; I could probably dig the things out of old phone books in the library or microfiche.

15. Ted

3200 Adams Ave.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=3200%20ADAMS%20AVE%20STE%20202%20SAN%20DIEGO%20CA%20&sll=&sspn=&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=3200%20ADAMS%20AVE%20STE%20202%20SAN%20DIEGO%20CA%20&z=&ll=

It's now a Mexican restaurant. We used to do TRs behind the glass windows. Swing the map around for a full view. I have many good memories from that location. I got to work with some great people, most of whom I have lost touch with, some of whom remain good friends.

People from the laundromat would watch us wondering "WTF?" JC's office was, at one time, to the right. Then we expanded to auditing rooms upstairs and he moved his office up there, too. We ran upper indocs out back in the alley. When we were booming the students would arrive, we'd pair them up, and off they would go to apartments and houses in the neighborhood to conduct their sessions.

Is that Normal Heights? I think so. Kensington is down the street a few blocks.

16. FoTi

FoTi Crusader

What about the place that they moved to when they were busting the seams on Adams Ave? That old supermarket that they took over and fixed up.... was it on El Cajon Blvd?

17. Ted

Busting at the seams, ya, we were.

But when that energy transferred to a much large space, the energy did not seem so great. We had some catching up to do. We never busted out at the larger facility although overall productivity did increase significantly for a few years.

I believe the door now to Papa John's was the entry to the mission. The rest of the building to the left did not exist. That area now covered with buildings was a parking lot back in the day.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=High+Line+Park,+529+West+20th+Street,+Suite+8W,+New+York,+NY+10011&hl=en&ll=40.744006,-74.00691&spn=0.057615,0.111151&sll=38.623814,-74.297675&sspn=19.194791,39.506836&vpsrc=0&hq=High+Line+Park,+529+West+20th+Street,+Suite+8W,+New+York,+NY+10011&t=m&layer=c&cbll=40.744059,-74.006972&panoid=RqWplFVaoIFX1ADDSCOMXA&cbp=13,359.04,,0,1.76&z=14;source=embed&utm_campaign=en&utm_medium=et&utm_source=en-et-na-us-gns-svn

18. Mister Mike

Mister Mike Patron

Thanks for the information, Ted.

Personally I think it would be best for Scientology in San Diego to give up the Ideal Org fantasy, sell the place in La Mesa, and figure out what they need to do to survive in Southern California. I'm thinking "smaller office building" or "rented house."

I have my own Scientology building: 4616 Avocado Boulevard, Rancho San Diego (some maps say La Mesa.) On Google Maps the building is still Helix Postal, but it's now a cash for gold office. Back in the early 1980s that building was an Apple School, and I went there for six months. At the time both sides were storefront, and the school didn't last for very long (possibly as much as a year and a half.) They had moved out of an old convent in Chula Vista*; I've heard there was another school or schools in Del Mar and/or El Cajon that were in houses with trailers. As for Avocado Boulevard I have few memories of what I did there, it was an "open learning environment"....I don't remember Hubbard pictures or doing things in clay, just a lot of side things (a Halloween costume party, certain kids, field trips, etc.) None of that helped a math disability, so I left for a school in El Cajon. We would drive past the Apple School to get to the new school and six months later or less it was a either an exterminator's office or a luxury car repair garage (it's been both) and what had been my classroom was now a garage or storage space.

* I heard about the ex-nunnery when the school yearbooks came out and they had all been shot in that place. Does this ring any bells to anybody?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  19. Ted

I went to Tucson in 1978 to deal with the Mission there. Maybe I could give it a kick in the butt with some good auditing, set an example that it could certainly be done, then see where to go from there.

By 1980 I was very happy with what I was doing--except for nothing I could do moved the scene forward by much. At the time I did not know that the rest of Scientology, with a few exception, was also plodding along like molasses in January.

I was torn between the "booming expansion" idea proffered by Management and the reality of my situation sans boom. I was harboring the idea of renting a big house in the foothills to run courses and provide auditing. I could have continued in that way for quite some time with a minimal staff, all well paid. But this idea of mine did not fit the ideal for a Mission, you know, flooding people in, them buying books, lots of Div 6 courses, and all that unrealistic stuff. Yes, I said unrealistic.

What is or was real is certain people winning with their auditing and courses, them telling friends about it, and those friends seeking more information by coming into a relaxed atmosphere to find out "Wassup? 'Cause I think I could use some of whatever my friend is taking."

So about that idea of the org moving into a house, they were into a house at one time I think over on 4th Avenue. (Or one of those street number avenues.) And instead of having a BIG org with all the bills and staff and other expenses, a house or two or three or more would make a fine org. Call it an org system. Spread it out so people don't have to fight traffic to arrive. Spread it out so if one unit suffers downstats and closes, the others can remain open.

But whether that system is adopted or the BIG, BIG, flamboyant, ostentatious, pretentious org building (I just saw the Power Building in CW for the first time.) is adopted, any prosperity new people arriving will be dependent on book buyers/readers. Well, not now with all the crazy stuff the church has gotten itself into, bad press, bad PR etc. But that's the way it was for a time. Book buyers/readers got interested, and people observed other people winning and found an interest in how that was coming about.

The problem with the book buyer situation is that once upon a time the author (LRH) wrote a best-selling book, people scooped it up, and an excitement was generated. Now think about this: That author was in Affluence, or Power--you pick. And thereafter he never again wrote a best-seller that reached the public. So the organization was dependent on someone in a lower condition for its prosperity. Yep. The best-selling author was never again a best-selling author on the NY Times list. The only way the Dianetics book got sold in any quantity was by gimmick and force. The stat got pushed, but the product was not there: a book-buyer/reader.

There were some books that people enjoyed: How To Choose Your People was one. Lots of people would choose this one over Science of Survival. We used to have some small books by Peter Gilliam and others. These were popular. And these items sold right up to the point that we ere ordered to take them off the shelves.

So the one-time-best-selling-author got his knickers in a knot, and he wouldn't let anyone else play the game. Whether it's books authorship, Dianetic dissem, or other public outreach, the old fart wouldn't allow someone else to be successful in what he obviously considered to be his game, and only his game.

I could go on, but that's it for now.

20. Ho Tai

Ho Tai Patron Meritorious

In a way I'm glad that the non-stop regging for idle orgs, libraries, IAS, superpower, basics etc. took place. I ended up poorer than I might have otherwise, but the end result is that I am out. Yet I still look back fondly on the days when I would come to a simple, unassuming place and do some auditing. I really did have some improvement from the process, though I would credit my auditors' personal caring at least as much as I would credit the 'tech'. The last year or two that I was in was a very bad time. I was on the verge of what I thought would be the most exciting time of my life, and instead it was regging, ethics, regging, more regging. I'm embarrassed that I put up with that crap.